GDT: Oilers @ Devils, 7:00 pm You Can Do IIIIIIIIIIIIT!

Colorado Rockies 1976

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Playing many times today in hopes it pleases the Purple Bar...

image.png.921dbd42b2013421ea43229a41ed6c75.png

You can leave all gifts here:

Purple Shroud: 5 (Yorkshire Dales Mysteries) by Parry, Susan Book The Fast  Free 9780956789105 | eBay

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

but but but his advanced stats show he's like the best defenseman in the nhl. ignore the eye test, your eyes lie to you. when you see him flailing his stick 25 feet out of position and skating like a beer leaguer who's sucked a few pops down before the game, your eyes are deceiving you -- he's actually prime Scott Niedermayer. 

lol i havent been paying 100% attention to everything in the last few weeks but i indeed saw online some graphic suggesting that he was one of the best dman in the league based on advance stats. And i legit went like "what?" lol 

• Shocking 1

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Not that it's easy but if we can shut down McDavid and Draisitl tnight. We can do this. Let's go for 13th boys and tie our own NHL record

Amazing that a team with those two (and some other good players) is only 10-8.  

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Amazing that a team with those two (and some other good players) is only 10-8.  

They're a McDavid injury away from being a lottery team, I'm convinced. 

The best player of our generation and a top-3 goalscorer. Still isn't enough. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Just don’t let the Devils management hear about it or we’ll have to get $18.00 bud lights at the Purple Bar behind section 125 and they’ll start selling light up purple headbands and ALRIGHT DEVILS FANS GET UP AND WAVE THOSE PURPLE TOWELS

It would be nice to see the franchise up its “cool” factor some, as they continue to leave their on-ice doldrums behind.  I know I’ve said it many times, but only brainstorming corporate dweebuses could come up with something as lame as the Diablos.  It was a relief when that whole thing went away.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It you think about it, it makes total sense. Because advanced stats are as useful as a Tupperware full of goat diarrhea. 

I totally get someone not being big on them, I do, but it’s hard for me to ever understand this extreme of a stance. Why does pretty much every team in the sport devote at least some resources to analytics if they’re truly that useless? I’ve never seen anyone come up with a serious answer for that beyond “cAuSe nERds!”

I certainly don’t think Smith has been very good, let alone one of the better dmen in the entire league, but I also don’t think disagreeing with what the stats say on certain players, at certain times, completely invalidates what they say on everyone, all the time. They’re a tool like anything else, and have to be used accordingly. 

Edited by Nicomo

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I totally get someone not being big on them, I do, but it’s hard for me to ever understand this extreme of a stance. Why does pretty much every team in the sport devote at least some resources to analytics if they’re truly that useless? I’ve never seen anyone come up with a serious answer for that beyond “cAuSe nERds!”

I certainly don’t think Smith has been very good, let alone one of the better dmen in the entire league, but I also don’t think disagreeing with what the stats say on certain players, at certain times, completely invalidates what they say on everyone, all the time. They’re a tool like anything else, and have to be used accordingly. 

Like I’ve said before, if stats can be ood when you are bad, or bad when you are good, they are useless. Any stats that say Brendan Smith is a good hockey player cannot be relied upon whatsoever for anything. 

As far as why a lot of teams use them, I’ll only point out that like our moms told us, just because everyone is doing something, it doesn’t mean it’s right. There’s probably a hundred stupid things that people used to believe in that are no longer believed.

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If nothing else, in an sports era where so many things feel “forced” (the Diablos, the need to squeeze so many Easter eggs into jersey designs, etc), it’s a lot of fun that something that started so accidentally simple (me not being able to delete some purple bar remnant from a GDT post) turned into an actual THING.  Love when sh!t like this just happens organically.  

CR76....I'm going to be honest with you. I had no idea what the origin story was and I believe anyway. 

Jesper Bratt is so fvcking good.