Mid-Season Poll: Will Hughes be first Devil to reach 100-points this season ?

BlueSkirt

Mid-Season Poll: Will Hughes be first Devil to reach 100-points this season ?   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Mid-Season Poll: Will Hughes be first Devil to reach 100-points this season ?

• Yes, he's getting better every game & the sky is the limit this season
    • Maybe, because points are traditionally harder to get in 2nd half of the season
    • Nope, he's never yet played an 82-game schedule & won't keep the same pace this season

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2023 at 04:59 AM

I posted this elsewhere but he actually has exactly 100 points in his last 82 NHL games (49 G and 51 A).  I think he gets it done…also think he scores 50 this year.

• Like 3

I guess another burning question…what season will it be before Lafailiere and Kakko-Doody-Dookie can dream of combining for 100 points?  This year they’re at 36 and counting…heh heh.

39 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I guess another burning question…what season will it be before Lafailiere and Kakko-Doody-Dookie can dream of combining for 100 points?  This year they’re at 36 and counting…heh heh.

Remember how Lafreniere was supposed to be can’t miss, more so than Jack? Some of our fans were legitimately pissed that we had the first pick Jack’s year and not his year.

Lafreniere is such an interesting case. 15 years ago I honestly think Laf is a top-5 player in the entire league. The skill is there, the shot is there, the offensive creativity is there, even the competitiveness and the fire of an NHL superstar is there. 

But in today’s NHL, you have to be an elite skater and he is simply dreadful. He makes Holtz look like Hughes. 

55 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Remember how Lafreniere was supposed to be can’t miss, more so than Jack? Some of our fans were legitimately pissed that we had the first pick Jack’s year and not his year.

Was he?  I knew he was the consensus #1 pick, but I honestly don’t recall that his upside was ever supposed to be better than Jack’s.  I do love that Lafailiere is a lot closer to being a bust at this point than ever being in any conversations with Jack.  Still early though.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

How about more points on the season, Hischier or Kakko + Lafreniere?   38-36 right now.   

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Was he?  I knew he was the consensus #1 pick, but I honestly don’t recall that his upside was ever supposed to be better than Jack’s.  I do love that Lafailiere is a lot closer to being a bust at this point than ever being in any conversations with Jack.  Still early though.  

He wasn’t ever on the mcdavid/matthews path but he was thought to be clearly above Jack and whoever would be selected the next year (eventually was Owen Power). He was a can’t miss prospect. Whoops.

• Like 1

I also won’t vote in this poll out of superstition. 

And no offense to the OP, but this would have been better as a midseason poll for the whole team. Who’s the MVP (outside of Jack), who’s the biggest disappointment, biggest surprise, etc. 

Edited by Nicomo

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

And no offense to the OP, but this would have been better as a midseason poll for the whole team. Who’s the MVP (outside of Jack), who’s the biggest disappointment, biggest surprise, etc. 

You’re the MVP inside of Jack lol. 

You took away my opportunity yesterday, and I would not be denied. 

MVP that isn’t Jack: Nico. 

Biggest disappointment: Zetterlund. He looked like he was breaking out, now he’s on a milk carton. Honorable mention to Haula, but I believe he is being misused and that’s not entirely his fault. Can’t expect a third line center to play like a first line winger .

Biggest surprise: Schmid. After last season, I assumed Daws was the first man up when needed. Not only did Schmid get the call, he was outstanding. Didn’t see any of that coming. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

MVP outside of jack is Nico or Dougie. Dougie is quietly on pace for 70 points. When was the last time a defenseman hit that mark for the Devils? Niedermayer never hit that number. Rafalski never hit that number. Stevens in 1993? Dougie’s defense has been hit or miss (and maybe more miss than hit lately) so that’s why he’s not getting more love from the fans, but he’s doing exactly what he’s paid to do. Nico has been fantastic after a big lull in the middle of the first half. 

Disappointment has been Mercer, for me. Haula is bad but he was always just going to be a stopgap. Mercer was supposed to make a big leap, and he flat out hasn’t. Sophomore slump I guess, but damn. 

Surprise for me has to be Marino. We thought we were getting a solid, if unspectacular, middle pairing defenseman. He’s been nothing short of a #1. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

MVP outside of jack is Nico or Dougie. Dougie is quietly on pace for 70 points. When was the last time a defenseman hit that mark for the Devils? Niedermayer never hit that number. Rafalski never hit that number. Stevens in 1993? Dougie’s defense has been hit or miss (and maybe more miss than hit lately) so that’s why he’s not getting more love from the fans, but he’s doing exactly what he’s paid to do. Nico has been fantastic after a big lull in the middle of the first half. 

Disappointment has been Mercer, for me. Haula is bad but he was always just going to be a stopgap. Mercer was supposed to make a big leap, and he flat out hasn’t. Sophomore slump I guess, but damn. 

Surprise for me has to be Marino. We thought we were getting a solid, if unspectacular, middle pairing defenseman. He’s been nothing short of a #1. 

Good picks. These were going to be mine exactly. Dougie, Mercer, Marino. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Good picks. These were going to be mine exactly. Dougie, Mercer, Marino. 

MVP outside of Jack:  Nico.  He’s doing it all…he has a shot at 40 goals.  Not saying he’ll score that many, but 18 goals through 39 games?  Who saw THAT coming this year?

Most disappointing:  Haula because even though he obviously wasn’t supposed to spend so much time on Jack’s line, he had shown SOME ability to put pucks home previously.  Two goals all season despite having so many great chances?!

Most surprising:  Marino.  Guy is so good at what he does.  Can’t wait for him to come back into the lineup…he’s clearly missed.

41 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MVP outside of Jack:  Nico.  He’s doing it all…he has a shot at 40 goals.  Not saying he’ll score that many, but 18 goals through 39 games?  Who saw THAT coming this year?

I could have easily gone with Nico, I just went Dougie because of where he is in comparison to his peers. 6th in scoring, and tied for 5th in goals. Nico is obviously the better 2-way player, but getting this kind of production from the back end is something we haven’t had in forever. 

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I could have easily gone with Nico, I just went Dougie because of where he is in comparison to his peers. 6th in scoring, and tied for 5th in goals. Nico is obviously the better 2-way player, but getting this kind of production from the back end is something we haven’t had in forever. 

Dougie is definitely a solid choice, and an understandable one.

On 1/8/2023 at 2:33 PM, MB3 said:

MVP outside of jack is Nico or Dougie. Dougie is quietly on pace for 70 points. When was the last time a defenseman hit that mark for the Devils? Niedermayer never hit that number. Rafalski never hit that number. Stevens in 1993? Dougie’s defense has been hit or miss (and maybe more miss than hit lately) so that’s why he’s not getting more love from the fans, but he’s doing exactly what he’s paid to do.

Stevens is the only defenseman to ever hit 70 as a Devil. The next closest I saw was Tom Kurvers in 88-89 with 66 points. 

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Stevens is the only defenseman to ever hit 70 as a Devil. 

“bUt hE wAS jUsT A gOoN!”

I swear - the amount of idiots I’ve seen online claiming all Stevens did was hit is just insane. Like dude didn’t have 900+ points. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

“bUt hE wAS jUsT A gOoN!”

I swear - the amount of idiots I’ve seen online claiming all Stevens did was hit is just insane. Like dude didn’t have 900+ points. 

The same idiots who say that the Devils still play the trap, no doubt. 

• Like 1