Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

10 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Fitz is going to have to start making decisions on if he wants to keep Blackwood and Severson on for the playoffs or if he wants to free up space for a Meier or someone else. It’s gonna be an interesting deadline for us. 

edit: unloading Tatar is also an option but I don’t see him getting much interest 

It would be kind of bitter moving severson before this season was up, i mean, i dont really see a spot for him after this season so if we can get a return for him we have to do what we have to do i guess. Blackwood, i dont have a ton of love for, i think schmid can come in and do what he does if not maybe even a little better, i dont think we’ve seen his full potential. Tatar, i feel hes been solid for us, definitely serviceable and his post season experience will be helpful come the end of April.

• Like 2

As much as I don't wanna pay the dude 5mm, I wish Coleman had come back. He's basically worth dropping Tatar and Wood to afford him anyway.

Edit:To be clear he's worth every penny right now, but at 31 his contract gets more questionable in the last two or three years.

Edited by NJDevils1214

8 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Oh man, Severson would be so pissy on twitter if we traded him to a bottom feeder.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if a fellow contender under the right circumstances inquired about him (say, should a playoff contender suffer a serious injury or two on defense and would then desperately need someone who can provide some offense).  Not saying the Devils would get a ton back for him, more that a contender that figures to eventually have injured defenseman coming back either during the playoffs (or the following season) but need someone to get by with could live with Seves as a stopgap rental, and that he may not go to a bottom feeder after all.

The other thing is why would a bottom feeder trade anything for him when then can just sign him this offseason without having to give up anything other than money?  

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 8:34 AM, Devil Dan 56 said:

Fitz is going to have to start making decisions on if he wants to keep Blackwood and Severson on for the playoffs or if he wants to free up space for a Meier or someone else. It’s gonna be an interesting deadline for us. 

edit: unloading Tatar is also an option but I don’t see him getting much interest 

I honestly think SJ is going to want budding young potential stars. They'll ask for Nemec, Hughes, Schmid, Dawes maybe Mercer. Fitz has untouchables there.  No offense, but no ones going to want Tatar. (not saying he's not a decent player) definitely not in a Meier deal.

11 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

I honestly think SJ is going to want budding young potential stars. They'll ask for Nemec, Hughes, Schmid, Dawes maybe Mercer. Fitz has untouchables there.  No offense, but no ones going to want Tatar. (not saying he's not a decent player) definitely not in a Meier deal.

I don't think DD56 was suggesting that the Sharks would want or take Tatar.  I think he was thinking the Devils might he able to offload him for a low-round pick to another team, to clear up cap space to be able to take on Meier this season...separate transaction.

Sharks are stupid if they ask for L Hughes...I doubt the Devils took Jack's bro just to trade him.  Especially since he's going to be joining the Devils soon.  Fitz won't even entertain that one.

I would expect the Sharks to ask for Nemec or Mercer as the centerpiece, for starters.  I'll expect Fitz to say no.  Then it will be guys like Holtz, Casey, their 2023 1st rounder, and some throw-in types (Walsh, Foote, etc) whose names get thrown out there.  Maybe one of the Ute goalies gets moved in such a deal.  If Fitz actually buckled into giving up either Nemec or Mercer, I'll expect that it will be a near one-for-one deal.  Maybe a mid-round pick and a throw-in also go back the other way, if that much, but more and more I think Fitz REALLY doesn't want to give either of those two up.  Especially since Nemec and L Hughes represent potentially VERY cost-effective young players.  Having those two on ELCs is huge...that's what's going to allow him to have a real shot at bringing in a guy like Meier AND being able to re-sign Bratt.  Not saying things won't be a little tighter (how long will they be able to get cheap goaltending?), but they should have a lot of talent here for 2-3 years that should also have an EXCELLENT chance to outperform their collective pay grades.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

Yeah as CR76 said, I meant dumping  Tatar/Severson/Blackwood to whoever for cap space, not to SJ for Meier 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

The Rags going after Timo rumors are really heating up. I swear - I will not be able to handle him going there, and then potentially drawing them in the 1st round. That sounds like some kind of horrific T2 type future that Fitz must prevent at all costs. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The Rags going after Timo rumors are really heating up. I swear - I will not be able to handle him going there, and then potentially drawing them in the 1st round. That sounds like some kind of horrific T2 type future that Fitz must prevent at all costs. 

If they do I hope they sign him for 12mm a year and have to nuke the team in the next 5 years because they've failed to build properly...again....but who am I kidding, someone would bail them out.

Heard there may be a stalemate between Yzerman and Larkin.  I could definitely see the Rangers looking there instead.  Cheaper and they need centers.

That being said, I head on a 32 Thoughts interview that Larkin hangs with the Hughes brothers over the summer.  He would make one helluva 3C.

• Like 1

The team to watch if you want to fear about Timo going elsewhere is not the Rangers, it's Carolina I think, but I also think the Devils have the right assets plus a good future cap projection to get the deal done if they want to.

The NY team is not in a good shape with the cap and I just don't see them making that trade where they give up one of their 2 lotto not there yet players plus one of their top players not in the NHL when they don't have a clear way to sign Meier to a long term deal without moving a player making lots of money currently on the team.

I don't see a scenario where they make a big trade for a player to only trade him again when his big RFA contract is do, so you're looking at who would they trade who has a big contract, and no I don't see another team wanting the defenseman who sucks and tries to injure everyone. I also don't see anyone being interested in the Russian who has never done anything in the playoffs and is has one of the biggest contracts in the sport.

Carolina I don't know their contract stuff that well but I know they have a great system so if there cap is not awful I would be worried about them more than 1 cup in 82 years team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

The team to watch if you want to fear about Timo going elsewhere is not the Rangers, it's Carolina I think, but I also think the Devils have the right assets plus a good future cap projection to get the deal done if they want to.

The NY team is not in a good shape with the cap and I just don't see them making that trade where they give up one of their 2 lotto not there yet players plus one of their top players not in the NHL when they don't have a clear way to sign Meier to a long term deal without moving a player making lots of money currently on the team.

I don't see a scenario where they make a big trade for a player to only trade him again when his big RFA contract is do, so you're looking at who would they trade who has a big contract, and no I don't see another team wanting the defenseman who sucks and tries to injure everyone. I also don't see anyone being interested in the Russian who has never done anything in the playoffs and is has one of the biggest contracts in the sport.

Carolina I don't know their contract stuff that well but I know they have a great system so if there cap is not awful I would be worried about them more than 1 cup in 82 years team.

I think Carolina is definitely the team to worry about. The loss of Pacioretty gives them a pressing need and the cap space to chase Meier. I’m not sure about their prospect pool though

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

Carolina has moved Pacioretty to LTIR and has about $10m in cap space. I can definitely see them going for Meier.

24 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Carolina has moved Pacioretty to LTIR and has about $10m in cap space. I can definitely see them going for Meier.

Carolina is definitely going all in.  They’re in the middle of their window.  I can’t imagine management will allow an injury to derail their season.

Also, as much as, we want Fitz to make a big move, I don’t think he is ready to go all in yet. I think he is going after depth scoring and bottom 4 defense.

I fear Carolina, but remember Meier has lots of leverage here, if he makes it known he would prefer NJ, that's a big thing, of course we don't know if that is true, but it does not hurt that he and Nico are close.

He of course is not on his last year, but only having one more season to go before he is totally free does give him power just like the schmuck used in Calgary to get to Florida.

I still think that the Devils are in the best position to get Timo when you add in all the factors my other post was more about the NY team not being the team we should look out for in going all out for him.

The other thing not talked about is the GM of SJ is very familiar with the Devils, if you want to talk about someone like Zetterland or one of the Utica/NJ defenseman being someone Grier might like more than some other teams 3 or 4th player in a deal.

Edited by Patrick Sundstrom Ghost

11 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Last night the Sharks traded Megna to the Kraken for a pick, looks like they are freeing up some space to take on contracts.  They're still at 49/50 right now.

Yeah they’re obviously prepping for the inevitable Meier trade.  Just a question of where he winds up.  

I hate to mention it but does anyone here really think the Devils will get him?  Carolina just freed up space with Pacioretty and the Rangers would always luck out over the Devils when it comes to the two battling out over a player.  You think Nico having a relationship with Timo makes any difference?  Hate having to ask but since when do the Devils ever get lucky with something like this?  Sorry, I’m just extremely bitter at the thought that TF stated he’s looking for a top 6 winger and will end up with something like a fvcking Ryan O’Reilly or even Tarasenko, wouldn’t want either, fvck off, sorry, I’m pissed and just venting.  Now if someone can make a good argument or give any hope that the Devils have an actual chance of getting him please state otherwise.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

I hate to mention it but does anyone here really think the Devils will get him?  Carolina just freed up space with Pacioretty and the Rangers would always luck out over the Devils when it comes to the two battling out over a player.  You think Nico having a relationship with Timo makes any difference?  Hate having to ask but since when do the Devils ever get lucky with something like this?  Sorry, I’m just extremely bitter at the thought that TF stated he’s looking for a top 6 winger and will end up with something like a fvcking Ryan O’Reilly or even Tarasenko, wouldn’t want either, fvck off, sorry, I’m pissed and just venting.  Now if someone can make a good argument or give any hope that the Devils have an actual chance of getting him please state otherwise.

I think we have a chance sure. If rangers do get involved that’s always a problem but if it was between us and Carolina that’s where I believe the Nico factor would show up and give us the edge over them. Honestly I would love to get Meier but part of me thinks a duo of players such as boeser and buchnevich out of St. Louis would help us more because the cost won’t be a top end prospect for either I don’t think. I could be wrong though. 

Sucks that it sounds like he's going to the Metro no matter what at this point, unless some darkhorse team like Vegas comes out of the woodwork.

Torn - on one hand, I hope Fitz tops any offer the Rangers put out there.  On the other, if that means putting a player like Nemec on the table.. no thanks.

God damn Rangers.

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Sucks that it sounds like he's going to the Metro no matter what at this point, unless some darkhorse team like Vegas comes out of the woodwork.

Torn - on one hand, I hope Fitz tops any offer the Rangers put out there.  On the other, if that means putting a player like Nemec on the table.. no thanks.

God damn Rangers.

Yeah definitely wouldn’t be thrilled if nemec goes.