Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I've read in a few places that the Devils are one of the teams after Bo Horvat and I don't really get why. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, it's just that he's a top line centre and I don't recall him playing wing at all.

Yeah that makes no sense to me either.  Hardly their primary need.  

44 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Can't have too many centers, but I don't want to overpay for him via trade or contract so I'm going to assume Fitz did his due diligence and it's getting blown out of proportion or used to let Grier know he's not the only lady at the dance.

Let’s hope this is what it is. If we don’t get Meier I’ll definitely feel some disappointment, but hey, let’s look on the bright side.. we’re all kind of used to that so Atleast it won’t be a new feeling! But seriously, if it’s meant to be it’ll be .. let’s hope. This team would be extremely dangerous if they can pull this off

5 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Let’s hope this is what it is. If we don’t get Meier I’ll definitely feel some disappointment, but hey, let’s look on the bright side.. we’re all kind of used to that so Atleast it won’t be a new feeling! But seriously, if it’s meant to be it’ll be .. let’s hope. This team would be extremely dangerous if they can pull this off

If the Devils wind up with someone like Parise as their "See we did SOMETHING" primary acquisition, then I'll be pissed.  If someone pays a hefty price for Meier that I can understand Fitz being hesitant to match, OK, I can understand that.  As long as Fitz comes away with at least two solid mid-tier acquisitions that shore up needs, I'll consider that a solid deadline...say, guys like Henrique and Schenn.  They're not necessarily sexy pickups but they should help.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the Devils wind up with someone like Parise as their "See we did SOMETHING" primary acquisition, then I'll be pissed.  If someone pays a hefty price for Meier that I can understand Fitz being hesitant to match, OK, I can understand that.  As long as Fitz comes away with at least two solid mid-tier acquisitions that shore up needs, I'll consider that a solid deadline...say, guys like Henrique and Schenn.  They're not necessarily sexy pickups but they should help.  

I don't see Fitz making a move for the sake of making a move. Def not at the level of a Parise, anyway. They'll be meaningful even if it can't be a top 6 winger.

25 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't see Fitz making a move for the sake of making a move. Def not at the level of a Parise, anyway. They'll be meaningful even if it can't be a top 6 winger.

I agree, I think Parise is going the other way for what they are looking to do here. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I do think he'll make at least one mid-tier move, maybe two...and I'm not ruling out a home run-type of move (though I would expect something that big will be something long-term, and not a rental).  I only see a Parise kind of move coming if Fitz struck out everywhere else...a Plan D kind of maneuver.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I do think he'll make at least one mid-tier move, maybe two...and I'm not ruling out a home run-type of move (though I would expect something that big will be something long-term, and not a rental).  I only see a Parise kind of move coming if Fitz struck out everywhere else...a Plan D kind of maneuver.  

My expectations: Bottom pair defender, a low risk mid reward bottom 6 player and a strong push for a top 6 winger.

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

My expectations: Bottom pair defender, a low risk mid reward bottom 6 player and a strong push for a top 6 winger.

Agree on the defenseman.

Think he'll try to make a big splash for a winger, find the price too high for Meier, and pivot to a mid-tier option.

I think he may kick the tires on the backup goalie market, even if it's only for a rental.

I can see a potential "What the hell, why not?" deal for lesser forward help, in addition with the above, strictly as a rental depth move...say, a 4th or 5th for Parise.   

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree on the defenseman.

Think he'll try to make a big splash for a winger, find the price too high for Meier, and pivot to a mid-tier option.

I think he may kick the tires on the backup goalie market, even if it's only for a rental.

I can see a potential "What the hell, why not?" deal for lesser forward help, in addition with the above, strictly as a rental depth move...say, a 4th or 5th for Parise.   

Henrique or bust. I really don't see why he'd be after Parise.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree on the defenseman.

Re: backup goalie - I dunno if I see one happening, especially with how legitimately exceptional Schmid was during his stint. We might not need the insurance if Blackwood’s game goes back off a cliff, unless Bernier is really done for

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, apologies if any text seems missing/is weird as I've scraped it from the page source

Spoiler

The Devils are going to be buyers at the NHL trade deadline for the first time in a while this year. But they’re not approaching it like drunken sailors in port on a day off. There’s a measured desire to add, and if there’s an important caveat, it’s that if the Devils add in a meaningful way, they want it to be a player who’s not just being rented out for a few months. “My job is to improve the team. But my window is not one year,” Devils general manager Tom Fitzgerald told The Athletic on Thursday. “We’re a year ahead of where I think everyone thought we would be, but here we are. That doesn’t mean I’m not going to do my job and try to improve the club long-term.”

Fitzgerald is scouring the market, getting a good idea of what’s out there. But paying premium assets for a pending unrestricted free agent rental player is unlikely. Renting a depth piece? That’s possible. But for a bigger acquisition, the perfect scenario is adding a player who’ll be with the Devils past this season. “That would be great if I could do something like that, but other teams want to do the same thing,” Fitzgerald said. “In an ideal world, you’re giving up assets and bringing on a player that will grow with our core group in that age bracket.” If the Devils make a bigger splash, there’s a specific area in mind. “If it’s possible, I’d like to add a top-six winger,” Fitzgerald said candidly. “And I’d like to be able to control the player (past this season) and grow. I’d be willing to give up assets to do that, and I’ve got to know, ‘What does that look like?’”

The balancing act in that exercise, if it’s possible to get done, is the Devils still hope to sign winger Jesper Bratt to an extension as well. They need to plan for his place in the puzzle, too. That remains a top priority despite struggling in talks regarding a long-term extension last summer. “There has to be buy-in, too, from players,” Fitzgerald said of making the salary cap work over the next few seasons. “I think we’re building something pretty good here. I’ve talked to Jesper Bratt. He’s excited. “I really believe he wants to be part of it. But there has to be buy-in from everybody. But what does that look like?” That’s the multimillion dollar question when it comes to the talented Bratt, 24, who is making $5.45 million this season before becoming a restricted free agent July. 1. What Fitzgerald wants to create in New Jersey is a healthy salary-cap culture that allows the Devils to build a team that has a long-term, sustainable ability to compete and contend. He’s off to a good start with the Hischier ($7.25 million average annual value) and Hughes ($8 million AAV) long-term deals, both contracts already presenting terrific value. Fitzgerald wouldn’t say, but I’m guessing he hopes to get Bratt signed long-term somewhere in between Hughes and Hischier, AAV-wise. It’ll be a juggling act between that and trying to add another top-six winger at the trade deadline.

Though Fitzgerald wasn’t in a position to name names — that’s against NHL rules — if there’s an available player who fits that top-six winger criteria, especially when it comes to the possibility of keeping him past this season. Meier is 26 and a fit for the age group of the Devils’ core. The tricky part is he carries a $10 million qualifying offer this summer to retain his rights. Considering the Bratt situation and the cap culture the Devils want to create, could a Meier extension fit into that? One thing’s for sure: The Devils have the kind of prospects and draft picks that would fit the bill as far as the type of package the Sharks likely would be looking for. But where there’s a potential issue, aside from the number of teams that would be competing with the Devils for Meier, is with the extension number itself.
Where might Timo Meier be playing hockey come March 4 and beyond? One possible destination is New Jersey.

There’s no question in my mind that Fitzgerald, if he hasn’t already, will be talking to Sharks GM Mike Grier repeatedly between now and March 3. He’ll be kicking tires with nearly every seller. But Fitzgerald won’t lose sight of the bigger picture. They have younger players still developing, some who aren’t even in New Jersey yet. It’s been a fun season, but it’s just the beginning of things, the Devils hope. “I love where we’re at, I really do,” Fitzgerald said. “Now the fun times start, where you’re trying to put the right pieces in the locker room. “If that means going out and trading assets for a player who can grow and be part of this, hell yeah, sign me up.” He’s excited about where 21-year-olds Dawson Mercer and Alex Holtz are headed as they develop. There’s also Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec, who haven’t arrived on the NHL scene yet. “We do have good talent. We have more good talent coming,” Fitzgerald said. “It’s an exciting time for New Jersey Devils fans, I’m sure.” It was also important for the Devils to add veterans like Ondrej Palat, Erik Haula and Brendan Smith last summer to help set an example for that youth. “There were opportunities in the summer to add to our team not only on the ice but in our locker room, bringing in people who had been to the playoffs — Palat, Smith, Haula,” Fitzgerald said. “That was important to me. Because we felt these kids were on the verge of busting out.” The Devils have busted out, all right. And it might have earned them a boost at the trade deadline. If there’s a smart move to make.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

Have faith. This is an upcoming team. few pieces from being contenders. 

$$$$$$ 

They’re going to pay him, he’s not leaving. Our focus should be Meier, if we can acquire him this team will be absolutely lethal when healthy 

• Like 1

Just now, pumpkin cutter said:

We are def gettin him. Fitz isn't dumb. 

Problem is he has to want to play here and sign an extension at time of trade. Second problem is, there are others interested and making offers and some of those teams that will be looking into him will be Carolina, Buffalo etc. which could hurt us twice as bad if he goes to one of those teams 

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Problem is he has to want to play here and sign an extension at time of trade. Second problem is, there are others interested and making offers and some of those teams that will be looking into him will be Carolina, Buffalo etc. which could hurt us twice as bad if he goes to one of those teams 

timu def wants to play here. bay area is fun for a few years, but people want reality. Crap weather and close to the largest dump in the world.