GDT: Devils @ Maple Leafs, 7:00 pm Let’s Goooooooooooo

Colorado Rockies 1976

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I still hate the concept of deciding a hockey game by playing something other than actual hockey. But I hate it a little less when we're winning the 3 on 3. 

Wasn't that long ago that the Devils couldn't have looked more feeble in OT 3-on-3.

That being said, I would love 10 minutes of 5-on-5 or 4-on-4 OT.  But that's never happening.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I love 3-on-3. At least it requires actual teamwork. I wish they’d make it longer rather than going to the shootout. 

Don't get me wrong, its fun to watch. But it's not the actual game. 

5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’d like a 10 minute 3-on-3. I think there’d be very few shootouts 

I agree, that would be a better idea than the shootout. Flipping a coin might be better than the shootout. 

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i mean... i love Jack as much as anyone here. And he made an amazing play once he got the puck. But saying all this happened because he read the play incredibly might be pumping his tires a bit too much lol 

Tavares had full control over the puck and he literally made the pass towards Jack, in the middle of 3 players. 2 being Devils players. Even if his pass was crisp directly on his own players stick. It was a bad pass cause that player had Jack already right on him, potentially creating an easy turnover at the blue line. Jack didn't even change his trajectory or anything. He was literally just naturally going towards the puck carrier and was given the puck haha

Love (even adore) Jack but thats 100% a fvck up by Tavares and a bad read.

image.thumb.png.9c60fd73a32accbb35ac51a4c783eabd.png

Yeah, Jack's "intercepting" of the pass was not the impressive part, it was going through that other dude and directly to the goal that was the great play. Tavares basically handed it to him with a bow on it. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, Jack's "intercepting" of the pass was not the impressive part, it was going through that other dude and directly to the goal that was the great play. Tavares basically handed it to him with a bow on it. 

I thought where Tavares screwed up most was not just skating it out of the zone...Dougie was giving him that (he wasn't going to pinch to try to keep it in, and wisely so).  Tavares could've just also just chipped it past Dougie.  

re:  the pass, it wasn't necessarily a great idea, but with more oomph on it, at least it reaches its target, even if said target isn't necessarily in a great position to do a lot with it.  It was just slow enough that Jack was able to pounce at full steam uncontested, and then do what he did.  But I still think it was a very nice read by Jack...like I said, a cornerback or safety jumping a route.

If we're going to over analyze this play, Jack was taking a huge risk by skating towards Tavares and essentially giving up on Marner there.  But I think he is maybe one of the few guys in the NHL that can make that turn.  A more conservative player would concede that pass and play the 2 on 2 going the other way.  If Jack doesn't get this pass, or if Tavares sauces it a bit into space in front of Marner, that could have been the game.

image.thumb.png.9d6476a78b9095d14138b9436d78c569.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vadvlfan said:

Why not give Hughes credit for reading the play & executing instead of finding fault w/ everything.  Tavares went back to the bench knowing his giveaway lost the game.  

Yeah that's really all I was going for initially.  And of course this sh!t all happens in real (fast) time.  

3 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Why not give Hughes credit for reading the play & executing instead of finding fault w/ everything.  Tavares went back to the bench knowing his giveaway lost the game.  

I don’t think saying that Tavares passed the puck directly to Hughes is finding fault with everything. Jack didn’t steal the puck, he does that a lot, but this time he was the beneficiary of an awful play by Tavares. 

We don’t have to build Jack a fvcking statue for every touch of the puck either. Like I said, GM getting the puck was the easy part. What he did with it, that was spectacular. 

Edited by mfitz804

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t think saying that Tavares passed the puck directly to Hughes is finding fault with everything. Jack didn’t steal the puck, he does that a lot, but this time he was the beneficiary of an awful play by Tavares. 

We don’t have to build Jack a fvcking statue for every touch of the puck either. Like I said, GM getting the puck was the easy part. What he did with it, that was spectacular. 

To be clear, I was definitely NOT doing that.  I love what Jack brings but as he's only 21 and still not a finished product, he has his share of "Huh what was THAT Jack?!" moments too.  I'm sure he'll have less of them as he matures, but high-risk will always make up some part of his game.  And I can definitely live with that.  

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be clear, I was definitely NOT doing that.  I love what Jack brings but as he's only 21 and still not a finished product, he has his share of "Huh what was THAT Jack?!" moments too.  I'm sure he'll have less of them as he matures, but high-risk will always make up some part of his game.  And I can definitely live with that.  

Definitely not, that was a response to the comment about giving him credit, not yours. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’d like a 10 minute 3-on-3. I think there’d be very few shootouts 

I think that's the perfect sweet spot cause 10 mins of 3v3 ot with no commerical breaks will go by pretty fast. Ties are never coming back so I'm fine with a shootout happening after half a period.

Continious ot is just not feasible and I really don't wanna sit there all night on a random Tuesday in January when somehow a game goes to 3 ots anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

If we're going to over analyze this play, Jack was taking a huge risk by skating towards Tavares and essentially giving up on Marner there.  But I think he is maybe one of the few guys in the NHL that can make that turn.  A more conservative player would concede that pass and play the 2 on 2 going the other way.  If Jack doesn't get this pass, or if Tavares sauces it a bit into space in front of Marner, that could have been the game.

image.thumb.png.9d6476a78b9095d14138b9436d78c569.png

Absolutely this. It’s actually a good idea by Tavares because if it succeeds it’s a 2-on-1 for the Leafs as Hughes’ momentum is going away from Marner. Hughes actually takes a gamble to intercept the pass. Great play by him, more so than a bad play by Tavares.

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i mean... i love Jack as much as anyone here. And he made an amazing play once he got the puck. But saying all this happened because he read the play incredibly might be pumping his tires a bit too much lol 

Tavares had full control over the puck and he literally made the pass towards Jack, in the middle of 3 players. 2 being Devils players. Even if his pass was crisp directly on his own players stick. It was a bad pass cause that player had Jack already right on him, potentially creating an easy turnover at the blue line. Jack didn't even change his trajectory or anything. He was literally just naturally going towards the puck carrier and was given the puck haha

Love (even adore) Jack but thats 100% a fvck up by Tavares and a bad read.

image.thumb.png.9c60fd73a32accbb35ac51a4c783eabd.png

there aren't many players in the league who can jump that puck from where your 1st screenshot is. There are even fewer with the foresight and confidence to attempt that. If he whiffs on that jump it's a 2-on-1 the other way. 

A bad play from Tavares and a spectacular play from Hughes. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MB3 said:

there aren't many players in the league who can jump that puck from where your 1st screenshot is. There are even fewer with the foresight and confidence to attempt that. If he whiffs on that jump it's a 2-on-1 the other way. 

A bad play from Tavares and a spectacular play from Hughes. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. 

Yeah, but look at the second screenshot and you see where the puck was heading. Hint: its directly at Jack.