How "All In" are you willing to go for 2022-23?

Colorado Rockies 1976

Obviously this is all hypothetical, as it's still relatively early...

BUT, if the Devils are continuing to look as legit as they do right now and staying as healthy as an NHL team can be expected to over the grind of a long season...are you willing to go "all in" and sacrifice some future assets for this year, as the deadline approaches?  Like @Crisis suggested, do you make a move for Patrick Kane, who would probably be here for only this season?  Or would you make more of a shore-up kind of move...say, look for a vet upgrade over Smith?

Re:  a specific player like Kane, I'd consider Holtz + 2nd-rounder + Walsh + some other Utica piece.  I don't kid myself...I'm sure the B'Hawks will want a first-rounder, and for once the Devils' pick figures to slot in the bottom of the round.  It really depends on how much competition there would be for Kane's services...or if the Hawks are willing to eat any of his remaining money.  And of course, I have to be sure that I feel THAT strongly about this team's chances to win a Cup in 2023...we know that any team can get knocked out in the first round, even teams that put up gaudy regular season records...and it's not like the kid core here is chock full of experience...next year might be the better season to make that big "right fvcking NOW" move.

Thoughts?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

From an entertainment point of view, I'm enjoying just watching this team surpass all of our expectations.  I kinda wouldn't mind just letting this group see how far they can take it before we start ramping up the playoff expectations to an 11. 

I wouldn't be totally against a trade that brings a player for multiple years but I don't want to go all in on a rental for this year.     

• Like 2

I think I would prefer a typical Lou shore up move like Broten. It seems from watching hockey all these years it seems the big names don't produce as much as anticipated for the acquiring team.

(Was Broten a shore up move or a big name? Chambers?) Any way it is a nice dilemma to have.

• Like 1

Timo Meier will be the perfect Devils ... And i'm sure Nico will be pleased ! (If Holtz is the price so be it).

Only problem, he will ask for the moon really soon so.. pay Holtz for what could be some high deluxe rental... is tricky ! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moustic said:

Timo Meier will be the perfect Devils ... And i'm sure Nico will be pleased ! (If Holtz is the price so be it).

Only problem, he will ask for the moon really soon so.. pay Holtz for what could be some high deluxe rental... is tricky ! 

This I would be interested in. 

• Like 2

They are all in.  There is no need to give up assets.  Palat has been out since October, when he returns there’s your deadline addition.  MB has been out, there’s your depth in net with Schmid.  Bastian is out and now is Marino, they have the depth to fill in the voids.  So, absolutely no assets for a rental.  Holtz will be a star in this system.  Also, there will be a lot of UFAs this upcoming offseason so they will need to fill holes.  This team is a contender with the injuries.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I wouldnt make any big all-in moves this year for a rental. But i'd totally be down to make a hockey deal bringing a younger guy to join our core. Thats what i'd rather use our assets on

Bolded is where I am...no matter how gaudy the Devils' record might be, a lot of key players have had little or no playoff experience.  I wouldn't make that all-in trade this season.

I'm onboard with a shore-up deal or yeah, bringing in a relatively young player with prime years left who seems like a good fit for the Devils' system.

re:  Kane, if anything, assuming the Devils are high on him, sign him when he becomes a UFA for a year or two...won't cost anything but money.  A guy like him who's just looking to play on a good young team will probably take a discount to get one last shot at winning.    

1 minute ago, Puckbuster said:

They are all in.  There is no need to give up assets.  Palat has been out since October, when he returns there’s your deadline addition.  MB has been out, there’s your depth in net with Schmid.  Bastian is out and now is Marino, they have the depth to fill in the voids.  So, absolutely no assets for a rental.  Holtz will be a star in this system.  Also, there will be a lot of UFAs this upcoming offseason so they will need to fill holes.  This team is a contender with the injuries.

Bolded seems like very wishful thinking.  Not saying it absolutely cannot happen but he's shown absolutely nothing to suggest it's a foregone conclusion.  Depending on what the return is, I would absolutely package him to get an established producer.

Gotta be honest I’m not as high on Holtz as I was in the beginning of the year. I thought he looked good in the first couple of games but against the Rags he looked lost. We can excuse that to lack of playtime lately though.

I wouldn’t trade him for a rental per day but I’m open to moving him. I think him paired with a 1st is good value for a team looking to unload a 25 or 26 year old contract for youth. 

Edited by Jerzey

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I wouldnt make any big all-in moves this year for a rental. But i'd totally be down to make a hockey deal bringing a younger guy to join our core. Thats what i'd rather use our assets on

This is makes a ton of sense and I largely agree with it, but I wonder who is out there that can be acquired that fits the bill. Losing teams don't want to trade their younger guys, for the most part. 

If the Devils go the "big name" acquisition route, I would love Tarasenko. He's off to a slow start, slow enough where I wonder if the Devils can get it done without sending Holtz/a first round pick. Imagine a playoff lineup looking something like...

Tatar-Hischier-Bratt
Tarasenko-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Haula-Sharangovich
Wood-Bastian-McLeod/Zetterlund

Drool-worthy. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

This is makes a ton of sense and I largely agree with it, but I wonder who is out there that can be acquired that fits the bill. Losing teams don't want to trade their younger guys, for the most part. 

If the Devils go the "big name" acquisition route, I would love Tarasenko. He's off to a slow start, slow enough where I wonder if the Devils can get it done without sending Holtz/a first round pick. Imagine a playoff lineup looking something like...

Tatar-Hischier-Bratt
Tarasenko-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Haula-Sharangovich

Drool-worthy. 

Imagine we are in a place where we imagine our playoff lineup, we are ok with imagining Tomas fvcking Tatar on the first line. 

Who would've thought that prior to the start of the season?

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Imagine we are in a place where we imagine our playoff lineup, we are ok with imagining Tomas fvcking Tatar on the first line. 

Who would've thought that prior to the start of the season?

Bizarre turnaround. It just all of a sudden clicked for him.

Wasn't even a case of "oh, this guy looks good, just can't buy any points." No, he was "this guy looks horrendous and has no points, what the fvck is happening." 

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Tatar-Hischier-Bratt
Tarasenko-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Haula-Sharangovich

Drool-worthy. 

For guys like Tarasenko, Kane, etc...curious to see who steps up to make a big offer.  I can see Fitz making a move, but only at a price that makes sense to him.  If someone else wants to go fully all-in, he'll pivot to something less pricey (and as Lou showed, it's not always the "obvious" targets that wind up becoming good deals). 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Bolded seems like very wishful thinking.  Not saying it absolutely cannot happen but he's shown absolutely nothing to suggest it's a foregone conclusion.  Depending on what the return is, I would absolutely package him to get an established producer.

He has good underlying numbers, once he starts putting the puck in the back of the net he will be a Devils star.

The Devils are rolling with 4 lines and that is depth.  I believe they are 2nd in the league in GF/G and 1st in GA/G.  That is depth.  Teams that give up assets for rentals do it because they lack depth.

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For guys like Tarasenko, Kane, etc...curious to see who steps up to make a big offer.  I can see Fitz making a move, but only at a price that makes sense to him.  If someone else wants to go fully all-in, he'll pivot to something less pricey (and as Lou showed, it's not always the "obvious" targets that wind up becoming good deals). 

Tarasenko is only at 5 goals in 20 games played so far. A lot of that is how poorly the blues started, and he seems to have been getting some rotten puck luck. But if he's only at ~15 goals by the deadline, I can't see him costing more than a 2nd round pick. Teams aren't going to bust down the door for name alone.

What's interesting and not being mentioned too much is the fact that the Devils are right up against the Cap. It's not like every other season where they can take on whatever they want -- if the Devils want to add a guy like Tarasenko (or especially a guy like Meier), Fitz is going to need to get creative with the salary cap. I wonder if that creativity might come in the form of a Blackwood trade... 

Just now, Puckbuster said:

He has good underlying numbers, once he starts putting the puck in the back of the net he will be a Devils star.

The Devils are rolling with 4 lines and that is depth.  I believe they are 2nd in the league in GF/G and 1st in GA/G.  That is depth.  Teams that give up assets for rentals do it because they lack depth.

The thing is... you said Holtz would do great in this system. This system is literally built on speed and it's not really a part of his game at all. 

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Tarasenko is only at 5 goals in 20 games played so far. A lot of that is how poorly the blues started, and he seems to have been getting some rotten puck luck. But if he's only at ~15 goals by the deadline, I can't see him costing more than a 2nd round pick. Teams aren't going to bust down the door for name alone.

What's interesting and not being mentioned too much is the fact that the Devils are right up against the Cap. It's not like every other season where they can take on whatever they want -- if the Devils want to add a guy like Tarasenko (or especially a guy like Meier), Fitz is going to need to get creative with the salary cap. I wonder if that creativity might come in the form of a Blackwood trade... 

With a $2.8m cap hit, I am not sure trading Blackwood does much toward adding Tarasenko ($7.5m) or Meier ($6m). In addition, wouldn't slotting in another goalie (Daws) also count against the cap, meaning $850k of that $2.8m would be otherwise spoken for? Or is that something we don't worry about because he only gets called up if one of the other two is hurt, in which case they get moved to LTIR? 

1 minute ago, Puckbuster said:

Speed isn’t an issue with Holtz.  That’s why he’s back in the NHL.  

He's back in the NHL because Bastian got injured. Otherwise he wouldn't be. Anyone who has watched him play should recognize that his speed is an issue. 

Edited by mfitz804

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

no, don’t want Tarasenko.

30 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

100%. We aren’t at the ‘all-in for a rental’ stage yet; that’s probably a year away still. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

With a $2.8m cap hit, I am not sure trading Blackwood does much toward adding Tarasenko ($7.5m) or Meier ($6m). In addition, wouldn't slotting in another goalie (Daws) also count against the cap, meaning $850k of that $2.8m would be otherwise spoken for? Or is that something we don't worry about because he only gets called up if one of the other two is hurt, in which case they get moved to LTIR? 

He's back in the NHL because Bastian got injured. Otherwise he wouldn't be. Anyone who has watched him play should recognize that his speed is an issue. 

Ok, well I’ve watched play and I don’t see speed an issue.  He’s actually not even a defensive liability.  If anything he needs to shoot more.

• Like 1