Devils name Martin Brodeur Executive VP of Hockey Ops

MadDog2020

Cool that someone who figured so heavily into the on-ice part of this franchise's history still has a legitimate place here.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

"Marty has been a tremendous resource to me with his experience, input, foresight, and relationships throughout the hockey world," Fitzgerald said in a statement. "It makes sense to formalize and give clarity to his roles and responsibilities within the organization. I am excited that he has committed to staying with us, as we all work to continue to return New Jersey to the levels of success that Marty reached here as a player."

Brodeur played 21 of his 22 NHL seasons with the Devils and led them to three Stanley Cup championships. He is the NHL leader in more than a dozen categories, including regular-season wins (691) and shutouts (125), and won the Vezina Trophy as the league's top goaltender four times before retiring in 2015.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

What I want to know now is this: is Marty above Fitz in the organizational hierarchy? Is the buck now stopping with Marty? I need this clarified.

Based on Fitz's quote, it sounds like he's Fitz's ultimate right-hand man.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

What I want to know now is this: is Marty above Fitz in the organizational hierarchy? Is the buck now stopping with Marty? I need this clarified.

Tom Fitz is Executive Vice President and GM, I imagine that is above EVP of Hockey Operations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Oh no who’s going to design the jerseys now?!?

Great to have the goat staying in the fold!

With all due respect to Marty, maybe it'll be a good thing if someone else is making those calls lol

Those Hispanic Heritage Night jerseys were so awesome, though. I'd love to see something themed they pull out every October/November...day of the dead and Hispanic Heritage in one or something.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Great news. Excited to see where Marty gets in and I like that we'll see him looking at our goaltenders and assisting in that field of development. It's nice to see him around still. 

You can see how excited he is.  Would be cool if more young goalies played the way he did (hybrid with excellent puck-handing skills).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You can see how excited he is.  Would be cool if more young goalies played the way he did (hybrid with excellent puck-handing skills).

I’m shocked more goalies didn’t copy his style and develop their puck handling. It changes the game up for a team when a goalie can set up in the zone or hit a forward with a stretch pass 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I would think not having to rely solely on the butterfly would help with durability also. 

I know it’s all about positioning and covering as much as the net as possible but damn butterfly goaltending is boring as hell compared to the 80’s and 90’s stuff. In my opinion of course. 

• Like 1