Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

4 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I mentioned this elsewhere but FWIW Frank Seravalli said the asking price is a prospect and two picks which is more than fair for a guy that's not even under contract. I don't think Mercer is on the table.

Mr 2% accurate is saying Holtz, Blackwood and a first for Meier and Reimer is the “current offer”

so needless to say, he’ll be a Hurricane in the coming days

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, nessus said:

I don't think it's about Bratt being fragile, as much as him and his agent willing to use anything they can as leverage for a better deal. So extending him before we would need to worry about another big contract would be ideal.

Yeah but there comes a point where enough is enough

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The Leafs have 3 players making around $11 million each. I don’t really see it as a similar situation considering we have Jack and Nico on team friendly deals. They should be able to afford to pay both Timo and Bratt. Then your main window is while Luke and Nemec are on ELC. 

Wrt Casey, he might actually be an option to move to forward. Michigan did it for a game recently and he lit it up. It will be interesting to see if he gets any more chances there the rest of the season. 

I understand we're in a better position cap wise because of the deals we've already made.  The point I was trying to make was that in Toronto, it seemed like the second that they brought in Tavares, there was a run on the rest of their cap space with everyone trying to get a big of the piece of pie as possible.  Nylander sat out half a season, Marner's negotiations got ugly, etc.   I think bringing in a guy like Meier at 9 or 9.5 probably makes the Bratt deal tougher to seal...unless you're just going to do the Kyle Dubas and cave to his demands.  

58 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Mercer is hands-off for me right now unless its something MAJOR coming back, like blockbuster

Meier is producing at a 41 G and 40 A per 82 GP rate over this season and last.  That's pretty major...not Jack Hughes major, but not like the Devils have had tons of 40-goal scorers in their history.  

BUT, I hear you, in that I do like Dawson a lot and really HOPE he's going to hit his stride as soon as next season (his Age 22 year).  I'm very conflicted about dealing him, but if I'm the Sharks, I gotta come away with someone closer to putting it all together than Holtz.  If they're somehow willing to take Holtz, Casey, a first-rounder and some Ute throw-in, I think I gotta make that deal...of course if the Devils can get him cheaper, awesome, but the Sharks gotta find a way to cash in somewhat here.  Especially since it's not like other teams won't be interested.  

• Like 1

Meier is also leading the league in SOG, and would probably have a few more goals if he wasn't so snakebitten earlier in the season.

Speaking of league leaders in SOG, Jack is third (behind only Meier and Pastrnak, who are tied for first). As much as we have been asking for a winger for Jack, if Meier ends up on the Devils, it may make more sense to put him on Nico's wing. It would probably be best to put two of the league's best shot generators on different lines. And that's irrespective of Nico's chemistry with Meier.

I don't think anyone would complain about a top 6 of:

Palat-Hughes-Bratt

Meier-Hischier-Mercer

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, nessus said:

Meier is also leading the league in SOG, and would probably have a few more goals if he wasn't so snakebitten earlier in the season.

Speaking of league leaders in SOG, Jack is third (behind only Meier and Pastrnak, who are tied for first). As much as we have been asking for a winger for Jack, if Meier ends up on the Devils, it may make more sense to put him on Nico's wing. It would probably be best to put two of the league's best shot generators on different lines. And that's irrespective of Nico's chemistry with Meier.

Palat-Hughes-Bratt

Meier-Hischier-Mercer

And who knows but I think part of the reason that Fitz selected Casey was to be able to have another young touted D-prospect to be able to pivot to, whenever it's time to make a deal..."No, you're not getting Luke and you're not getting Nemec, but I have another good young one in Casey if you're willing to go that route."  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nessus said:

Palat-Hughes-Bratt

Meier-Hischier-Mercer

Wait what about haula on jacks line? Lol

2 hours ago, nessus said:

Palat-Hughes-Bratt

Meier-Hischier-Mercer

Agreed, you can swap out Mercer or Shango depending on who gets hot or looks better with Hughes-Meier. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And who knows but I think part of the reason that Fitz selected Casey was to be able to have another young touted D-prospect to be able to pivot to, whenever it's time to make a deal..."No, you're not getting Luke and you're not getting Nemec, but I have another good young one in Casey if you're willing to go that route."  

Boom. Exactly. All three are looking like studs, but Casey, Holtz and a 1st, and a 2nd or 3rd rounder maybe gets it done for Meier. I say go for Meier and if that falls through, maybe try for Henrique.  

34 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Agreed, you can swap out Mercer or Shango depending on who gets hot or looks better with Hughes-Meier. 

Boom. Exactly. All three are looking like studs, but Casey, Holtz and a 1st, and a 2nd or 3rd rounder maybe gets it done for Meier. I say go for Meier and if that falls through, maybe try for Henrique.  

I’m really feeling kuzmenkov out of Vancouver and then max domi. I’d take a Meier trade over both honestly but this is more realistic. Those two players would cost less than Meier combined. 

30 minutes ago, Fansinz88 said:

I’m really feeling kuzmenkov out of Vancouver and then max domi. I’d take a Meier trade over both honestly but this is more realistic. Those two players would cost less than Meier combined. 

I like Domi's game, Kuzmenko is possibly one of the untouchables in Vancouver that they want to build around until further notice. BUT I think the kids a sniper. Good player or will be. If we sucked this year and we were selling at the deadline, he's an under the radar target that I would take a shot on. 

Who fvcking knows with Vancouver. 

Edited by RizzMB30

33 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Anyone have a clue as to what the Devils would offer???

Read the thread.  Fair amount of suggestions, but not like we have any inside dope.  Hoping the cost is surprisingly less than we’re expecting. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nessus said:

Palat-Hughes-Bratt

Meier-Hischier-Mercer

I see your argument of separating the shot generators but I’d still put Meier with Jack:

1. Timo is a lights-out shooter who can convert Jack’s passes.

2. Timo is more of an off the rush scorer. Not so much a guy who will cycle and grind on the boards like Nico prefers to do.

3. Nico, Bratt, Palat have really good chemistry right now. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, devlman said:

I see your argument of separating the shot generators but I’d still put Meier with Jack:

1. Timo is a lights-out shooter who can convert Jack’s passes.

2. Timo is more of an off the rush scorer. Not so much a guy who will cycle and grind on the boards like Nico prefers to do.

3. Nico, Bratt, Palat have really good chemistry right now. 

I believe we hold the deal maker in nico. 

Re:  Meier, the Sharks have to be looking for the following:

A young "right now" prospect who has clearly not yet reached his ceiling, but is currently good enough to hold his own in the NHL and is up to stay...no seasoning jaunts to the AHL required...this player is clearly past that.

A "down the line" prospect who's a few years away, but has a good chance to at least warrant getting a nice long look when his time comes.

A first-round pick

A throw-in

Based on the above, I offer them Mercer, Casey, 2023 second-rounder, 2024 third-rounder, and Walsh (or Zetterlund or Boqvist).  Yeah, I know I said first-rounder, but I'm giving them a guy who's difficult to part with in Mercer who can play for them immediately.  If they press it, I consider giving them the first-rounder in place of the second-rounder, but might ask for someone else to come back with Meier.

Alternate offer:

Holtz, Casey, 2023 first-rounder, 2024 second-rounder, and one of Walsh/Zetterlund/Boqvist.  In this scenario the Sharks don't get ANY true "right now" help, which is why I'll give them the first rounder this time around.  I'm not sure how high that they currently are on Holtz...the guy is back to being a healthy scratch and with very rare exceptions doesn't look like he's at all close to sticking in the NHL.

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I wouldn’t actually OFFER them Mercer. I’d offer them Sharangovich first. If they want Mercer, they’ll have to pry him away. 

Sharangovich doesn't fit the "right now" prospect with serious upside, in that he's not really a prospect anymore (he'll be 25 in June) and appears to have settled into being a bad-team, flawed player who's never going to be much better than he is right now.  He's not a building block for a rebuilding team...he's roster filler for a middling-to-bad team.  It wouldn't surprise me if he now bounces around the NHL for the next 4-6 years, playing for multiple teams.

It's the old "Gotta give to get" scenario.  Devils are trying to pry away an in-his-prime player who's flirting with 50 goals.  I can't offer them a guy who's scored 2 goals over his last 24 games as the "right now" piece and expect them to stay on the line.

Sharangovich and something else for Henrique, that I can see.  Sucks in that Sharangovich has faltered just enough to tank his trade value.  Not so sure that even the Ducks would want him in a deal at this point...he's been THAT meh.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sharangovich doesn't fit the "right now" prospect with serious upside, in that he's not really a prospect anymore (he'll be 25 in June) and appears to have settled into being a bad-team, flawed player who's never going to be much better than he is right now.  He's not a building block for a rebuilding team...he's roster filler for a middling-to-bad team.  It wouldn't surprise me if he now bounces around the NHL for the next 4-6 years, playing for multiple teams.

It's the old "Gotta give to get" scenario.  Devils are trying to pry away an in-his-prime player who's flirting with 50 goals.  I can't offer them a guy who's scored 2 goals over his last 24 games as the "right now" piece and expect them to stay on the line.

Sharangovich and something else for Henrique, that I can see.  Sucks in that Sharangovich has faltered just enough to tank his trade value.  Not so sure that even the Ducks would want him in a deal at this point...he's been THAT meh.   

We could also start the conversations with incentive firsts, like you added in your Holtz scenario. Once they swap Holtz for someone else, say Mercer, we start negotiating off the firsts. This also could buy some time for guys to get hot and bump up their value.

Yeah my world is rose colored, and of course hypothetical.... possibly mythical

17 minutes ago, jagknife said:

We could also start the conversations with incentive firsts, like you added in your Holtz scenario. Once they swap Holtz for someone else, say Mercer, we start negotiating off the firsts. This also could buy some time for guys to get hot and bump up their value.

Yeah my world is rose colored, and of course hypothetical.... possibly mythical

It's all hypotheticals...I'm just thinking that considering how well Meier's played this year (and since the beginning of last season, really), the Devils gotta make a legit offer here.  If Fitz somehow lands Meier without giving up Mercer (or Nemec, who I suspect the Sharks will ask for), I'll consider that beyond miraculous.

Or another way of putting it:  if I'm a Sharks fan (and I'm assuming Nemec coming back is a pipe dream) and I don't at least get Mercer back...I'm pissed.  Of course if Holtz turns the corner in, say, 2024-25 I'll forget about it, but I'm still going to be aggravated as hell...maybe if the Devils gave them TWO first-rounders to go with Holtz, OK, I'm a little less pissed.  But from the Devils' standpoint, I'm always of wary of dealing off TOO many first-rounders (unless you're truly THAT close to winning a Cup, and don't have many other assets to trade in trying to get over the hump).  You may need other first-rounders for other deals down the line.  

If I'm the Sharks I dig my heels in, re:  Mercer being a part of this deal.  If they buckle and accept Holtz, good for the Devils...not so great for the Sharks.