GDT - Devils vs Capitals 11/26/22 7pm MSG

NJDfan1711

1 minute ago, Puckbuster said:

If not then MB is still a Devil through the end of the season.  If he does, than I think they should go with VV/Schmid.

I don’t think there is any way I would be looking to move Blackwood right now. Even if he is the 3rd guy, we may need that depth in the event of an injury. Even if Bernier were ready to come back, I would have zero confidence that he would stay healthy. Blackwood’s injury being a knee sprain, it’s far more likely he will be coming back at 100% than Bernier, who has a hip injury. 

Blackwood is an RFA and even if his contract runs out, we can still get something for him via a trade. 

Now, the above holds true UNLESS a team loses a goalie and gets desperate enough to overpay. Then it becomes a much harder decision to make, do you take the chance that our guys stay healthy and trade Blackwood? Obviously, that would depend on the return, and if someone is willing to overpay, I can’t say I wouldn’t listen. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t think there is any way I would be looking to move Blackwood right now. Even if he is the 3rd guy, we may need that depth in the event of an injury. Even if Bernier were ready to come back, I would have zero confidence that he would stay healthy. Blackwood’s injury being a knee sprain, it’s far more likely he will be coming back at 100% than Bernier, who has a hip injury. 

Blackwood is an RFA and even if his contract runs out, we can still get something for him via a trade. 

Now, the above holds true UNLESS a team loses a goalie and gets desperate enough to overpay. Then it becomes a much harder decision to make, do you take the chance that our guys stay healthy and trade Blackwood? Obviously, that would depend on the return, and if someone is willing to overpay, I can’t say I wouldn’t listen. 

I agree.  You said it better than I could.

16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Bernier doesn't even exist to me right now...I can't realistically ever include him as ever being part of the picture for 2022-23.

Right now, it's clearly VV/Schmid/Blackwood, as far as who's in the 2022-23 fold...Schmid has temporarily forced himself into the picture...with each good game, he cements himself that much more into keeping his job up here.  Agree that Blackwood should be kept around as insurance and I'm sure he won't like sitting, but it's one of those situations where it's more or less "Hey, you're injury-prone, you got injured, your overall body of work wasn't so impressive that you were guaranteed to hang onto your spot once healthy, and the guy who took your place is doing so well that it doesn't make much sense for us to sit him at this time."  If Schmid falters or gets hurt, Blackwood will get another shot.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1