Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

9 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

I hate to mention it but does anyone here really think the Devils will get him?  Carolina just freed up space with Pacioretty and the Rangers would always luck out over the Devils when it comes to the two battling out over a player.  You think Nico having a relationship with Timo makes any difference?  Hate having to ask but since when do the Devils ever get lucky with something like this?  Sorry, I’m just extremely bitter at the thought that TF stated he’s looking for a top 6 winger and will end up with something like a fvcking Ryan O’Reilly or even Tarasenko, wouldn’t want either, fvck off, sorry, I’m pissed and just venting.  Now if someone can make a good argument or give any hope that the Devils have an actual chance of getting him please state otherwise.

I have no idea where he'll end up.  I can't see how the Devils aren't heavily in the mix, if Fitz really wants him...Fitz can put together the right kind of package to snag him and though they'll become a little top-heavy, they can extend him long-term.

At any rate, I can't go right into negative territory without seeing what happens first.

How much are YOU willing to give up to get Meier?  If some combo of Sharangovich/Holtz/Casey/1st-rounder/meh-ish throw-in Ute prospect doesn't get it done, are you willing to put either Mercer or Nemec on the table, if that's what it takes?  If Carolina's offer is so good that Mercer or Nemec is the only way to better the Canes?  That's where I suspect Fitz is going to draw the line.  I've already said it but I think the ONLY way he even begins to consider dealing one of them is if the trade becomes damned near one-for-one...basically, Mercer or Nemec, 3rd-round pick, Ute throw-in, that's it.  And even then I don't think he really wants to make that kind of move.     

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I have no idea where he'll end up.  I can't see how the Devils aren't heavily in the mix, if Fitz really wants him...Fitz can put together the right kind of package to snag him and though they'll become a little top-heavy, they can extend him long-term.

At any rate, I can't go right into negative territory without seeing what happens first.

How much are YOU willing to give up to get Meier?  If some combo of Sharangovich/Holtz/Casey/1st-rounder/meh-ish throw-in Ute prospect doesn't get it done, are you willing to put either Mercer or Nemec on the table, if that's what it takes?  If Carolina's offer is so good that Mercer or Nemec is the only way to better the Canes?  That's where I suspect Fitz is going to draw the line.  I've already said it but I think the ONLY way he even begins to consider dealing one of them is if the trade becomes damned near one-for-one...basically, Mercer or Nemec, 3rd-round pick, Ute throw-in, that's it.  And even then I don't think he really wants to make that kind of move.     

Yeah def don’t want to give up Nemec or Mercer but if TF is adamant on stating he wants a top 6 winger than there aren’t many more options out there.  I looked yesterday at the available potential list and didn’t see many other options other than Timo as someone who will make a difference.  Really don’t want Tarasenko and sure as fvck wouldn’t be willing to pretty much do anything for him either than a one for one.

A top 6 winger is what they need.  Not getting anywhere near the stable production that they need from the current 3rd line.  Yegor needs to show up on the score sheet with a lot more consistency so something’s gotta give.

15 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Yeah def don’t want to give up Nemec or Mercer but if TF is adamant on stating he wants a top 6 winger than there aren’t many more options out there.  I looked yesterday at the available potential list and didn’t see many other options other than Timo as someone who will make a difference.  Really don’t want Tarasenko and sure as fvck wouldn’t be willing to pretty much do anything for him either than a one for one.

A top 6 winger is what they need.  Not getting anywhere near the stable production that they need from the current 3rd line.  Yegor needs to show up on the score sheet with a lot more consistency so something’s gotta give.

Without question...sucks in that you'd like to think the Devils have a future one in Holtz, but I have no faith that he's going to become that, which is why I'm plenty willing to move him in any Meier deal.  But of course the Sharks have to feel like he'll become a consistent goal-scorer in time.

I think Yegor's peaked here...as in "Way too inconsistent to ever count on".  3 G and 5 A in his last 26 GP...and only 34 SOG.  That is just not nearly good enough.   

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Without question...sucks in that you'd like to think the Devils have a future one in Holtz, but I have no faith that he's going to become that, which is why I'm plenty willing to move him in any Meier deal.  But of course the Sharks have to feel like he'll become a consistent goal-scorer in time.

I think Yegor's peaked here...as in "Way too inconsistent to ever count on".  3 G and 5 A in his last 26 GP...and only 34 SOG.  That is just not nearly good enough.   

One thing I always say is I’m sure it’s not that easy to score in the nhl, you have to fight for the puck, be in the right position and place it in a spot the goalie can’t get to, in addition to potentially needing it to get through a screen or potential defenders.  However the reliable scorers always seem to find a way.  So what is it that he’s not doing which is preventing him from scoring?  It’s not only him either.  Would even like to see Mercer score a lot more.  Mercer certainly has more speed and much better movement than Yegor.  Need a lot more consistency up and down the lineup.

I have no doubt in my mind that any team rumored to be in the mix can put together a trade Grier will accept. End of the day it is going to come down to whoever Meier wants to sign the deal with. Maybe he could agree to two identical deals and give Grier the option but I doubt he wouldn't keep control of where he lands if he has it.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the deal was Nemec and little else other than cap dumps, to even out the salaries, going to San Jose, I would give serious thought to it.  We already have 3 really good top 4 D locked up long term and I have no doubt Luke will become a 4th.   We have numerous D prospects that should be able help fill the 3rd pair at low salary over the next few years.   We could even sign Graves if he’s being reasonable  as a bridge guy to fill 2nd pair until Hughes is ready.   He’s someone I think you could move later on.  

Basically we would be trading from a long term position of strength for a guy who seems tailor made to address the big clubs biggest need.  

Again, this assumes that SJ isn’t asking more.   In this scenario, we’re holding onto Holtz, Mercer, Sharagovich and our 1st round pick as low cost depth.  

Edited by Lateralous

13 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

If the deal was Nemec and little else other than cap dumps, to even out the salaries, going to San Jose, I would give serious thought to it.  We already have 3 really good top 4 D locked up long term and I have no doubt Luke will become a 4th.   We have numerous D prospects that should be able help fill the 3rd pair at low salary over the next few years.   We could even sign Graves if he’s being reasonable  as a bridge guy to fill 2nd pair until Hughes is ready.   He’s someone I think you could move later on.  

Basically we would be trading from a long term position of strength for a guy who seems tailor made to address the big clubs biggest need.  

Again, this assumes that SJ isn’t asking more.   In this scenario, we’re holding onto Holtz, Mercer, Sharagovich and our 1st round pick as low cost depth.  

FWIW, Devils would also be hanging on to Casey in this scenario.

I can see one of those “current” Top 3 (well, one of Marino or Siegs) sliding down to the bottom pair, if Nemec is still here…maybe not right away, but in time.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I’d be very, very weary of trading Nemec. Stud defensemen are way harder to come by than top wingers. Just look at the difference of how we acquired Hall as opposed to Hamilton. The former cost us a good - albeit not great player, the latter we had to break the bank for. That’s part of the reason I’d rather include Mercer (or ideally Holtz) as the main piece if we have to give up someone we really don’t want to. 

24 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’d be very, very weary of trading Nemec. Stud defensemen are way harder to come by than top wingers. Just look at the difference of how we acquired Hall as opposed to Hamilton. The former cost us a good - albeit not great player, the latter we had to break the bank for. That’s part of the reason I’d rather include Mercer (or ideally Holtz) as the main piece if we have to give up someone we really don’t want to. 

Hall's not a great case to site mostly because that was universally seen as an almost colossally ridiculous "WTF?!" kind of move made by Chiarelli.

But I agree, you almost can't have too many potential future studs on D.  Especially since it's not like everyone currently on the team is a lock to stay healthy or keep up their current level of play...Marino missed a batch of games already this year.  If anything the Devils could eventually potentially have as stacked of a D-corp as there is, with the "bottom" pair getting more minutes than most bottom pairs.

I'd rathe see Holtz and/or Casey go in any "prospect for right now player" deals, but obviously it depends if the team making the deal wants those players.    

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hall's not a great case to site mostly because that was universally seen as an almost colossally ridiculous "WTF?!" kind of move made by Chiarelli.

At the time sure, but look at Hall since he left NJ. That trade doesn’t look nearly as bad in retrospect. I can also point to other examples of teams landing top line forwards for unspectacular returns (Duchene, Zibanejad, Panarin, etc). Not sure there’s too many cases like that with stud dmen. They tend to get moved far less often, and when they do it’s way more costly. 

30 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

At the time sure, but look at Hall since he left NJ. That trade doesn’t look nearly as bad in retrospect. I can also point to other examples of teams landing top line forwards for unspectacular returns (Duchene, Zibanejad, Panarin, etc). Not sure there’s too many cases like that with stud dmen. They tend to get moved far less often, and when they do it’s way more costly. 

Hall did have one memorably terrific year of course...but yeah, with the exception of that season, it's mostly been hoping for Taylor Hall to live up to what the promise of Taylor Hall is supposed to be...and because of 2017-18 (and being over a PPG in 2018-19 in limited action), I don't think anyone knew for sure what exactly that was.  Now I think it's "OK, he's a solid complementary offensive player who can get you 60 points or so."

And obviously the Bruins piling up wins allows strugging players to fly under the radar, but wow has he been quiet lately...2 G and 3 A over his last 20 GP.

I'd have to look up individual cases, but going off the top of my head, in recent seasons it seems like big-time defensemen become available when they're about to be up for a new deal (like Erik Karlsson).  Or when they either have limited prime years left or are just starting to decline.

Kinda crazy that Dougie's on his 4th team already, if you think about it...but also fair to point out that it wasn't until his Age 26 season that his offensive contributions went up a notch.  Since that season he's averaging 15 points more per 82 GP than he was in the four seasons prior.  And of course as much I as like him, I can't pretend that he doesn't have some Damon-like moments (fortunately not nearly as many, and with a lot of more offense).  

• Like 1

My thoughts on Meier are that Fitz will avoid trading Nemec, and Luke (obviously), but any other prospect in the system + draft pick is on the table. I really believe the organization loves Mercer too much and sees him as too much of a part of the future of the team to trade him. The price of Meier might be too high if that's the case, and if so, not much you can do. I do still think they have the pieces to get it done, though. Prospects/young players in Holtz, Casey, Mukhamadullin, and Gritsyuk are all very solid pieces. Add in any number of draft picks, and I Think you can find the value there. I don't know if there are any tradable roster players that move the needle much (Sharangovich?).

If the Blues are sellers, Buchnevich should be the next target, and significantly cheaper. Obviously would much rather have Meier, but I don't want the Devils to turn into a team that gets their superstars, but ends up top heavy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ajsgolf said:

One thing I always say is I’m sure it’s not that easy to score in the nhl, you have to fight for the puck, be in the right position and place it in a spot the goalie can’t get to, in addition to potentially needing it to get through a screen or potential defenders.  However the reliable scorers always seem to find a way.  So what is it that he’s not doing which is preventing him from scoring?  It’s not only him either.  Would even like to see Mercer score a lot more.  Mercer certainly has more speed and much better movement than Yegor.  Need a lot more consistency up and down the lineup.

The one thing that true goal-scorers are able to do is to pile up shots on goal...Palms could run hot-and-cold during his good seasons here, as we all know, but when he was slumping, he was still shooting away...you knew eventually they'd start to go in for him again...not saying that Palms was some beastly scorer, but he did average right around 30 G per 82 GP over a 5-season stretch as a Devil (on 2.66 shots per game, with a plenty good 13.2 shooting%).

What's concerning about Rango is that his SOG are basically completely drying up before our very eyes...part of that is due to reduced ice time, but then again his ice time has been reduced for a reason.  He's only managed 21 SOG over his last 19 GP...in 14 of those games, he's managed just one SOG or less...that is DEEPLY alarming, because you have no chance to snap out of a goal-scoring funk if you can't generate scoring chances with any real volume.  It would be one thing if he was getting the chances and simply not burying them...he has shown the ability to bury the chances that he does get (14.1 career shooting%)...hell, over these 19 games, he's shooting 14.3%...but when you're only putting up 21 shots, that's why he only has 3 goals over that span.  Something is very wrong...this is a player who from 12/29/21 through the end of the 2021-22 season (49 games) piled up 123 shots and scored 20 goals.  He looks NOTHING like that player right now.  

4 minutes ago, nessus said:

My thoughts on Meier are that Fitz will avoid trading Nemec, and Luke (obviously), but any other prospect in the system + draft pick is on the table. I really believe the organization loves Mercer too much and sees him as too much of a part of the future of the team to trade him. The price of Meier might be too high if that's the case, and if so, not much you can do. I do still think they have the pieces to get it done, though. Prospects/young players in Holtz, Casey, Mukhamadullin, and Gritsyuk are all very solid pieces. Add in any number of draft picks, and I Think you can find the value there. I don't know if there are any tradable roster players that move the needle much (Sharangovich?).

If the Blues are sellers, Buchnevich should be the next target, and significantly cheaper. Obviously would much rather have Meier, but I don't want the Devils to turn into a team that gets their superstars, but ends up top heavy.

Yeah it's easy to forget about some of the "out of sight, out of mind" names.  Stillman's around too, though not going to pretend that I have any idea how much interest there is in him.

I've gone over Rango's numbers...he's quickly reaching "reclamation project" status.  But Beauvillier was somehow enough to be the NHLer packaged in the Horvat deal, so who knows?  

All I know is if somehow Fitz pulls off something close to Sharangovich, Holtz, 1st-rounder, and a meh-ish Ute or two for Meier, I'm going to feel like he won big-time.  Sub in Casey, Muk or Gritsyuk instead of a Ute and I'm still feeling like he did a good job.  

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I don't totally disagree with you but I think it's important to point out the Nemec is only a "potential" stud defenseman while Meier (and Hall at time of trade) is a NHL stud winger.  There's a good chance Nemec is never any better than Larsson at the NHL level and we all thought that D-man for winger trade was an absolute heist. 

Obviously I'm all for a Holtz, Casey + 1st type of move but should the Sharks be looking for more, which I suspect they are, I would rather see Nemec moved than something like Mercer++ because I think we still need quality depth up front way more than on D given the other team controlled assets.       

I am sorry, but Nemec should never be traded for Meier, like period ever...

If the Devils do that they are telling you they made a mistake and they no longer believe in him.

Go look at what he is doing as a 18 year old in the AHL, it's not happening.

Oh and if Nemec loses all his offensive talents tomorrow and becomes Larsson, guess what, you still take that.

He and Hughes together will help this team eat up 40 minutes a game, if he only plays defense that's still a huge plus.

This is not even getting to the massive money situation that having two young defenseman making no money for the next 3 or 4 years does to the entire team and the benefits of that.

Oh and I keep seeing Mercer thrown in here as well, and if I can help it I am not trading him, but if that is the main piece of the deal, then Holtz is no longer in the deal, then go ahead SJ you ger Mercer and scraps plus a pick.

Edited by Patrick Sundstrom Ghost
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I don't totally disagree with you but I think it's important to point out the Nemec is only a "potential" stud defenseman while Meier (and Hall at time of trade) is a NHL stud winger.  There's a good chance Nemec is never any better than Larsson at the NHL level and we all thought that D-man for winger trade was an absolute heist. 

Idk about “good chance.” He’s a better prospect than Larsson was, and the kid’s most common player comp is Victor Hedman.  Him and Jiricek both looked pretty special to me at the WJC. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Idk about “good chance.” He’s a better prospect than Larsson was, and the kid’s most common player comp is Victor Hedman.  Him and Jiricek both looked pretty special to me at the WJC. 

Beating a dead horse here, but... Nemec should be on the 100% untouchables list.

• Like 1

I think Grier is going to want Miller as a starter from Rag$.  The same way we feel about losing Mercer.  Why haven't we heard anything about Kevin Leblanc? (a NJ native)  Also, T. Bertuzzi ? Maybe he's a head case? I know he hasn't done much since he returned from injury. Buchnevic from St. Louis? Wonder if JVR is on the table? (Philly retaining half his salary) If Canes are in on Meier, will they need to off load $$?

Folks, I'd be OK if we didn't do much of anything? 

• Like 1

Q: Does Meier make us a contender this year?

Honestly, not too high on Meier, especially if we have to mortgage some of our future. I think a 2nd or 3rd round pick and a good prospect at most. After that, it should be a conditional 1st rounder if Timo signs long term (not QO).

Personally, would like to get another stud d-man if possible, I think that would be the most beneficial. Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nessus said:

I just don’t see Grier giving up Meier for Holtz, Sharangovich and a first round pick.  Holtz is in the press box and Sharangovich is too inconsistent.  

I do like the idea of targeting Buchnevich.  He’s under contract through the 2024-25 season at $5.8M.

Yes, Meier would be better, but I think Grier will want more.

• Like 1