Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

some rentals that wouldn’t break the bank i’d be interested in: 

1. tyler bertuzzi. i don’t like that he’s antivax but that doesn’t seem to matter much any more in the nhl. i didn’t like that brodeur fvcked his sister in law, still have 2 of his jerseys. 

2. johnathan toews fits like a glove for a 3rd line center / PP2 center if the devils insist on loading up nico and jack on PP1. has the black cloud of the blackhawks scandal over his head still, which makes me wonder if anyone would make that move. 

3. ROR fits in the same way toews does. the team needs veteran leadership, this guy provides it in spades. 

4. adam henrique fills a void. anaheim needs to retain salary and i’m not sure they want to do that. he’d be cheap, he’s a fan favorite, and he has playoff experience.

5. tarasenko, for obvious reasons. imagine him on a line with Jack instead of Haula/Tatar? Gimme.

• Like 1

Open to the idea of a big move but only if it's for a guy with prime years left AND is signed for multiple years beyond this one.  I can't do it for a UFA-to-be that I hope might sign...not the right time to take that risk.

As far a nice solid move goes, I'm still open to Sharangovich + a draft pick for Henrique + Ducks retaining half his salary.  I think Henrique brings some more versatility and a solid vet presence.  Also expect that he'll be a little more consistent offensively.  

ROR is currently on crutches after having blocked a shot and hasn't played since New Year's Eve...and was having a rough year before that.  It's funny, he's one of those guys you think of as being much older than he is, due to how long that he's been in the NHL, but he's only 31 (he'll be 32 in February).  Makes you wonder how much he's got left...the Blues would have to eat some salary.  But yeah you might not have to give up much of anything for him, and assuming he's healthy, he might have something to offer.  Seems like a longshot though.

Jim Rutherford was quoted today making it clear that the Canucks are going to rebuild. He said many of the core pieces that are on the team right now will not be here next year. 

What does a Quinn Hughes trade look like? He’s signed for this year and 4 more years at $7.875m. He’s an elite, smooth skating 23-year old left handed offensive defenseman. 38 points in 39 games so far this year. Does Nemec, a lotto-protected 1st and a guy like Mukumadulin move the needle? With the Devils sending back Tatar to remain cap compliant this season?

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Jim Rutherford was quoted today making it clear that the Canucks are going to rebuild. He said many of the core pieces that are on the team right now will not be here next year. 

What does a Quinn Hughes trade look like? He’s signed for this year and 4 more years at $7.875m. He’s an elite, smooth skating 23-year old left handed offensive defenseman. 38 points in 39 games so far this year. Does Nemec, a lotto-protected 1st and a guy like Mukumadulin move the needle? With the Devils sending back Tatar to remain cap compliant this season?

I suspect it looks like Vancouver laughing their asses off before hanging up the phone. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I suspect it looks like Vancouver laughing their asses off before hanging up the phone. 

Yeah Quinn's young enough and on a reasonable enough contract that he's one of the pieces that you hope to keep...it's the JT Miller contract that I'd be looking to move, but that one hasn't even kicked in yet, so can't see that even being an option.  I'll take my chances with Nemec and L Hughes on their ELCs for a few years...especially since I'd like to have money for Bratt and/or some other productive winger(s).  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah Quinn's young enough and on a reasonable enough contract that he's one of the pieces that you hope to keep...it's the JT Miller contract that I'd be looking to move, but that one hasn't even kicked in yet, so can't see that even being an option.  I'll take my chances with Nemec and L Hughes on their ELCs for a few years...especially since I'd like to have money for Bratt and/or some other productive winger(s).  

Did anyone listen to the Rutherford presser? Or even read the quotes? He’s talking about a tear-down rebuild. Nobody will touch that JT Miller contract. He’s already admitted defeat on re-signing Horvat. He said “we will have to look at saying goodbye to some core pieces” as they enter the rebuild. 

Quinn has 4 years left after this season and then he’s an unrestricted free agent. 4 years isn’t a long time — if you’re expecting to enter a rebuild, *best* case scenario is you have Hughes playing on a playoff-caliber team in his walk year? Is that the best allocation of assets?

I don’t think he’s as untouchable as you guys are making it seem. 

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Did anyone listen to the Rutherford presser? Or even read the quotes? He’s talking about a tear-down rebuild. Nobody will touch that JT Miller contract. He’s already admitted defeat on re-signing Horvat. He said “we will have to look at saying goodbye to some core pieces” as they enter the rebuild. 

Quinn has 4 years left after this season and then he’s an unrestricted free agent. 4 years isn’t a long time — if you’re expecting to enter a rebuild, *best* case scenario is you have Hughes playing on a playoff-caliber team in his walk year? Is that the best allocation of assets?

I don’t think he’s as untouchable as you guys are making it seem. 

No I agree the JT Miller contract was a bad one the second it was signed.

The one thing the Canucks have going for them is that they have legit assets to deal...they could potentially get enough picks and young pieces back to speed things up a little.  I still have to see just how far Rutherford is willing to go in "saying goodbye".  I'm not so sure that he's going to strip it completely down to the studs, and for me that would mean Hughes and/or Petterson are made available.

At any rate, I don't think he has to explore trading Quinn THIS early...he can wait a year or two to see how his rebuild's going, and then deal him off if need be...unless Quinn gets hurt or sees a dramatic drop-off in performance, he'll still fetch a nice return with 2+ years or so left on his current deal.  Guys like him don't become available often. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At any rate, I don't think he has to explore trading Quinn THIS early...he can wait a year or two to see how his rebuild's going, and then deal him off if need be...unless Quinn gets hurt or sees a dramatic drop-off in performance, he'll still fetch a nice return with 2+ years or so left on his current deal.  Guys like him don't become available often. 

He can trade us Quinn in a year or two when we’re ready to make our Cup run. ;)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No I agree the JT Miller contract was a bad one the second it was signed.

The one thing the Canucks have going for them is that they have legit assets to deal...they could potentially get enough picks and young pieces back to speed things up a little.  I still have to see just how far Rutherford is willing to go in "saying goodbye".  I'm not so sure that he's going to strip it completely down to the studs, and for me that would mean Hughes and/or Petterson are made available.

Outside of Petey and Hughes, who are their "legit assets" they have to deal. A rental of Horvat will bring back a nice little package but nothing franchise changing. Boeser probably doesn't bring back more than a 2nd. 

And while I agree he has plenty of time to trade Hughes if that's the route he takes, it's a diminishing return every time he steps on the ice. He might not see a package like Nemec/Shak and a 1st ever again. Maybe he learned a lesson by playing such asinine hardball with JT Miller trade negotiations (there were rumors that he was asking for 2 firsts and 2 NHL players... for an RFA JT Miller lol). 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He can trade us Quinn in a year or two when we’re ready to make our Cup run. ;)

Would be crazy to have all three Hughes bros here, but I'm not as fascinated with that possibility as MB3 has been.  Guess Vancouver's current situation makes it a little bit more of a "maybe someday" thing than it was previously.    

Depending on what's going on at the time, it's not totally out of realm of possibility...gotta see what the Devils cap situation will be though.  If Quinn's clearly best player in a deal involving Nemec (who by this time is looking good but not as good as Quinn, but should still have upside) + a 1st-rounder + other pieces prior to or during the 2025-26 season, yeah, even though you're taking on a lot of money and it's questionable how long he's going to be here (can't pay everyone)...that would definitely one of those "All in, here's our 'win a damned Cup or else!' 2-3 year window" kinds of moves.  

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Would be crazy to have all three Hughes bros here, but I'm not as fascinated with that possibility as MB3 has been.  Guess Vancouver's current situation makes it a little bit more of a "maybe someday" thing than it was previously.    

Depending on what's going on at the time, it's not totally out of realm of possibility...gotta see what the Devils cap situation will be though.  If Quinn's clearly best player in a deal involving Nemec (who by this time is looking good but not as good as Quinn, but should still have upside) + a 1st-rounder + other pieces prior to or during the 2025-26 season, yeah, even though you're taking on a lot of money and it's questionable how long he's going to be here (can't pay everyone)...that would definitely one of those "All in, here's our 'win a damned Cup or else!' 2-3 year window" kinds of moves.  

$7.875m isn’t any sort of contract that should cause you to raise an eyebrow (or say “win a cup in this 2-3 year window”). The devils will be fine next year and the cap is going to jump dramatically the year after next. They already have Jack and Nico signed plus Marino and Siegenthaler on the back end. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Outside of Petey and Hughes, who are their "legit assets" they have to deal. A rental of Horvat will bring back a nice little package but nothing franchise changing. Boeser probably doesn't bring back more than a 2nd. 

And while I agree he has plenty of time to trade Hughes if that's the route he takes, it's a diminishing return every time he steps on the ice. He might not see a package like Nemec/Shak and a 1st ever again. Maybe he learned a lesson by playing such asinine hardball with JT Miller trade negotiations (there were rumors that he was asking for 2 firsts and 2 NHL players... for an RFA JT Miller lol). 

Yeah their cupboard isn't as good as I thought it was.  After Horvat it thins out for sure, if Petterson and Hughes are 100% off the table.  Boeser might fetch a low first depending upon how the market shakes out, maybe somehow you get a second for Garland, but those are best-case scenarios.  Kuzmenko is a UFA on a very cheap contract who's had a nice rookie year...maybe someone coughs up something pretty good for him (assuming he won't re-sign and has let the Canucks know that)?

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

$7.875m isn’t any sort of contract that should cause you to raise an eyebrow (or say “win a cup in this 2-3 year window”). The devils will be fine next year and the cap is going to jump dramatically the year after next. They already have Jack and Nico signed plus Marino and Siegenthaler on the back end. 

I mean if they will move him, sure, get him now. We can ditch Severson and almost have his salary covered. No issues with that whatsoever. 

But both Quinn and Pettersson as sufficiently young that if I were them, they'd be my core rather than guys I am looking to move. Do teams often move a 23 year old former All-Star defenseman who only missed out on the Calder because of Makar to start a rebuild? I cannot imagine they do. 

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

If the Devils can keep getting cheap goaltending, that helps.  But if Bratt is re-signed and a guy like Meier is brought in, that changes things.  And of course this is a ways off but L Hughes could get a nice payday once his ELC is up.  Mercer won't be cheap after next season.  Q Hughes' money may not be as easy to squeeze in as you think, but it's hard to tell right this second...won't know until we see if Fitz adds any more high-priced contracts into the mix.

Just now, SterioDesign said:

I'd be down getting Quinn for Nemec but then i think it might mean mean we couldn't afford a top winger for Jack

The Devils have Severson and Graves coming off the books next year -- that's enough to afford Quinn even just as a two-for-one, if you assume Luke is joining the big club next year. 

13 minutes ago, MB3 said:

The Devils have Severson and Graves coming off the books next year -- that's enough to afford Quinn even just as a two-for-one, if you assume Luke is joining the big club next year. 

Well not 100% sure that Graves is coming off the books but obviously if you get Quinn, he would.

This is kind of a... fantasy move cause we don't "really" need Q. Hughes IF Nemec does pan out. Also we'd have a lot of more offensively oriented dmen so i might get ugly from that aspect. But... man it would be awesome. Also there's always a chance that Nemec might not pan out completely and with Quinn we KNOW what we're getting and even if Nemec ends up being sligthly better than Quinn... we got a player that can play now and with strong ties to the team and just for the stories... and just imagine... Devils in OT and you send you Hughes out there.....

Siegenthaler - Hamilton

Q. Hughes - L. Hughes

Graves - Marino  

Okhotiuk - Bahl

Edited by SterioDesign

Doing this for fun and because I would do anything to avoid actual work during work hours. For this exercise, I'll assume they trade Sharangovich to look for a real top-6 forward, and I'll assume they move on from / non-tender Mackenzie Blackwood since Schmid looks more than capable.

2023-2024 Devils Roster:

FORWARDS

1. Jack Hughes (8)
  2. Nico Hischier (7.25)
  3. Jesper Bratt (8.5) (bold indicates my guess for his next contract for the guys I assume stick around)
  4. Ondrej Palat (6)
  5. Dawson Mercer (.894)
  6. Alexander Holtz (.894)
  7. Jesper Boqvist (.874)
  8. Mike McLeod (1.5)
  9. Nate Bastian (2.25)
  10. Fabian Zetterlund (1)

DEFENSE

1. Dougie Hamilton (9)
  2. Jonas Siegenthaler (3.4)
  3. John Marino (4.4)
  4. Luke Hughes (.894)
  5. Nikita Ohkotiuk (.789)
  6. (Blank)
  7. Brendan Smith (1.1)

GOALIES

1. Vitek Vanecek (3.4)
  2. Akira Schmid (.789)

DEAD CAP

1. Schnieder, Kuokkonen, Kovalchuk (2.5) (ALL of this expires before the following offseason)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That puts the Devils at $65.289m in used cap space. The cap is expected to be between 87-90m next year (projected to be close to 95 the following year). That gives the Devils COMFORTABLY $22m to play with, and only 2 forward spots and 1 defensive spot to fill. The Devils probably don't want to be a cap team next year, but it's perfectly reasonable to think the team signs/adds Haula ($3), a solid defenseman (Hughes at $7.25? Re-sign Graves at $6?), and a top-line winger (Meier at $9.5?) and stays well short of the cap ceiling, with plenty of loose change to use when Mercer (2024), Luke Hughes (2026), and Nemec (2026) need their raises. 

That's the benefit of having a $12m center like Jack, a $9m center like Nico, an $8m defenseman like Marino and a $6.5m defenseman like Siegenthaler making a combined $22m instead of their $36+m market value. 

Edited by MB3

15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well not 100% sure that Graves is coming off the books but obviously if you get Quinn, he would.

This is kind of a... fantasy move cause we don't "really" need Q. Hughes IF Nemec does pan out. But... man it would be awesome. Also there's always a chance that Nemec might not pan out completely and with Quinn we KNOW what we're getting and even if Nemec ends up being sligthly better than Quinn... we got a player that can play now and with strong ties to the team and just for the stories... and just imagine... Devils in OT and you send you Hughes out there.....

Siegenthaler - Hamilton

Q. Hughes - L. Hughes

Graves - Marino  

Okhotiuk - Bahl

It's definitely more of a "Let's get all of the Hughes bros playing for the Devils!" thing, than the Devils actually needing to do this.  But it doesn't hurt that two of them are already terrific, with Luke expected to be pretty damned good himself.  I lean towards rolling with Nemec, but the idea is intriguing as hell, no doubt.

Yeah Q coming here pretty much has to mean bye-bye Seves (that was already happening) and almost definitely bye-bye Graves (I like him and would love if he stuck around but not sure how much I'd want to pay for him).  But when you have Hamilton, Q Hughes, Marino and Siegs, with L Hughes likely to join (albeit with expected growing pains)...damn that's a hell of a group.  Just replace Smith with a better rock/hitter-type (give Okhotiuk a look or find a vet) and hope no one gets hurt...damn.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's definitely more of a "Let's get all of the Hughes bros playing for the Devils!" thing, then the Devils actually needing to do this.  But it doesn't hurt that two of them are already terrific, with Luke expected to be pretty damned good himself.  I lean towards rolling with Nemec, but the idea is intriguing as hell, no doubt.

Yeah Q coming here pretty much has to mean bye-bye Seves (that was already happening) and almost definitely bye-bye Graves (I like him and would love if he stuck around but not sure how much I'd want to pay for him).  But when you have Hamilton, Q Hughes, Marino and Siegs, with L Hughes likely to join (albeit with expected growing pains)...damn that's a hell of a group.  Just replace Smith with a better rock/hitter-type (give Okhotiuk a look or find a vet) and hope no one gets hurt...damn.

I think this desire also comes from a deep deep cut that will never fully heal of Niedermayer leaving to join in brother in Anaheim... lol

That was 100% Lou's fault but still, without his brother being somewhere else, he might have stayed

We also have Mukh coming but he might have to be part of the deal for Quinn. 

I mean... if you're Vancouver... clearly needed to tear things down. Getting Nemec and Mukh would be a terrific move for their future

Edited by SterioDesign