More drama in Vancouver

SterioDesign

I guess this could be discussed in its own topic since Rachel use to work for the Devils.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/former-canucks-staffer-rachel-doerrie-alleges-team-assistant-gm-discriminated-against-her-physical-and-mental-disabilities/

It's a tricky story and obviously we're just hearing one side of the story and based on some terms and way things are framed.... i'm pretty convinced there's more to it.

Passing along info from what I heard, and presenting this info without presuming to know anything about the situation — supposedly Doerrie made several close personal relationships with media members, so the scathing reports defending her may not be presented without some significant biases. 

35 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Speaking of - isn’t this the woman that was claiming Luke had character issues?

I’m pretty sure she also trashed the Devils player development and spoke out against a few of their picks like Mukhamadullin on a podcast after her release from here. I remember her being an huge Hynes supporter. And said we’d regret trading Joey Anderson. 

Looks like this thing with Vancouver is her second messy break up with a team. 

I don’t know much about Castonguay but seems like they were hired around the same time and immediately had issues. 

58 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m pretty sure she also trashed the Devils player development and spoke out against a few of their picks like Mukhamadullin on a podcast after her release from here. I remember her being an huge Hynes supporter. And said we’d regret trading Joey Anderson. 

Looks like this thing with Vancouver is her second messy break up with a team. 

I don’t know much about Castonguay but seems like they were hired around the same time and immediately had issues. 

This is just me purely speculating. But if im Rutherford, i'd be very very careful hiring someone with those conditions and putting that person in a position that can bring a lot of stress. No matter the gender and all that, it's just not safe for their well-being. And when she was hired along with Castonguay within a few days. He made really made it about diversity and everything in his statement. So looks like this might have being a slightly forced hiring just to be diverse, make a statement, but not looking at all aspects and if it was really a good fit / truly a safe environment for her. Especially when she was pretty vocal about that during the interview.

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

This is just me purely speculating. But if im Rutherford, i'd be very very careful hiring someone with those conditions and putting that person in a position that can bring a lot of stress. No matter the gender and all that, it's just not safe for their well-being. And when she was hired along with Castonguay within a few days. He made really made it about diversity and everything in his statement. So looks like this might have being a slightly forced hiring just to be diverse, make a statement, but not looking at all aspects and if it was really a good fit / truly a safe environment for her. Especially when she was pretty vocal about that during the interview.

She said we would regret trading Joey Anderson, obviously she's nuts. 

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Virtue signaling biting him in the arse

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Virtue signaling biting him in the arse

Well not him as much but mostly for her that she was put in that situation that could be detrimental to her well being.

I do think she knows her hockey and could have been a great employee. But based on everything reported and stuff i read. Her condition on one hand and then her tendency to push her agenda in everything on the other hand. Really not sure it was a good fit

• Like 1

*At the risk of sounding self-obsessed*

Speaking as someone with crippling anxiety, I can absolutely sympathize with her. I don't have PTSD but from my experience, employers and management in any field tend to not take anxiety seriously or tend to try and minimize the gravity of mental issues. 

As SD kind of alluded to, in my mind this probably seemed like a win-win for Rutherford. "Hey I pick up a few great hockey minds for ops and it's great optics in terms of gender equality moves", him and his team probably brushed aside any serious concerns about her mental state until it became too much of a distraction, then it just seems like it was handled very sloppily. She allegedly alerted them to her condition before her hiring, if that's true then it seems like the org just botched this whole situation and it turned into a PR and HR nightmare.

There's an old phrase: "Never attribute to malice what can easily be explained by incompetence."

On 11/28/2022 at 4:04 PM, SterioDesign said:

Well not him as much but mostly for her that she was put in that situation that could be detrimental to her well being.

I do think she knows her hockey and could have been a great employee. But based on everything reported and stuff i read. Her condition on one hand and then her tendency to push her agenda in everything on the other hand. Really not sure it was a good fit

22 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The rumors I read even dating back to when she worked for the Devils was she is incredibly smart but doesn't work well with people. I have no idea how true that is.

This is what I have the feeling is the case: she's very hockey smart, but has ABSOLUTELY ZERO interpersonal skills and HAS to be the smartest person in a discussion or on a topic and will not accept being told she was wrong. Before she purged her Twitter she absolutely had negative interactions with everyone: from fans to reporters to players themselves, she would stick to her stance and have no budging.

Reading the complaint she made public, I get the feeling there were a lot of interactions between her and the AGM where the AGM made a decision, but she would insist on being right and disregard that decision or straight up be insubordinate. Regardless of how smart or right you are, you cannot undermine your boss.

My stance is also heavily enforced through the aforementioned purging of her twitter. To me, it was a clear sign she was trying to hide her interactions so it couldn't be used against her.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

This is what I have the feeling is the case: she's very hockey smart, but has ABSOLUTELY ZERO interpersonal skills and HAS to be the smartest person in a discussion or on a topic and will not accept being told she was wrong. Before she purged her Twitter she absolutely had negative interactions with everyone: from fans to reporters to players themselves, she would stick to her stance and have no budging.

Reading the complaint she made public, I get the feeling there were a lot of interactions between her and the AGM where the AGM made a decision, but she would insist on being right and disregard that decision or straight up be insubordinate. Regardless of how smart or right you are, you cannot undermine your boss.

My stance is also heavily enforced through the aforementioned purging of her twitter. To me, it was a clear sign she was trying to hide her interactions so it couldn't be used against her.

Not directly related to that but i found this article and here's something that was said.

“(Devils CEO) Scott O’Neil had a meeting where he got together with coordinator-level people in the office. It was just sort of an informal ‘let’s talk’ thing,” Doerrie said. “He asked if we had any questions for him. I said, ‘I want to know why this organization doesn’t do anything in the mental health space because it’s something that is really important, especially given the fact that athletes have come out and said they’ve suffered from mental health issues and felt like they didn’t get enough support.'”

It was taken from this article

https://theathletic.com/797736/2019/02/05/rachel-doerries-rise-in-hockey-will-continue-elsewhere-but-the-impact-she-left-on-the-devils-goes-beyond-the-ice/

Just the way she framed "i want to know why this organization doesn't do anything for mental health..." vs "have you guys ever considered doing something for mental health..." i may be exagerating this in my mind cause i can't stand people like that... but ive seen it so often i feel i know that type lol. Those people are just self-absorbed with their narratives and agendas, and convinced they are the good-guy so nothing they can do is wrong cause it's in the name of what is right. And i know for a fact that it's just sucking the air and patience from everyone in a group when someone is like that. You just feel like you're walking on egg-shells all the time.

And it's totally that kind of people infecting companies and Hollywood being like "so I hope you guys are aware that here was never a lead character in star wars that was a black trans in a wheelchair dealing with severe anxiety and that has same sex parents! Are you guys biggot or something?!" and by seeing some stuff coming out recently, it's actually working lol Also i've been designing series of posters for a college every year... and it's legit like that, any characters in the posters has to have... one of these groups to make sure everyone is represented. And they give me specifically a list of like 15 "conditions" or wtv and there's only 6-7 characters, so i literally have to mix them up lol. It's becoming ridiculous. 

Edited by SterioDesign

@SterioDesign I agree with you. It’s like there’s malice from even the way she presented the question. Like “I hope you know, you’re failing by not having this, so why don’t you.” 

It’s no secret how seriously I take mental health, but we have a literal team of people from different backgrounds to implement improved processes within my organization. It didn’t require a backhanded insult in the form of a question.

another aspect of this situation that makes me firmly believe she is the problem and not anyone else were her own comments to the reporter (and I guess an extent that relationship with said reporter). If any of us go give a presentation, and we come out saying wow that didn’t feel great, odds are we’ll ask a colleague “i hope I didn’t sound like an idiot.” Odds are we’re not asking someone else to write an article to make us “not sound like an idiot.” Joking or not there’s already some level of self awareness that her message is getting lost to the organization and she is well aware she isn’t sounding smart. She’s also a member of a professional organization with a close relationship with at least one reporter, which next it isn’t hard to fathom she’s probably giving information out she shouldn’t be, or at least the perception is there, yet she has zero awareness of that and blames a woman-hating female AGM.

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

@SterioDesign I agree with you. It’s like there’s malice from even the way she presented the question. Like “I hope you know, you’re failing by not having this, so why don’t you.” 

It’s no secret how seriously I take mental health, but we have a literal team of people from different backgrounds to implement improved processes within my organization. It didn’t require a backhanded insult in the form of a question.

another aspect of this situation that makes me firmly believe she is the problem and not anyone else were her own comments to the reporter (and I guess an extent that relationship with said reporter). If any of us go give a presentation, and we come out saying wow that didn’t feel great, odds are we’ll ask a colleague “i hope I didn’t sound like an idiot.” Odds are we’re not asking someone else to write an article to make us “not sound like an idiot.” Joking or not there’s already some level of self awareness that her message is getting lost to the organization and she is well aware she isn’t sounding smart. She’s also a member of a professional organization with a close relationship with at least one reporter, which next it isn’t hard to fathom she’s probably giving information out she shouldn’t be, or at least the perception is there, yet she has zero awareness of that and blames a woman-hating female AGM.

Yeah it's lacking self-awareness. in the pdf piece thing... it starts with saying how that world is full of cis male and how its hard for women and people of colour etc etc But her problems were directly with another woman... so why even bring that up? If anything and again this is me 200% speculating. But it might be that she was indeed hard to deal with but another woman was the only person actually willing to say anything cause all males were walking on egg shells knowing if they said anything she'd play that discrimination card... but she still did when a woman did it so....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Not directly related to that but i found this article and here's something that was said.

It was taken from this article

https://theathletic.com/797736/2019/02/05/rachel-doerries-rise-in-hockey-will-continue-elsewhere-but-the-impact-she-left-on-the-devils-goes-beyond-the-ice/

Just the way she framed "i want to know why this organization doesn't do anything for mental health..." vs "have you guys ever considered doing something for mental health..." i may be exagerating this in my mind cause i can't stand people like that... but ive seen it so often i feel i know that type lol. Those people are just self-absorbed with their narratives and agendas, and convinced they are the good-guy so nothing they can do is wrong cause it's in the name of what is right. And i know for a fact that it's just sucking the air and patience from everyone in a group when someone is like that. You just feel like you're walking on egg-shells all the time.

And it's totally that kind of people infecting companies and Hollywood being like "so I hope you guys are aware that here was never a lead character in star wars that was a black trans in a wheelchair dealing with severe anxiety and that has same sex parents! Are you guys biggot or something?!" and by seeing some stuff coming out recently, it's actually working lol Also i've been designing series of posters for a college every year... and it's legit like that, any characters in the posters has to have... one of these groups to make sure everyone is represented. And they give me specifically a list of like 15 "conditions" or wtv and there's only 6-7 characters, so i literally have to mix them up lol. It's becoming ridiculous. 

“(Devils CEO) Scott O’Neil had a meeting where he got together with coordinator-level people in the office. It was just sort of an informal ‘let’s talk’ thing,” Doerrie said. “He asked if we had any questions for him. I said, ‘I want to know why this organization doesn’t do anything in the mental health space because it’s something that is really important, especially given the fact that athletes have come out and said they’ve suffered from mental health issues and felt like they didn’t get enough support.'”

What people like her sadly don't realize is that they do so much more to damn their causes than they ever do to further them.  That high-and-mighty "How are you not just sooooooo enlightened like I am?" attitude...goddamn is that just so annoying.  Like you said, if she framed it a different way, I could absolutely understand where she was coming from...instead, she came across as bitchy and abrasive.  

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What people like her sadly don't realize is that they do so much more to damn their causes than they ever do to further them.  That high-and-mighty "How are you not just sooooooo enlightened like I am?" attitude...goddamn is that just so annoying.  Like you said, if she framed it a different way, I could absolutely understand where she was coming from...instead, she came across as bitchy and abrasive.  

and im thinking if this is one quote that she shared publicly like it was no problem at all... imagine all the things she might have said on a daily basis that could have rubbed people the wrong way.

Edited by SterioDesign

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

and im thinking if this is one quote that she shared publicly like it was no problem at all... imagine all the things she might have said on a daily basis that could have rubbed people the wrong way.

For sure, even if she had valid points, I'm sure she often phrased them in a way that had people rolling their eyes and thinking "Oh god just shut up already!"  

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For sure, even if she had valid points, I'm sure she often phrased them in a way that had people rolling their eyes and thinking "Oh god just shut up already!"  

My daily experience on NJDevs with some people, and some people’s daily experience in NJDevs with me, I would bet lol.