Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Holtz isn’t spare parts though. Kid was a 7th OA pick who’s still very young (he just turned 21 yesterday). And he put up better numbers his first North American season in the AHL than many high end draft picks have recently. 

You are right, I am being a bit harsh in my assessment, but there is a chance he never develops to his potential.  I think a GM is going to want some security so the deal doesn’t blow up in his face and they are out of job.

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

TIL Claude Lemieux is Timo Meier’s agent…

Fitz brother is director of player personnel in sj as I know. And Grier should know Fitz well. 

Lemiex is zetterlund agent too. They have obvious connections and IF they have conversation, they would never tell about it to Nov, especially after he post it on Twitter immediately. 

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yes. 

A core of Jack, Nico, Bratt (assuming they could pay both), Meier, Palat, Dougie, Siegs, Marino, Luke, and Nemec? 

Sign me up. 

The way the negotiations "appear" to be going, I feel like Bratt isn't going to accept a dollar less than Meier if we make that move and I think Meier is going to get upper end of market value if we're trading for him.  Almost like the effect the Tavares signing had on the rest of the Leafs negotiations.  Maybe that's fine if Fitz thinks he can make that work but that seems way too Maple Leafy to me.  

10 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

From what I hear about Casey I wouldn’t want to move him.. but you have to give to get.

Casey would be a the top of my list of valuable piece to move in a trade.   Actually, any of the D-men (Ok, Muk, Bahl) not named Hughes or Nemec would be if they were more than a throw in on the deal.   The fact is, we have a really good top 4 as is and two of the highest rated D prospects in the league on their way.   It's nothing against the player but I would rather just deal from a position of strength.        

13 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

I really like Mercer and would hate to see him go.  He reminds me of Elias for his work ethic.  However, who is the better player, I think that’s Meier.  Would I rather see Holtz and Sharan go for Meier?  Yes, without a doubt, but we have to be honest and can’t expect Grier to take spare parts and a late first round pick for Meier.  If things were flipped, we would want Luke included in a trade.

I'm not expecting him to take spare parts (and keep in mind that some teams might think more highly of Holtz that we'd believe).

Put another way, I can see the Fitz offering up Sharangovich, Holtz, a first, and something else (say Clarke)...and he'd get rejected.  I'd expect the Sharks to come back with "We want Mercer and Nemec"...which of course Fitz will reject THAT.

It's where they meet in the middle (or if they CAN meet in the middle) that I'm curious to see.  There's going to be at least one young "Hasn't hit his ceiling yet" player that will hurt to see go, but the guy coming back makes the 2022-23 Devils and likely the Devils of the next few years instantly better.  That's the price that has to be paid.

I can ultimately see a package of Mercer, Casey, and this year's first.  Yes, it will hurt.  Yeah, I will hate to lose Mercer.  But the Devils hang onto both L Hughes and Nemec.  They get a forward that should pay immediate dividends and should have several prime years ahead of him.  Assuming that they will definitely sign him long-term, I make that deal if that's what it takes.  Can't hang on to ALL of your kids.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm not expecting him to take spare parts (and keep in mind that some teams might think more highly of Holtz that we'd believe).

Put another way, I can see the Fitz offering up Sharangovich, Holtz, a first, and something else (say Clarke)...and he'd get rejected.  I'd expect the Sharks to come back with "We want Mercer and Nemec"...which of course Fitz will reject THAT.

It's where they meet in the middle (or if they CAN meet in the middle) that I'm curious to see.  There's going to be at least one young "Hasn't hit his ceiling yet" player that will hurt to see go, but the guy coming back instantly makes the 2022-23 Devils and likely the Devils of the next few years instantly better.  That's the price that has to be paid.

I can ultimately see a package of Mercer, Casey, and this year's first.  Yes, it will hurt.  Yeah, I will hate to lose Mercer.  But the Devils hang onto both L Hughes and Nemec.  They get a forward that should pay immediate dividends and should have several prime years ahead of him.  Assuming that they will definitely sign him long-term, I make that deal if that's what it takes.  Can't hang on to ALL of your kids.  

I think that’s a huge overpay. According to Frank Serevalli, the Sharks would expect to get something similar to what Chicago got for DeBrincat. So you’re looking at a first and a decent young player with potential, maybe a second rounder thrown in there, too.

There’s no way we should or need to be parting with Mercer.

Edited by devlman

13 minutes ago, devlman said:

I think that’s a huge overpay. According to Frank Serevalli, the Sharks would expect to get something similar to what Chicago got for DeBrincat. So you’re looking at a first and a decent young player with potential, maybe a second rounder thrown in there, too.

Hopefully not.  Keep in mind that the first for DeBrincat was a #7OA.  Devils first-rounder won't be anywhere near that high.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

The way the negotiations "appear" to be going, I feel like Bratt isn't going to accept a dollar less than Meier if we make that move and I think Meier is going to get upper end of market value if we're trading for him.  Almost like the effect the Tavares signing had on the rest of the Leafs negotiations.  Maybe that's fine if Fitz thinks he can make that work but that seems way too Maple Leafy to me.  

Casey would be a the top of my list of valuable piece to move in a trade.   Actually, any of the D-men (Ok, Muk, Bahl) not named Hughes or Nemec would be if they were more than a throw in on the deal.   The fact is, we have a really good top 4 as is and two of the highest rated D prospects in the league on their way.   It's nothing against the player but I would rather just deal from a position of strength.        

The Leafs have 3 players making around $11 million each. I don’t really see it as a similar situation considering we have Jack and Nico on team friendly deals. They should be able to afford to pay both Timo and Bratt. Then your main window is while Luke and Nemec are on ELC. 

Wrt Casey, he might actually be an option to move to forward. Michigan did it for a game recently and he lit it up. It will be interesting to see if he gets any more chances there the rest of the season. 

The speculation is fun for Meier but I really don’t see that without a contract signed when he gets off the plane. Qualifying offer is 10 million on him I believe and someone will send that offer sheet. I think revisiting Vancouver not for boeser or horvat but for kuzmenkov. And then max domi for some grit in playoffs presuming we make it.  Price for both shouldn’t be too steep. 

Just looking at the Sharks page on Capfriendly and there could be another wrinkle in negotiations. The Sharks are currently at the max of 50 contracts. So, they would either have to send players back in a trade or trade some elsewhere for picks or a bag of pucks first.

I was pretty pessimistic about trading for Meier as his QO is $10m and there's no way the Sharks let him walk, but he's only on $6m now so an increase to $8.5 to $9m to play on a team that looks like it'll be contending for a few years might be tempting to him.

Does anyone think that DeBrincat will re-sign in Ottowa or they'll have to trade him? IF he wants to play for a team on the up, which the Sens don't seem to be right now, he might be available.

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Holtz isn’t spare parts though. Kid was a 7th OA pick who’s still very young (he just turned 21 yesterday). And he put up better numbers his first North American season in the AHL than many high end draft picks have recently. 

Not to mention Timo Meier himself at the same age, who had hockey experience in North America at the time.

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

This is a very good point. I imagine Fitz is working hard to extend Bratt before the trade deadline if a big acquisition at the deadline is his plan. The last thing we want to do is add fuel to that fire.

Edited by nessus

7 minutes ago, nessus said:

Not to mention Timo Meier himself at the same age, who had hockey experience in North America at the time.

This is a very good point. I imagine Fitz is working hard to extend Bratt before the trade deadline if a big acquisition at the deadline is his plan. The last thing we want to do is add fuel to that fire.

I agree if no deal for bratt by trade deadline and you bring in Meier and sign a deal with him could mean bratt might be out based on feeling slighted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, devlman said:

That’s what we are hoping for, but we are not the only team that is interested in Timo.   We’ve all seen teams overpay for players.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

Just looking at the Sharks page on Capfriendly and there could be another wrinkle in negotiations. The Sharks are currently at the max of 50 contracts. So, they would either have to send players back in a trade or trade some elsewhere for picks or a bag of pucks first.

I was pretty pessimistic about trading for Meier as his QO is $10m and there's no way the Sharks let him walk, but he's only on $6m now so an increase to $8.5 to $9m to play on a team that looks like it'll be contending for a few years might be tempting to him.

Does anyone think that DeBrincat will re-sign in Ottowa or they'll have to trade him? IF he wants to play for a team on the up, which the Sens don't seem to be right now, he might be available.

Maybe, that is the reason why Seravalli said two picks and a player would be enough.  However, I’ve read on their msg boards the Sharks are considering buying out Vlasic.  

12 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

I would do it. Love bratt want to keep him along with acquiring Meier but if it was 1 for 1 definitely doing it. 

I'm not in favor of that, but I can see why it's appealing because Meier brings a dimension the Devils don't have. Given a choice, I'd rather keep our player. 

Is there any indication that Meier would like to play here? Sign-and-trades are rare, but the Bruins did one last year with Hampus Lindholm.

20 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I'm not in favor of that, but I can see why it's appealing because Meier brings a dimension the Devils don't have. Given a choice, I'd rather keep our player. 

Is there any indication that Meier would like to play here? Sign-and-trades are rare, but the Bruins did one last year with Hampus Lindholm.

Mark stone on Vegas? He was traded and signed in the airport it seemed. 

38 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Define indication... Cause at the end of the day it's all just speculation. Nothing has been said flat out and last I heard Lemieux said he hadn't spoken to NJ. It's all just been rumors and connections because everyone is friends with someone else.

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Define indication... Cause at the end of the day it's all just speculation. Nothing has been said flat out and last I heard Lemieux said he hadn't spoken to NJ. It's all just been rumors and connections because everyone is friends with someone else.

Well all of the above and the obvious...he fits a need and the Devils have enough young pieces to offer in a potential swap.  But yeah who knows if it actually happens...I think Fitz is very careful when it comes to dealing off what he considers to be his top prospects...especially because there's cost savings (and flexibility) involved with ELC players.  Of course, the downside is there's development time involved...Holtz doesn't look like he's contributing consistently anytime soon.  I like Dawson a lot but he's had his (expected) ups and downs.  Jack developed quickly (he would've killed it in his third season if not for injuries), but most youngins need time.  With Meier you get a serious "right now" piece.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Negative, I would not.  I think Mercer has already shown he's prime leadership material, going to figure in the top 6 for the foreseeable future.

I mentioned this elsewhere but FWIW Frank Seravalli said the asking price is a prospect and two picks which is more than fair for a guy that's not even under contract. I don't think Mercer is on the table.

• Like 1