The Unintended GDT 1/10/23 Devs @ Canes 7:00 PM EST ESPN+ Hulu

Rock

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

Missed this reply last night but the timing of this article on SBNation today couldn’t have been better. 

TLDR; Sharangovich ranks 6th (out of 6) in goals against % of Devils who play regularly on the penalty kill. So, basically exactly what you said, but unironically.

“…when Sharangovich is killing a penalty, the opposition’s power play is performing better and scoring more goals compared with other Devils forwards. These numbers suggest that Sharangovich should not be averaging over two minutes per game on a PK. If anything, they suggest that he really should not be on a penalty kill. The stats were relatively OK in 2021 but he was among the worst among qualified Devils forwards since then. From attempts allowed to expected goals to high-danger chances allowed to actual goals, Sharangovich is seeing the most against compared with Nico Hischier, Mercer, McLeod, Haula, and Nathan Bastian - who is currently injured. This is not good. And it is not as if Sharangovich’s shorthanded on-ice rate stats rank well among forwards in the NHL. I feel confident in stating that Sharangovich may not be so good at killing penalties.

I understand that the Devils’ penalty kill is quite successful as a team relative to the NHL this season. I cannot agree that Sharangovich is all that good at killing penalties. The data in the chart supports that. To that end, it confuses me that Sharangovich plays regularly on the PK, much less that he has received more time on it compared with last season.”

Interesting. Still not ready to see him in the press box though. Or make him whipping boy #1. He’ll have a nice run soon where he scores like 5 goals in a 10 games. And as bad as his slump has been he’s still tied with Mercer for 4th on the team in goals. I just can’t give up on that kind of goal scoring potential (especially on this team) so easily. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Interesting. Still not ready to see him in the press box though. Or make him whipping boy #1. He’ll have a nice run soon where he scores like 5 goals in a 10 games. And as bad as his slump has been he’s still tied with Mercer for 4th on the team in goals. I just can’t give up on that kind of goal scoring potential (especially on this team) so easily. 

Yup. When the 4th highest guy on your team has 10 goals in 41 games, that’s not where you start cutting, especially when he’s cost effective. 

We’re getting the production of a $2m player. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup. When the 4th highest guy on your team has 10 goals in 41 games, that’s not where you start cutting, especially when he’s cost effective. 

We’re getting the production of a $2m player. 

Here’s what you’re both missing…Sharangovich may simply not be much of a goal scorer anymore.  Some guys are flashes who never again duplicate prior runs…see Andreas Johnsson’s burst within his second season.

I think we’d all agree that to score goals, you need to register shots on goal…even when Palms would go into one of his droughts during his prime years here, that’s something he was ALWAYS able to do…and eventually, he’d start finding the net again, mostly by more or less shooting his way out of a funk.

Sharangovich looks invisible most games lately because he’s NOT generating shots in goal.  He’s been held to one shot or less in 12 out of his last 18 games…and if the Devils had more faith in him, they’d give him more opportunities to work through this and snap out of it…but instead, they’re cutting his ice time.  The coaches themselves appear to be losing confidence in him to the point where they’re close to giving up on him being a reliable secondary scoring source candidate, on a team that is trying to establish consistent secondary scoring.

Now, can a player play his way back into his coaches’ good graces?  Sure, not like that’s NEVER happened.  I just wish there were a lot more signs that pointed to Yegor looking like he was primed to bust out of this thing and ready to go on a burst (win win for everyone), but I just don’t see it at all.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Here’s what you’re both missing…Sharangovich may simply not be much of a goal scorer anymore.  Some guys are flashes who never again duplicate prior runs…see Andreas Johnsson’s burst within his second season.

I think we’d all agree that to score goals, you need to register shots on goal…even when Palms would go into one of his droughts during his prime years here, that’s something he was ALWAYS able to do…and eventually, he’d start finding the net again, mostly by more or less shooting his way out of a funk.

Sharangovich looks invisible most games lately because he’s NOT generating shots in goal.  He’s been held to one shot or less in 12 out of his last 18 games…and if the Devils had more faith in him, they’d give him more opportunities to work through this and snap out of it…but instead, they’re cutting his ice time.  The coaches themselves appear to be losing confidence in him to the point where they’re close to giving up on him being s reliable secondary scoring source candidate, on a team that is trying to establish consistent secondary scoring.

Now, can a player play his way back into his coaches’ good graces?  Sure, not like that’s NEVER happened.  I just wish there were a lot more signs that pointed to Yegor looking like he was primed to bust out of this thing and ready to go on a burst (win win for everyone), but I just don’t see it at all.  

I just find it interesting that it took like 2 years for people to agree with me about Zacha, and folks have turned on Yegor after half a season. 

But I don’t think I’m “missing” anything, the guy has been extremely streaky several times before in his young career.

You can’t judge a guy like that based on an 18 game run, especially when like half of that run the team played like absolute dog sh!t. I mean honestly, we were losing all of those games but you expected Yegor Sharangovich to be lighting it up? Nobody on the team that is not in @Nicomo‘s wet dreams was. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I just find it interesting that it took like 2 years for people to agree with me about Zacha, and folks have turned on Yegor after half a season. 

But I don’t think I’m “missing” anything, the guy has been extremely streaky several times before in his young career.

You can’t judge a guy like that based on an 18 game run, especially when like half of that run the team played like absolute dog sh!t. I mean honestly, we were losing all of those games but you expected Yegor Sharangovich to be lighting it up? Nobody on the team that is not in @Nicomo‘s wet dreams was. 

I’ve already stated my case…his shots on goal are drying up (part of it’s due to less ice time, gotta be fair there, but he’s been very quiet in general), and his coaches aren’t giving him the opportunity to fight his way through it.

Light it up?  Not necessarily…he never scored SO much that he can’t be expected to run hot and cold.  But to at least be able to get some shots on goal and least have me thinking, “Ok, those have gotta start going in for him at some point”?  That I would expect from him.

Agree to disagree on this one.

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I think the real lesson here is don’t have kids. :P

It seems like that’s when he went MIA. 

Hell if his kid’s not sleeping through the night and mom and dad are up with him a lot…sure, could be that’s not helping.

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hell if his kid’s not sleeping through the night and mom and dad are up with him a lot…sure, could be that’s not helping.

I got so much sh!t done when my daughter was born. I’d be doing laundry and home repairs at like 1am just because I was awake. 

I didn’t have to play hockey, though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I got so much sh!t done when my daughter was born. I’d be doing laundry and home repairs at like 1am just because I was awake. 

I didn’t have to play hockey, though. 

My daughter was mostly a good sleeper…but yeah, absolutely had my share of bleary-eyed “huh wha?” drives into work.  Seems like so long ago…and yet it doesn’t.

So at a cursory look at Sharangovich’s goal logs, it seems like he only produces when he’s getting top-6 ice time with top-6 players. And while it’s fair to say “uh, duh?” to that, it’s also a chicken-or-egg situation. 

Is Sharangovich a “productive winger” because he belongs in the top-6? Or does he just ride the coattails of better players and inflate his numbers because he has a borderline generational talent on his line?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My daughter was mostly a good sleeper…but yeah, absolutely had my share of bleary-eyed “huh wha?” drives into work.  Seems like so long ago…and yet it doesn’t.

Mine was too, I could probably count on one hand the number of times she woke us up during the night. She still sleeps like that, hits the bed and in 2 minutes, out like a light. 

But, she would wake up for that midnight feeding like clockwork. And my wife is the early bird, so I always just stayed up late. And then sometimes I wouldn’t fall asleep. 

Ridiculous as it sounds, I was getting like 2-3 hours of sleep a night while my wife and the baby were out cold lol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

So at a cursory look at Sharangovich’s goal logs, it seems like he only produces when he’s getting top-6 ice time with top-6 players. And while it’s fair to say “uh, duh?” to that, it’s also a chicken-or-egg situation. 

Is Sharangovich a “productive winger” because he belongs in the top-6? Or does he just ride the coattails of better players and inflate his numbers because he has a borderline generational talent on his line?

Honestly, that’s what a borderline generational talent is supposed to do. Which is why you know Haula sucks donkey balls, because Jack’s contribution only raises his level from donkey balls to human balls. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Honestly, that’s what a borderline generational talent is supposed to do. Which is why you know Haula sucks donkey balls, because Jack’s contribution only raises his level from donkey balls to human balls. 

definitely, I couldn’t agree more. so that begs the question: what is Sharangovich providing? If it’s nothing past being Jack’s passenger, that’s not much of a ringing endorsement.

Just now, MB3 said:

definitely, I couldn’t agree more. so that begs the question: what is Sharangovich providing? If it’s nothing past being Jack’s passenger, that’s not much of a ringing endorsement.

If he provides scoring while playing with Jack, then he is providing scoring. You can say that’s just because he’s Jack’s passenger, if not for Haula literally being his passenger for most of the season and not providing scoring. 

If he provides scoring while playing with Jack, then he is providing scoring. You can say that’s just because he’s Jack’s passenger, if not for Haula literally being his passenger for most of the season and not providing scoring. 

fair point. I just think the devils should be supplementing jack with non passengers, rather than asking him to carry two dead loads for an entire season.

Well, that’s a given. 

so that’s where I struggle. If sharangovich is really only a productive player in the top-6, and we attempt to add a top-6 player, where does he fit? 

he’s not a checking forward. he’s not a defensive forward. he doesn’t bring snarl, he doesn’t fight, he doesn’t forecheck. there’s absolutely no sandpaper in his game.

if the devils make the additions we both want, does Shango fit on this hockey club?

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

so that’s where I struggle. If sharangovich is really only a productive player in the top-6, and we attempt to add a top-6 player, where does he fit? 

he’s not a checking forward. he’s not a defensive forward. he doesn’t bring snarl, he doesn’t fight, he doesn’t forecheck. there’s absolutely no sandpaper in his game.

if the devils make the additions we both want, does Shango fit on this hockey club?

No, probably not. But whether they do or not remains to be seen. If they do, sure, he can go fvck off. If you are still running Jesper fvcking Boqvist out there, you cannot afford to give up your 4th best goal scorer, regardless of how he gets them. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No, probably not. But whether they do or not remains to be seen. If they do, sure, he can go fvck off. If you are still running Jesper fvcking Boqvist out there, you cannot afford to give up your 4th best goal scorer, regardless of how he gets them. 

For my money, Jesper Boqvist is a better bottom-6 forward than sharangovich. In effort and in defensive ability. 

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

For my money, Jesper Boqvist is a better bottom-6 forward than sharangovich. In effort and in defensive ability. 

I could not disagree more. Boqvist is a throwback to the time period where we had a roster fulfill of guys that couldn’t make any other NHL team. He belongs in the AHL or Europe. 

Edited by mfitz804

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I could not disagree more. Boqvist is a throwback to the time period where we had a roster fulfill of guys that couldn’t make any other NHL team. He belongs in the AHL or Europe. 

boqvist is capable at creating for himself. the goal he scored yesterday isn’t something sharangovich has ever done. he didn’t rely on a perfect pass from a budding superstar to score a goal; he went hard to the net and scored.

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

boqvist is capable at creating for himself. the goal he scored yesterday isn’t something sharangovich has ever done. he didn’t rely on a perfect pass from a budding superstar to score a goal; he went hard to the net and scored.

That’s absolute nonsense. You’ve never seen Sharangovich create his own goal not one time? That time he had a Hat trick, that had nothing to do with him?

On 1/10/2023 at 10:17 PM, NJDevils1214 said:

Until NJ beats them in a playoff series in heartbreaking fashion, the debt is not repaid.

100% agree. Preferably in a game 7 comeback where we score 2 goals in less than 1:20 to win 4-3? 

It would be pretty....pretty sweet to spoil this teams year where it's looking like it could be their year.