Reverse Retros vs. the Rangers?!!!

Rock

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

It’s also funny to me to see Rags fans (and their broadcast) try and convince themselves Kakko is actually one of their best players. Idc how good defensively he is, a #2OA winger who has 76 points in 198 GP (.38 PPG) has to be seen as trending towards bust territory. At the very least a massive disappointment. 

For comparison’s sake our highly drafted defensive forward - that does actually catch a decent amount of flak from fans -is currently at (.71 PPG). 

Lol... 

• Haha 6

19 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

I can’t believe we are back to fire Ruff.  How many times will you people apologize to the man.  Now, I’m not saying he is the best there is, but they are second in the division and now 3-1-1 in the last four.  Where they need to improve is the PP, Get Marino and Bastian back.  Then, hopefully, Fitzy gets us a winger that can score by the deadline.

As far as this goes, Ruff deserves to be on a very short leash, and obviously the Devils agree to some extent; otherwise Fitz doesn’t hire a ready-made replacement in Brunette.  Ruff is an aging retread who hasn’t won anything and only has as many wins as he does because Buffalo hung onto him for much longer than they should have.  If not for the Devils, does he ever get another head coaching gig?  Once he’s inevitably cast aside for Brunette, do you think gets another shot elsewhere?

Don’t forget that the Ranger fans were damn near fallating the Devils for taking Ruff off their hands.

I just don’t know how much he actually brings to the table, and that’s why I’d love to see Brunette just get promoted to HC in actual name already, and then I’d like to see Brunette and Fitz pick a top-notch assistant.  I feel any success the Devils have enjoyed this season is more in spite of Ruff than because of him…he feels like a weak link.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

Kane would be fantastic, but they would likely want Luke or first round pick, so not a good deal.

I’ve read that a Holtz, first and second could work, but who knows.  Is that too much?  Maybe he sticks around for a reasonable deal for 3 or 4 years.  I don’t know, just throwing it out there.

4 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I’ve read that a Holtz, first and second could work, but who knows.  Is that too much?  Maybe he sticks around for a reasonable deal for 3 or 4 years.  I don’t know, just throwing it out there.

where did you read that lol. 

it’s simultaneously likely not enough for chicago, and far too much for New Jersey. miss me with a half season rental. 

10 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

If Fitz is at all interested in Kane, I’d rather he just wait until the offseason, where he can sign him and only have to give up money to do it.  Not saying those assets are untouchable, just that I’m not sure I want to give them up for Kane, who might be on the decline.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as this goes, Ruff deserves to be on a very short leash, and obviously the Devils agree to some extent; otherwise Fitz doesn’t hire a ready-made replacement in Brunette.  Ruff is an aging retread who hasn’t won anything and only has as many wins as he does because Buffalo hung onto him for much longer than they should have.  If not for the Devils, does he ever get another head coaching gig?  Once he’s inevitably cast aside for Brunette, do you think gets another shot elsewhere?

Don’t forget that the Ranger fans were damn near fallating the Devils for taking Ruff off their hands.

I just don’t know how much he actually brings to the table, and that’s why I’d love to see Brunette just get promoted to HC in actual name already, and then I’d like to see Brunette and Fitz pick a top-notch assistant.  I feel any success the Devils have enjoyed this season is more in spite of Ruff than because of him…he feels like a weak link.  

So he coaches through two covid seasons, with two inept assistants and a team that was and to some degree still building and he is on a short leash?  We will have to disagree and that’s fine.  Also, his tenure as coach of the Sabers was mired with great teams they couldn’t overcome and kind of mirrors the Leafs.  Someone had to lose and it was the Sabers.  As far as, Brunette, why do you give so much credit to him? Isn’t he in charge of getting the PP going?  It’s worse than last year.  I think the weak link is the roster as a whole.  There is not enough grit and size.  And, where there is suppose to be grit and size, the talent isn’t there, i.e. Smith.

Just look at the Vesey goal.  It’s apparent that the Devils want to play the transition game and our D plays the puck with their sticks rather than the body.  This is what Smith attempts and fails miserably.  It happens every game.  If he played the body, and in the old days Stevens would have knocked Vesey in to next week, there would be no goal and Okhutiuk recovers the puck.  Sometimes, the basics still work.

https://www.nhl.com/video/vesey-nets-opening-goal/t-336298990/c-14592049

1 minute ago, Puckbuster said:

So he coaches through two covid seasons, with two inept assistants and a team that was and to some degree still building and he is on a short leash?  We will have to disagree and that’s fine.  Also, his tenure as coach of the Sabers was mired with great teams they couldn’t overcome and kind of mirrors the Leafs.  Someone had to lose and it was the Sabers.  As far as, Brunette, why do you give so much credit to him? Isn’t he in charge of getting the PP going?  It’s worse than last year.  I think the weak link is the roster as a whole.  There is not enough grit and size.  And, where there is suppose to be grit and size, the talent isn’t there, i.e. Smith.

Just look at the Vesey goal.  It’s apparent that the Devils want to play the transition game and our D plays the puck with their sticks rather than the body.  This is what Smith attempts and fails miserably.  It happens every game.  If he played the body, and in the old days Stevens would have knocked Vesey in to next week, there would be no goal and Okhutiuk recovers the puck.  Sometimes, the basics still work.

https://www.nhl.com/video/vesey-nets-opening-goal/t-336298990/c-14592049

This year’s power play:  20.63%
Last year’s power play:  15.56%

Explain to me how that’s worse?

Also, why did the Devils hire a guy who was not only a head coach for most of last season, but was given the title of “Associate Coach” as opposed to “Assistant Coach”?  You really think if the Devils’ potential playoff berth is in jeopardy, that Fitz won’t think about a HC change?  

26 minutes ago, MB3 said:

hahahaha it’s a famous copypasta from the yankees subreddit about greg bird / luke voit. unfortunately not me. 

Hmm, well you are a Yankees fan, and you knew which players it was written about…seems suspect lol. 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, MB3 said:

where did you read that lol. 

it’s simultaneously likely not enough for chicago, and far too much for New Jersey. miss me with a half season rental. 

It was about 5 weeks ago.  And sorry, it’s Holtz, first and fifth.

Then in December.

that’s where lol.  You don’t have to be a douche.

478335B4-9A26-4302-975D-9ACFD14DD5CA.png

72BF6A13-121E-465D-8306-EB502FB8A94B.png

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Also, why did the Devils hire a guy who was not only a head coach for most of last season, but was given the title of “Associate Coach” as opposed to “Assistant Coach”?  You really think if the Devils’ potential playoff berth is in jeopardy, that Fitz won’t think about a HC change?  

Ok, so it’s the same.  It still sucks is the point.

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Fitz is at all interested in Kane, I’d rather he just wait until the offseason, where he can sign him and only have to give up money to do it.  Not saying those assets are untouchable, just that I’m not sure I want to give them up for Kane, who might be on the decline.

That’s just it, though.  Is he in decline or just on a really bad team.  Also, is Holtz the future or not.  That’s why I’m just throwing it out there.  

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yes, Brunette will be the next HC.  If they don’t make the playoff, definitely.  Agreed.  Just saying, the year isn’t half way done.  They are second in the division and again we are talking to fire the guy.  But, let’s not ignore that the PP sucks and Brunette was supposed to turn it around.

8 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

That’s just it, though.  Is he in decline or just on a really bad team.  Also, is Holtz the future or not.  That’s why I’m just throwing it out there.  

I don’t know if Holtz is the future, but I want to see what happens with him. Not sure if I’m willing to give up on him for Patrick Kane for a couple of months and probably still an early playoff exit. 

@PuckbusterHow is a power play that is now clicking at 20.63% and ranked 21st “the same” as a power play that clicked at 15.56% and was ranked 28th?  Does that make any sense at all?

re:  Kane, I posted “might” be on the decline.  I don’t know for sure, but I’d rather not risk tradeable assets on him…I can wait to sign him and still have those pieces to either keep or use for someone with prime years left.  This year has largely been fun but don’t think they’re a legit Cup contender just yet.  I don’t think this is the time to make a costly “all in” kind of trade.

I really think it's time to give Palat-Hughes-Holtz a try again. Palat is an upgrade in every way over Haula, other than faceoffs. Holtz can be the finisher that Jack needs. Holtz hasn't been amazing lately, but definitely better than he was earlier in the season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@PuckbusterHow is a power play that is now clicking at 20.63% and ranked 21st “the same” as a power play that clicked at 15.56% and was ranked 28th?  Does that make any sense at all?

It’s a slight improvement, as the numbers indicate. Certainly still not good and nothing to write home about. 

26 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Yes, Brunette will be the next HC.  If they don’t make the playoff, definitely.  Agreed.  Just saying, the year isn’t half way done.  They are second in the division and again we are talking to fire the guy.  But, let’s not ignore that the PP sucks and Brunette was supposed to turn it around.

Year isn’t halfway done but losing a whole of home games and showing signs of going off the rails has to warm Ruff’s seat up.  They are showing signs of stabilizing for now…let’s hope that continues.

The power play isn’t great (that’s not what I was trying to suggest) but at least it’s no longer worthless, as it was under Recchi, and it has gotten better, as the numbers show…it is absolutely not “the same”.  We’ll see if it can continue to improve as the season goes on.  I’d like to see it get to league average.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The power play feels like it’s been much better lately. It was pretty much Jack scores or no one does for a while, but Dougie has been getting his shot through a lot all of a sudden. And Nico is as good as anyone in the league at getting tips. 

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The power play feels like it’s been much better lately. It was pretty much Jack scores or no one does for a while, but Dougie has been getting his shot through a lot all of a sudden. And Nico is as good as anyone in the league at getting tips. 

They’re converting at a 22.2% rate over their last 15 GP…league average is currently 22.5%.  Not going to say that the Devils’ power play feels like some formidable unit by any stretch, but at least it’s headed in the right direction.