Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

37 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Well that's that on Domi.

It's kind of nuts this year. We got the big fish, but I still feel like we're falling behind the other top teams with all their depth acquisitions.

Is this the most busy trade deadline we've seen in a long time?

I’m with Fitz in that I don’t believe in chasing other teams’ acquisitions.  He made a fine deal and I think we’re all thrilled with it.  I like that he’s not going to force anything here…but I believe that if he can make one more thing happen that makes sense and isn’t costly, he’ll do it.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Didn't want him anyway. There is still time left if there is a move that makes sense.

Get the feeling that Domi wasn’t on Fitz’s radar.  

• Like 1

Just now, jagknife said:

What about Kulikov for a UFA floater to help the bottom d-pair? Beats the piss out of Smith, and can be insurance if we get an injury or if Bahl falters

We also need to remember Luke will be joining the team once Michigan’s season is over. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

We also need to remember Luke will be joining the team once Michigan’s season is over. 

Not necessarily saying we keep Kulikov beyond closing out the season, I'm looking it as insurance.

What if Mich puts together a healthy run, we might not have him get any experience before the post season. Then we'd be hoping he can slot right in

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Not sure if this was posted.

Pens get Granlund because... Hextall.

I am firmly in the fire Hextall group and any Pens fan in Pittsburgh who will listen to me is my audience. 

With the Marino trade and THEN the gall to say that Petry is available for trade after YOU moved out Marino in order to get Petry under the cap. It kind of tells me he doesn't have an idea how to fix that team. 

Hextall is quickly running that franchise into the ground. He needs to be fired before he does any more damage. At this point he is hurting more than he is helping

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I am firmly in the fire Hextall group and any Pens fan in Pittsburgh who will listen to me is my audience. 

With the Marino trade and THEN the gall to say that Petry is available for trade after YOU moved out Marino in order to get Petry under the cap. It kind of tells me he doesn't have an idea how to fix that team. 

Hextall is quickly running that franchise into the ground. He needs to be fired before he does any more damage. At this point he is hurting more than he is helping

You know the Pens are in our division right? I say give him an extension!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You know the Pens are in our division right? I say give him an extension!

I know, I know. I live here so I like rubbing it in for Pens fans and I'm often in friendly advice mode. 

I mean....thanks for Marino and all, Ron. 

Has Ron Hextall EVER put together a competent defense corp? Has he ever been involved in putting together a winning d corps? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Marino trade was one of the joyest thing Fitz did. And when Marino started to play in Devils jersey, thing started to be even more great. 

Shakir and Okhotiuk is sizable loss for our prodpect pool, but we still have Vilen, Orlov, Casey, may be Leddy. Bahl has nhl potential. So even when Marino and Siegthaler deals will get done, we still have someone to replace them. And I think Fitz will not stop it to draft mobile defensive defensemen with size and first pass. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jagknife said:

Not necessarily saying we keep Kulikov beyond closing out the season, I'm looking it as insurance.

What if Mich puts together a healthy run, we might not have him get any experience before the post season. Then we'd be hoping he can slot right in

Cake makar did in Colorado didn’t he? Showed up when the playoffs started and never left if I’m not mistaken.. Fit right in

4 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

Cake makar did in Colorado didn’t he? Showed up when the playoffs started and never left if I’m not mistaken.. Fit right in

Yep, you're exactly right, but I personally wouldn't mind a back up in case Luke can't make the elite jump in his first playoffs.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’s finally deadline day. Still hoping we make a tweak move or two. 

Definitely not expecting one...I'm thinking the improved play of the BMW line might have Fitz thinking "Why deal off any more assets if these guys are getting it going?"  Whatever he chooses to do (move or no move), I'll support it.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Definitely not expecting one...I'm thinking the improved play of the BMW line might have Fitz thinking "Why deal off any more assets if these guys are getting it going?"  Whatever he chooses to do (move or no move), I'll support it.  

I was still hoping for Henrique. Don’t know if it can work with his contract though.

Edited by MadDog2020

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Counting on Wood or even Bastian would be a mistake, Wood especially is who he has shown himself to be most of this season. He has been the worst forward on the team by a large margin, having a couple of good games should not fool Fitz or anyone else in the Org.

This does not mean they have to replace him, but they should be trying, as the team is good enough now, to try and improve on the margins is something they should seek out and if they can do so at a good cost, they should do.

The same is true with Smith on D, again they don't have to make a move, but if the right player is there, they should try to do so.

Edited by Patrick Sundstrom Ghost

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I was still hoping for Henrique. Don’t know if it can work with his contract though.

Yeah I think he'd be a terrific fit, but Anaheim's gotta eat half his salary before I'd even consider it.  I'm kinda surprised no one's grabbed him yet, with the feeding frenzy we've been seeing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Patrick Sundstrom Ghost said:

Counting on Wood or even Bastian would be a mistake, Wood especially is who he has shown himself to be most of this season. He has been the worst forward on the team by a large margin, having a couple of good games should not fool Fitz or anyone else in the Org.

This does not mean they have to replace him, but they should be trying, as the team is good enough now, to try and improve on the margins is something they should seek out and if they can do so at a good cost, they should do.

The same is true with Smith on D, again they don't have to make a move, but if the right player is there, they should try to do so.

I'm all for him making a move if it's there to make (and I'm not sold on Wood either, not by a longshot), I'm more trying to get inside his head, as to why he might not want to upgrade over Wood.  He dealt quite a few assets to land Meier...not so sure he's all that eager to deal off more (unless it's lower picks, or spare Ute parts, or some combo of both).  I think he'd love to make another move, but it simply might not be in the cards, in that there's not much cap room at the moment, and I don't know how willing he is to deal off more pieces.

Fitz could also be thinking "Bahl appears to be improving, maybe the upgrade for Smith is right in house".  

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

Marino trade was one of the joyest thing Fitz did. And when Marino started to play in Devils jersey, thing started to be even more great. 

Shakir and Okhotiuk is sizable loss for our prodpect pool, but we still have Vilen, Orlov, Casey, may be Leddy. Bahl has nhl potential. So even when Marino and Siegthaler deals will get done, we still have someone to replace them. And I think Fitz will not stop it to draft mobile defensive defensemen with size and first pass. 

It's a bit of a cliche, but this is the style of defensemen that the league is moving towards. Obviously if you can get an offensive defenseman who can move the puck well and still play defense that is nice too. I think teams want 2-3 guys like this who are shutdown dmen who are mobile and can easily make a first pass and get the puck out of your own zone and you want guys like this to throw in your top 4. The big less mobile guys who force a turnover and then chip the puck off the glass and out is going away. Top 4s around the league are going to be loaded with the type of defensive dman with size and who can force a turnover and then get the puck up the ice. It's why they are going to inevitably get paid the 5m-7m a year just for being good at defense. 

Edited by RizzMB30

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm all for him making a move if it's there to make (and I'm not sold on Wood either, not by a longshot), I'm more trying to get inside his head, as to why he might not want to upgrade over Wood.  He dealt quite a few assets to land Meier...not so sure he's all that eager to deal off more (unless it's lower picks, or spare Ute parts, or some combo of both).  I think he'd love to make another move, but it simply might not be in the cards, in that there's not much cap room at the moment, and I don't know how willing he is to deal off more pieces.

Fitz could also be thinking "Bahl appears to be improving, maybe the upgrade for Smith is right in house".  

I think we have some tradable assets still, players like Foote or Walsh added with a mid round pick that would be enticing offers for teams.

Now if they find a player who is signed for more than this season who fits the needs of the team, then you're talking about a bigger cost obviously. I don't know if they want to do that, or need to, but I bet they are having those discussions with themselves and the teams who they have targeted and those players.

The Cap is way less an issue with NJ than many other teams who have been trading non stop, Wood, Blackwood, even Sharo if it's a long term player coming in, there are options.

Plus Bernier I think is someone they could pay a team a 4th or 5th to take if they really needed the Cap move.

• Like 1

I don’t have the line ups in front of me but I think we could still shore up that third line and while I don’t think we need to add any defense (especially if Hughes gets a shot) I wouldn’t mind adding someone like Gudas for the 5/6 spot in our defense. A little knuckle dragging for a rough playoff series possibly against the rags would be nice to have. And I believe he’s in the last year of his contract. 

But if we’re done making moves I’m ok with that. Meier is a big get.

• Like 1

Can the Devils improve their team with a 3rd line center, someone who is signed for longer than this year, and move Haula to 4th line or wing, someone like Nick Schmaltz, that's the type of player they might be looking at I think.

Now he is not cheap and is signed for a bit, so not sure they will want to go there, but someone who is signed for at least one more season, I think that has a shot to happen if they find the right player and the cost is something they can live with.

Piou Suter is another one, I think.

The Devils Insiders mentioned another, and that is Yahov Trenin.

Edited by Patrick Sundstrom Ghost