Jump to content

Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss


mikepeluso8

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I guess Minnesota felt that it was worth the money to spend $1.8 million for a 4th round pick. Is that the equivalent of buying a lottery ticket? Maybe the 4th round pick hits big and it only costs less than $2 million?

There's probably a chart somewhere showing what draft picks are worth.

Saw a tweet that it's about 75k in real dollars paid.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well a good news bad news situation with the ROR deal I think.

Bad news, I think he was one of the players Car might have tried for, which means they can target Meier in a more direct way.

The good news looking at it from that direct perspective is it might mean this whole thing will pick up some juice and if Carolina has more urgency it might get SJ to finally tell the teams what they want exactly.

I also think Carolina is in a different position than the Devils in that they might not need someone as good as Timo to challenge for the CUP, where as I don't think anyone is out there thinking we could win this year without a big move.

Finally I think if Kane is healthy, he's a real fit for Car, and something they might be more interested in with less cost than Timo, so we should all hope he is healthy and they are talking to Chicago.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow…so out of a total of 12 picks over the first four rounds over the next three seasons, the Leafs currently have just five of those picks left…they do still have their 2024 and 2025 first rounders, but no second rounders at all.

I get it, given where they are…they’re as “Right fvcking NOW!” of a team as it gets.  And if they ever decide to start tearing things down (obviously no time soon) they’ll have the pieces to snag draft capital.  But…damn.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wow…so out of a total of 12 picks over the first four rounds over the next three seasons, the Leafs currently have just five of those picks left…they do still have their 2024 and 2025 first rounders, but no second rounders at all.

I get it, given where they are…they’re as “Right fvcking NOW!” of a team as it gets.  And if they ever decide to start tearing things down (obviously no time soon) they’ll have the pieces to snag draft capital.  But…damn.  

It’s fascinating.  Between the salaries they pay their stars and the assets they’ve spent on acquisitions/cap management, the Leafs are structured like a dynasty team that’s at the back end of their run but they’ve literally never won a thing, not even a play in round against Columbus.  
 

I really don’t know why Dubas seems to be so highly thought of.   He seems like an absolute hack to me.  He inherited a loaded young roster with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Reilly, Kapanen, Connor Brown, Josh Hyman and Kadri.   He rushed their rebuild by adding Tavares, overpaid the big 3 forwards and seemingly has been doing nothing but shedding depth and juggling the cap with 21 players ever since.  They should have moved on from him years ago.  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wow…so out of a total of 12 picks over the first four rounds over the next three seasons, the Leafs currently have just five of those picks left…they do still have their 2024 and 2025 first rounders, but no second rounders at all.

I get it, given where they are…they’re as “Right fvcking NOW!” of a team as it gets.  And if they ever decide to start tearing things down (obviously no time soon) they’ll have the pieces to snag draft capital.  But…damn.  

Just gonna make it that much better when they lose in some heartbreaking fashion after Biz verbally blows them for the next few months on Chiclets

Also, their summer is going to be very interesting with expiring contracts and who needs deals

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see Kane going anywhere either. Seems like too much of a risk, and a couple teams already made some big moves. 

I hope we get Meier because I think he'd be a good fit on our team and fills a big need, and I definitely don't think we're there yet to win a Cup without him, but I'm just not sure I see it happening. I have a feeling Fitz may be struggling with what to give up, and I can really say I blame him. For the first time in a while we have some good pieces to play with and a little depth, basically some assets that may not be  worth losing. I think Hughes and Nemec are untouchable, and I don't think anyone is super sold on Bahl or Muk, so outside of Mercer or Holtz and picks, what would someone like the Sharks be interested in? I really wish we could throw a bunch of cash at them since we have that at our disposal. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't see Kane going anywhere either. Seems like too much of a risk, and a couple teams already made some big moves. 

I hope we get Meier because I think he'd be a good fit on our team and fills a big need, and I definitely don't think we're there yet to win a Cup without him, but I'm just not sure I see it happening. I have a feeling Fitz may be struggling with what to give up, and I can really say I blame him. For the first time in a while we have some good pieces to play with and a little depth, basically some assets that may not be  worth losing. I think Hughes and Nemec are untouchable, and I don't think anyone is super sold on Bahl or Muk, so outside of Mercer or Holtz and picks, what would someone like the Sharks be interested in? I really wish we could throw a bunch of cash at them since we have that at our disposal. 

Seamus Casey will probably be a part of any deal for Meier.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Anyone else seeing a few too many devils fans losing their collective minds over the bottom 6 trade here?

like I get Wood sucks, but the deadline is still 12 days away…

This is the second straight season that the Rangers have traded for Motte.  They dealt a 4th for him last year.  He signed with Ottawa in the offseason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is the second straight season that the Rangers have traded for Motte.  They dealt a 4th for him last year.  He signed with Ottawa in the offseason.

But zomg! Rangers made the only trades this season! They just closed the market! Fitz is a joke!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Womp womp

On the bright side at least it means he’s not currently on his way to Carolina. 

I’m not even worried about that. That would be SJ cutting off their nose to spite their face because Carolina has no interest in an extension. The idea is to maximize your return, not diminish it. And Grier is a first time GM who needs to make a signature move. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m not even worried about that. That would be SJ cutting off their nose to spite their face because Carolina has no interest in an extension. The idea is to maximize your return, not diminish it. And Grier is a first time GM who needs to make a signature move. 

I don’t remember seeing the extension part. I just saw Carolina is not interested in giving up their top prospect. But we have taken our top two prospects off the table so who knows. Still seems like it’s down to Devils or Canes at this point. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t remember seeing the extension part. I just saw Carolina is not interested in giving up their top prospect. But we have taken our top two prospects off the table so who knows. Still seems like it’s down to Devils or Canes at this point. 

That was reported last week in a couple of places I think; that Carolina doesn’t need an extension as a prerequisite to a deal. Whereas, the Devils want an extension or no deal.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That was reported last week in a couple of places I think; that Carolina doesn’t need an extension as a prerequisite to a deal. Whereas, the Devils want an extension or no deal.

Ah ok. I probably did see it then. I guess I’m lucky I can remember yesterday at this point lol. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.