Jump to content

GDT: Devils @ Canadiens 7:00 pm Velcome Vack Vitek Vanecek


Colorado Rockies 1976
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

What else is there to say?  Going for 10 in a row and 13 out of 14.  Opponents and media alike taking notice of the skills on display.  We have ourselves a good hockey team…an honest-to-goodness, good hockey team.  And this thing is just getting started.

L G M F D!

image.gif.c5b24b9c3dea34f585ae416970aad0b7.gif

 

** EDIT:  That weird purple bar at the top of this post is a meme gone bad that for some reason I can't fully get rid of.  Oh well.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

 

 

I understand winning 9 games is already impressive and that they'll inevitably have to lose one at some point. But let's win this one.

That’s crazy talk, obviously we are winning out this season and nothing can stop us. 

LGD. Keep the streak going so @Colorado Rockies 1976 can keep his job as official GDT creator of 2022-23. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

if the Devils win tonight, the purple bar will become a GDT staple.

if the Devils lose tonight, the purple bar will become the very thing we swear to destroy. 

a lot on the line for the purple bar tonight. 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, MB3 said:

if the Devils win tonight, the purple bar will become a GDT staple.

if the Devils lose tonight, the purple bar will become the very thing we swear to destroy. 

a lot on the line for the purple bar tonight. 

I suggest we open a bar called "The Purple Bar" and make it the absolute best place to watch a Devils game in the entire world. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I suggest we open a bar called "The Purple Bar" and make it the absolute best place to watch a Devils game in the entire world. 

If the Devils win this game, I’m in. I’ll do the design pro bono. 

If the Devils lose this game I’m counting on you to purchase (1) chicken, name him “the purple bar” and massacre the thing on facebook live.

huge stakes. pressure makes diamonds. let’s go.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I suggest we open a bar called "The Purple Bar" and make it the absolute best place to watch a Devils game in the entire world. 

th?id=OIP.hGedGqbEq_LUGv6JaCmXQQHaDt&pid=Api&P=0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Jack vs the media may turn into one of the great feuds of our time

I know the media has its job to do but they do ask their fair share of dumb questions.

And seriously, did the media think that they Devils were going to just continue to outshoot everyone 39-22 or thereabouts?  During most games there's a bit of ebb and flow.

The special teams have been largely meh lately, but that hasn't cost them a win yet.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know this will be met with a lot of "oh who the hell cares" but as someone who's been listening to Spittin Chiclets since episode 1, and listening to them rag on the Devils every year deservedly so for being a doormat... it's becoming a weekly segment on their show where Biz and Whit talk about how wrong they were and how dominant our team is. RA even compared us to last year's avalanche, saying "they won without tier-1 goaltending last year, who knows how far these Devils can go". They pump the tires of everyone, but spent a long segment talking about John Marino; they're astounded at how good this guy is. 

Biz also told a story about Lindy Ruff that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Biz was outside of a bar last year in Buffalo when Lindy came up to him and asked for a cigarette. Biz thought "oh this guy recognizes me from Spittin Chiclets!". Biz gives him a cigarette, Lindy takes a match from behind his ear, and while he's lighting it with his thumbnail he asks "hey, any chance you'd want to come on the podcast this offseason?" 

Lindy took a long drag of the cigarette and while he's blowing out the smoke he goes "what the fvck is a podcast?"  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I know this will be met with a lot of "oh who the hell cares" but as someone who's been listening to Spittin Chiclets since episode 1, and listening to them rag on the Devils every year deservedly so for being a doormat... it's becoming a weekly segment on their show where Biz and Whit talk about how wrong they were and how dominant our team is. RA even compared us to last year's avalanche, saying "they won without tier-1 goaltending last year, who knows how far these Devils can go". They pump the tires of everyone, but spent a long segment talking about John Marino; they're astounded at how good this guy is. 

Biz also told a story about Lindy Ruff that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Biz was outside of a bar last year in Buffalo when Lindy came up to him and asked for a cigarette. Biz thought "oh this guy recognizes me from Spittin Chiclets!". Biz gives him a cigarette, Lindy takes a match from behind his ear, and while he's lighting it with his thumbnail he asks "hey, any chance you'd want to come on the podcast this offseason?" 

Lindy took a long drag of the cigarette and while he's blowing out the smoke he goes "what the fvck is a podcast?"  

I know a lot of us lost our sh!t early (I was absolutely on that list), but in a lot of ways it was for the right reasons.  One thing that I never understood is when fans jump all up and down on a bad team that's supposed to be BAD...what do they expect?!  If you know going in that you're in the earliest stages of a rebuild and might win 30 games, absolute tops...how much should you beat up on a team like that?  

But I (and obviously others) were annoyed because we know that the talent is there...this was no longer a team bringing up young warm bodies like Nick Lappin and Brett Seney and (fvck this guy) Reid Boucher and hoping one of them might be able to become a passable NHLer.  We knew that these Devils were simply BETTER than what they were showing those first two games...we weren't sure how much better, but we knew this couldn't turn into another "Plan A didn't work, but next year..."  And I'm glad that the worst possible scenario - these guys simply not being as good as we all thought - didn't come to fruition.  There IS talent here indeed and the corner's been turned and we're seeing what this group can really do.

Yeah Lindy story that sounds about as Lindy as it gets.  If Walt Kowalsky could crawl out of his Gran Torino world and into the NHL...he'd be Lindy Ruff.    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know a lot of us lost our sh!t early (I was absolutely on that list), but in a lot of ways it was for the right reasons.  One thing that I never understood is when fans jump all up and down on a bad team that's supposed to be BAD...what do they expect?!  If you know going in that you're in the earliest stages of a rebuild and might win 30 games, absolute tops...how much should you beat up on a team like that?  

But I (and obviously others) were annoyed because we know that the talent is there...this was no longer a team bringing up young warm bodies like Nick Lappin and Brett Seney and (fvck this guy) Reid Boucher and hoping one of them might be able to become a passable NHLer.  We knew that these Devils were simply BETTER than what they were showing those first two games...we weren't sure how much better, but we knew this couldn't turn into another "Plan A didn't work, but next year..."  And I'm glad that the worst possible scenario - these guys simply not being as good as we all thought - didn't come to fruition.  There IS talent here indeed and the corner's been turned and we're seeing what this group can really do.

Yeah Lindy story that sounds about as Lindy as it gets.  If Walt Kowalsky could crawl out of his Gran Torino world and into the NHL...he'd be Lindy Ruff.    

i understand being upset in the moment. But i personally don't quite understand how so many fans let themselves get SO angry over 2 games. When to me it was so obvious that the team was a team with new guys, new coaches, new systems, etc etc and that it would take some time to get all on the same page. Context is always very important.

Plus well the team was getting their chances, the puck was just not going in. We could see that and just see the mistakes that a team learning a new system would make.

Again, 7 years of rebuild may appear long when every year your only measure of success is "did we make the playoffs or not". But in context and what we started with in 2015 (almost nothing) and looking at the depth, prospects, young core and team we have now.I dont know... to me it's very impressive. And we got very lucky and dare i say we cut corners in our rebuild by winning the lottery twice and drafting guys like Bratt. For the first like... 5-6 years. We were simply not going to get any big free agents. So rebuilding was systematically going to be a long process. Plus our low risk high rewards potential moves almost all didn't pan out in the early years. Plus we mostly built through the draft... and through 7 years of drafting... considering that most prospects take up for 3-4 years before they even make the team or have an impact... and that we only get 2-3 who could actually project to make the team every year from past drafts.... again, in context it's pretty normal it took this long.

And i'm not even going to get into injuries from last year. With decent goaltending last year. its very possible that we could have had the year we're having now last year.

So really im quite satisfied with this rebuild personally

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i understand being upset in the moment. But i personally don't quite understand how so many fans let themselves get SO angry over 2 games. When to me it was so obvious that the team was a team with new guys, new coaches, new systems, etc etc and that it would take some time to get all on the same page. Context is always very important.

Again, fans were upset because it's not just about those two games -- it's that those two games were a pretty linear continuation of what we saw all season last year. The head coach was the same, the starting goaltender (or at least the 1A) was the same, the top-6 was largely the same save the addition of a nice piece in Palat but certainly not a gamebreaker. You say context is important, but you repeatedly fail to acknowledge this context. 

26 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Plus well the team was getting their chances, the puck was just not going in. We could see that and just see the mistakes that a team learning a new system would make.

We said this same thing all last season. We ended up in second-to-last place in the Metro, which marked the 8th time in the previous 9 years we finished 2nd to last or last. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I know this will be met with a lot of "oh who the hell cares" but as someone who's been listening to Spittin Chiclets since episode 1, and listening to them rag on the Devils every year deservedly so for being a doormat... it's becoming a weekly segment on their show where Biz and Whit talk about how wrong they were and how dominant our team is. RA even compared us to last year's avalanche, saying "they won without tier-1 goaltending last year, who knows how far these Devils can go". They pump the tires of everyone, but spent a long segment talking about John Marino; they're astounded at how good this guy is. 

Biz also told a story about Lindy Ruff that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Biz was outside of a bar last year in Buffalo when Lindy came up to him and asked for a cigarette. Biz thought "oh this guy recognizes me from Spittin Chiclets!". Biz gives him a cigarette, Lindy takes a match from behind his ear, and while he's lighting it with his thumbnail he asks "hey, any chance you'd want to come on the podcast this offseason?" 

Lindy took a long drag of the cigarette and while he's blowing out the smoke he goes "what the fvck is a podcast?"  

Oh who the hell cares??

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Again, fans were upset because it's not just about those two games -- it's that those two games were a pretty linear continuation of what we saw all season last year. The head coach was the same, the starting goaltender (or at least the 1A) was the same, the top-6 was largely the same save the addition of a nice piece in Palat but certainly not a gamebreaker. You say context is important, but you repeatedly fail to acknowledge this context. 

Well thats not true at all, i even brought up that context in my post.

I remember you bringing it up last year. That even with average goaltending. We could have pushed for a playoffs spot last year, according to advance stats. So you KNOW this deep inside. Then you know Lindy's record would have been better too. We're showing now that this team can win with Lindy. 

So if fans continue to view last season as just a lost season... because we sucked... and not because of injuries. Then that's on them. This year was a new year.

Then you say we have the "same goaltender" as last year. That's ignoring that Blackwood played 1- hurt all season. We know this 100% 2- Was struggling because of covid. He said he didn't feel "good" breathing and wtv until almost April. We also know this 100%.

Our top 6 with more experience was fine. And we're seeing right now that yeah. They are fine.

 

 

So putting these 2 games with a warped perception (ignoring injuries and everything) of what the team was last season, is the reason fans were that upset. But that's kind of their own fault. Framing it "we finished last and that's all i care to know" and ignoring reasons why in reality the team shouldnt have been THAT bad. That's a decision.

This season was a new start with everyone healthy, new assistant coaches, few news guys that should help, guys having taken a step, etc etc it was really encouraging. And it would have been very fair to give them the benefit of the doubt after 2 games considering the new system, new guys, etc etc in my opinion.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.