The Unintended Friday the 13th GDT Thread (1/13/23) Devs @ Ducks 10:00 PM EST ESPN + Hulu

Rock

6 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

Let’s get this win and more importantly, don’t let Henrique make us look bad.

Was at this game and I will admit, I gave Henrique a golf clap after he pulled that off.  I've always a huge Henrique fan (🇵🇹 represent) and it was just one hell of a way to make a return.  That aside, I hate the Ducks because of Giguere and I hope we use their fat to make fries.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Wouldnt mind having that guy in my bottom 6 right now. 

Not at his current price tag, but I could definitely see the Devils adding him at the deadline as a relatively low-cost rental next season, if need be.

• Like 1

Won't be watching the next two games until the following mornings (want to see them with my daughter), so no GDTs for me.  

L G M F D!!!

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not at his current price tag, but I could definitely see the Devils adding him at the deadline as a relatively low-cost rental next season, if need be.

Yeah, he's got this year and next year at 5.875. Wonder if a 3rd round pick would be enough for Henrique at 50% retained? A solid vet who can play all around the lineup, all 3 forward positions, that the fanbase adores? At 2.9m, you're not going to find many options out there like that. 

Slow start this season but he's playing on a bad team with bad linemates (Sam Carrick and Max Comtois lately).

The Devils could certainly do worse. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Yeah, he's got this year and next year at 5.875. Wonder if a 3rd round pick would be enough for Henrique at 50% retained? A solid vet who can play all around the lineup, all 3 forward positions, that the fanbase adores? At 2.9m, you're not going to find many options out there like that. 

Slow start this season but he's playing on a bad team with bad linemates (Sam Carrick and Max Comtois lately).

I would actually consider dealing Sharangovich for Henrique @ 50% retained and a pick coming back (say a 4th).  Ducks get a younger player who may benefit from going to a new team and they could sign him to a couple of years (Sharangovich is a RFA after this) on a "Show us" kind of deal, Devils get a veteran player who could be a better shorter-term fit...and yeah, I want no part of Henrique at his current salary, but chop that in half, and I'll take him for the rest of this season and next.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I would actually consider dealing Sharangovich for Henrique @ 50% retained and a pick coming back (say a 4th).  Ducks get a younger player who may benefit from going to a new team and they could sign him to a couple of years (Sharangovich is a RFA after this) on a "Show us" kind of deal, Devils get a veteran player who could be a better shorter-term fit...and yeah, I want no part of Henrique at his current salary, but chop that in half, and I'll take him for the rest of this season and next.  

I would do this in a milisecond but I value Sharangovich significantly less than most, and I'm sure many people think he's more valuable than a 2-season rental of a 32 year old with similar numbers. 

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I would do this in a milisecond but I value Sharangovich significantly less than most, and I'm sure many people think he's more valuable than a 2-season rental of a 32 year old with similar numbers. 

I would do this because I get the feeling there's a very good chance Sharangovich is quickly becoming a guy the Devils have no interest in extending.  If that's the case (and he's now at that "not really a prospect anymore, but kinda is what he is" age), then might as well get someone who serves some kind of a purpose for him.  If you extend him, he's probably getting something similar to a 50%-retained Henrique, but for longer.  If anything, Devils will need some money to pay more of their "desirables" (Dawson will be completing his ELC next season)...I don't mind a short-term rental with the cap hit coming off the books.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, eldon said:

But how could the media/pr team replace Santagovich? 

Henrique got a good deal for a guy who they put on waivers a couple years ago. 

The deal Henrique signed with the Ducks was pretty bad (Taylor Hall is making $6 million AAV)...but at half that cost, I'd take him over Sharangovich...especially since it seems like Yegor's really stalled here.  I don't think he has tremendous trade value, nor do I believe that the Devils are looking to give him 3+ seasons on some bridge deal...I'm realistic about what he'll bring back.  You could do worse than Henrique (who's actually been reasonably productive on a horrible team, after a slow start).  He's been playing an insane amount of minutes there, out of necessity...about 19:30 per game over his last 31 games.  I don't expect him to get that kind of ice time here, if the Devils ever dealt for him...so I would also expect that his offensive numbers would dip a bit. 

42 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think he has tremendous trade value, nor do I believe that the Devils are looking to give him 3+ seasons on some bridge deal...

Counterpoint, he is only making $2m AAV right now. I'm not sure a 20 goal guy who kills penalties and occasionaly gets really hot and could score 25 isn't a bargain at $2m. How much would his next deal be worth at this point?

In a world where we still have Boqvist on the team (despite a good game yesterday), and with the "cap problems" that we could have but never actually happen, should we be looking to get rid of a cheap guy like Sharangovich?

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Counterpoint, he is only making $2m AAV right now. I'm not sure a 20 goal guy who kills penalties and occasionaly gets really hot and could score 25 isn't a bargain at $2m. How much would his next deal be worth at this point?

In a world where we still have Boqvist on the team (despite a good game yesterday), and with the "cap problems" that we could have but never actually happen, should we be looking to get rid of a cheap guy like Sharangovich?

see my comment in the other thread. Sharangovich being on the penalty kill doesn’t mean he “kills penalties” any more than Haula being on Jack’s line makes him a “first line forward”. 

Sharangovich won’t be cheap soon, and in my opinion it would be a mistake to sign him to a bridge deal.

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I guess a better question is what would you offer him on his next deal?  He's an arb-eligible RFA this coming offseason.  It's not out of the question that depending on how this year unfolds, that the Devils and Sharangovich could agree to a one-year, approx $3 million "show me" deal, and he gets one last chance to show why he should be a part of this thing and get a multi-year deal prior to the 2024-25 season.  I wouldn't love it, but if the Devils aren't committed to him long-term, I could kinda-sorta live with one last look (but would rather not).  

I know he's a decent on the PK and yeah, right now he's on pace for exactly 20 goals...but man he's been invisible SO often this year...especially lately.  I'm just ready to move on from him...it's a case of me believing that we've already seen his very best here, and part of taking steps forward is deciding who should be a part of this thing and who shouldn't.  I'm pretty much convinced Sharangovich is a mediocre-to-bad-team Top 6 at best, where with more "by default" minutes he might even flirt with 30 goals if he's getting good puck luck, but with a lot of mistakes and meh-ish play along the way.       

8 minutes ago, MB3 said:

see my comment in the other thread. Sharangovich being on the penalty kill doesn’t mean he “kills penalties” any more than Haula being on Jack’s line makes him a “first line forward”. 

Sharangovich won’t be cheap soon, and in my opinion it would be a mistake to sign him to a bridge deal.

How much do you think he is going to get?

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I guess a better question is what would you offer him on his next deal? 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

How much would his next deal be worth at this point?

I guess I still agree lol. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

How much do you think he is going to get?

I guess I still agree lol. 

I posted that I could live with one year @ about $3 million (preferably a little less) if, say, he has another productive second half.  I don't want to sign him long-term.  If he finishes with about the same numbers in the second half that he did in the first, I say just move on and try to upgrade.  But in general it's like I said, I'm more in "Let's move on" mode with him.    

I posted that I could live with one year @ about $3 million (preferably a little less) if, say, he has another productive second half.  I don't want to sign him long-term.  If he finishes with about the same numbers in the second half that he did in the first, I say just move on and try to upgrade.  But in general it's like I said, I'm more in "Let's move on" mode with him.    

Given our history of offensive issues in recent years, and even at times this year, I’m not so sure moving on from a 20 goal scorer you can pay $3m is the best idea. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Given our history of offensive issues in recent years, and even at times this year, I’m not so sure moving on from a 20 goal scorer you can pay $3m is the best idea. 

That's assuming he's still going to be a sure-fire 20-goal scorer.  I'm not so sure that he is, which is part of my issue with him.  I don't see a guy who's constantly snakebit and could snap out of it any day...I see a guy that I barely notice on offense, and a guy who's seen his playing time cut pretty significantly (as of late, he's averaging 3.5 minutes less TOI than his career rate).  Those aren't promising signs.

He's actually been part of the offensive issues...he's scored twice and has totaled 3 points in the past 18 games.  And I don't know what else he really brings when he's not scoring...MB3 just posted that even his PK really isn't all that great (in another thread).  Guess I'm just not up for giving this guy yet another season...he had his chance to build off last year.  He's not doing it.   

That's assuming he's still going to be a sure-fire 20-goal scorer.  I'm not so sure that he is, which is part of my issue with him.  I don't see a guy who's constantly snakebit and could snap out of it any day...I see a guy that I barely notice on offense, and a guy who's seen his playing time cut pretty significantly (as of late, he's averaging 3.5 minutes less TOI than his career rate).  Those aren't promising signs.

He's actually been part of the offensive issues...he's scored twice and has totaled 3 points in the past 18 games.  And I don't know what else he really brings when he's not scoring...MB3 just posted that even his PK really isn't all that great.  Guess I'm just not up for giving this guy yet another season...he had his chance to build off last year.  He's not doing it.   

Well, people are complaining about him right now, and how many goals is he on pace for /82 despite all that? 

We both know you know the answer. 😀

Besides, I still think there’s other people I would say goodbye to before Yegor. 

6 hours ago, MB3 said:

Dude that would be awesome to bring Henrique back. We also know he performs well in big games. 

Edited by MadDog2020