GDT - Devils vs Capitals 11/26/22 7pm MSG

NJDfan1711

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Remember how unlucky we were to land 2 “low end #1’s” 

Well those take’s certainly aged like milk. :lol:

In context, Matthews and McDavid were drafted the two previous drafts.  They were going to be impactful players always, but not generational players.  I think that’s still fair to say about Hischier (who I love).   Hughes?  There are nights he looks like the best player in the NHL.

Hischier was compared to as a cross geteeen Datsyuk offensively and Zetterberg/Toews defensively.  He started the draft projects at the end of the first and shot up…  We had to decide to skip over the safe pick of Nolan Patrick to do so.

Hughes was compared to Kane (who himself thought Hughes was better than him).  That time we had to stay steadfast and NOT select the riser in Kakko…  glad we did both.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

Watched this game at a buddy’s house who is a big caps fan so I listened to their broadcast. 

holy sh!t. i started writing some of the garbage down on my iphone it got that bad.

”this goes to show you that even mediocre teams can rip off several wins in a row.”

”at its core this is a very flawed and very overachieving hockey team.”

”there isn’t a single metric that points to this team being able to sustain any sort of pace like this moving forward.”

“this team really isn’t all that.”

”the devils are reaching. they aren’t there.”

That sounds like some one having a hard time accepting that the Caps are on the way back down

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That sounds like some one having a hard time accepting that the Caps are on the way back down

It’s really a good thing for them that they won a Cup in 2018, because there’s been a ton of playoff failures otherwise…outside of that season, every time they’ve made it in while Ovechkin’s been there, they’ve been knocked out in the first or second round.  And yeah, now this run might be coming to an end for them.

Of course, you only have to win one championship and a lot will get overlooked.  But the lack of deep playoff runs really makes that long stretch of competitive Caps hockey feel more meh than it should have been.  Those were some talented teams.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It’s really a good thing for them that they won a Cup in 2018, because there’s been a ton of playoff failures otherwise…outside of that season, every time they’ve made it in while Ovechkin’s been there, they’ve been knocked out in the first or second round.  And yeah, now this run might be coming to an end for them.

Of course, you only have to win one championship and a lot will get overlooked.  But the lack of deep playoff runs really makes that long stretch of competitive Caps hockey feel more meh than it should have been.  Those were some talented teams.

Yeah with the way the NHL is now, one cup is all you can hope for. I’ll be ecstatic if this group can bring a cup one day. There’s just so many variables now and no one is unbeatable. It really is amazing what Tampa did 

• Like 1

Soooo decided to go to hockeysfuture to see what the Caps’ fans takes were.

They basically can’t stand Eller or Mantha.  They’re fed up with their GM.  And they think it’s only a matter of time before VV comes back to Earth, though they did give him kudos for playing well last night…they did add that he was making saves for the Devils that he wasn’t making for the Caps.  I can understand their skepticism re:  VV, based on their time spent watching him…he did only have a .908 save% as a Capital, and judging from his game logs, he ran hot and cold there.  But it’s not unheard of for players to find new levels of success with a new team either…especially one that’s looking more and more impressive.  At the very least, I expect VV to be reliably solid…and given the goaltending issues in recent seasons, I’ll happily take that.

And fair to point out that VV is on an extremely fair, team-friendly contract.  His cap hit is only $3.4 million AAV.  Not like that’s ever crippling the Devils’ flexibility.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Jack vs reporters is my favorite feud in hockey... 

Some guys are artists and some guys are poets.  Jack is most definitely NOT a poet heh heh.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Or is he a poet and you do not know it?!? 

Or a poet that would rather not show it?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

I don’t hate MB, I just think he is injury prone and VV/Schmid are better with what we’ve already said.  I also think a healthy MB will get us a nice haul at the deadline, so I do hope he comes back and plays well.  Despite how things have been going for MB for the 3 seasons, I think he has value for a team on the rebuild or a team that needs more depth at that position.  That said, would Fitz trade a healthy MB for more size and depth at the forward position and go with a rookie backup into the playoffs?  

As much as I like Blackwood and think he's gotten the raw end of the deal playing for some bad Devils teams defensively, I disagree and don't think he's bringing back a nice haul at the deadline, even if he's healthy.  Guy has been fairly average even when he has been healthy, and he's going to be 26 in a week. He's not old, but he's no longer a young prospect that teams (like us) were looking at a few years ago to see if he could turn into a perennial starter. 

42 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Jack vs reporters is my favorite feud in hockey... 

It's awesome. He's been that way since he's been in the league. He just doesn't care. But not in an arrogant way or like a jerk. He's got that surfer dude attitude.  Guy might as well have been born in Jamaica. He ain't got no time for reporters, he'll give 'em a smile and a wave and then go right back to hanging 10 and scoring goals, baby.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As you’re probably aware, there’s a McMullen Night GW Zacha in my collection…haven’t worn it since he’s been dealt.  Not exactly in any rush to break it out again, heh heh…I almost feel like it would curse the Devils if I did.

That's easy. Switch the 3's for 1's and replace the nameplate with "Sharangovich". Problem solved, lol.

18 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Also I love that Jack loves that we are rowdy lol...

I welcome it. Even there are a lot of new fans or bandwagoners who show up, who cares. After the last several years of losing and bleak attendance, I welcome all fans who root and go crazy for our team. The players love it and feed off the energy and it makes it more fun to watch on tv. I can only imagine how nuts it's going to be around the playoffs...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I welcome it. Even there are a lot of new fans or bandwagoners who show up, who cares. After the last several years of losing and bleak attendance, I welcome all fans who root and go crazy for our team. The players love it and feed off the energy and it makes it more fun to watch on tv. I can only imagine how nuts it's going to be around the playoffs...

As a long time season ticket holder, I welcome all the bandwagoners, new fans and old fans who are coming back. I'd much rather sit in an energetic, loud crowd that's into the game over some of the half empty seasons where everyone was miserable and the team blows. 

There's layers to it as well, not everyone can afford season tickets or even tickets at all, whether it's money or time. I know some can only justify it when the team is winning too and I get all of it. 

Plus there's always a few games I can't get to cause of conflicts so it's lovely actually being able to sell my tickets for face value. 

The 2018 playoff crowds were wild and this is gonna be even more insane if we make it, even more so if we are the higher seed. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

As a long time season ticket holder, I welcome all the bandwagoners, new fans and old fans who are coming back. I'd much rather sit in an energetic, loud crowd that's into the game over some of the half empty seasons where everyone was miserable and the team blows. 

There's layers to it as well, not everyone can afford season tickets or even tickets at all, whether it's money or time. I know some can only justify it when the team is winning too and I get all of it. 

Plus there's always a few games I can't get to cause of conflicts so it's lovely actually being able to sell my tickets for face value. 

The 2018 playoff crowds were wild and this is gonna be even more insane if we make it, even more so if we are the higher seed. 

Obviously I’ve gone to a boatload of games through these many lean years, but given the costs, time, travel…I can certainly understand most fans saying “Nope, not ponying up to watch a crap team.  I can watch them suck right at home and can very easily change the channel.”

For me, I kept going because it was just as much about the time spent with my daughter as it was watching the Devils…and it was fun watching her begin to catch onto the nuances of the sport, even with team often bordering on being unwatchable.  And of course there was a lot of “We’re in this together, they WILL get better, they WILL!”

She’s enjoyed these newfound boisterous crowds and this highly entertaining product as much as I have.  And I think all of those lousy years have helped her appreciate how much fun it can be to watch a GOOD team do its thing.  It’s all brand new to her (she kinda sorta remembers 2018 but was only nine then, and of course that team wasn’t nearly as electric as this one).  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For me, I kept going because it was just as much about the time spent with my daughter as it was watching the Devils…and it was fun watching her begin to catch onto the nuances of the sport, even with team often bordering on being unwatchable.  And of course there was a lot of “We’re in this together, they WILL get better, they WILL!”

Same. Covid and high school schedules have gotten on the way, but we watched a lot of bad teams lol. 

Going to sit down soon and pick a game to go to. So far it’s been impossible. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Same. Covid and high school schedules have gotten on the way, but we watched a lot of bad teams lol. 

Going to sit down soon and pick a game to go to. So far it’s been impossible. 

We’ve managed five so far this year (and of course we managed to get to two losses, heh heh).  Going again on 12/9, 12/23 and 1/7…might also go on 12/28, as she’ll be on her winter break. Should be able to swing 15 games or so, I hope.  And then some playoff games of course…

Went to the home opener against Detroit, as well as Colorado, Columbus, Toronto, and Washington so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We’ve managed five so far this year (and of course we managed to get to two losses, heh heh).  Going again on 12/9, 12/23 and 1/7…might also go on 12/28, as she’ll be on her winter break. Should be able to swing 15 games or so, I hope.  And then some playoff games of course…

Winter break is what I will be shooting for. The problem is, not only does she have school and high school homework, it’s a busy performing season. She is now rehearsing for four separate shows all of which are going to happen between now and the middle of January. when they are close, the week before it’s completely consumed by rehearsals. I am hoping to get to a game over the holiday break. If not sooner. I had yesterday’s game on my calendar, but then she got invited to a party and that was that. 

I may have to go back to my old technique, which was going by myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

As much as I like Blackwood and think he's gotten the raw end of the deal playing for some bad Devils teams defensively, I disagree and don't think he's bringing back a nice haul at the deadline, even if he's healthy.  Guy has been fairly average even when he has been healthy, and he's going to be 26 in a week. He's not old, but he's no longer a young prospect that teams (like us) were looking at a few years ago to see if he could turn into a perennial starter. 

Teams that need goalie help will find value.  MB has been going through injuries the past 3 years, other than that, teams do need average goalies.  Also, you are right he is only 26, which means, if he is average then that is what they will get.  Just to clarify, by haul, I mean a rental, veteran, bottom six, nhl forward with some size.  I’m not talking top six forward or top 4 D.  MB is on an expiring contract and with Bernier coming back and Schmid playing well, MB is the odd man out.