How "All In" are you willing to go for 2022-23?

Colorado Rockies 1976

3 minutes ago, devlman said:

You keep harping on this but yet it’s based on an extremely small sample size. We get it - you don’t like the guy but he’s played mostly 4th line minutes and one game after sitting for a month.

There’s no indication that he won’t be a great player one day. His development is coming along fine. His skating is fine. Him not cracking the lineup on a team that is white hot is not an indictment of him. Giving up on him and writing him off now would be extremely foolish.

I agree.  He’s scouting report mentions his speed, but that was on international ice.  Now the ice is smaller and needs to make quicker decisions.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

it's also not just about his actual.... speed when he's skating. It's also his decision making at the speed of the NHL and his pace. Thats all falling under... speed

That all comes with experience and development. Lindy has acknowledged his progress in this area. To write him off because he’s not a complete picture yet is just as foolish as the Nico write-off’s last year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, devlman said:

Do you guys hear yourselves? You’re not high on him because the 10 min of 4th line ice time he played after not playing for a month wasn’t good? He looked just fine to me. He didn’t make costly mistakes, he was sound defensively. That is what I’m sure the coaching staff asked him to focus on. What could you have possibly been expecting…

It was the same last year for Schmid.

13 minutes ago, devlman said:

You keep harping on this but yet it’s based on an extremely small sample size. We get it - you don’t like the guy but he’s played mostly 4th line minutes and one game after sitting for a month.

There’s no indication that he won’t be a great player one day. His development is coming along fine. His skating is fine. Him not cracking the lineup on a team that is white hot is not an indictment of him. Giving up on him and writing him off now would be extremely foolish.

Other people are noticing his deficiencies too…including the team that employs him.  Not like I’m the only one.  He was given a shot to stick with the big club and he couldn’t.  I’ve said that it doesn’t have to happen for him this year anyway…he seems like he’s a couple of years away.  

I’m also not saying to give him away.  Like I said, if he goes as part of a package for a fairly young player who can be a productive part of this core, I’m good with it. 

1 hour ago, devlman said:

That all comes with experience and development. Lindy has acknowledged his progress in this area. To write him off because he’s not a complete picture yet is just as foolish as the Nico write-off’s last year.

i'm not writing him off. But to make a statement that a specific player will be amazing in a system where the #1 tool required is one he's struggling with at the moment is a fair point to challenge and discuss. It still fall into the "remain to be seen" category for me and im not sure how that's not fair

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, devlman said:

Agree with this. I don’t think he is there yet, but he isn’t “trade him for a rental” yet. Now Jesper Boqvist…

1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Ya I'm not even sure if it's worth it to trade Severson at this point, just from a locker room distraction stand point. If we are leading the division at that point I'm ok if he walks in the summer.

You definitely don’t trade Severson is we are playoff bound. That would make no sense at all. We’re going to be buyers, not sellers. I’m not interested in bolstering anyone else’s postseason roster. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You definitely don’t trade Severson is we are playoff bound. That would make no sense at all. We’re going to be buyers, not sellers. I’m not interested in bolstering anyone else’s postseason roster. 

i'd be open to a hockey trade involving Severson if it made sense.

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i'd be open to a hockey trade involving Severson if it made sense.

I mean if you are going to bowl me over, sure. Am I trading him for a pick or two when I am trying to make a deep playoff run? I don’t think I am. And I don’t know what else you would get for him, especially because anyone trading for him as a rental is also on their own playoff run and isn’t giving you anything good. 

36 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean if you are going to bowl me over, sure. Am I trading him for a pick or two when I am trying to make a deep playoff run? I don’t think I am. And I don’t know what else you would get for him, especially because anyone trading for him as a rental is also on their own playoff run and isn’t giving you anything good. 

Well you just never know.

A playoffs team really going for it may lose a top 4 dman before the deadline. Dont have much depth and are desperate so they may be willing to swap him for a forward or picks.

Gotta stay open to the possibility. Especially when we have plenty of younger guys who can likely step in into his spot if we have to

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well you just never know.

A playoffs team really going for it may lose a top 4 dman before the deadline. Dont have much depth and are desperate so they may be willing to swap him for a forward or picks.

Gotta stay open to the possibility. Especially when we have plenty of younger guys who can likely step in into his spot if we have to

Trust me, I don’t want Severson lol. I just don’t want to give up one of our top 6 D-men, we could have injuries too. 

That said, for all players not named Nico or Jack, tell me what you are offering. Worst I can say is no lol. 

My biggest worry is that this team isn’t ready for the playoff grind, no matter how good they are this season.  Perhaps I’m looking at it the wrong way, but my POV is this: this is a team that thrives on speed, but very few of our players have spent much time in the playoffs.  Palat is the obvious exception, but I can’t help but worry about how our speed game breaks down as the fatigue of the playoffs sets in and the games get more punishing.  For my money, I think run with this team as it is constructed and let them learn to win.  Assuming they make the playoffs—a virtual certainty that I hope I didn’t just jinx—they’ll get their first real taste of the intensity of playoff hockey in the NHL.  After this year I would begin to earnestly make moves for a cup, but for now I’d leave it.  Then again, maybe this is why I’m not a GM. ;)

As an aside, I recall reading (maybe on this site?) that Fitz doesn’t like deadline trades.  Assuming that’s correct, I think he won’t do anything much this season and run with this team.  If we hadn’t gone on such a tear then I’d say we move Sev for more assets or an upgrade somewhere.  As it is now, though, I think Fitz let’s this team figure out how far they can get.

Thats my two cents.  Good thread CR1976.

6 hours ago, MB3 said:

Bizarre turnaround. It just all of a sudden clicked for him.

Wasn't even a case of "oh, this guy looks good, just can't buy any points." No, he was "this guy looks horrendous and has no points, what the fvck is happening." 

I never followed Tatar prior to his joining the Devs, but was the knock on him poor playoff performance?  Or poor regular season?  Or something else?  I want to say I heard his issue was the playoffs, but maybe I’m thinking of Marino.  Anyway, I’m a curious as you about his turnaround.  Maybe he’s finally motivated now we have a chance to win something?

Edit: oh wow, I just looked him up and he’s been in the league over ten years!?  He started around the time my kids were born and I was up to my neck in crappy diapers, but I thought he’d only been around about 5 years.  Looking at his history, I feel like he has returned to form I suppose, but I’d be curious what other people think about him.  Not sure if that’s worth a thread tho…

Edited by AEWHistory
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

In Montreal it was terrible regular season play, to the point that they sat him during their cup run. He just looked completely done there and that's why I hated the signing. But I'm quite happy to be wrong on him if he keeps this up.

And he wasn’t great here last year either. Most people wanted him and Johnsson gone, and were disappointed Tatar was still here starting the season. 

7 hours ago, MB3 said:

Bizarre turnaround. It just all of a sudden clicked for him.

Wasn't even a case of "oh, this guy looks good, just can't buy any points." No, he was "this guy looks horrendous and has no points, what the fvck is happening." 

Actually, as you know i was indeed making the "oh, this guy looks good, just can't buy any points." point and we argued about it haha

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Actually, as you know i was indeed making the "oh, this guy looks good, just can't buy any points." point and we argued about it haha

you were definitely the forum’s only Tatar champion for a while there, props to you.

On 11/3/2022 at 8:40 PM, Nicomo said:

Tatar is currently a better hockey player than Holtz. People won’t like hearing that but it’s true. 

I agree he shouldn’t be up with the big club if he’s not going to play though. Send him back to Utica. 

18 minutes ago, MB3 said:

you were definitely the forum’s only Tatar champion for a while there, props to you.

I wouldn’t say I was ever his “champion” but I got some pushback for my post above at the time (including from you), and I think most would agree with it now. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MB3 said:

Well i don't remember exactly who it was but i remember some members here commenting that Tatar looked "shot out of a canon early in this game" and other positive comments like this. So i don't think i was alone. Which was the game a lot of you guys bashed him and where we got into that argument. And truly i thought he looked fine and had great chances.

I think then fans were emotional because of the losses, looking for a scapegoat and pissed off because they got pulled into that Tatar vs Holtz thing. Which never really made that much sense to me anyway. It was certainly not Tatar's fault if Holtz didn't win a spot. He sure was given every opportunities by playing with Hughes. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

100%. We aren’t at the ‘all-in for a rental’ stage yet; that’s probably a year away still. 

I expect the GM will be active at the trade deadline. There's no reason to wait if you're in contention. Like Rock said, beware the superstar acquisition in the last year of a contract. It often doesn't work out. We won the Cup in 2000, but Mogilny was not a HUGE factor. He was a star in his first full season in 2001, though. We have had a handful of terrific midlevel acquisitions over the years like Neal Broten and Pat Maroon. I don't think we make the 2012 finals without Marek Zidlicky. Like Maroon in 2018, Nieuwendyk and Langenbrunner played well in 2002 down the stretch but we went out early.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lateralous said:

From an entertainment point of view, I'm enjoying just watching this team surpass all of our expectations.  I kinda wouldn't mind just letting this group see how far they can take it before we start ramping up the playoff expectations to an 11. 

I wouldn't be totally against a trade that brings a player for multiple years but I don't want to go all in on a rental for this year.     

1000%.  Chemistry to me is real, and I'm not saying this team is perfect, but we're #1/#2 in the league right now, through about 25% of the season. I'm not fvcking up the recipe when the meal tastes pretty damn good at the moment. 

Like you mentioned, if there's a possibility to bring in a key player for a long time, I'm not opposed to entertaining the idea, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make any moves, and certainly not any that would be for short term gains and rental players.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

1000%.  Chemistry to me is real, and I'm not saying this team is perfect, but we're #1/#2 in the league right now, through about 25% of the season. I'm not fvcking up the recipe when the meal tastes pretty damn good at the moment. 

Like you mentioned, if there's a possibility to bring in a key player for a long time, I'm not opposed to entertaining the idea, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make any moves, and certainly not any that would be for short term gains and rental players.

Thats why i'm really hoping we can go for Meier cause we know he has crazy chemistry with Nico and he'd fit in perfectly. I wouldn't want him just as a rental though.

That's another reason why Bratt signing a "fair" contract like Nico and Jack could go a long way to bring in guys like Meier. We're already close to the cap

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Thats why i'm really hoping we can go for Meier cause we know he has crazy chemistry with Nico and he'd fit in perfectly. I wouldn't want him just as a rental though.

That's another reason why Bratt signing a "fair" contract like Nico and Jack could go a long way to bring in guys like Meier. We're already close to the cap

I would like to see that happen, but if by some miracle we retain Bratt AND bring in Meier, that’s pretty much all of the big salary guys we can have, any other spaces would have to be filled by entry level (or close to) guys. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I would like to see that happen, but if by some miracle we retain Bratt AND bring in Meier, that’s pretty much all of the big salary guys we can have, any other spaces would have to be filled by entry level (or close to) guys. 

yeah and hoping Hughes, Nemec or whoever doesnt command crazy money right off their ELC. Also hoping the cap goes up a few millions over the next 3-4 seasons

But its just the reality of how you have to win in this league. Often you win one year knowing the next you'll have to move some guys.

Edited by SterioDesign