GDT - Devils vs Bruins 12/23/22 7:00pm MSGSN2

NJDfan1711

7 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

This seems incredibly knee-jerk.  I mean, how are you going to get any confidence in your goalies if you're constantly putting them on a short leash?  These guys are gonna be so gun-shy it's not even funny.  fvck Ruff.  

We are here to win Hockey games. Not rebuild Blackwood's career. If he isn't up for the task then he shouldn't play.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

We are here to win Hockey games. Not rebuild Blackwood's career. If he isn't up for the task then he shouldn't play.

Yeah if Blackwood had a better overall track record, I would get the Devils more or less forcing him to get playing time, even if it came at someone else’s expense (in this case, Schmid).  But I’m far from convinced that Blackwood‘s top end will ever be anything beyond average and inconsistent.  This season I’m interested in putting in the goalies that give the Devils the best chance to win…or at least the Devils putting their goalies in the best position to succeed.  Throwing a recovering Blackwood into a game against the NHL’s best team doesn’t really fit that bill.

That being said, I get that Blackwood has to get playing time at some point, but I’d rather see him get it against weaker opponents.  I know that VV has hit a rough patch lately but I would’ve rather seen him get last night’s game.  At times it feels like the Devils are almost too eager to try to make Blackwood happen (when he’s actually healthy).  I just don’t see it with him anymore, but at least after this season, that should be that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah if Blackwood had a better overall track record, I would get the Devils more or less forcing him to get playing time, even if it came at someone else’s expense (in this case, Schmid).  But I’m far from convinced that Blackwood‘s top end will ever be anything beyond average and inconsistent.  This season I’m interested in putting in the goalies that give the Devils the best chance to win…or at least the Devils putting their goalies in the best position to succeed.  Throwing a recovering Blackwood into a game against the NHL’s best team doesn’t really fit that bill.

That being said, I get that Blackwood has to get playing time at some point, but I’d rather see him get it against weaker opponents.  I know that VV has hit a rough patch lately but I would’ve rather seen him get last night’s game.  At times it feels like the Devils are almost too eager to try to make Blackwood happen (when he’s actually healthy).  I just don’t see it with him anymore, but at least after this season, that should be that.

Because they are lol...there was an article in the middle of Vanecek's hot streak somewhere where Marty admitted they considered Blackwood the 1A going into the season, this despite giving up two picks and signing Vanecek to a three-year deal in the offseason.  For some reason I guess they still feel he has the higher 'upside', or maybe it's just homegrown bias.  But the fact the dude always gets hurt AND he hasn't been very consistent makes me wonder what the hell is the real reason they're bending over backwards to give him opportunities, are they coddling him after some of the ugliness behind the scenes last year?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think it’s easy to say Vanecek should have started against Boston in hindsight, but Vanecek has been cold and Mac was coming off a strong game against Florida. It was the logical choice, but Blackwood gonna Blackwood. 

As for Schmid, he’s 22. He’ll get his chances. He’s probably already penciled himself in as next years backup or sooner if they unload Blackwood before then. The team is still at like a 94% chance to make the playoffs, so I don’t think management or coaches are panicking. It’s a young team going through growing pains, and slumps will happen. Palat should be back shortly so hopefully that brings stability to the forward lines and then we just need to hope Marino is back before Severson entirely tanks his trade value

• Like 2

It’s also possible they gave Blackwood the start last night as more of a sacrificial lamb given that we were playing the top team in the league without two of our top D.  I know it’s not how the game played out but going into the game they may have thought there was a real chance of getting absolutely caved in with Smith, Severson and two rookies all playing.   May as well have Blackwood take the beating and protect the other two.  

I’m pretty sure they see Vanacek and Schmid as the future just like everyone else.   After what we saw last night in terms of the team more than holding their own,  it will be more telling who gets the start on Wednesday.  

34 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Because they are lol...there was an article in the middle of Vanecek's hot streak somewhere where Marty admitted they considered Blackwood the 1A going into the season, this despite giving up two picks and signing Vanecek to a three-year deal in the offseason.  For some reason I guess they still feel he has the higher 'upside', or maybe it's just homegrown bias.  But the fact the dude always gets hurt AND he hasn't been very consistent makes me wonder what the hell is the real reason they're bending over backwards to give him opportunities, are they coddling him after some of the ugliness behind the scenes last year?

If that’s what the thinking was going into the season, OK, but things have changed…VV has at least shown that he can go on nice runs, and Schmid has emerged as a potentially solid backup option.  It really should be one of those deals where it’s “Sorry Mac, but while you were out for a while (yet again), VV put together a fine stretch, and Schmid played quite well himself.  Right now we need to win games, and they are currently the ones who give us the best chance to win. You’re going to have to force your way into getting significant playing time.”

re:  Vanecek, his salary is low enough that he’s a bargain-priced #1 or a not unreasonably paid backup.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think it’s easy to say Vanecek should have started against Boston in hindsight, but Vanecek has been cold and Mac was coming off a strong game against Florida. It was the logical choice, but Blackwood gonna Blackwood. 

As for Schmid, he’s 22. He’ll get his chances. He’s probably already penciled himself in as next years backup or sooner if they unload Blackwood before then. The team is still at like a 94% chance to make the playoffs, so I don’t think management or coaches are panicking. It’s a young team going through growing pains, and slumps will happen. Palat should be back shortly so hopefully that brings stability to the forward lines and then we just need to hope Marino is back before Severson entirely tanks his trade value

It’s not really a hindsight thing…more knowing that Blackwood is too inconsistent to get excited about anymore when he has a good start.  I would’ve rather have seen VV get the start as a “OK, you’ve had some rough ones lately, but we like what we saw before, here’s another shot!”  Not saying that it would’ve led to a win, just that I would’ve preferred VV get that particular game over Mac.

Or another way to put it…if VV had gotten the start and struggled, I wouldn’t have said “How could they not go to Blackwood again?!”  Blackwood’s track record is why I would’ve understood why they didn’t go to Blackwood again.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It’s not really a hindsight thing…more knowing that Blackwood is too inconsistent to get excited about anymore when he has a good start.  I would’ve rather have seen VV get the start as a “OK, you’ve had some rough ones lately, but we like what we saw before, here’s another shot!”  Not saying that it would’ve led to a win, just that I would’ve preferred VV get that particular game over Mac.

Or another way to put it…if VV had gotten the start and struggled, I wouldn’t have said “How could they not go to Blackwood again?!”  Blackwood’s track record is why I would’ve understood why they didn’t go to Blackwood again.  

Vanecek will most certainly get the next start, and then I’d personally leave him in for the Pittsburgh game. That being said, it’s pretty clear the defense is not playing like they did during the streak. Lindy and company need to make some adjustments and Severson is just useless. It was one thing when he was bringing offense but he’s not even doing that much anymore

Yeah I suspect just about every last Seves defender has left the building.  Can’t imagine he’s here past this season.

9 hours ago, nessus said:

This is what I don't understand. Schmid earned the job, so why does Blackwood keep getting opportunities? To me, Blackwood represented hope when we had not much else in the system. But now that there is a better option, I don't think Blackwood has done much to prove he's the guy. Plenty of goalies have stretches of good play, and it doesn't earn them endless opportunities once the good play stops.

Because there is nothing else to do with him. He’s here, he isn't injured, you don’t want to give him away for free (so far), you can’t put him in the AHL without risking losing him on waivers. 

As much as the knee jerk fan reaction is “I don’t care, just get rid of him”, actual GM’s focus on asset management and know that it’s a stupid idea. 

• Like 1

Finally.... starting to wake up..

The defense as a whole was bad in tbe second, but his second goal was a direct result of him poorly playing the puck.  

Just package him with someone and ship him off.  Let vv and schmeid run the rest of the season.  

Vv may not be the answer long term, but he's played well enough to earn a fair shot at it.

Screenshot_20221224_124348_Twitter.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

Just package him with someone and ship him off.  Let vv and schmeid run the rest of the season.  

We had seven goalies start a game last year.   Even if he’s clearly our third best option, why are we so desperate to ship him off?   

No one is arguing that Blackwood is more deserving of time than Schmid or VV, but moving Schmid to Utica is the temporary solution while all three are healthy.   

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

We had seven goalies start a game last year.   Even if he’s clearly our third best option, why are we so desperate to ship him off?   

No one is arguing that Blackwood is more deserving of time than Schmid or VV, but moving Schmid to Utica is the temporary solution while all three are healthy.   

“We” the team aren’t; some of the fans are, because they’re short-sighted and don’t understand how things work. 

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I’m definitely NOT in the “ship him off for little return” crowd…given a choice between Daws and Mac, should something happen to VV or Schmid, I’d probably have to pick Mac…I still think he’s gotta be kept around as insurance.  Doesn’t mean I believe in him, as much as I realize that I can’t really make a case for Daws (much as I would like to).

I definitely would rather Mac not start against the Bruins though, especially if he’s still trying to settle in…but what’s done is done.  

I was all for starting Blackwood against the Bruins since he was so good against the Panthers. I’m just tired of his maddening inconsistency. Dude just never seems to be able to string multiple good starts together. No way we would have gone on that 13 game heater with him in the lineup. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I was all for starting Blackwood against the Bruins since he was so good against the Panthers. I’m just tired of his maddening inconsistency. Dude just never seems to be able to string multiple good starts together. No way we would have gone on that 13 game heater with him in the lineup. 

It’s exactly his maddening inconsistency that had me concerned how he would fare against the Bruins…along with having been out for a while.  He just seems destined to disappoint.  

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Players can/will be streaky.  But not a goaltender. Plays decent against Fla. Sh>ts the bed in 2nd period.  Gets pulled. Sadly, I doubt he'll bring anything back in a trade. 

• Like 1