GDT: Devils @ Maple Leafs, 7:00 pm Let’s Goooooooooooo

Colorado Rockies 1976

"I thought the difference is that we beat ourselves at times and gave them three goals and they didn't beat themselves at all," Toronto coach Sheldon Keefe said. "That's how you win 11 in a row, you don't beat yourself.

"I am concerned about it. We've shown here lately that we can win games and beat really good teams. This is the best team in the NHL right now and despite the fact for me we didn't play a great hockey game, we got a point and we're right there. But we've got to stop beating ourselves."

Holy sh!t just reading things like this about our New Jersey fvcking Devils is mind blowing. 

• Like 2

it’s easy to use the “they didn’t beat us, we beat ourselves” when advanced stats and the eye test agree that the devils DOMINATED the hockey game in terms of possession and scoring chances, and the maple queefs still had 6 power plays to our 1.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, devlman said:

"I thought the difference is that we beat ourselves at times and gave them three goals and they didn't beat themselves at all," Toronto coach Sheldon Keefe said. "That's how you win 11 in a row, you don't beat yourself.

"I am concerned about it. We've shown here lately that we can win games and beat really good teams. This is the best team in the NHL right now and despite the fact for me we didn't play a great hockey game, we got a point and we're right there. But we've got to stop beating ourselves."

Holy sh!t just reading things like this about our New Jersey fvcking Devils is mind blowing. 

He is right that the Devils are the best team in hockey right now is absolutely correct.  To say they didn’t get beat is disingenuous.  Their fans deserve better than that, especially, with the amount of talent and lack of success since they had Tavares and Matthews down the middle.

oh, and if the puck didn’t deflect off of Sieges stick, there is no game tying goal. I’m not blaming the defender, sometimes sh!t happens that way.

Edited by Puckbuster

6 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

He is right that the Devils are the best team in hockey right now is absolutely correct.  To say they didn’t get beat is disingenuous.  Their fans deserve better than that, especially, with the amount of talent and lack of success since they had Tavares and Matthews down the middle.

oh, and if the puck didn’t deflect off of Sieges stick, there is no game tying goal. I’m not blaming the defender, sometimes sh!t happens that way.

Yeah one thing about Vanecek in the early going….not only has he made a lot of terrific saves, but I can’t think of too many goals that he’s given up that had me screaming “How the hell did he not get THAT ONE?!”  Since that rough first game, he’s been as good as we ever could’ve possibly hoped.

7 hours ago, MB3 said:

it’s easy to use the “they didn’t beat us, we beat ourselves” when advanced stats and the eye test agree that the devils DOMINATED the hockey game in terms of possession and scoring chances, and the maple queefs still had 6 power plays to our 1.

It was actually 5-2, with a couple of those very short for each team (Devils took a penalty which killed a power play in progress, and then the Leafs got a short one after the resulting 4-on-4 was up, which was then made even more ineffectual because it took place over two periods).  The refs just seemed to make calls completely at random last night…they missed some on both sides.  I honestly wasn’t thinking “Oh man the refs are really screwing the Devils tonight”, but there’s plenty of games where it sure felt like they were.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

7 hours ago, devlman said:

It’s so nice seeing a “we beat ourselves” quote that isn’t about the Devils

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It’s so nice seeing a “we beat ourselves” quote that isn’t about the Devils

Kinda funny, in that I guess Keefe didn't want to give the Devils any credit for the three goals the Leafs gave up?  "Gave them three goals?"  Nico scored a classic goal-scorer's goal (pick your spot and nail it), and Jack made a hell of a play to take the puck away in overtime that led to Rango's goal.  Yes, there was ebb-and-flow and the Leafs definitely had their chances, but I didn't really come away from that game thinking "Geez, the Leafs really gave that one away!"  If anything, I'd say they got pretty lucky on their game-tying goal, with that flutter deflection that resulted from Siegs absolutely doing the right thing.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

Well in OT they got the puck and instantly passed it to the worst possible player on the opposite team to give it to in their zone. 

So from that angle it's fair to say that they did beat themselves. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well in OT they got the puck and instantly passed it to the worst possible player on the opposite team to give it to in their zone. 

So from that angle it's fair to say that they did beat themselves. 

Not exactly like the bolded...what happened was more like what you sometimes see in football, when a cornerback does an excellent job jumping a route because he's great at reading a developing play.  Jack just exploded and grabbed the puck.  If ya wanna say that Tavares should've had a little better sense (re:  Jack being where he was) or should've gotten more zip on that pass, no arguments here.  But I still see it as more Jack doing a Jack thing than the Leafs just completely fvcking up.  

Tavares could've shown a little more urgency going back too, unless he was gassed at that point.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not exactly like the bolded...what happened was more like what you sometimes see in football, when a cornerback does an excellent job jumping a route because he's great at reading a developing play.  Jack just exploded and grabbed the puck.  If ya wanna say that Tavares should've had a little better sense (re:  Jack being where he was) or should've gotten more zip on that pass, no arguments here.  But I still see it as more Jack doing a Jack thing than the Leafs just completely fvcking up.  

Tavares could've shown a little more urgency going back too, unless he was gassed at that point.

Jack basically looked like Ed Reed jumping a route on that play.    

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Shows how important puck possession is in overtime, especially with a short change. Nico won a clean faceoff against Tavares who is one of the best, which kept the Tavares/Marner line out there with gassed legs while a fresh Jack Hughes who's already disgustingly fast looks even faster by comparison next to Tavares who was caught out there on a long shift. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Shows how important puck possession is in overtime, especially with a short change. Nico won a clean faceoff against Tavares who is one of the best, which kept the Tavares/Marner line out there with gassed legs while a fresh Jack Hughes who's already disgustingly fast looks even faster by comparison next to Tavares who was caught out there on a long shift. 

Yeah teams have really figured out how to play 3-on-3, almost to a team...winning that faceoff and then hanging onto the puck as long as humanly possible is so crucial...even if you have to clear the zone and re-enter (or have one player keep as two others leave the ice for fresh legs).  Even if you do turn it over, depending on where you are, the opposition might not be in much of a position to counter unless they can get a legit change.    

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah teams have really figured out how to play 3-on-3, almost to a team...winning that faceoff and then hanging onto the puck as long as humanly possible is so crucial...even if you have to clear the zone and re-enter (or have one player keep as two others leave the ice for fresh legs).  Even if you do turn it over, depending on where you are, the opposition might not be in much of a position to counter unless they can get a legit change.    

I still hate the concept of deciding a hockey game by playing something other than actual hockey. But I hate it a little less when we're winning the 3 on 3. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

i mean... i love Jack as much as anyone here. And he made an amazing play once he got the puck. But saying all this happened because he read the play incredibly might be pumping his tires a bit too much lol 

Tavares had full control over the puck and he literally made the pass towards Jack, in the middle of 3 players. 2 being Devils players. Even if his pass was crisp directly on his own players stick. It was a bad pass cause that player had Jack already right on him, potentially creating an easy turnover at the blue line. Jack didn't even change his trajectory or anything. He was literally just naturally going towards the puck carrier and was given the puck haha

Love (even adore) Jack but thats 100% a fvck up by Tavares and a bad read.

image.thumb.png.9c60fd73a32accbb35ac51a4c783eabd.png

Edited by SterioDesign