Jump to content

Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss


mikepeluso8

Recommended Posts

Just now, Fansinz88 said:

That I would do. But what rental could you get for a second rounder that would make a big impact for us? 

A couple names I've mentioned in previous posts are Ivan Barbashev and James Van Riemsdyk. The latter could help the Devils' power play and Barbashev could strengthen the bottom six.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are the Blues doing? They got rid of Tarasenko and O'Reilly, but are considering adding Meier now? Are they thinking ROR and Tarasenko are going to come back? I can't imagine they are in an actual win now mode if they are getting rid of two good forwards like that. 

I'm hoping they remain sellers, because I really would like the Devils to add Buchnevich. He's not quite the player Meier is, but how many point/game players are there who are signed for under $6MM?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, nessus said:

What are the Blues doing? They got rid of Tarasenko and O'Reilly, but are considering adding Meier now? Are they thinking ROR and Tarasenko are going to come back? I can't imagine they are in an actual win now mode if they are getting rid of two good forwards like that. 

I'm hoping they remain sellers, because I really would like the Devils to add Buchnevich. He's not quite the player Meier is, but how many point/game players are there who are signed for under $6MM?

Clearing out the old guys to make room for the next gen.

Some north jersey writer. Not sure if he is credible:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Clearing out the old guys to make room for the next gen.

Some north jersey writer. Not sure if he is credible:

 

Figured as much. Can’t really blame SJ for not wanting Holtz as the main piece. This deal would already be done if I was Fitz. I like Mercer, but I like Timo more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Clearing out the old guys to make room for the next gen.

Some north jersey writer. Not sure if he is credible:

 

This is what I figured.  Not surprised at all that the Sharks wanna dig in and try to land Mercer.  That’s how I would play it if I were them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’ll also say, if we were to trade Mercer for Meier it basically needs to be one-for-one. No 1st, or anything else significant. Maybe a Utica throw in but that’s about it. 

Yeah that’s basically where I am…you want Mercer, that’s about all you get.  But I’d rather not give him up.  There’s just something about him.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But I’d rather not give him up.  There’s just something about him.  

Good two-way players are valuable and he's already good. And he's 21 so there could be a lot of growth. Plus, the idea is to get better, and trading Mercer for Timo Meier doesn't really achieve that in a significant way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’ll also say, if we were to trade Mercer for Meier it basically needs to be one-for-one. No 1st, or anything else significant. Maybe a Utica throw in but that’s about it. 

 

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah that’s basically where I am…you want Mercer, that’s about all you get.  But I’d rather not give him up.  There’s just something about him.  

I'd almost want Grier to give something else vs Fitz to add more. Timo is valuable but Grier's hand is kind of forced here with Meier-- he's not going to get full Meier value in this deal.

The good thing would be, at least, NJ keeps their first this year and then they flip it for an additional player at the deadline...and they'd really need to because Mercer is factoring in heavily in the top 6 right now. Adding Meier to the top 6 at the cost of Mercer is too rough. Meier is a lot better, obviously, but it's still subtracting something valuable already on the roster to add something to the roster when they really need to just add...except Smith. Smith can be a minus.

EDIT: Also, Mercer is cost controlled and Meier is not.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Good two-way players are valuable and he's already good. And he's 21 so there could be a lot of growth. Plus, the idea is to get better, and trading Mercer for Timo Meier doesn't really achieve that in a significant way.

Sure it does. Meier is currently a better player than Mercer. Will Mercer become a 30 goal, 70+ point guy in the future? Maybe, but right now Timo would be a clear upgrade. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Sure it does. Meier is currently a better player than Mercer. Will Mercer become a 30 goal, 70+ point guy in the future? Maybe, but right now Timo would be a clear upgrade. 

You're right about who's a better player, but do we want to trade a 20-goal scorer -- a man in our top 6 forwards-- to do it? I wouldn't, and I do understand how important getting Meier is. We have enough assets to find another way and still beat Carolina's offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

You're right about who's a better player, but do we want to trade a 20-goal scorer -- a man in our top 6 forwards-- to do it? I wouldn't, and I do understand how important getting Meier is. We have enough assets to find another way and still beat Carolina's offer.

I’m going off the claim that SJ won’t budge on wanting Mercer. Who knows how true that is or not. I seem to be in the minority (if not completely alone) in that I’d probably do it though. I just don’t think the opportunity to add a 26 year old 220 lb power forward who will score you 30-40 goals comes along all that often. Timo is currently on pace for about 44 goals I believe (on a terrible team). We haven’t had a Devil score that many goals in a season since what, Parise in the late 00’s?

Honestly, at this point, I’m just looking forward to this being over one way or another. I’m tired of stressing about it lol. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m going off the claim that SJ won’t budge on wanting Mercer. Who knows how true that is or not. I seem to be in the minority (if not completely alone) in that I’d probably do it though. I just don’t think the opportunity to add a 26 year old 220 lb power forward who will score you 30-40 goals comes along all that often. Timo is currently on pace for about 44 goals I believe (on a terrible team). We haven’t had a Devil score that many goals in a season since what, Parise in the late 00’s?

Honestly, at this point, I’m just looking forward to this being over one way or another. I’m tired of stressing about it lol. 

Yeah, you make a good argument. Meier is really good and fills a big need. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, nessus said:

Definitely feeling less optimistic about the Devils getting Meier lately. I doubt Fitz budges on not moving Mercer. And with Holtz being sent down, it's not exactly a good look for a supposed top prospect who has trade value.

If I have one big gripe this season it’s how Holtz has been handled. You have to imagine his trade value would be way higher right now if he was torching the AHL most of the season, and had another 25+ or so goals down there again. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

If I have one big gripe this season it’s how Holtz has been handled. You have to imagine his trade value would be way higher right now if he was torching the AHL most of the season, and had another 25+ or so goals down there again. 

Agree with this...I still find it bizarre that Holtz played in such a low amount of games this season.  Feels like this was a largely wasted year for him, from a pure development standpoint.

If the Sharks have reached the point where it's Mercer involved or no deal...I walk away.

 

BTW I know this is shameless cherry-picking, but their last 10 games:

Mercer:  6 G, 1 A

Meier:  4 G, 1 A

 

Over their last 22 games:

Mercer:  8 G, 9 A, 17 Pts

Meier:  13 G, 5 A, 18 Pts

 

I'm not the slightest bit against landing Meier, but I'm not giving up Dawson to do it...especially since he still has a ELC year left and probably won't break the bank on his next deal (though he'll obviously get a big raise).  The real question is for the Devils to get Mercer out of the discussion, how far are they willing to go?  We know Nemec and L Hughes are non-starters and I 100% agree with that stance.  But are the Devils willing to give up this year's AND next year's first-rounders to make this happen...on top of whatever else?  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But are the Devils willing to give up this year's AND next year's first-rounders to make this happen...on top of whatever else?  

I would be. I’m not trading Mercer, Nemec, or Luke under any circumstances, so if it means next years first added on with other stuff, I’d be good with it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I would be. I’m not trading Mercer, Nemec, or Luke under any circumstances, so if it means next years first added on with other stuff, I’d be good with it. 

Yeah same.  I'd do two firsts + Holtz.  Yeah it's absolutely risky as fvck because heaven forbid the Devils have an Armageddon-type next season where everything goes wrong (say, an Avalanche-like slew of injuries) and they somehow wind up with a Top-10 pick...but I'm also banking on Meier being here long-term and consistently potting 30-40 goals (or at least scoring at that rate per 82 GP).  And I get to hang onto a guy who's already put up 77 points in 139 GP as a 20 and 21-year-old and who only figures to get better.  And it's a young forward corp...and with the depth on D, a couple of firsts figure to be much less crucial to hang onto.

Or another way to look at it...would you trade the Devils 2024 first to get to hang on to Dawson, who's already here and contributing?  Yeah I do that.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.