GDT: Devils @ Canadiens 7:00 pm Velcome Vack Vitek Vanecek

Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I definitely don’t see Foote being a part of this team for the foreseeable future. I hope Holtz still has a chance. I don’t think he got a long enough look this year, but also I think it’s hard to make an argument as to who he should go in for. He may have to wait for the inevitable injury. 

Boqvist is all I can think of at the moment, since the 4th line is working well together and the top 6 guys are pretty much set 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I definitely don’t see Foote being a part of this team for the foreseeable future. I hope Holtz still has a chance. I don’t think he got a long enough look this year, but also I think it’s hard to make an argument as to who he should go in for. He may have to wait for the inevitable injury. 

Sometimes you just gotta defer to the coaching staff.  What’s going on with Holtz clearly isn’t ideal, but whatever the staff saw, it was enough for them to say “This kid simply cannot be out there right now…he needs a LOT of work.”  And based on everything I’ve seen of him in his limited NHL samples, I agree with them.  Preseason and scrimmages are a different beast, so I can’t go too crazy about anything he might have done in those games.  There’s players in ALL sports who look terrific in preseason, then suddenly look much less than when the games start to count.

Of course, as we know, the kid absolutely does have time on his side.  But if there’s only so much that can be done with his skating and speed, Holtz may have a very difficult time working out here.  I would love to hear what Brylin honestly thinks, about any progress Holtz is or isn’t making so far.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Im kind of at the point where if Holtz doesn’t work out, I just assume Fitz will package him with a 3rd for someone else’s under the radar player who’s ready to break out.  

im not even entirely kidding.   

I mean, it could happen...

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Im kind of at the point where if Holtz doesn’t work out, I just assume Fitz will package him with a 3rd for someone else’s under the radar player who’s ready to break out.  

I can see Holtz, Casey, and a first-rounder for something big...maybe not this season, but possibly next, if the Devils seem primed for a big run, but need that one last piece.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I can see Holtz, Casey, and a first-rounder for something big...maybe not this season, but possibly next, if the Devils seem primed for a big run, but need that one last piece.  

why don't the Devils simply trade their 3rd rounder and their 'totally not an NHL player' defenseman for two of the best shut down defenders in the NHL? Seems simple, really. 

Edited by MB3

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

why don't the Devils simply trade their 3rd rounder and their 'totally not an NHL player' defenseman for two of the best shut down defenders in the NHL? Seems simple, really. 

Well technically, it was (2) 3rd-rounders and one 'totally not an NHL player' defenseman, heh heh.  But yeah talk about some serious fleecing...with both locked up at VERY reasonable term for least 5 years each.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Yup.  Send him to Utica so he can score a bunch of goals and build up his trade value.  He has little value sitting in the stands in NJ.

2 minutes ago, Have Another Donut said:

Yup.  Send him to Utica so he can score a bunch of goals and build up his trade value.  He has little value sitting in the stands in NJ.

Kind of hard to believe that hasn't happened yet. They must really feel like the coaching staff working with him is going well. 

10 minutes ago, nessus said:

Has anyone else been very impressed with Zetterlund? I initially thought he would limit Nico on the top line, but he has played very well. Pretty amazing development curve for him. It wasn't long ago that he was a bottom 6 AHL player.

Agree, I didn’t think he would have a shot to be a part of this.  He’s basically approximated what we were hoping to see out of Holtz.

42 minutes ago, devlman said:

As soon as we lose he’s going in. That’s why he’s still here. Same with Bahl. Two kids that are big part of this thing going forward. 

More and more I can see Holtz being a trade chip, along with any of the D-prospects not named Luke or Simon, in some package for some in-his-prime above-average producer who can slot right in and immediately pay dividends.  And to be clear that’s not a “Get him out of here!” kind of thing…it’s more of testament to the fact that are now legit prospects in the pipeline who do have some actual worth.  And of course not all of them are going to make their mark as Devils.

Of course the flip side is such a return is going to cost some coin…whatever “right now” guy they’d get would either already be making good money or will soon be in a position to.  All depends upon how much cap flexibility the Devils want to leave themselves down the line.  

• Like 1