GDT: 12/20/2022 Devils @ Hurricanes 7:00PM EST

MB3

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I never said they aren't important. I'm saying if all the Devils success and the whole "all 4 lines' sh!t we heard for weeks all hinged on Bastian then the team wasn't as good as we thought from the start.

I think missing Bastian is a big factor right now, but obviously not the only one. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly. His absence should not have hamstrung the entire team. 

For the record, I don’t think it did and suspect that was more likely a coincidence. 

Certainly feels like that’s when the power play went to sh!t. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I think missing Bastian is a big factor right now, but obviously not the only one. 

I am the one earlier in the season that said that this was the best 4th line since 2012 but I don't agree. The biggest factor right now is aside from Jack, our best players are not our best players and the alright players aren't even alright. They all look like absolute sh!t. Nathian Bastian has nothing to do with all the guys I could name, that you already know, that have completely disappeared, the team looking like they are skating in a fun Sunday afternoon free-skate down at the park, and firing 80% of their shots from way outside the slot right into the crest.

Would you have thought after 2012 the Devils would win one more playoff game in probably the next 20 or so years?  Franchise is beyond fvcking doomed, they’ve become the Mets of the nhl.  Completely convinced just nothing can help them anymore.  After Brodeur all they’ll ever have is suffering for all eternity, great fvcking franchise.

16 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I think things will improve when Palat and Bastian return.

If they were scoring on average at least once out of 5-6 chances they had over the past few games, this wouldn't have been a losing streak. I can't explain why they can't find the back of the net, but I can't blame them for not trying.

3 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

If they were scoring on average at least once out of 5-6 chances they had over the past few games, this wouldn't have been a losing streak. I can't explain why they can't find the back of the net, but I can't blame them for not trying.

they take 35 shots a game from sh!t angles and they haven’t been getting lucky. the emptiest stat in the world is this team’s shots per game. I’ve never seen a team so satisfied with throwing cupcakes to the goalie’s chest.

• Like 2

Just now, MB3 said:

they take 35 shots a game from sh!t angles and they haven’t been getting lucky. the emptiest stat in the world is this team’s shots per game. I’ve never seen a team so satisfied with throwing cupcakes to the goalie’s chest.

Yes, but even tonight's game would've been close and possibly brought at least a point if Tatar and Bratt put it home. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devs64 said:

It happens, but they have certainly improved with the possession game in the last two and they also improved in HDC.  They will have to keep at it and the goals will come.  It won’t be long before the Bruins go through their own adversity.  It may even happen in the playoffs.  I think they have the same issue as the Devils, they are both to small and soft up front and I think they miss Bastian more than Palat.  Bastian can hit play net front and solidified the 4th line.  Palat was a nice pick up, although expensive, he isn’t necessarily a power forward which is really lacking in the top 6.

I there any update on Bastian?

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

The shot chart doesn’t agree with the first part of your post.  The chart shows how many shots directly in front of the net?  Now, are the shots cupcakes to the chest?  Yes but that doesn’t mean they didn’t have some great chances.  MTD they are shooting at only 6.52%. They are still top 6 or better in all possession metrics.

82E2AE0A-7FDC-460C-99F6-633E29447F0B.jpeg

A six game downward spiral after winning pretty much from the start of the season raises a few red flags for me:

1.  The team has now been "figured out" by opponents that once took the NJD lightly, now they show up to play against us, and all our tricks aren't tricks anymore.

2.  There are some serious issues in the locker room - both with coaching and with the players.  No hunger, no fight...

3.  Unlucky

I'm hoping it's the 3rd, but good teams create luck, and it appears that we've run very short on that as of late, which would indicate we aren't all that good after all.

Yogi used to say it..."A slump is like a soft bed, easy to get into, hard to get out of."

• Like 1