Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

Yeah this Nemec stuff is a big no from me.

I think 3 years from now every team in the league is going to have a problem when we have a 23 and 22 year old eating up 40 plus minutes a game on the defense, by dominating the puck and making transition hockey a beautiful thing to watch.

The Mercer thing to me is really simple, I am not trading him in a overall package, now if you tell me you are making it 1 for 1, with some throw in parts, with no Holtz and no 1st rd pick, then I need to seriously think about it.

Mercer, Johnnson, a Foote and Walsh with no picks, I don't know if I can say no to that, but I am doing everything I can to make another offer without Mercer being in it.

He is a glue player, someone who if we have no Nico and Jack we would all mention as a future Captain here.

I even think he might become a point a game player someday, as guys who work as hard as he does will always reach or pass their full poential.

The more I think about it, the less I really want to trade Mercer, so I would add future picks to something like Holtz, Casey a 1 this year, plus a second for the next 2 years and someone like Clarke along with Johnnson for the money.

I want to see someone beat that offer or something like that before Mercer's name even comes up, then we can at least think hard on it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Went over to HF Boards to check in on all the trade stuff, and man did I forget how awful that place is. Just one uncivil know-it-all after another. I’m so thankful for this site. Especially after the recent purge here. 

Yeah that place sucks.  I went over there while this site was down and I won’t ever go back.  That fact that that glenwo guy is a major presence there kinda tells me all I need to know about HF Boards.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

If St. Louis is in on Meier wouldn’t that mean their other players are no longer available? That could eliminate a lot of options if blues pull that off. Or are they trying to bring him in before they get rid of everyone else if they can’t get him? 

Good points. If they're open to letting go of Barbashev I would inquire (in the event Grier doesn't back down from his request for Mercer and we wind up passing on Timo). As much as I'd love to see Meier land here,  I want no part of giving up Mercer.

As for other cheaper alternatives, would Arizona be willing to part with Schmaltz? If so, I'd try that option. Then maybe go after Max Domi as a second and final trade? He shouldn't cost much at all.

3 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I feel like everyone keeps forgetting there needs to be a contract attached to this guy. If he gets traded else where and decides he doesn’t want to stay there long term how great would it be if we signed him in the off season and gave up nothing lol

He’s not a UFA-to-be.  He’s an RFA.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Good points. If they're open to letting go of Barbashev I would inquire (in the event Grier doesn't back down from his request for Mercer and we wind up passing on Timo). As much as I'd love to see Meier land here,  I want no part of giving up Mercer.

As for other cheaper alternatives, would Arizona be willing to part with Schmaltz? If so, I'd try that option. Then maybe go after Max Domi as a second and final trade? He shouldn't cost much at all.

I would honestly start moving in that direction. I think the Timo deal is too costly. Mercer is too young and far cheaper for many years to trade. Barbashev would be a rental? What about Keller from Arizona as well? I’d ask that question too. 

38 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

What about Keller from Arizona as well? I’d ask that question too. 

Absolutely no way Arizona trades Keller. He’s young, their best player, and on a decent contract (similar to Nico’s) for 5 more years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I dont have his contract info in front of me but Schmaltz from Arizona would be an intriguing addition, assuming he could play center and wing. He's 27 so has good years left in him. Gonna be an interesting 1-2 weeks.

CF has him listed as a RW,C he's at 5.85M for 3 more seasons.

12 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Absolutely down, but we'd probably have to ditch Blackwood in any deal wouldn't we

Yeah probably.  He's an RFA after this season.  I thought he was a UFA which would make it a little easier, but I suppose he could be included in the deal.  Just not sure what his value is going to look like at this point.  Is this the heel injury coming back?

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Went over to HF Boards to check in on all the trade stuff, and man did I forget how awful that place is. Just one uncivil know-it-all after another. I’m so thankful for this site. Especially after the recent purge here. 

We have lost some good members over the years, and I always had the idea that one particular purged member was entirely responsible. It would be nice to see some of those good posters come back here. 

And yeah, no idea how that glen guy is taken seriously over at HF. Maybe they realize there’s nothing they can do so they just embrace it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nessus said:

And yeah, no idea how that glen guy is taken seriously over at HF. Maybe they realize there’s nothing they can do so they just embrace it. 

Nah. Idiots generally don’t know when they’re talking to another idiot. And that place is chock full of idiots. 

11 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

Why do our trade targets keep getting hurt?

If anything, it shows that sometimes waiting until the last second to deal off an asset (in the hopes of squeezing every last piece out of a contending team looking to fortify) isn’t always the best way to go.  At least the Canucks and Blues were able to get something back for their guys.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

49 minutes ago, nessus said:

We have lost some good members over the years, and I always had the idea that one particular purged member was entirely responsible. It would be nice to see some of those good posters come back here. 

HF seems like a haven for humorless metrics geeks, based on my experiences there.

Yeah this board in general does feel a lot more civil now and has better give-and-take. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

HF seems like a haven for humorless metrics geeks, based on my experiences there.

Yeah the board in general does feel a lot more civil and and has better give-and-take. 

I fvcking hate that place. Never posted there and never will. 

Edited by MadDog2020