The Unintended Friday the 13th GDT Thread (1/13/23) Devs @ Ducks 10:00 PM EST ESPN + Hulu

Rock

6 hours ago, Rock said:

I just can't get used to a ESPN broadcast team gushing over the Devils.  It feels so weird.

My favorite part is it’s also a former Ranger. We’re so used to the dirty crybaby and Mr 30 NHL games in net  talking the most sh!t, meanwhile a former captain who we knocked out of the finals can be an impartial broadcaster

• Like 2

We scored on 3 breakaways last night. This must be a systems thing.  Our D men always looking up. Maybe it's because we were playing the Dux.  Going to be fun bus ride to Staples Car.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

We scored on 3 breakaways last night. This must be a systems thing.  Our D men always looking up. Maybe it's because we were playing the Dux.  Going to be fun bus ride to Staples Car.

Kinda hard to use anything done against the Ducks as any great measuring stick…that team is really bad…you wonder how the hell they ever won 12 games (though of course even the worst teams usually win at least 25 or so).  All you ask is that your team beats them, either in convincing or ugly fashion…just get those two points.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Kinda hard to use anything done against the Ducks as any great measuring stick…that team is really bad…you wonder how the hell they ever won 12 games (though of course even the worst teams usually win at least 25 or so).  All you ask is that your team beats them, either in convincing or ugly fashion…just get those two points.  

Their goal differential is minus-80. That’s mind blowingly awful!

23 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Their goal differential is minus-80. That’s mind blowingly awful!

Yeah they’re brutal…pretty much off-the-spectrum bad.  They have four regulation wins all season.  FOUR!

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah they’re brutal…pretty much off-the-spectrum bad.  They have four regulation wins all season.  FOUR!

Imagine how THEIR fans melt down on a message board when ours do that while the team is in second (and, even when we were in first) place. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Imagine how THEIR fans melt down on a message board when ours do that while the team is in second (and, even when we were in first) place. 

When you’re THAT bad I think you’re pretty much resigned to your fate.  It’s about wondering what you can get for guys like Henrique and hoping you can land Bedard…and enjoying whatever moments Zegras can give you.  You become indifferent to the on-ice product because there’s just no point in holding them to any particular standard nor investing too much emotion into them.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well we know those fans are just.... like that. They weirdly... enjoy... in a way being negative. So that the team is first in the league or last. Doesn't change much, it's just an opportunity for them to be negative and "vent". Hell we know a few here who use to be insanely negative constantly and anytime the team would do really well they just wouldnt post. Actually thinking about it i havent seen them in quite awhile...

But seriously. Last year many fans here were saying ALL they wanted was 2 things 2 things...

1- Just get league average goaltending. That with that we could maybe be a bubble team

2- Just see the team taking a step forward in their development, not regress or stay the same

We OBVIOUSLY get league average goaltending and we took a gigantic step forward. Yet..... those specific fans still lose their minds when we're not winning. So that's just what they do.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When you’re THAT bad I think you’re pretty much resigned to your fate.  It’s about wondering what you can get for guys like Henrique and hoping you can land Bedard…and enjoying whatever moments Zegras can give you.  You become indifferent to the on-ice product because there’s just no point in holding them to any particular standard nor investing too much emotion into them.  

Yeah, I have been here since 2013 and I can say with certainty that ain’t true lol. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, I have been here since 2013 and I can say with certainty that ain’t true lol. 

I was speaking to this specific Ducks season.  There‘s “on the spectrum” bad, and then there’s what the 2022-23 Ducks are.  That team is going get outscored by well over 100 goals…sure, if you’re a fan of that team you hate to see that, and some will obviously vent plenty…but when your team is THAT god-awful (and didn’t really have many expectations to begin with), how pissed should you really get?  Just hope your GM can do some serious selling and hope the lottery goes your way.  At least the Ducks are in play for the 1OA at just the right time.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was speaking to this specific Ducks season.  There‘s “on the spectrum” bad, and then there’s what the 2022-23 Ducks are.  That team is going get outscored by well over 100 goals…sure, if you’re a fan of that team you hate to see that, and some will obviously vent plenty…but when your team is THAT god-awful (and didn’t really have many expectations to begin with), how pissed should you really get?  Just hope your GM can do some serious selling and hope the lottery goes your way.  At least the Ducks are in play for the 1OA at just the right time.  

I recall plenty of people still being really pissed here on a game-day basis when that was us. And we still have people doing it now that we’re playing much better. That was the point I was making. We have had some pretty epic meltdowns during a season where we are playing well. Imagine we had 4 regulation wins! 

15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well we know those fans are just.... like that. They weirdly... enjoy... in a way being negative. So that the team is first in the league or last. Doesn't change much, it's just an opportunity for them to be negative and "vent". Hell we know a few here who use to be insanely negative constantly and anytime the team would do really well they just wouldnt post. Actually thinking about it i havent seen them in quite awhile...

But seriously. Last year many fans here were saying ALL they wanted was 2 things 2 things...

1- Just get league average goaltending. That with that we could maybe be a bubble team

2- Just see the team taking a step forward in their development, not regress or stay the same

We OBVIOUSLY get league average goaltending and we took a gigantic step forward. Yet..... those specific fans still lose their minds when we're not winning. So that's just what they do.

Re:  point 1, that’s why I don’t get why VV occasionally gets criticized…he was a mostly a hot-and-cold league average goalie prior to coming here who represented a clear upgrade over what the Devils had in house.  He didn’t cost much to acquire and he didn’t cost much to sign.  He’s been mostly terrific so far and has been EXTREMELY cost-effective, given his salary.  I’d say he’s more exceeded expectations, than anything else.

I mean, sh!t, imagine if Fitz decided to roll the dice with Blackwood as the 1A with a meh-ish, uber backup brought in. That would have been an absolute disaster.

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  point 1, that’s why I don’t get why VV occasionally gets criticized…he was a mostly a hot-and-cold league average goalie prior to coming here who represented a clear upgrade over what the Devils had in house.  He didn’t cost much to acquire and he didn’t cost much to sign.  He’s been mostly terrific so far and has been EXTREMELY cost-effective, given his salary.  I’d say he’s more exceeded expectations, than anything else.

I mean, sh!t, imagine if Fitz decided to roll the dice with Blackwood as the 1A with a meh-ish, uber backup brought in. That would have been an absolute disaster.

Dude cmon lol you've been here long enough. You know members here who are criticizing him. You know fully well deep down why he's criticized lol 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I recall plenty of people still being really pissed here on a game-day basis when that was us. And we still have people doing it now that we’re playing much better. That was the point I was making. We have had some pretty epic meltdowns during a season where we are playing well. Imagine we had 4 regulation wins! 

That has NEVER been the Devils over the past 10 seasons, as far as being as bad as the 2022-23 Ducks go.  Like I said, the 2022-23 Ducks are a whole higher level of rotten.  This Ducks team might struggle to put up much more than 50 points.  They’ve already been outscored by more goals than any of the 2013-and-beyond Devils teams were for a full season.

As for this year, yeah, some of the rants are ridiculous and over the top, and the Devils are definitely held to an absurd standard in some circles where they better dare not slump or even lose a few games.  Some of that comes with having a team that actually is playing for something and has something to lose…it’s emotion, but a different kind than continually losing your sh!t over teams that never had much going for them to begin with.

The last 2-3 Devil seasons have been trickier because they teased with good starts, and there was some talent in house that it was easy to hope that the corner was being turned…when that didn’t happen (in spectacular fashion), it was plenty easy to lose our collective sh!t…I definitely did at times.  I’m just glad that corner’s been turned.  And that this season is back on track.  

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That has NEVER been the Devils over the past 10 seasons, as far as being as bad as the 2022-23 Ducks go.  

Ducks are 12-27-4. Basically on pace for 22-23 wins. Maybe we haven’t been EXACTLY that bad, but we had 28 and 27 win seasons. They could easily be in that same range by season’s end, as obviously they may not follow their pace exactly. 

If your argument is that an extra 4-5 wins means our teams were “better” than the Ducks are right now, and our fan base would have been less upset than theirs is right now, that’s not really a great argument.