Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

3 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Adam Henrique. Could be had for cheap. Anaheim may be willing to retain salary on that cap hit. 

2nd round, Walsh, and Johnsson maybe gets it done too. Anaheim is desperate. If they'll take Johnsson AND/OR retain some of Henrique's salary cap hit. 

Henrique can play anywhere in the lineup and he would almost certainly force Haula and Tatar down the lineup. I like the idea at least. 

I'm not for fiddling around with this defense much other than bringing in L.Hughes or Nemec/Okhotiyuk takes that Smith 3rd pairing spot tbf. 

I don’t think it would. Walsh is a pretty meh prospect (Will Butcher 2.0, imo) and every team in the league had the opportunity to claim Johnsson when we put him on waivers and none did. I’d say it will take a little better package than that. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

I don’t think it would. Walsh is a pretty meh prospect (Will Butcher 2.0, imo) and every team in the league had the opportunity to claim Johnsson when we put him on waivers and none did. I’d say it will take a little better package than that. 

Yeah, I have to agree. I don’t know why everyone always thinks we can take a bunch of spare pets and trade them for someone of value. You have to give to get. 

Adding Johnsson to any trade is a negative for NJ. They'd have to pay for someone to take him, not the other way around.

A potential playoff team looking to solidify their bottom 6 for a playoff push is going to pay for a vet like Henrique. He's got another contract year and most serious contenders are going to need salary retained. He could fetch more than people think for ANA.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Weighing the risk-reward, I'm not sure I would trade for Meier. He won't sign an extension. Players like to have several teams bidding for their services, and for good reason. Do you think the Devils will go after him in the summer regardless?

if the guy is looking for a long-term dealt though getting traded to a team he's okay signing for is the only way he can get that 8th year though. Well, if that's really what he wants

13 hours ago, MB3 said:

Laf AND Kakko is an overpayment for Meier who is likely just a rental for the Rangers. That's why I don't see this happening -- the Rangers are winger-rich, Panarin-Kreider-Trotchek-Kakko is as solid as it gets in terms of top-4 wingers. They're weak as hell down the middle, why not address that via trade?

After this season the Rangers are already paying Panarin 11.7, Mika 8.5, Fox 9.5 and Trouba 8.0. They can't really afford to pay Timo long term, especially since they'll owe Chytil a new deal and K'Andre Miller a massive contract this summer.

Idk. I don't see it. 

But as you brought up the cap is going up about 5 millions in a few years so?

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

But as you brought up the cap is going up about 5 millions in a few years so?

It is, but a few years doesn’t matter if they’re not cap compliant next year. And unless they’re trading one of their big guns, I don’t think they can afford Meier AND a new contract to Chytil and K’Andre.

Adding johnsson isn't the problem if trade partner is bottom team. He cost nothing and has good cap space. Ofcourse he isn't main part, just helping to follow the cap rule. 

The problem with the trade of Meier is main part. We can give Holtz, rangers can give Kakko. If they will decide to trade Kakko he is a better target for trade. I don't think teams like LA will trade Byfield or Wild will trade Rossi. Both have same adaptation problems as Holtz, but Kings and San Jose are neighbors, wild have problems with center depth. 

But wingers depth isn't the problem for rangers, and Kakko,even with his slow production development, cost more. Hope they will decide to save Kakko, because of cap reasons(Miller can sign big deal, Chytil will got more, like MB saud, and of course their most problematic position is center), and because of reputation. But the second part isn't big deal for nyr organisation how I understand what they are doing.

Interesting case is Ottawa. I don't think they will, but they can make a bold move, especially if talks with DeBrincat about thus summer doesn't going well. 

Edited by Guadana

Where a Meier trade gets hung up is if Grier insists on a roster player. I really think this is where NJ lacks something reasonable to give. Top prospect, roster player, two picks. SJ going into a big rebuild looking to add heavily in the next couple drafts... What roster players would they even be interested in? I am guessing the Devils will say Sharongovich, but Grier is going to ask for Mercer and idk if Fitz will go there.

Devils could try to do a 3-way trade with a team out west for Severson to grab another first instead of a roster player—— Holtz, NJ 2023 first, Western 2023 first, NJ 2024 second.

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Where a Meier trade gets hung up is if Grier insists on a roster player. I really think this is where NJ lacks something reasonable to give. Top prospect, roster player, two picks. SJ going into a big rebuild looking to add heavily in the next couple drafts... What roster players would they even be interested in? I am guessing the Devils will say Sharongovich, but Grier is going to ask for Mercer and idk if Fitz will go there.

Devils could try to do a 3-way trade with a team out west for Severson to grab another first instead of a roster player—— Holtz, NJ 2023 first, Western 2023 first, NJ 2024 second.

Not sure they’ll be able to do much better than Sharangovich if they want a roster player. Shango+Holtz+1st+2nd sounds right to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Not sure they’ll be able to do much better than Sharangovich if they want a roster player. Shango+Holtz+1st+2nd sounds right to me.

I would do that right away, assuming the extension is part of the deal. 

9 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I am guessing the Devils will say Sharongovich, but Grier is going to ask for Mercer and idk if Fitz will go there.

I’m not sure I wouldn’t put Mercer in the mix to get Meier. Wrong Fitz, but still lol. 

Just now, MB3 said:

Make the first a 2023 (won't be anywhere near a lottery pick) and the second a 2024 and I'd do it.  It would really depend on what they think Holtz's upside will be...Sharangovich seems to be topping out as a 20-25 goal-scorer who doesn't bring all that much else...he's more or less "defined".  No one's really sure what Holtz is yet, and I'm sure opinions vary, as far as GMs who are high on him go.  The question is would the Sharks be one of those teams intrigued by him?  

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No one's really sure what Holtz is yet, and I'm sure opinions vary, as far as GMs who are high on him go.  The question is would the Sharks be one of those teams intrigued by him?  

You’d have to think the idea of reuniting Holtz and Eklund would be intriguing. 

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

You’d have to think the idea of reuniting Holtz and Eklund would be intriguing. 

oh i forgot about that connection. You have something there...

plus its a great story to reunite guys on both sides.

Its like..... the Devils has E.T. and Batman and the Sharks has Elliott and Robin.... DO THE TRADE. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

oh i forgot about that connection. You have something there...

plus its a great story to reunite guys on both sides.

Its like..... the Devils has E.T. and Batman and the Sharks has Elliott and Robin.... DO THE TRADE. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

I agree, no, I don’t know if I want to keep ET or Batman. These are the tough choices.

I feel like Niko has to be ET, because he kind of looks like him.

Edited by mfitz804

Man i'd fvcking love to land Meier. I liked him for a very long time. Saw him play around here quite a bit when he played for Halifax, he and Ehlers were fvcking deadly that year.

That's another connection that Nico and Ehlers have too. They played for the same junior team in the Q.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Soooo Holtz and a pick might be a realistic bounty?

yeah seriously.

If we can trade Holtz + wtv pick for Meier. I'd do it 10 times out of 10 without blinking.

Honestly a recent 7th overall pick who has chemistry with one of their top prospects already? come on

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 4

On 32 thoughts, Elliott mentioned early that Towes market is around a 2nd or 3rd rounder based on what he’s hearing. Makes sense considering it’s gonna take a team with $10.5 in cap to move him.

he also mentioned us when talking about Horvat. Not necessarily that we’re in on Horvat specifically but that we’re looking (I think that’s what he said). It’s a long pod, 2+ hours, and my run was only 30 min

4 hours ago, jagknife said:

On 32 thoughts, Elliott mentioned early that Towes market is around a 2nd or 3rd rounder based on what he’s hearing. Makes sense considering it’s gonna take a team with $10.5 in cap to move him.

he also mentioned us when talking about Horvat. Not necessarily that we’re in on Horvat specifically but that we’re looking (I think that’s what he said). It’s a long pod, 2+ hours, and my run was only 30 min

I heard Fridge talking about the Kane situation as well and he suggested that Kane might not get moved this year if he is slow due to an injury. The team would likely shut him down, have him get the injury sorted, then try to deal him the following year (assuming he'd do them the solid of signing a 1 yr deal) instead when his production is better...and if it doesn't work our he retires a Blackhawk instead so nbd. I'd def prefer any of that to him getting moved to the rags. Kane even operating at just 75% is still a scary prospect.

Edited by NJDevils1214

16 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I heard Fridge talking about the Kane situation as well and he suggested that Kane might not get moved this year if he is slow due to an injury. The team would likely shut him down, have him get the injury sorted, then try to deal him the following year (assuming he'd do them the solid of signing a 1 yr deal) instead when his production is better...and if it doesn't work our he retires a Blackhawk instead so nbd. I'd def prefer any of that to him getting moved to the rags. Kane even operating at just 75% is still a scary prospect.

I’d much rather them get an over the hill Kane than land (and extend) Meier though. Or better yet…

image.gif.74e8dad55413b3752dfc8ef913a4bc50.gif

Sounds like the Devils, Rags, and Canes are the most connected to the Timo rumors right now. I really hope Fitz can get it done. Not only is he exactly what we need, but it would keep him away from the Rags, and the team we’re chasing for 1st place. 

• Like 1