GDT: Devils @ Canadiens 7:00 pm Velcome Vack Vitek Vanecek

Colorado Rockies 1976

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i understand being upset in the moment. But i personally don't quite understand how so many fans let themselves get SO angry over 2 games. When to me it was so obvious that the team was a team with new guys, new coaches, new systems, etc etc and that it would take some time to get all on the same page. Context is always very important.

Plus well the team was getting their chances, the puck was just not going in. We could see that and just see the mistakes that a team learning a new system would make.

Again, 7 years of rebuild may appear long when every year your only measure of success is "did we make the playoffs or not". But in context and what we started with in 2015 (almost nothing) and looking at the depth, prospects, young core and team we have now.I dont know... to me it's very impressive. And we got very lucky and dare i say we cut corners in our rebuild by winning the lottery twice and drafting guys like Bratt. For the first like... 5-6 years. We were simply not going to get any big free agents. So rebuilding was systematically going to be a long process. Plus our low risk high rewards potential moves almost all didn't pan out in the early years. Plus we mostly built through the draft... and through 7 years of drafting... considering that most prospects take up for 3-4 years before they even make the team or have an impact... and that we only get 2-3 who could actually project to make the team every year from past drafts.... again, in context it's pretty normal it took this long.

And i'm not even going to get into injuries from last year. With decent goaltending last year. its very possible that we could have had the year we're having now last year.

So really im quite satisfied with this rebuild personally

Without this becoming a big debate...sometimes fans get emotional in the moment.  That's all.  After so many ugly losses the prior several seasons, starting off 2022-23 with two more was a breaking point for many... @MB3 just reiterated this.  It happens.  You're rather unique in that you don't seem to ever have a breaking point, and are more willing to accept losing for many seasons than most fans.  Not saying that you'll just accept endless losing seasons and of course you want to see things turn around, but even more patient fans (I consider myself one of them, really) were finally starting to lose it.

In a lot of ways we've actually been on the same page in that I agree that we (really, just about all of us) knew this was not going to be a quick-fix situation.  I had no issues with the Devils not trying to make a big splash in UFA until landing Hamilton.  I've also mentioned the luck factor with the lottery wins (and the selections...we know the Devils aren't in this position if they pick Nolan over Nico).  I do think they've shown very little resistance in punting seasons...I do think there's minor tweaks they could have at least attempted last season (and I think nASS absolutely could've been canned in-season), but that's water under the bridge now...really was only so much that could've been done, given the slew of goaltending issues...and of course Jack missing extended time twice.  I think it took a year longer than expected, but we're here.  I'm enjoying the hell out of this.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I understand Jurkoff Slackovsky is back in the lineup tonight after a short suspension. 

This isn't really relevant beyond my desire to call him Jurkoff Slackovsky. 

I like this demeaning variation and hope to see you call him this often.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

fans get emotional in the moment.  That's all.  After so many ugly losses the prior several seasons, starting off 2022-23 with two more was a breaking point for many

Yeah, this times a million. I thought the "Fire Lindy" chants were totally appropriate. I think the "sorry Lindy" chants are hysterical and awesome. 

SD's problem seems to be more with the fans who use this as a place to vent. There are degrees to this of course -- people who are endlessly and needlessly negative (we all know who they are) obviously get annoying. But people who use a fan forum to voice their displeasure shouldn't be berated for doing so.

I watch the Devils by myself; none of my friends here in Florida like hockey and my wife has fallen out of love with the sport because of how the Devils have played for a decade. I sit on the couch with you idiots on my phone, and instead of slapping my dad on the arm and saying "GOD we need to fire this guy" or "WOW this guy sucks", I type it out. It's what makes this place so special to me. 

I think SD feels like there's some sort of penance that needs to be made, but he's been saying "it'll turn around!" for 4 years. If you say something like that long enough it's bound to happen. I find it impossible to be critical of the majority of this website or the majority of the 10k+ fans who saw 2 games look exactly like the 82 last year and thought aloud "here we fvcking go again". 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

And it would have been very fair to give them the benefit of the doubt after 2 games considering the new system, new guys, etc etc in my opinion.

Nobody was fair about why we sucked so hard last season, so expecting them to shake that off and be fair about THIS season might have been expecting too much. 

Edited by mfitz804

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Yeah, this times a million. I thought the "Fire Lindy" chants were totally appropriate. I think the "sorry Lindy" chants are hysterical and awesome. 

SD's problem seems to be more with the fans who use this as a place to vent. There are degrees to this of course -- people who are endlessly and needlessly negative (we all know who they are) obviously get annoying. But people who use a fan forum to voice their displeasure shouldn't be berated for doing so.

I watch the Devils by myself; none of my friends here in Florida like hockey and my wife has fallen out of love with the sport because of how the Devils have played for a decade. I sit on the couch with you idiots on my phone, and instead of slapping my dad on the arm and saying "GOD we need to fire this guy" or "WOW this guy sucks", I type it out. It's what makes this place so special to me. 

I think SD feels like there's some sort of penance that needs to be made, but he's been saying "it'll turn around!" for 4 years. If you say something like that long enough it's bound to happen. I find it impossible to be critical of the majority of this website or the majority of the 10k+ fans who saw 2 games look exactly like the 82 last year and thought aloud "here we fvcking go again". 

Same, I watch the games with my kid...and all of you guys.  One thing I don't like about watching the games on playback is that I can't respond "in real time" during GDTs.  Even though we don't all agree, what I like about this place is that we all stuck it out through the lean years...we were all here in 2011-12 and we're all STILL here now.  With the exception of a pretty fun 2017-18, we've seen a lot of bad years...even though yes, the team was building towards something, there were still many frustrating moments and wondering if this rebuild was going to eventually pan out (as we know, even with promising youth in the mix, it doesn't always work out).  Of course no guarantees yet, but what I love about THIS group is that none of this is based on "unsustainables" like high shooting% or .930+ save% goaltending.  Devils are about league average in both categories.  They could actually IMPROVE in both areas.   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Without this becoming a big debate...sometimes fans get emotional in the moment.  That's all.  After so many ugly losses the prior several seasons, starting off 2022-23 with two more was a breaking point for many... @MB3 just reiterated this.  It happens.  You're rather unique in that you don't seem to ever have a breaking point, and are more willing to accept losing for many seasons than most fans.  Not saying that you'll just accept endless losing seasons and of course you want to see things turn around, but even more patient fans (I consider myself one of them, really) were finally starting to lose it.

In a lot of ways we've actually been on the same page in that I agree that we (really, just about all of us) knew this was not going to be a quick-fix situation.  I had no issues with the Devils not trying to make a big splash in UFA until landing Hamilton.  I've also mentioned the luck factor with the lottery wins (and the selections...we know the Devils aren't in this position if they pick Nolan over Nico).  I do think they've shown very little resistance in punting seasons...I do think there's minor tweaks they could have at least attempted last season (and I think nASS absolutely could've been canned in-season), but that's water under the bridge now...really was only so much that could've been done, given the slew of goaltending issues...and of course Jack missing extended time twice.  I think it took a year longer than expected, but we're here.  I'm enjoying the hell out of this.  

26 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Well addressing these 2 things. and yeah without turning this into a debate.

I obviously understand getting upset in the moment. Obviously. And posting it on an internet forum is fine. Obviously. 

It's just that when i personally feel that something said is unfair. I'll point it out. Cause at the end of the day. If i see someone being fvcking upset that.... the sky is green.... VERY upset because the sky is green... and that i see that he's wearing green shaded sunglasses.... well.... yeah my reflex is going to be to point out that the sky is actually blue and that he shouldnt be upset lol I simply go under the impression that.... people normally don't.... enjoy... like... being upset. But clearly... some people here appear to do. (not you 2 but some that we know who they are) also this place is a lot more fun when everything is not all negative. And when the mob mentality turns negative, this place is a super depressing place. I understand wanting to vent from time to time but nobody like to visit a place when all you get is negativity. Even less when youre trying to keep things positive and you're attack for trying to be positive.

And also it's not that i'm... "accepting" losses and i don't think that I'm unique at all. I just want this team to be challenging for a cup and i understand this will take time and require the right steps, putting the right guys together. Every season i couldnt care less to juuuuust make the playoffs just so i feel good a little... if it required making moves that'd impact us negatively in the future. I guess i just... have a different mindset in general, it's more leaning toward the big picture, long term goal or silver lining or god knows. I really never lost sight of the big picture and that i accepted that it was going to take YEARS to rebuild a winning team from 2015. So... for me to get very upset at the team through that whole time....while understanding why they were not winning more.... kind of feels like getting upset at my own kid for not finishing running a lap faster than other kids.... When it's right in front of me and im seeing that.... i dont know... he's missing a leg... he's carrying a bag filled with rocks.... he's blind... he's attacked by birds the whole time or god knows... and that other kids are not facing those challenges. No other teams in the NHL had a bad roster and no prospects like we did. None.

And MB3 you say that i've been saying this for 4 years.... well... again, it's because looking at the 2015 roster. I very obviously knew that it was going to take WAY more than 4 years to rebuild a winning team from that.

Overall the way i see things differently about this stuff is the same exact.... structure/mindset that makes it that i don't see eye to eye about Lou's way or running things. Lou and the majority of you guys were full on "we need to win now, at all cost, all-in, screw the future" while i was pointing out all along and even when the team was still winning i was saying it was going to bite us in the ass big time in the future. The "at all cost" was going to dug us an enormous hole that would take years to get out of... so when we indeed landed at the bottom of that hole... well my mind was already prepared for that for long long ago. And the "we need to win now" gang was obviously not prepared for that.

And lastly... if we had a super solid team that are cup favorite like the Leafs and we just can't it done all the time. Then there's no excuses and id be fvcking upset. Critiques would be 100% fair and i'd be upset with everyone else. But its not what we have here.

Edited by SterioDesign

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Even less when youre trying to keep things positive and you're attack for trying to be positive.

I think this is where the confusion happens. Nobody has ever attacked you for trying to be positive. But there's been a well-known schtick of yours during the leanest of lean years where you attacked others for being negative. 

People don't like to be told how to feel. People certainly don't like to be told that what they're feeling is wrong. You might feel like the circumstances that made them angry were misguided, but how it always came out in your posts was "You are dumb for being mad." 

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I think this is where the confusion happens. Nobody has ever attacked you for trying to be positive. But there's been a well-known schtick of yours during the leanest of lean years where you attacked others for being negative. 

People don't like to be told how to feel. People certainly don't like to be told that what they're feeling is wrong. You might feel like the circumstances that made them angry were misguided, but how it always came out in your posts was "You are dumb for being mad." 

both happened. And it was not just me. Many posters left this place because of that too.

Just recently our local Karen was calling out our fans at the game for cheering for the team cause he felt they should "wait" because getting to happy and cheer cause the team could start losing again. 

And well that schtick is your perception. I repeat, you perception... i told you this a million time by now every single time you brought up the "SD is telling me how to feel". I kept telling that that it's not what i was doing. It never got through to you and likely never will by now. If you still feel this way after i explained myself a million times. It's not my fault.

And sorry not sorry but if someone is continuously upset because our goalie sucks and keep bringing up that he sucked... while completely ignoring that the goalie was playing hurt and dealing with health problems... well thats straight up dumb yes

Edited by SterioDesign

L G M F D!

(Because the Devils are going for their 10th straight win and I am not getting sucked into the semantics/analogies/Lou vortex tonight).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Again, fans were upset because it's not just about those two games -- it's that those two games were a pretty linear continuation of what we saw all season last year. The head coach was the same, the starting goaltender (or at least the 1A) was the same, the top-6 was largely the same save the addition of a nice piece in Palat but certainly not a gamebreaker. You say context is important, but you repeatedly fail to acknowledge this context. 

We said this same thing all last season. We ended up in second-to-last place in the Metro, which marked the 8th time in the previous 9 years we finished 2nd to last or last. 

I totally think the bolded was the case. If the Devils had won the first couple of games and then lost two. Probably not a lot of complaints from fans. But it felt like it was games 83 and 84 of last season - and we'd all had enough of watching that sh!t.

I thought Jack looked damn good last game and I hope it continues tonight.

LGD!

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

L G M F D!

(Because the Devils are going for their 10th straight win and I am not getting sucked into the semantics/analogies/Lou vortex tonight).  

Me either, it’s like when Lou tried to fvck your girlfriend…

…wait just a minute, I almost fell for it!!

2 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I totally think the bolded was the case. If the Devils had won the first couple of games and then lost two. Probably not a lot of complaints from fans. But it felt like it was games 83 and 84 of last season - and we'd all had enough of watching that sh!t.

And on top of that, excitement was high that said sh!t was behind us, and then for two games, it felt like it was not. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I thought Jack looked damn good last game and I hope it continues tonight.

LGD!

Well that's what everyone agrees with yeah, it was 100% the case.

My point is that those 2 games shouldn't have been seen as a continuation of the previous season. For various very fair reasons that i brought up already many times. 

People who didn't see them as a continuation weren't upset after 2 games and those who did were calling for the coach to get fired lol. That says it all.

With the benefit of hindsight. Who took the right approach in order to potentially be happy? (that's badly phrased... i dont mean that there's a good or wrong way... but who benefited personally from being patient?

Edited by SterioDesign

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

This is the best way I’ve seen this put. My friends and family are Ranger fans if they follow hockey. This is the only place I can come to talk Devils hockey. I can come on here and say Severson sucks or I don’t like this decision by Lindy because that’s what it’s here for. My wife doesn’t give a flying crap about the 3rd line wing on the Devils or Brendan Smith passing into his own slot.

And honestly after watching this team each sh!t for a decade, I think it’s ok for us to enjoy the winning without it getting thrown in our faces that we weren’t cheering for Kenny Agostino during a 6-2 loss while we’re 30 points out of a playoff spot in January. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

This is the best way I’ve seen this put. My friends and family are Ranger fans if they follow hockey. This is the only place I can come to talk Devils hockey. I can come on here and say Severson sucks or I don’t like this decision by Lindy because that’s what it’s here for. My wife doesn’t give a flying crap about the 3rd line wing on the Devils or Brendan Smith passing into his own slot.

And honestly after watching this team each sh!t for a decade, I think it’s ok for us to enjoy the winning without it getting thrown in our faces that we weren’t cheering for Kenny Agostino during a 6-2 loss while we’re 30 points out of a playoff spot in January. 

image.gif.f47f5126d3aa6e31b9a20a54f11b14ab.gif

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's what everyone agrees with yeah, it was 100% the case.

My point is that those 2 games shouldn't have been seen as a continuation of the previous season. For various very fair reasons that i brought up already many times. 

People who didn't see them as a continuation weren't upset after 2 games and those who did were calling for the coach to get fired lol. That says it all.

With the benefit of hindsight. Who took the right approach in order to potentially be happy? (that's badly phrased... i dont mean that there's a good or wrong way... but who benefited personally from being patient?

Yeah, I understand that and don't disagree with you. Sports fans react in an unfiltered way to events during games. That's just human nature. The analysis and rational thinking come later.

16 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Yeah, I understand that and don't disagree with you. Sports fans react in an unfiltered way to events during games. That's just human nature. The analysis and rational thinking come later.

Well like i said... i get the "im frustrated and i'll say wtv makes me feel good in the moment no matter how rational it is or not". Totally get that.

But this is a message board where people discuss their opinions... once you put it out there... you simply have to accept that people may challenge what you're saying and it's totally fair game to give your opinion on someone else's opinion. It's literally what it's made for. Also saying that you disagree with someones stance / comment... doesnt mean that you're telling them NOT to feel that way. It just means that you personally disagree and then a conversation ensue. But clearly... some people see it differently and simply can't have what they say challenged

If you want to say crazy irrational things and NOT get challenged. The internet may not the the place for that lol

Edited by SterioDesign

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

But this is a message board where people discuss their opinions... once you put it out there... you simply have to accept that people may challenge what you're saying and it's totally fair game to give your opinion on someone else's opinion.

Awful take, nobody should ever do this. Sh!t, I just did it lol. 

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Also saying that you disagree with someones stance / comment... doesnt mean that you're telling them NOT to feel that way. It just means that you personally disagree and then a conversation ensue. But clearly... some people see it differently and simply can't have what they say challenged

What if instead of just disagreeing, you tell the opinion giver that they are stupid and make fun of their character and your perceived notion of who they are and how they spend their free time and the snack foods you think they enjoy. Is that still cool? 

• Haha 1