GDT - Devils @ Sabres 11/25/22 8:00pm MSGSN

NJDfan1711

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Bingo. Neither Nico or Jack had ever put up more than 50 something points when they got their deals.

Bratt has proven himself to be one of the elite wingers in the league. That’s going to cost you. 

Jack’s contract might be the weirdest deal ever in that he never played a full season and his entire entry level deal ran out with him having played the equivalent of only 2 seasons as opposed to 3. 

I believe that had he played 3 full seasons, his development would have been such that we may not have been able to lock him up as cheaply as we ultimately did. And $8m isn’t even cheap, but for him, it is. 

5 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

rather pay graves and severson

That’s ridiculous. 

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

The Athletic’s advanced metrics equate him to negative value.

And someone posted stuff in here the other day that suggested he was the best defenseman in the league based on some other advanced stats. This is the sh!t I’m always talking about. 

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The main difference is that neither Nico nor Jack had put up big years yet, when they got their extensions…they were being paid more on “Very likely to blossom in time” potential (and I absolutely would’ve taken the same risk).

Jesper had a breakout year last season and should top that significantly…he’ll be looking to be paid off actual performance.  If he signs for $9 - 9.5 million AAV, I’ll take it.  

my point was the both Nico and Jack didn't "play the game" of signing shorter contracts in order to maximize their long-term contracts. Which would have been to their advantage if what they wanted was to possibly get top top money. Then they wouldnt have signed 8 years this early when they knew they didn't play up to their potential yet.

Just now, SterioDesign said:

my point was the both Nico and Jack didn't "play the game" of signing shorter contracts in order to maximize their long-term contracts. Which would have been to their advantage if what they wanted was to possibly get top top money. Then they wouldnt have signed 8 years this early when they knew they didn't play up to their potential yet.

Honestly, especially with Jack, that would probably have been extremely beneficial to them. Imagine how much Jack would get paid if he signed for 2x6m and after next year he was up for his extension. He would probably be looking for at least $9.5m, and would have the benefit of seeing what happened with Bratt (not that he would have known that would be the case at the time). 

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Severson and Graves have been a huge part of the streak. But not the leading scorer. I’m starting to think this is disingenuous.  

It’s almost like me, @SterioDesign and @MB3 were too tired and someone else decided to say things just to fvck with people’s minds. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

According to this Bratt should make more than Jack and Nico. :P

There you have it, all salaries to be paid in accordance with the chart. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

Graves yes, Severson not so much. 

Outside of Palat and Holtz (who of course have barely played compared to everyone else), guess which two Devils are minus guys.  And guess who has the worst +/- on the team.  Because of course he does, heh heh.  But at least he’s a third-pair guy now.

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

image.thumb.png.563656ea17872e18e3fa986879a370d6.png

I will say though that they have Marino as barely a 1 on the ‘points above replacement’ score they use, so take this with a grain of salt.

Good lord any chart that gives Minus Man a higher rating than Marino is instantly worthless.

• Like 1

Bratt likely could have been at a $6 mil cap hit prior to the year. He would have been even cheaper if they signed him when they gave Nico his deal. Fitz was so stuck on the 6th round thing that he didn't pay him a fair value. Now, he's going to cost you.  Fitz fvcked up with Bratt. This conversation shouldn't even be being had right now.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Good lord any chart that gives Minus Man a higher rating than Marino is instantly worthless.

FWIW I’m pretty sure it’s from early on in the season. I remember seeing it what feels like quite a while ago.