GDT - Devils vs Predators 12/1/22 7:00pm MSGSN

NJDfan1711

39 minutes ago, MB3 said:

there’s no way you can consider blowing a lead with 8 seconds left a “win win”. i’m all for saying this might be a moral victory in the end but “win win” ain’t it lol

Pretty sure it was the definition of “lose”. But silver linings and all that. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Pretty sure it was the definition of “lose”. But silver linings and all that. 

lmao yeah, exactly. 

like, there are positives to take away -- the team didn't give up after an unlucky first period, the team faced an elite goalie who played incredibly and still shoulda won, the team was without 2 big emotional leaders (wood and bastian) but fought back, holtz ripped a heck of a shot.

but there are negatives... siegenthaler and dougie were pretty awful. nico had a tough game. sharangovich had a beyond tough game. vanecek wasn't great. they blew a lead with 8 seconds left after spending a 2 minute powerplay playing patty cake instead of trying to win the hockey game. 

"moral victory" i'll agree with. "win-win" on a game we "lost-lost" is stupid. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MB3 said:

there’s no way you can consider blowing a lead with 8 seconds left a “win win”. i’m all for saying this might be a moral victory in the end but “win win” ain’t it lol

It’s not a win-win but a learning experience for the boys. If we want to be a cup contender or do some damage in the playoffs (if we make it of course) they need to learn how to handle these types of games. We still have trouble getting going in the first period and learning how to close out games with a few minutes left. Overall they’ve  done well holding the lead but good teams or playoff teams do this on a regular basis.

we need these types of games for the team to get better. 

Edited by Devils01
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I think the curve the devils are being graded on is the same as it’s ever been. First place team, last place team, win streak, losing streak — doesn’t matter when you have a 1 goal lead with 8 seconds left. You have to close it out.

Sure but it's not like leads like that are never ever blown.  Yeah you hate to see it happen and it sucks big-time in the moment, but every now and then it simply does happen.  If the Devils had some aggravating history this year of constantly blowing leads I'd definitely be more pissed, but this feels more like an anomaly.  

image.thumb.png.e00d75f59c590ad61a0f36db0bba54a2.png

This pretty much matches what I saw. The Devils got unlucky bounces, the Predators got lucky bounces, Saros was good, Vitek was not. 

Their "win-o-meter" based on high danger scoring chances and puck possession had the Devils near 75%. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

image.thumb.png.e00d75f59c590ad61a0f36db0bba54a2.png

This pretty much matches what I saw. The Devils got unlucky bounces, the Predators got lucky bounces, Saros was good, Vitek was not. 

Their "win-o-meter" based on high danger scoring chances and puck possession had the Devils near 75%. 

That's weird, I plotted what we played like on a chart and it came out like this:

Screenshot (200).png

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

If you like advanced stats fine.  But for me after I see these charts and after my eyes glaze over, I remember a course I took in college in the '70's (Yes I'm that old and probably why i'm adverse to advanced stats.)

It was called "How to lie with Statistics"  So whenever I see a graph that tells me the Devils won when in reality they f'n LOST, I call SHENANIGANS! (A South Park reference😀)

I'm sure the flames will reign down upon me now.😎

2 hours ago, Devils01 said:

It’s not a win-win but a learning experience for the boys. If we want to be a cup contender or do some damage in the playoffs (if we make it of course) they need to learn how to handle these types of games. We still have trouble getting going in the first period and learning how to close out games with a few minutes left. Overall they’ve  done well holding the lead but good teams or playoff teams do this on a regular basis.

we need these types of games for the team to get better. 

That's my mindset as well.

They can and will 100% learn from how this game ended. And its better to learn this now and bounce back than later in the season when it's close to the playoffs and it might play with their heads.

Its no secret that teams that smoothly sail through a season into the playoffs generally don't do too well vs teams who battled hard all year to barely make it, those guys has already been in playoffs mode for week getting in. So yeah i welcome these games totally earlier in the season

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

That's my mindset as well.

They can and will 100% learn from how this game ended. And its better to learn this now and bounce back than later in the season when it's close to the playoffs and it might play with their heads.

Its no secret that teams that smoothly sail through a season into the playoffs generally don't do too well vs teams who battled hard all year to barely make it, those guys has already been in playoffs mode for week getting in. So yeah i welcome these games totally earlier in the season

One thing is for sure, I don't see them playing keepaway on a late game power play in a close game again...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s one thing we better not see ever again. You play to win for 60 minutes.

I’d say more to pick a strategy and commit.  Wanna play keep away and avoid a potential break the other way, OK.  Wanna go for the kill on the power play, OK.  Have one or two players suddenly decide “Hey maybe we can score after all!” (which I suspect surprised everyone else on that PP unit), no bueno.  

• Like 1

https://nypost.com/2022/12/01/devils-fall-in-ot-suffer-7th-straight-home-loss-to-predators/amp/

Devils coach Lindy Ruff said his team was trying to score on the late man-advantage even though they deployed a second defenseman.

“We wanted to attack, we wanted to try to score, but at the same time we were going to be smart and have two defensemen for both units,” Ruff said. “So execution there wasn’t what we wanted.”

1 minute ago, Bonginator11 said:

https://nypost.com/2022/12/01/devils-fall-in-ot-suffer-7th-straight-home-loss-to-predators/amp/

Devils coach Lindy Ruff said his team was trying to score on the late man-advantage even though they deployed a second defenseman.

“We wanted to attack, we wanted to try to score, but at the same time we were going to be smart and have two defensemen for both units,” Ruff said. “So execution there wasn’t what we wanted.”

I call bullsh!t on that, maybe he fell asleep on the bench because anyone watching saw otherwise. 

On 12/2/2022 at 8:02 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I read this and some of the other posts and I wonder exactly what curve the Devils are being graded on now?  Players sometimes have off-games or make mistakes, and teams aren't always fully clicking...this was definitely a VERY up-and-down game, no one would dispute that, and sure, at times they looked a bit sloppy.  And I definitely get fans being emotional in the moment, especially when it felt like yet another victory was so firmly in the Devils' grasp...and of course, if your team is mired in a slump long enough that you've seen a bunch of crappy games and you know they're simply capable of better, that can make people snap too...doesn't apply here obvioulsy.

But overall, when a team wins 16 out of 18 games and banks 91.6% of the max number of points...is it so crazy to just give them a pass, instead of assuming that they're getting cocky or need to be grounded?  Or put another way...can a team (one that's still quite young no less) that's done an insane amount of winning this season just be allowed to lose a game?  The Devils now have a total of 5 losses (reg/OT/SO)...the team trailing them in the division by 8 points now has 11.  The Devils have yet to have any kind of real slump.  Since those two brutal losses to start their year, they're friggin' 19-2-1.  Did ANY of us even DREAM that the Devils could ever get a run like that this year?  Not me.

Not telling anyone how to fan because that's not my bag, we all root differently, some are more laid-back and forgiving and some hold their teams to very high standards and some are more emotional than others and some treat every single game as equally winnable entities even though we know that even the best teams often finish the season with at least 20 or so regulation losses.  Losses are going to happen...and last night still saw the Devils notch a point.

On to the Flyers...if there's ever a team to be ornery against, it's that one.  One win in their last 12 GP and they've been outscored 49-24.  Get the feeling the Devils come out angry for that one.    

I don’t think I’m harsh or grading them unfairly.  I’m just saying they had a bad loss,  they will learn from it and they will be better for it.  Is that so bad?  It’s not like I chanted fire Ruff prior to the second game of the season. 😉