GDT: 12/9/22 Devils v. Islanders, 7:00pm, MSGSN

mfitz804

i know there are soccer fans on this forum. i married a brazilian so we watched today intensely and I came away thinking “how could anyone actually enjoy this?”

brazil was more talented up and down the field. they dominated the entire game. when croatia got possession, they just passed it back and forth for….ever. At one point they mentioned on the broadcast that croatia held the ball for 11 consecutive minutes without even attempting to enter brazil’s side of the field. they clearly just played for PKs. 

how is that entertaining to legitimately anyone? not trying to say “you shouldn’t like soccer”, but I came away so confused how anyone who watches hockey can tolerate even 25 seconds of a soccer match. they just waited with the football on their foot for 90 minutes, they did get a nice goal as time was expiring but it came on literally their FIRST shot on goal, 120 minutes after the game started? and then the game gets decided by what could easily be accomplished by flipping a coin? 

time to go 4 more years without watching a millisecond of soccer, i guess. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mine was more of a big time drooler when she was teething.  But man the amount of drool...

I know that I've told you this before, but try to enjoy even the not-so-enjoyable sh!t.  It goes by so stupidly quick.  There's going to be times where as much as you love who your kid has become, you'll still have those days where you'll miss the simple, innocent child that your kid once was...the one who comes barreling towards you screaming "Daddy!  Daddy!  Daddy!" like you're the most awesome conquering hero ever to walk the Earth.  And when you want to "experience" of those oldern moments, you'll have to dial up the ol' memory bank to access one.  They'll still put a smile on your face, but of course it's quite another thing when those memories are actually being made.  

I did spend plenty of time with my daughter when she was a baby and an infant and a toddler...but even with that, I still wish that I'd lived "in the moment" more than I did at times.  It's so easy for your mind to drift to work sh!t, life sh!t, adult sh!t.  I so wish I'd done less of that at times.  Even now I can't manage that nearly as much as I'd like to.   

I have loved life with my daughter exactly this way. You’re lucky for the time you get to spend with them. I still feel that way. Always be in the moment. 

• Like 3

imagine watching a hockey game on ice that’s 40 times bigger and the weaker team just passes it around in their own zone for 60 minutes, knowing the only chance they had was to beat the better team in a shootout. 

i feel entitled to compensation for the last 2 hours of my life. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I have loved life with my daughter exactly this way. You’re lucky for the time you get to spend with them. I still feel that way. Always be in the moment. 

this is really sweet 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MB3 said:

i know there are soccer fans on this forum. i married a brazilian so we watched today intensely and I came away thinking “how could anyone actually enjoy this?”

brazil was more talented up and down the field. they dominated the entire game. when croatia got possession, they just passed it back and forth for….ever. At one point they mentioned on the broadcast that croatia held the ball for 11 consecutive minutes without even attempting to enter brazil’s side of the field. they clearly just played for PKs. 

how is that entertaining to legitimately anyone? not trying to say “you shouldn’t like soccer”, but I came away so confused how anyone who watches hockey can tolerate even 25 seconds of a soccer match. they just waited with the football on their foot for 90 minutes, they did get a nice goal as time was expiring but it came on literally their FIRST shot on goal, 120 minutes after the game started? and then the game gets decided by what could easily be accomplished by flipping a coin? 

This this, so much THIS.

Soccer is the ONLY major sport that I can think of where you can essentially decide to play a "non-game" and actually potentially get away with it.  It is SUCH a flawed sport, especially at the pro level.  Running clocks with extra time just added on?!  We know what sticklers we are for accurate timekeeping here, where game clocks are adjusted for even minute amounts of time added/subtracted.  

That being said, I think soccer's a great kids' game, for all ages.  First, it's more initially accessible than many other sports...you don't need to learn how to swing a bat, properly shoot a basketball or throw a baseball or football...soccer has more of a "for everyone" vibe, at least at first...the basics are pretty easy.  And it's lighter on the wallet, as far as laying out money for equipment goes.  To be clear, I fully get that lesser-skilled kids or ones who don't/can't progress or ones who can't grasp strategy will only last 2-3 seasons, maybe.  But I think other "major" sports are generally less forgiving, and more quickly...and that's why soccer will always enjoy some level popularity here, because it's definitely more inclusive.  

Soccer can actually be entertaining on the younger level, because kids aren't interested in playing "non-games"...there's no playing for penalty kicks.  There can legitimately be some fun back-and-forth action, and even some actual fvcking GOALS...imagine THAT!  You don't have so many games ending 1-0, or 0-0, or with a ton of draws.  My dad coached my brother's soccer teams from when my bro was seven years old right up until he began to play in high school...those teams were pretty fun at times, I admit it.  I feel like those games better represent what soccer is SUPPOSED to be. 

Pro soccer is a joke, from the complete lack of scoring chances (and the shots that somehow miss a net big enough to park a car in by a mile), to players writhing about on the ground anytime someone grazes them, and finally to the simple fact that a team can decide not to play a "real" game and the other team may not be able to do much about it.  Imagine any five Devils passing the puck around in their own zone to play keep-away.  That might last what?  20-30 seconds?   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Not every game is like that but that's a big part of how Croatia plays is their defense. First half of the game possession was more along 50/50 because Croatia's midfield is so good but they don't have the attackers up front. 

Brazil got cocky and thought they won after they scored. Neymar not taking their first penalty and letting that kid go instead was a bad choice. 

Also lol... 

Edited by Satans Hockey

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This this, so much THIS.

Soccer is the ONLY major sport that I can think of where you can essentially decide to play a "non-game" and actually potentially get away with it.  It is SUCH a flawed sport, especially at the pro level.  Running clocks with extra time just added on?!  We know what sticklers we are for accurate timekeeping here, where game clocks are adjusted for even minute amounts of time added/subtracted.  

That being said, I think soccer's a great kids' game, for all ages.  First, it's more initially accessible than many other sports...you don't need to learn how to swing a bat, properly shoot a basketball or throw a baseball or football...soccer has more of a "for everyone" vibe, at least at first...the basics are pretty easy.  And it's lighter on the wallet, as far as laying out money for equipment goes.  To be clear, I fully get that lesser-skilled kids or ones who don't/can't progress or ones who can't grasp strategy will only last 2-3 seasons, maybe.  But I think other "major" sports are generally less forgiving, and more quickly...and that's why soccer will always enjoy some level popularity here, because it's definitely more inclusive.  

Soccer can actually be entertaining on the younger level, because kids aren't interested in playing "non-games"...there's no playing for penalty kicks.  There can legitimately be some fun back-and-forth action, and even some actual fvcking GOALS...imagine THAT!  You don't have so many games ending 1-0, or 0-0, or with a ton of draws.  My dad coached my brother's soccer teams from when my bro was seven years old right up until he began to play in high school...those teams were pretty fun at times, I admit it.  I feel like those games better represent what soccer is SUPPOSED to be. 

Pro soccer is a joke, from the complete lack of scoring chances (and the shots that somehow miss a net big enough to park a car in by a mile), to players writhing about on the ground anytime someone grazes them, and finally to the simple fact that a team can decide not to play a "real" game and the other team may not be able to do much about it.  Imagine any five Devils passing the puck around in their own zone to play keep-away.  That might last what?  20-30 seconds?   

I'm not trying to convert anyone to soccer but I do think it's interesting when baseball fans complain about soccer being boring.

I'd rather slam my head against the wall than to ever have to attend a live baseball game and sit there for 3+ hours when the pitchers take their sweet ass time, scratch their balls, eat some seeds and do 5 different stupid routines that have absolutely 0 affect in the outcome of throwing a ball. 

I have no issue with the running clock, the extra time added is basically only time added on for injuries, var reviews or other bs like that. At least when you go to a game you know you're gonna be in and out in 2 hours. 

I hate divers but hockey had such a problem with embellishments at one point that they started fining guys. Blandisi from a few years ago got fined like 2x here with his awful diving. Players are gonna do whatever it takes to win if they can get away with it. 

51 minutes ago, MB3 said:

My commentary would be Kent Brockman’s

43 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm not trying to convert anyone to soccer but I do think it's interesting when baseball fans complain about soccer being boring.

I'd rather slam my head against the wall than to ever have to attend a live baseball game and sit there for 3+ hours when the pitchers take their sweet ass time, scratch their balls, eat some seeds and do 5 different stupid routines that have absolutely 0 affect in the outcome of throwing a ball. 

I have no issue with the running clock, the extra time added is basically only time added on for injuries, var reviews or other bs like that. At least when you go to a game you know you're gonna be in and out in 2 hours. 

I hate divers but hockey had such a problem with embellishments at one point that they started fining guys. Blandisi from a few years ago got fined like 2x here with his awful diving. Players are gonna do whatever it takes to win if they can get away with it. 

I'm with you, the current version of baseball can often not be a terribly compelling watch.  Too many Ks and it's well-chronicled that baseball has become a "low event" game...too many ABs ending with a walk, a dinger, or a K.  The Mets were actually kind of fun this year because they played a solid brand of smallball for much of the season (high BAs and a "keep the train moving" MO on the basepaths), but yeah, a lot of teams are a tough watch.  No arguments there. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Baseball is more boring than soccer by a hair to me (bunch of overpaid, overweight steroid users/cheaters standing around a diamond for 3 hours) , but let's not act like soccer players aren't some of the softest motherfckers on earth. 

Especially when compared to hockey players and football players.  I think if anything, there's times those players almost have to be saved from themselves.  

48 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

you posted 3 highlights over a decade. there’s triple that in a single match in soccer. rolling over in agony and praying that god saves them from the pure anguish of a guy being 3 feet away from them. 

soccer players are nearly universally bitches. comparing them to hockey players is laugh out loud stupid.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

In a baseball game at least you have the possibility for an exciting 7-6 game, there’s drama on every pitch in the playoffs. 

you called croatia’s effort today “defensive”. They had one shot on goal THE ENTIRE fvckING MATCH. that isn’t defense. that’s “haha i’m gonna play patty cake with the ball in my own zone for an entire game to try to take it to PKs.” the announcers even said “what a strategy!!!!”.

ive watched commercials that held my interest longer than this. and it’s supposed to be the best soccer has to offer, once every 4 years. 

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

In a baseball game at least you have the possibility for an exciting 7-6 game, there’s drama on every pitch in the playoffs. 

you called croatia’s effort today “defensive”. They had one shot on goal THE ENTIRE fvckING MATCH. that isn’t defense. that’s “haha i’m gonna play patty cake with the ball in my own zone for an entire game to try to take it to PKs.” the announcers even said “what a strategy!!!!”.

ive watched commercials that held my interest longer than this. and it’s supposed to be the best soccer has to offer, once every 4 years. 

Croatia was the better team for about the first 20 mins, their attackers simply aren't very good, different countries play different styles, Croatia would end up being compared to "boring Devils trap hockey" If you browse any soccer reddit you'll see a ton of people bitching and moaning about how Croatia played. 

It's not pretty soccer by any means but it works for them and they keep on winning. Brazil, Argentina, Portugal play a much more prettier, offensive game but sometimes when a team is really good at parking the bus defensively it makes it hard to break through offensively.

Brazil got super cocky when they went up 1-0 and figured the game was done, guys stopped running back when Croatia was countering and it came back to bite them. 

14 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's not pretty soccer by any means but it works for them and they keep on winning.

I'm not arguing whether or not it's successful. Obviously the gameplan of "let's take literally zero shots on net and not even try to score because we can probably beat them in the coin flip" worked. I'm arguing that I'd rather watch my fat neighbor get a tan for 2 hours than watch another soccer match lol. 

EDIT: and the Devils comparison is lame. The Devils played a stifling defense that was high energy and high intensity. If the Devils just passed the puck back and forth for 55 minutes I'd get it. 

Edited by MB3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

I try and not be "that guy" who just whines while watching soccer but.. holy sh!t was that boring.

That's the pinnacle of the sport?