Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

If it comes down to Mercer or Nemec for Meier, I think I would say no thank you to SJ.  You can't trade away a 2oa defenseman like that.  And Mercer is the perfect plan B in case, god forbid, anything happens to Nico or Jack in the next few years.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

Does Vrana deserve a chance?  If the Red Wings are looking to trade or buyout his contract, is it something worth considering?  I’m not sure if Vrana mentioned in this thread.

Problem with him is if you acquire him, you're also buying the $4.125m risk for next season too.

He'd absolutely deserving of a second chance in the league, I just don't think we're the team for him

7 hours ago, jagknife said:

Problem with him is if you acquire him, you're also buying the $4.125m risk for next season too.

He'd absolutely deserving of a second chance in the league, I just don't think we're the team for him

Maybe, the upside is much greater than the risk.  Although, we don’t know what his issue was or is and whether he overcame it.  He is a scorer and will be cheap if he plays to his potential.  Does anyone know why he went for help?  Was is substance abuse, alcohol or mental illness?  

Timo Meier is playing great currently, the price might be higher than we all want, but he really could be the missing link to make this offense a total beast, well at least the first two lines.

I think we might be looking at Holtz, Casey, another legit prospect and current roster member I will get to, plus a 1 and Johnsson to get rid of salary with probably another second or 3rd rounder in a future draft.

I don't think they will want a guy like Sharo because he will need a deal, so I am thinking Zetterland is more likely as he will be cheaper for SJ to pay.

I don't know who that 3rd prospect will be, I was thinking if SJ did not have any good goalie prospects that a kid like Dawes might be tempting, but if they do have a young goalie we might be looking at either one of Bahl or Okhotiuk.

If they have to dig even deeper and they don't want one of those 2 d, then you will probably have to put in Mook.

Of course the Devils could offer Mercer, but I don't think they want to do that, and if they had to, that would lessen the haul SJ gets greatly.

Ruff put Zetterlund in Haula's spot seemingly out of nowhere so I'm wondering if that's to showcase him.  I wonder if Holtz, Zetterlund, and a 1st can get it done.  I know it feels a little on the low side but I don't think the Sharks are looking to (or can) take on a bunch of contracts so it could be limited to 2 or maaaybe 3 players.  If you nix Mercer, Hughes and Nemec from the deal (which they absolutely should), what other young players have that much value?  The idea of a Holtz-Eklund-Zetterlund line is a pretty interesting one.

18 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Ruff put Zetterlund in Haula's spot seemingly out of nowhere so I'm wondering if that's to showcase him.  I wonder if Holtz, Zetterlund, and a 1st can get it done.  I know it feels a little on the low side but I don't think the Sharks are looking to (or can) take on a bunch of contracts so it could be limited to 2 or maaaybe 3 players.  If you nix Mercer, Hughes and Nemec from the deal (which they absolutely should), what other young players have that much value?  The idea of a Holtz-Eklund-Zetterlund line is a pretty interesting one.

I doubt that’s the reason. Zetterlund was on Nico’s wing a bunch too earlier in the season so I wouldn’t really say it’s out of nowhere. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I doubt that’s the reason. Zetterlund was on Nico’s wing a bunch too earlier in the season so I wouldn’t really say it’s out of nowhere. 

When Palat was out, yeah.  I mean, it could also be because Bastian is back but he was also scratched a number of games.  It's just worth noting that it's happening now, a few weeks before the deadline and not when it was pretty clear that Haula had no business being on Jack's wing.

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Man if I’m a Sharks fan and THAT’S the return then I am PISSED.  I’d have to at least get Casey too…if not that, a second-rounder and maybe another (lower) pick.

Hard to imagine that another team couldn’t trump a Holtz-Zetterlund-first round offer.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Man if I’m a Sharks fan and THAT’S the return then I am PISSED.  I’d have to at least get Casey too…if not that, a second-rounder and maybe another (lower) pick.

Hard to imagine that another team couldn’t trump a Holtz-Zetterlund-first round offer.  

The problem is the number of contracts.  Unless the Sharks dump another, they can't take on 3 players.  They're already at 49/50.  If they send Meier and get 2 back, they are at 50 and no teams want that lack of flexibility.  There are only 4 teams at 49 right now. 

If they trade Meier and an AHL player, they are still probably only looking to get 2 roster players back.  Holtz and Shara?  I think Zetterlund is more useful than him for a rebuilding team.  Who else are you sending in Zetterlund's place that the Sharks would be interested in.  Someone young obviously.

Luke - no
Nemec - no
Mercer - no
Holtz - yes
Zetterlund - maybe
Casey - maybe
Muk - maybe
Bahl - maybe
Gritsyuk - probably not
Okhotyuk - probably not
Stillman - probably not

I agree it seems low so maybe another pick does it.  But I can't realistically come up with another contract that they would see value in that isn't one of those top 3.  Maybe they value a defender more and you throw Casey or Muk instead, but they are unknowns at this point.  The number of contracts they have can potentially fvck them (or us) when it comes to making a deal.

On 2/7/2023 at 6:30 AM, jagknife said:

Really talented guy. But he's been in player rehab this year. Not sure what that's about, but maybe why not one team claimed himoff waivers?

Just over 3 weeks before the trade deadline.  As everyone here already knows it’s in my nature, but also truly believe, that the Devils are either going to do nothing or get someone who won’t make the slightest difference with improving the team before the playoff push.  Anyone along with me in my thinking or are you trying to remain positive, something I rarely do?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Just over 3 weeks before the trade deadline.  As everyone here already knows it’s in my nature, but also truly believe, that the Devils are either going to do nothing or get someone who won’t make the slightest difference with improving the team before the playoff push.  Anyone along with me in my thinking or are you trying to remain positive, something I rarely do?

I think something will be done. I don’t think Meier gets here because Fitzgerald I’m sure will not give up Mercer or nemec and I wouldn’t either. 

i am really leaning towards lesser moves mainly buchnevich. Maybe Fitz could swing boeser and buchnevich. I really would take that over Meier. 

1 hour ago, Fansinz88 said:

I think something will be done. I don’t think Meier gets here because Fitzgerald I’m sure will not give up Mercer or nemec and I wouldn’t either. 

i am really leaning towards lesser moves mainly buchnevich. Maybe Fitz could swing boeser and buchnevich. I really would take that over Meier. 

Tarasenko would be good too.

I will be pretty disappointed with anyone being named other than Timo. It’s big game hunting for me, and I’m tired of settling for bargain bin shopping. They have the chance to add a power forward who could likely score 40 in his sleep playing with either of our top 2 centers. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I will be pretty disappointed with anyone being named other than Timo. It’s big game hunting for me, and I’m tired of settling for bargain bin shopping. They have the chance to add a power forward who could likely score 40 in his sleep playing with either of our top 2 centers. 

I think we may be forgetting that they guy has to want to sign here long term, which we’ve struggled with being an attractive destination in the past. I agree, i really want this guy but im also starting to feel like if this was going to get done i feel like it probably wouldve happened

Boomer on NHL Radio today:

“The Devils are set up to win for the next ten years. Cap-wise, age-wise, skill-wise they are positioned for the long term better than anyone else. And the Hughes and Hischier long-term deals are so team-friendly they have an enviable amount of flexibility.”

His partner Jason:

“If I could pick any situation in the league for the next 5-10 years it’d be New Jersey, no question.”

Both agree that if you can get and sign Meier that fits in with the team build and is a wise move. But both also believe that NJD should not be looking at rentals, since their current window is barely opening, and Luke Hughes and Nemec haven’t even hit their locker room.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I think we may be forgetting that they guy has to want to sign here long term, which we’ve struggled with being an attractive destination in the past. I agree, i really want this guy but im also starting to feel like if this was going to get done i feel like it probably wouldve happened

Well that goes without saying. You don’t give up a nice haul (which it will take) for a rental. Past is the past though. The Devils are currently a top 3 team in the league, have one of the best 1-2 punches at center (including a top 10 superstar and a good friend/countryman of his), and 2 more blue chip prospects on the way. I don’t really see why he wouldn’t want to sign with them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Well that goes without saying. You don’t give up a nice haul (which it will take) for a rental. Past is the past though. The Devils are currently a top 3 team in the league, have one of the best 1-2 punches at center (including a top 10 superstar and a good friend/countryman of his), and 2 more blue chip prospects on the way. I don’t really see why he wouldn’t want to sign with them. 

If it’s about money.. he can go to another team that’s going to be successful and have a future where he’ll pay FAR less in taxes. NJ / NY blow when it comes to taxes ( and many other things) but it’s expensive to live here and we have high state tax.