Blackwood update

Nicomo

Guess we gotta wait to hear what grade it is:

MCL Sprain Diagnosis & Valgus Stress Test - Sportsinjuryclinic.net

But yeah, that doesn't sound promising.  Guess we'll find out how many games Vanecek can start before fatigue sets in.  Three "easier" games coming up after Calgary...guess that's as good of a time as any to give Schmid a game.  

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Probably looking at about a month. You have to think this is his last season as a Devil. Dude just can’t be counted on to stay healthy. 

I can’t see them re-upping him at this point. Although this was more of a freak kind of injury that I don’t think he can be blamed for, I don’t see why they would be looking to retain his services. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

Probably looking at about a month. You have to think this is his last season as a Devil. Dude just can’t be counted on to stay healthy. 

Yeah some guys are just cursed that way.  Curious to see how Schmid or Daws does on a team that is greatly improved defensively.  Not sure if Bernier will get a look...guess there would have to be some cap finagling to fit his cap hit in.

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But yeah, that doesn't sound promising.  Guess we'll find out how many games Vanecek can start before fatigue sets in.  Three "easier" games coming up after Calgary...guess that's as good of a time as any to give Schmid a game.  

From my limited knowledge (and 2 semesters of Sports Injuries classes in college for my minor), the fact that it’s being qualified as a “sprain” means it’s either grade 1 or 2. A grade-3 sprain is a full tear. 

Soft tissue injuries are the fvcking worst. Hope for a speedy recovery.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

GIF by Giffffr

It sucks. Vanecek has played pretty well though, so no reason to think he isn't up to the task yet.

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Bummer in that it happened in such a weird play. He lunged to stop a rebound that took a funny bounce off I think Graves. Just a freak injury but jeez

At least “sprained” sounds better than “torn”

sprain just means partial tear. it’s just not (thankfully) a full tear. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's not entirely true. A sprain can be a partial tear, but it could also be stretched without a tear, 

Specifically in terms of ligament injuries I’m almost certain the diagnosis of “sprain” means “tear” and the severity is either Grade I (torn ligament fibers), Grade II (moderately torn ligament) and Grade III (complete tear of ligament).

I got a C in this class tho lmao so who knows

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Specifically in terms of ligament injuries I’m almost certain the diagnosis of “sprain” means “tear” and the severity is either Grade I (torn ligament fibers), Grade II (moderately torn ligament) and Grade III (complete tear of ligament).

I got a C in this class tho lmao so who knows

I am pretty sure I have read otherwise on the Mayo Clinic website. Not to say that most severe sprains don’t involve some tearing, pretty sure they do. Also, pretty sure that one that makes a hockey player sit out probably does. That’s why I said it wasn’t entirely correct, instead of just saying, you’re wrong, you’re a moron.

There doesn't seem to be a front runner yet for who the next Devils starting goalie will be (unless Vanecek turns out to be a mid-long term solution, which would be amazing).

But, there are some solid options. Schmid and Daws are both developing pretty well. Schmid could end up surprising us, he has looked good when I've watched him. Tyler Brennan is having a good start in the WHL this season, and is probably the best bet of the Devils' prospect pool to have a solid NHL career. Cole Brady is the other guy - hasn't had a ton of starts in the NCAA over the past 2 years, but he has done well so far this season with a new team. Not as hopeful for him, though. Malek and Senn seem pretty far away from making any kind of impact.

I think the ideal situation is Vanecek proves to be at least an average starter, while Schmid takes the role of an adequate backup until Tyler Brennan is ready to take that spot and eventually transition to a starting role. Lots of things have to go right for that to happen, of course. It also assumes Blackwood isn't in the future plans.

10 minutes ago, nessus said:

Tyler Brennan is having a good start in the WHL this season, and is probably the best bet of the Devils' prospect pool to have a solid NHL career.

Curious why you see Brennan as a better bet than Daws? Daws was the top rated North American goalie in his draft class, and a 3rd round pick. 

6 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Shows how much we took for granted when Marty was on this team.  Not only was he a top netminder, but the guy almost never got injured and played 70 games a season.  

Blackwood has the tools to be a top 10 goalie in this league, but he can't stay healthy.  Hopefully this injury is minor and he's out only a month.  

Combine the number of games he played in his twelve 70+ game seasons, he made 887 appearances in those seasons alone...as many as Lundqvist made for his ENTIRE CAREER (15 seasons).  1266 career regular season appearances...no one else has been even close to 1100...of course, only two others have cracked 1000 (Luongo and Roy), and looks like MAF might have a shot at making it (he's at 948).  Doubt we see anyone that freakishly durable, but it's also been proven that you don't really NEED to have one goalie play so many games...one guy getting 60-70% of the starts is often just fine.  One could even argue that Marty could've benefitted from not playing as much as he did.

But yeah, some guys who have ability just can't stay healthy.  And when it comes to making plans beyond this season, I have to assume Mac is one of them.    

Just now, Nicomo said:

3 weeks sounds overly optimistic, but who knows. 

I'm guessing 6-8.  With Mac, for me the question is will it be a nagging thing that affects him the rest of the season?

Wonder if we'll ever hear anything concrete re:  Palat.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm guessing 6-8.  With Mac, for me the question is will it be a nagging thing that affects him the rest of the season?

Wonder if we'll ever hear anything concrete re:  Palat.

Again, speaking as a C-student who only took a couple classes as his minor back in 2014, I feel as though I am overqualified to answer this question.

The answer is usually no. Where things like groin injuries can linger and derail seasons, MCL/ACL/PCL injuries are almost always "full recovery and then back to normal" unless it's a horrible/total rupture like you see sometimes in football. But that's not what this is. 

In the scheme of things this feels ok. I was worried it would be a hip thing. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Again, speaking as a C-student who only took a couple classes as his minor back in 2014, I feel as though I am overqualified to answer this question.

The answer is usually no. Where things like groin injuries can linger and derail seasons, MCL/ACL/PCL injuries are almost always "full recovery and then back to normal" unless it's a horrible/total rupture like you see sometimes in football. But that's not what this is. 

In the scheme of things this feels ok. I was worried it would be a hip thing. 

Same, given his position it is much better than if it was a hip or groin. I was pretty sure it wasn’t that based on how he was holding his leg, but he was also kind of flopping around like a fish out of water a little so it was hard to say for sure.