Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

This Pacioretty injury could really hurt us if we are chasing Meier. It takes 7 million off of Carolinas cap and opens up a need for them to chase a wing. I’d really like him but I hope the price doesn’t get driven up to much. 

Yeah that does seem like a concern. 

On 1/18/2023 at 9:06 PM, NJDevils1214 said:

Adding Johnsson to any trade is a negative for NJ. They'd have to pay for someone to take him, not the other way around.

A potential playoff team looking to solidify their bottom 6 for a playoff push is going to pay for a vet like Henrique. He's got another contract year and most serious contenders are going to need salary retained. He could fetch more than people think for ANA.

It's doubtful someone will take a chance on Johnsson, but a flailing team like Anaheim would do it just to take on some salary. Johnsson is not exactly cheap for what he brings. 

I think you could get a rebuild team to take a chance on him in that scenario. A team like ANA,CHI, or VAN. 

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

TIL Claude Lemieux is Timo Meier’s agent…

Saw that, did not know that until today.  

Cap space plays a big role in whomever we try to pick up. It almost has to be $$ in  $$ out.  If Timo has a qualifying offer of 10 mil? Why would he go anywhere else for say 8 mil?  I realize every player wants to play on a winner, but that's a lot of $$ to stay put  in SJ. JVR (if Flyers pick up 1/2 his cap hit) might be interesting. Rico would be nice too but then again almost 6 mil next year? I think Fitz's going to want youth back.  We have some depth, maybe they'll draw interest.

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

TIL Claude Lemieux is Timo Meier’s agent…

I want fitz to push for him bad, could you imagine him on Hughes wing.. forget it. 2023 1st rounder, holtz, sharagovich and maybe another pick or prospect for a locked up Meier. Get it done. And then go get Domi for a 4th round pick to add that grit we are going to need come post season 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I want fitz to push for him bad, could you imagine him on Hughes wing.. forget it. 2023 1st rounder, holtz, sharagovich and maybe another pick or prospect for a locked up Meier. Get it done. And then go get Domi for a 4th round pick to add that grit we are going to need come post season 

As long as the Devils can extend him I make that deal.  The first-rounder is going to be in the bottom half, Sharangovich has been invisible for much of this season, and Holtz doesn’t look close to being ready.  Not sure who the other prospect would be…I could see them asking for Casey or Muk.  They aren’t getting Nemec or L Hughes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I've been a pretty big Meier fan for some time. I actually didn't realize he was potentially available or on the market - the fact that he is, and we have cash to play with, makes me want the front office to push for him badly as well.  I think you're absolutely right - it would be awesome to have him on Hughes' wing.  We need to get Haula off his line ASAP. 

I'd totally be willing to part with Sharangovich and a first - I doubt that gets it done, probably need to add Holtz like you mentioned, which would kind of suck to lose, but Meier is a prove winger and can help us win now.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As long as the Devils can extend him I make that deal.  The first-rounder is going to be in the bottom half, Sharangovich has been invisible for much of this season, and Holtz doesn’t look close to being ready.  Not sure who the other prospect would be…I could see them asking for Casey or Muk.  They aren’t getting Nemec or L Hughes.

From what I hear about Casey I wouldn’t want to move him.. but you have to give to get. I don’t think anything would even be in much motion prior to the All star game anyway since he is SJs guy that’s going. We’ll never know, but have to hope we are Atleast inquiring. Interesting fact, I believe their current GM was once an assistant coach here, so he is familiar with the organization and fitz. Both Meier and hischier have also played together/ know each other. 

• Like 1

Just now, 2ELIAS6 said:

From what I hear about Casey I wouldn’t want to move him.. but you have to give to get. I don’t think anything would even be in much motion prior to the All star game anyway since he is SJs guy that’s going. We’ll never know, but have to hope we are Atleast inquiring. Interesting fact, I believe their current GM was once an assistant coach here, so he is familiar with the organization and fitz. Both Meier and hischier have also played together/ know each other. 

Exactly, it’s going to cost the Devils.  But they’re getting a hell of a player back who has chemistry with Nico.  They just gotta lock him up.  And of course figure out if Bratt’s sticking around too.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I've been a pretty big Meier fan for some time. I actually didn't realize he was potentially available or on the market - the fact that he is, and we have cash to play with, makes me want the front office to push for him badly as well.  I think you're absolutely right - it would be awesome to have him on Hughes' wing.  We need to get Haula off his line ASAP. 

I'd totally be willing to part with Sharangovich and a first - I doubt that gets it done, probably need to add Holtz like you mentioned, which would kind of suck to lose, but Meier is a prove winger and can help us win now.  

Also, it’s worth realizing haula is currently on the second power play for us.. an acquisition like Meier instantly takes our PP up several notches. It could be tricky extending him not sure what the cost could end up being? But then also having to extend Bratt. Of course I want bratt back but he is becoming somewhat streaky and we need him to be firing on all cylinders if we’re going to have a chance past the first round. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Would you trade Mercer for Meier?

Man that’s a tough one…I still have a lot of hope for him.  I could definitely see San Jose saying “Hey, instead of Sharangovich, we want Mercer.”

Just now, Crisis said:

Would you trade Mercer for Meier?

Man....that's an excellent question.  I think you have to.  Mercer makes a million bucks for one more year, at which point he's probably going to be due a raise, even if it's a small one.  Meier is making 6 mil and I bet he'll fetch somewhere in the 9-10 range, if not higher.  I really think Mercer has a lot of potential and he's 5 years younger than Meier, but Meier is still on the good side of 30 by a couple years and he's a proven forward, so I think you make that deal against the unknown potential of Mercer.

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Man....that's an excellent question.  I think you have to.  Mercer makes a million bucks for one more year, at which point he's probably going to be due a raise, even if it's a small one.  Meier is making 6 mil and I bet he'll fetch somewhere in the 9-10 range, if not higher.  I really think Mercer has a lot of potential and he's 5 years younger than Meier, but Meier is still on the good side of 30 by a couple years and he's a proven forward, so I think you make that deal against the unknown potential of Mercer.

Mercer would still have to be part of a package, but I’m not sure who else I’d be willing to give up.  Mercer + 2023 1st + something else…just not sure who that other kid would be.  But giving up Mercer would be tough.

Notice I only asked the question and didn't give my opinion.  I really don't know how I would feel.  If Meier hits it off with Nico or Jack then it's easier to swallow.  But if Meier is under a ppg and Mercer hits 25-30 goals.. that sucks, because you can kinda see it coming.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Notice I only asked the question and didn't give my opinion.  I really don't know how I would feel.  If Meier hits it off with Nico or Jack then it's easier to swallow.  But if Meier is under a ppg and Mercer hits 25-30 goals.. that sucks, because you can kinda see it coming.

I definitely do NOT kid myself…if Fitz is serious about landing Meier, there’s going to be at least one piece going back the other way that will give us pause.  But gotta give to get of course.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Why would SJ, or anyone else for that matter, (if they’re dealing from a position of strength) even want Holtz?

I root hard for the kid and I know he’s young but sheesh he looks lost when he out there.

I’m looking elsewhere on Devs roster. I read today that Horvat for a 1 and Stillman, apparently his brother plays there.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Why would SJ, or anyone else for that matter, (if they’re dealing from a position of strength) even want Holtz?

I root hard for the kid and I know he’s young but sheesh he looks lost when he out there.

I’m looking elsewhere on Devs roster. I read today that Horvat for a 1 and Stillman, apparently his brother plays there.

They drafted Holtz best buddy William Eklund so the feeling is that they would take Holtz + picks. I can't remember if Eklund centered Holtz or played wing and Raymond centered them on the national team but Holtz and Eklund played on Djurgardens in the SHL together.

EDIT: Also, as others pointed out, a lot of other connections to NJ for Meier and for Grier. I think Horvat being on the market can only help NJ facilitate a better deal, but the big hangup for either would be the contract.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Man that’s a tough one…I still have a lot of hope for him.  I could definitely see San Jose saying “Hey, instead of Sharangovich, we want Mercer.”

I really like Mercer and would hate to see him go.  He reminds me of Elias for his work ethic.  However, who is the better player, I think that’s Meier.  Would I rather see Holtz and Sharan go for Meier?  Yes, without a doubt, but we have to be honest and can’t expect Grier to take spare parts and a late first round pick for Meier.  If things were flipped, we would want Luke included in a trade.

1 minute ago, Puckbuster said:

I really like Mercer and would hate to see him go.  He reminds me of Elias for his work ethic.  However, who is the better player, I think that’s Meier.  Would I rather see Holtz and Sharan go for Meier?  Yes, without a doubt, but we have to be honest and can’t expect Grier to take spare parts and a late first round pick for Meier.  If things were flipped, we would want Luke included in a trade.

Holtz isn’t spare parts though. Kid was a 7th OA pick who’s still very young (he just turned 21 yesterday). And he put up better numbers his first North American season in the AHL than many high end draft picks have recently.