Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

If you need a good laugh just go online and look at some of the trade proposals from Habs fans for Josh Anderson. Especially the Devils related ones. 

They've BEEN doing it for months now! It was laughable; now it's just sad seeing them jerk each other off in Twitter threads just talking to themselves. I feel like the Habs are now where the 2014, 2015 Devils were, maybe not THAT bad but still 

55 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

They've BEEN doing it for months now! It was laughable; now it's just sad seeing them jerk each other off in Twitter threads just talking to themselves. I feel like the Habs are now where the 2014, 2015 Devils were, maybe not THAT bad but still 

There must be something in the maple syrup up there.  Toronto fans are the same way.    

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I'm hoping the Devils are keeping an eye on DeBrincats situation in Ottowa. No sign of an extension yet, and he's an RFA at the end of the season.

I'd consider him the darkest of dark horses for the Devils but it could wind up becoming a situation where he tells Ottawa that he's not interested in sticking around, and the Sens decide to see what they can get for him.  If the Devils can't make Meier happen, maybe they at least kick the tires on DeBrincat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'd consider him the darkest of dark horses for the Devils but it could wind up becoming a situation where he tells Ottawa that he's not interested in sticking around, and the Sens decide to see what they can get for him.  If the Devils can't make Meier happen, maybe they at least kick the tires on DeBrincat.

The Sens will need to get rid of players to be able to re-sign him. Their cap situation isn't great. And yes, I know the Devils will be tight pretty soon to.

43 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

The Sens will need to get rid of players to be able to re-sign him. Their cap situation isn't great. And yes, I know the Devils will be tight pretty soon too.

They must have known that they would have to dump some money to keep him.

Devils should be OK for a few years…it’s when L Hughes and Nemec’s ELCs expire that things will start to truly get dicey.  Not that we don’t already know this but will be very interesting to see if Bratt has any interest in taking a little less or is insisting on getting every last penny.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Devils should be OK for a few years…it’s when L Hughes and Nemec’s ELCs expire that things will start to truly get dicey.  Not that we don’t already know this but will be very interesting to see if Bratt has any interest in taking a little less or is insisting on getting every last penny.

As Jack & Nico signed such reasonable deals, I was a little surprised that Bratt apparently didn't buy into that last summer. I really hope we can keep him and sign another top six winger.

23 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

As Jack & Nico signed such reasonable deals, I was a little surprised that Bratt apparently didn't buy into that last summer. I really hope we can keep him and sign another top six winger.

Honestly, you hate to lose brat, but if hes being a prick and isn’t on board at what point do you make a decision.. like would you trade bratt for Meier if theres no common ground and then try to extend Meier after you’ve acquired him? Someone asked me this the other day, its tough.. because you dont want to move bratt but if it seems like things are going to get muddy do you take a chance and then try to lock up Meier? I mean if i had to pick one or the other im taking Meier…. I dont know what you do there

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

Yeah Devils got lucky that both Jack and Nico took “instant” money…both could have easily gambled on themselves with three or four-year bridge deals, and Fitz offered each enough in AAV to make going seven years for Nico and eight years for Jack seem tempting enough for them to sign on the dotted line.  Fitz clearly won that one…both would likely have gotten more once their bridge deals would’ve expired.

Bratt is definitely in a different position…he’s been a PPG player for about 120 GP and counting since the start of last season.  Neither Jack nor Nico had been as productive at the time they signed their extensions.  And I get the feeling Bratt’s agent will look to pricier “comps” once talks heat up.  

15 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Honestly, you hate to lose brat, but if hes being a prick and isn’t on board at what point do you make a decision.. like would you trade bratt for Meier if theres no common ground and then try to extend Meier after you’ve acquired him? Someone asked me this the other day, its tough.. because you dont want to move bratt but if it seems like things are going to get muddy do you take a chance and then try to lock up Meier? I mean if i had to pick one or the other im taking Meier…. I dont know what you do there

I don't think Grier wants Bratt. If he did, he'd just keep Meier.

Ryan Novozinsky suggests a package of Sharangovich, Holtz, a 2023 protected first-rounder and one of Walsh or Foote for Meier.  I’m making that deal, as long as he’s sticking around.  

• Like 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ryan Novozinsky suggests a package of Sharangovich, Holtz, a 2023 protected first-rounder and one of Walsh or Foote for Meier.  I’m making that deal, as long as he’s sticking around.  

I'd do that. I saw rumored that an NHL player is in the asking now but not sure how reliable that is. Teams might be waiting until closer to the deadline to see if Grier comes out a bit on the price but you gotta leave time to talk to Meier so I can't imagine they'll wait until the last min.

10 minutes ago, devlman said:

If we could get away with keeping Holtz I would. But, if he is needed for a deal that includes a protected first and Sharangovich then let’s do it.

If it means not giving up Mercer or Nemec I’ll happily give them Holtz as part of the deal.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If it means not giving up Mercer or Nemec I’ll happily give them Holtz as part of the deal.

Agree, i dont want to move Mercer or nemec.. but if it came down to having to move one of them in the package for an extended Meier.. im on board, would be slightly bitter sweet. If i had to choose one, i think i move nemec with still having L.Hughes and Casey in the pipe

On 1/31/2023 at 8:42 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I don't think it's the end of the world if Fitz winds up pivoting to a guy like Henrique or a couple of mid-tier guys.  Not saying that I don't want Meier, but yeah, only one team is going to land him, and it could get to be costly.  That's why I wonder if Mercer could potentially be a part of this thing.  I pretty much assume Holtz, Casey, and this year's first-rounder are locks to go the other way in any deal for Meier.  If the Devils somehow made a deal of Sharangovich, Holtz, Casey, a first-rounder and Walsh for Meier, I'd consider that a win.  Five assets sounds like a lot, but Rango's pretty much playing his way out of the Devils' plans, and Walsh is a throw-in who the Sharks can take a look at to see if he's more than just a good AHLer...there's no room for him here.  The big gets for the Sharks are obviously Holtz, Casey, and the first-rounder.  And the big gets for the Devils are Meier and not having to give up Mercer or Nemec (L Hughes is obviously as untouchable as it gets).  You're not really giving up much off the 2022-23 Devils.  

We have to know what Timo is willing to sign for. We can't trade anyone without knowing this. I've heard the Sharks are not letting teams talk to Timo? We know he'll get paid nicely if he goes too FA. Teams trying to climb out of the cellar want to show their fans they too are serious about building back up. I think we have a good amount of prospects to choose from to make the deal that doesn't include Mercer/Nemec.maybe we can keep Holtz. 

Can we sign both Timo and Bratt? A luxury indeed!

18 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

We have to know what Timo is willing to sign for. We can't trade anyone without knowing this. I've heard the Sharks are not letting teams talk to Timo? We know he'll get paid nicely if he goes too FA. Teams trying to climb out of the cellar want to show their fans they too are serious about building back up. I think we have a good amount of prospects to choose from to make the deal that doesn't include Mercer/Nemec.maybe we can keep Holtz. 

I don’t think Fitz makes any Meier move without knowing he at least has a chance to sign him. He’s not Lou.

we’re not in our cup window but we definitely are in a “let’s try to win a round” one and Meier I think pushes the team beyond a single round win but unless it’s long term, doesn’t help us, obviously 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Well yeah no one is advocating making this kind of deal without Meier being locked up.  A rental at this point makes no sense.

12 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'd do that deal.

If SJS are taking three players on and only trading us Meier though, they'll need to get rid of two more players somehow as they're at their 50 contract limit. I'm pretty sure the Devils will need to dump about $1m in cap as well unless SJS is retaining some.

14 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Vanecek is lining himself up for a raise around that time as well. Luckily the cap should be rising but it’s sure nice to have too much talent to pay for once 

43 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I'd do that deal.

If SJS are taking three players on and only trading us Meier though, they'll need to get rid of two more players somehow as they're at their 50 contract limit. I'm pretty sure the Devils will need to dump about $1m in cap as well unless SJS is retaining some.

Yeah Sharks will have to retain some money to make it work.  Who knows, maybe they make a deal elsewhere to dump a couple of players for draft picks, and get under the limit that way.  Or the Devils deal off Severson to clear some room (I don't think that Fitz wants to do this...I think he'd much rather keep Seves and just let him walk at season's end, as he does provide some offensive insurance in case Hamilton gets hurt, even though yes, he comes with a LOT of warts).  

And yeah I've said it a bunch but what I'm trying my best to do in any deal for Meier is avoid involving Mercer or Nemec.  And if it got to a point where Mercer would almost have to be involved, I'm not giving the Sharks nearly as much in "extras".  No first rounders or Holtz.

The fact that we're all readily willing to do the deal makes me wonder if it's going to be enough.  If the Devils flat-out refuse to give up Mercer or Nemec, I'd be surprised if the Sharks didn't say "Well, at least give us Casey instead of Walsh or Foote!" 

18 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Vanecek is lining himself up for a raise around that time as well. Luckily the cap should be rising but it’s sure nice to have too much talent to pay for once 

And that will be another "OK Fitz show us what ya got!" moment, when the Devils have that first "Oh sh!t can't keep everyone!" realization.  Painful decisions gotta be made along the way.   

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I'd do that deal.

Fitz is going to have to start making decisions on if he wants to keep Blackwood and Severson on for the playoffs or if he wants to free up space for a Meier or someone else. It’s gonna be an interesting deadline for us. 

edit: unloading Tatar is also an option but I don’t see him getting much interest 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1