GDT - Devils @ Sabres 11/25/22 8:00pm MSGSN

NJDfan1711

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Even Smith is playing much better lately. This team is starting to look - dare I say - well coached. 

Whoa slow your roll there buddy. I’m feeling the good kumbaya we now love Tomas Tatar vibes as much as the next guy but Smith continues to look like steaming sh!t. That hasn’t changed since day 1.

Edited by devlman

it's unfortunate that we have Jack and Nico... who were both first overall picks... with a pedigree that could certainly command top money. Who signed their long term deal at a time that was not at their top advantage but did it for the best of the team.

Then we have this 6th round pick... who... apparently wants every single penny he can get through all the dirty negotiation tactics.

If Bratt could by in into that mentality man it would be amazing for the future of this team

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Especially not willing to do that when we are poised to save a few million when Severson is gone and replaced by an entry level contract. 

And with the cap predicted to go up the next few seasons. We may find our 3 best forwards locked up long term, plus Marino, Seigs, and Hamilton locked down. Vanecek on a good contract for 2 more years as well. We are in a very good position to retain Bratt. 

4 minutes ago, devlman said:

Regarding your second point, I don’t see how it’s necessary Severson finishes the season. His reputation still surpasses his actual level to the point where we can do well to trade him and fill his 14 mins with a run of the mill rental. Him and Blackwood can fetch a decent haul.

You know I’m no fan of Seves but who are you replacing him with in-season if you trade him this year?  That’s where I get stuck.

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

He has looked better, but tonight’s goal, again, he was out of position and they got a 2 on 1 against Severson. 

You can usually point out one or two plays a night for even the best players in the league. He also made several very good plays tonight, and he actually has a little bit of snarl to his game. 

Overall he’s settling in nicely. Enough so that I totally get the coaches decision to play him over Bahl. And I was one of his biggest critics early on. 

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

And with the cap predicted to go up the next few seasons. We may find our 3 best forwards locked up long term, plus Marino, Seigs, and Hamilton locked down. Vanecek on a good contract for 2 more years as well. We are in a very good position to retain Bratt. 

It’s almost like, you know, they did it on purpose. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You can usually point out one or two plays a night for even the best players in the league. He also made several very good plays tonight, and he actually has a little bit of snarl to his game. 

Overall he’s settling in nicely. Enough so that I totally get the coaches decision to play him over Bahl. And I was one of his biggest critics early on. 

Yeah, but with Smith, it’s every night. You look and see who was responsible for missing the assignment, and Smith is inevitably the answer. Did the same last game as well. And multiple other times throughout the season. 

He is not good. But he has been better. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You know I’m no fan of Seves but who are you replacing him with in-season if you trade him this year?  That’s where I get stuck.

The only way it works is if you take back a lesser RHD in the trade just to finish out the year. Nemec wouldn’t be ready yet and I wouldn’t want to rush him. 

Any half decent 3rd pair dman you can send a low pick for at the trade deadline. Only needs to play 15 min a night. 

I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping him for the entire season if not for the return we can get from him.

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Whoa slow your roll there buddy. I’m feeling the good kumbaya we now love Tomas Tatar vibes as much as the next guy but Smith continues to look like steaming sh!t. That hasn’t changed since day 1.

He’s improved immensely since the first couple weeks. Still not perfect, but that’s why he’s on the 3rd pairing. We could do a lot worse. 

But I get it, some of you always need a whipping boy. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I doubt he goes anywhere now. He’s an offensive minded D-man who puts up points, they will want him in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The only way it works is if you take back a lesser RHD in the trade just to finish out the year. Nemec wouldn’t be ready yet and I wouldn’t want to rush him. 

That would be a disservice to Nemec and I have my doubts as to whether he can just pop in and fill that role, especially in the playoffs, at his age and stage of development. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

He’s improved immensely since the first couple weeks. Still not perfect, but that’s why he’s on the 3rd pairing. We could do a lot worse. 

But I get it, some of you always need a whipping boy. 

No I promise you this isn’t a whipping boy situation or bias or anything. He’s legit awful. Advanced stats back it up. Any time we are getting caved in, he’s usually on the ice. Has he improved? Slightly? But I’m not sure how we could do a lot worse.

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

it's unfortunate that we have Jack and Nico... who were both first overall picks... with a pedigree that could certainly command top money. Who signed their long term deal at a time that was not at their top advantage but did it for the best of the team.

Then we have this 6th round pick... who... apparently wants every single penny he can get through all the dirty negotiation tactics.

If Bratt could by in into that mentality man it would be amazing for the future of this team

The main difference is that neither Nico nor Jack had put up big years yet, when they got their extensions…they were being paid more on “Very likely to blossom in time” potential (and I absolutely would’ve taken the same risk).

Jesper had a breakout year last season and should top that significantly…he’ll be looking to be paid off actual performance.  If he signs for $9 - 9.5 million AAV, I’ll take it.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, devlman said:

No I promise you this isn’t a whipping boy situation or bias or anything. He’s legit awful. Advanced stats back it up. Any time we are getting caved in, he’s usually on the ice. Has he improved? Slightly? But I’m not sure how we could do a lot worse.

No they don’t. 

• Like 2

Just now, devlman said:

I was half watching when they scored tonight, I saw a 2 on 1 and said “where’s the other defenseman?”. And then I saw the replay and that it was him yet again. 

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Advanced stats back it up.

Just now, Nicomo said:

No they don’t. 

It’s probably both. 

The main difference is that neither Nico nor Jack had put up big years yet, when they got their extensions…they were being paid more on “Very likely to blossom in time” potential (and I absolutely would’ve taken the same risk).

Jesper had a breakout year last season and should top that significantly…he’ll be looking to paid off actual performance.  If he signs for $9 - 9.5 million AAV, I’ll take it.  

if he wins the Conn Smyth... i'll give him 9.5millions.

Jesper had a breakout year last season and should top that significantly…he’ll be looking to paid off actual performance.  If he signs for $9 - 9.5 million AAV, I’ll take it.  

Bingo. Neither Nico or Jack had ever put up more than 50 something points when they got their deals.

Bratt has proven himself to be one of the elite wingers in the league. That’s going to cost you. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I doubt he goes anywhere now. He’s an offensive minded D-man who puts up points, they will want him in the playoffs. 

He’s not really the consistent point horse that people make him out to be, but he does offer some insurance (though flawed) if Hamilton ever goes down with injury.  

1 minute ago, pumpkin cutter said:

rather pay graves and severson

Severson?!