2022 New York Mets off-season thread

NJDevs4978

24 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

This is why I am a repressed Mets fan, it's a freaking curse. It has to be

Oh it is

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

A low-grade strain in 'both' the ankle and knee for Nimmo lol...guess it could be worse, at least he still has a shot for Opening Day I guess, though he's listed as week to week.

Yeah we’ll see.  At least it doesn’t appear to be anything too serious at the moment.  

Wow, his WBC country must be crushed...oh yeah, that's right, no skin off their backs once this "But the rest of the world LOVES it!" tournament comes to a merciful end.  

This thing really needs to stop being a thing.  At least with major-leaguers involved.

Mercifully the WBC ends tonight with US-Japan. It’d actually be hilarious if the most apathetic fan base won a second straight WBC. Not that I’ll be watching, even if I was inclined to watch, all this over the top hyping this as bigger than the World Series from players and some in the media is a major turnoff. You’d have thought Trea Turner’s grand slam was off of Gerrit Cole in the actual WS, not off some Reds minor league pitcher in the WBC semis.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Mercifully the WBC ends tonight with US-Japan. It’d actually be hilarious if the most apathetic fan base won a second straight WBC. Not that I’ll be watching, even if I was inclined to watch, all this over the top hyping this as bigger than the World Series from players and some in the media is a major turnoff. You’d have thought Trea Turner’s grand slam was off of Gerrit Cole in the actual WS, not off some Reds minor league pitcher in the WBC semis.

Yeah the fact is that most Americans don't give a flying fvck about this...other countries do because whatever leagues that they have in place don't hold a candle to MLB (I think the Japanese league is comparable to AA ball or so from what I've read...and that is clearly the second-best pro league in the world).  The other leagues aren't a melting pot of top talent from all around the world.  National pride is lovely, I get it, but I don't care, that can't supercede the importance of guys getting paid several millions of dollars by their respective franchises to compete in MLB, with much more on the line.  If I'm the Mets, I'm PISSED.  If I'm the Astros, I'm PISSED.  I don't feel like MLB has to "share" its top talent with some temporary tournament loved by people who have pretty much NO stake in MLB players' and teams' welfare once it's all over.

And some people continue to bend over backwards to try to defend important players getting hurt:  "Anything can happen anywhere!  What if..."  For sure.  I simply don't want it happening in some "But national pride!" tournament where the only ones with the potential to get screwed are the major-league franchises paying them.  Like I said, if my guys get hurt during an appropriate activity while suiting up for the team that's actually PAYING them, so be it.  If something goofy happens during any given player's day where he wakes up with a back issue, or trips over a curb and twists an ankle or heaven forbid breaks a bone, OK...yes, crazy sh!t can happen, and often does.  But I'm sorry, I 100% draw the line at "No baseball activities outside of MLB the second my players report to spring training, through the end of my team's season.  No tournaments, nothing.  You're playing for MY team, I'm paying you quite handsomely for that service, you need to be all-in HERE!"  In an era where guys are on $100 million, $200 million, even $300+ million contracts, that's the way it goes boys...you want to make millions, you have to accept making the sacrifice not to participate in the WBC.  That's it.  Play all you want when you retire.  

The irony is one of the main reasons I've never been pro-WBC isn't even the potential for injuries per se, but more the fact you just can't have a fully operational pitching staff given the timing of it and certain teams seem to be able to lean on players not to play more than others (where the hell are Judge and Cole for example?  All the Met guys are playing - or tried to play, other than the old farts).  Not to mention the dubious qualification of certain guys, including one of our 'favorites' Marcus Stroman pitching for Puerto Rico this time after pitching for the US in the last tournament.  I get we're a melting pot and all but that's ridiculous.

But the pitching staff concern isn't as much of an issue in 2023 as it would have been in 2006 or whenever the hell this started since starting pitchers aren't anywhere near as big in baseball now as they were then anyway.  Basically the WBC is what a regular postseason looks like now - starters go for four innings and bullpen it up the rest of the way.

I don't know if there's a better time for it than March unfortunately.  Leaving November out as an option - I'd rather these guys pitch fresh and rusty than a combination of exhausted and rusty depending on when your season ended - the only other two times you could have it are mid-season a la the NHL (which isn't feasible since baseball would be giving up prime summer dates) and April - fvck it, have a normal ST, then have the WBC.  Minor leaguers can play in the minors, the majors can play in the WBC or in extended Spring Training a la the 'alternate site' games during COVID and you wouldn't have to worry about three sh!tty weeks of cold-weather attendance and rainouts in the northeast. 

Of course you'd neccesarily have to end the season later to get in all 162 if you pushed back the start by 2-3 weeks, which could be an issue in the postseason unless you (gak) went to a neutral site for the World Series, a Bora$ wet dream.  Or just start Spring Training earlier, have the four weeks or whatever in Florida, then the three WBC weeks.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Gotta hand it to baseball though, Vince McMahon couldn’t have scripted this ending any better for max water cooler talk. Ohtani just made himself another $100 million with this tournament, if that was even possible lol

Edited by NJDevs4978