The Unintended GDT (1/19) Devils @ Kraken 10:00 PM EST MSGSN

Rock

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Matt Tkachuk, Kevin Fiala and Alex deBrincat weren’t available, until they were. Taylor Hall wasn’t available, until we acquired him. 

That’s why I don’t bother with naming names, because you and SD run full speed to your keyboard to say “NAAAAA NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!!!!”. Why waste both of our time? 

Ok fine, we’ll just get McDavid and Draisaitl then. Done deal. Bratt and Johnsson and Smith for Leon and Connor. 

Of those 3 guys you mentioned, only Tkachuk is having a markedly better season than Bratt. Guys like Fiala or DeBrincat may be available, but you’d possibly be making a lateral move, unless another Tkachuk becomes available. And the odds don’t favor it. If you want to chase such a guy and dangle Bratt as the bait, that is fine.

Edited by mfitz804

4 minutes ago, njdevil26 said:

I was happy to come away with the point after the third but really wanted the win. They have to tighten up the starts again. 

Honestly it’s been 3 straight games like this too. Glad they’re finding ways to get points but can’t keep playing w fire. I think getting Marino back solves a lot of this.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Ok fine, we’ll just get McDavid and Draisaitl then. Done deal. Bratt and Johnsson and Smith for Leon and Connor. 

Who is making this debate? How is this your best effort? 

"I think the Devils should explore trading Jesper Bratt in the offseason for a guy that plays like a Fiala or Tkachuk" and your response is "hurr durr let's trade Andreas Johnsson for Conor McDavid"? Where are the wires getting crossed here? 

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Who is making this debate? How is this your best effort? 

"I think the Devils should explore trading Jesper Bratt in the offseason for a guy that plays like a Fiala or Tkachuk" and your response is "hurr durr let's trade Andreas Johnsson for Conor McDavid"? Where are the wires getting crossed here? 

I had Draisaitl and some other guys in there as well. See my edit for more than me just cracking wise at your expense. 

And the point is, you are talking about an exceptionally small group of players that could become available that fall into that category, where Bratt already falls. 

Edited by mfitz804

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Of those 3 guys you mentioned, only Tkachuk is having a markedly better season than Bratt. Guys like Fiala or DeBrincat may be available, but you’d possibly be making a lateral move, unless another Tkachuk becomes available. And the odds don’t favor it. If you want to chase such a guy and dangle Bratt as the bait, that is fine.

Hell yeah, I got someone to actually engage with me. 

"Better" to me isn't just "look at the stats, who had more points?". Bratt plays next to Hughes and Nico exclusively. Obviously we've seen that not everyone can put up great numbers next to those two (hide your Haulas) but the Devils have a lot of players that are "like" Bratt. Bratt is a skilled playmaking forward. Nico is a skilled playmaking forward. Jack is a skilled playmaking forward. The Devils at an organizational level lack big, strong, physical top-6 power forwards. They lack players who enjoy getting/throwing hits, who enjoy digging pucks out of nasty areas, who aren't afraid to muck it up in the crease. Even their best offensive prospects -- Holtz, Clarke, Thompson -- they're all small, skilled playmakers. (You can argue Nolan Foote fits the bill of a power forward but I don't see it with him). 

Kevin Fiala would've been perfect for this team. He's going to go to the dirty areas, he's going to score the dirty goals, he's got a cannon of a shot and he's exactly the kind of linemate that would flourish with a Nico or a Jack. I would love to see the Devils acquire one -- or two -- guys like that in the offseason, and I'm not playing Madden with the salary cap turned off, so I'm acknowledging that signing two of those guys comes at the expense of Bratt.

I don't want to throw Jesper Bratt away. If the Devils re-sign him, I'll eagerly cheer for him. I don't hate him. I just think his playstyle a redundancy in a team with massive holes. 

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

who are you possibly doing this for? This is such a garbage dump of a post lol. 

One time you saw a guy on TV ask himself a rhetorical question and answer it to sound smart and you just decided to make that your entire personality? It’s exhausting, man.

I gave my opinion about people making those claims.

I do believe that it's possible that someone who make these type of claims could read this and actually think "well, i guess that's a good point i didn't really think about that". And i'm legit curious to know what people making these claims are expecting. So does mfitz. I truly don't understand what their expectations are.

As for what you said. Well every game we lose you go and pick a scapegoat and devote your entire existence to hate him and wanting that player off the team. It's like clockwork. Literally a week or 2 ago you wanted us to get new goalies because Schmid had a rough game that night and VV had one the game before. That was your whole thing for a few days, full doom and gloom. Then few games later our goalie has a good game and you're perfectly fine about our goalies lol

You're a knee-jerk reaction factory. And that has to be exhausting.

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Hell yeah, I got someone to actually engage with me. 

"Better" to me isn't just "look at the stats, who had more points?". Bratt plays next to Hughes and Nico exclusively. Obviously we've seen that not everyone can put up great numbers next to those two (hide your Haulas) but the Devils have a lot of players that are "like" Bratt. Bratt is a skilled playmaking forward. Nico is a skilled playmaking forward. Jack is a skilled playmaking forward. The Devils at an organizational level lack big, strong, physical top-6 power forwards. They lack players who enjoy getting/throwing hits, who enjoy digging pucks out of nasty areas, who aren't afraid to muck it up in the crease. Even their best offensive prospects -- Holtz, Clarke, Thompson -- they're all small, skilled playmakers. (You can argue Nolan Foote fits the bill of a power forward but I don't see it with him). 

Kevin Fiala would've been perfect for this team. He's going to go to the dirty areas, he's going to score the dirty goals, he's got a cannon of a shot and he's exactly the kind of linemate that would flourish with a Nico or a Jack. I would love to see the Devils acquire one -- or two -- guys like that in the offseason, and I'm not playing Madden with the salary cap turned off, so I'm acknowledging that signing two of those guys comes at the expense of Bratt.

I don't want to throw Jesper Bratt away. If the Devils re-sign him, I'll eagerly cheer for him. I don't hate him. I just think his playstyle a redundancy in a team with massive holes. 

The point, which you are obviously missing, is that your concept that he “disappears” is a fallacy, at least based on his current play. There are maybe 35 guys in the entire league producing what he is producing right now. Another two of them are on our team. How many of the other 32 will be available? 

You know at least 90% of them will not be. If what you’d re saying is that on the off chance that some superstar player miraculously becomes available, Bratt could be included in that trade, ok, sure, why not. But out of those 32 guys many of them would only be a lateral move and wouldn’t even be worth it. 

So is your position “if someone better than Bratt is available, we should trade Bratt for him”? If so, I would suggest that is a garbage dump of a post. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The point, which you are obviously missing, is that your concept that he “disappears” is a fallacy, at least based on his current play. There are maybe 35 guys in the entire league producing what he is producing right now. Another two of them are on our team. How many of the other 32 will be available? 

You know at least 90% of them will not be. If what you’d re saying is that on the off chance that some superstar player miraculously becomes available, Bratt could be included in that trade, ok, sure, why not. But out of those 32 guys many of them would only be a lateral move and wouldn’t even be worth it. 

So is your position “if someone better than Bratt is available, we should trade Bratt for him”? If so, I would suggest that is a garbage dump of a post. 

I'll just stop replying because this is silliness at this point, but there were 2 players like that available to trade for last summer. It's not a miracle to assume there might be others available this summer. 

2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I'll just stop replying because this is silliness at this point, but there were 2 players like that available to trade for last summer. It's not a miracle to assume there might be others available this summer. 

I’m just trying to clarify you point. What you are saying is either that Bratt is a problem and he should be moved, or that on the off chance that some superstar becomes available, he should be trade bait for that, which is just common sense. So the whole premise is either nonsensical or completely obvious. 

You’ll stop replying because you know that it can’t be explained any other way. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m just trying to clarify you point. What you are saying is either that Bratt is a problem and he should be moved, or that on the off chance that some superstar becomes available, he should be trade bait for that, which is just common sense. So the whole premise is either nonsensical or completely obvious. 

You’ll stop replying because you know that it can’t be explained any other way. 

I don't consider Kevin Fiala to be a superstar. He's a great, fringe all-star forward who fits this team better than Jesper Bratt. I am saying that the Devils should explore trading a guy like Bratt for a guy like Fiala this offseason. I am saying I would rather the Devils pay a guy like Fiala $8.5 than a guy like Bratt $8.5. I am not saying "Bratt is a problem and should be moved", which is something I've said now eleven times in this thread.

I'll stop replying because you're hellbent on getting the last word, and nobody beats your lame ass at that. 

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I don't consider Kevin Fiala to be a superstar. He's a great, fringe all-star forward who fits this team better than Jesper Bratt. I am saying that the Devils should explore trading a guy like Bratt for a guy like Fiala this offseason. I am saying I would rather the Devils pay a guy like Fiala $8.5 than a guy like Bratt $8.5. I am not saying "Bratt is a problem and should be moved", which is something I've said now eleven times in this thread.

I'll stop replying because you're hellbent on getting the last word, and nobody beats your lame ass at that. 

I’m not, I’m just trying to figure out what the fvck you are saying because it wasn’t clear. Thanks for being such a peach and explaining in 12 posts what you could have done in 1 if you just answered a simple question every once in a while. 

Im not convinced a guy like Fiala is anything more than a lateral move, but that’s opinion. Also opinion is whether a PPG player in a league that only has about 35 of them is or is not a superstar. Just a regular star, I guess? Is that fair? 

Edited by mfitz804

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not, I’m just trying to figure out what the fvck you are saying because it wasn’t clear. Thanks for being such a peach and explaining in 12 posts what you could have done in 1 if you just answered a simple question every once in a while. 

Am I taking crazy pills? Are my posts not going through? 

All of these posts are from this thread. Copied and pasted.

• I don’t want him cut. I want him traded. 
  • at a point per game he is a valuable asset. I would prefer if that asset were traded in the off-season for a commensurately valuable asset
  • I don't want the Devils to cut Jesper Bratt. I don't want the Devils to trade Jesper Bratt for pennies. I am aware that Jesper Bratt is a valuable young player.
  • I would like to see the Devils make a hockey trade with Jesper Bratt in the offseason and bring in guys who compete, who play hard, who won't get pushed around in the playoffs, who don't disappear.
  • I’m not asking for him to be given away for free. I’m not calling him useless or terrible.
  • I think the Devils should explore trading Jesper Bratt in the offseason for a guy that plays like a Fiala or Tkachuk
  • I don't want to throw Jesper Bratt away. If the Devils re-sign him, I'll eagerly cheer for him. I don't hate him. I just think his playstyle a redundancy in a team with massive holes.

10 minutes ago, MB3 said:

• I don’t want him cut. I want him traded. 
  • at a point per game he is a valuable asset. I would prefer if that asset were traded in the off-season for a commensurately valuable asset
  • I don't want the Devils to cut Jesper Bratt. I don't want the Devils to trade Jesper Bratt for pennies. I am aware that Jesper Bratt is a valuable young player.
  • I would like to see the Devils make a hockey trade with Jesper Bratt in the offseason and bring in guys who compete, who play hard, who won't get pushed around in the playoffs, who don't disappear.
  • I’m not asking for him to be given away for free. I’m not calling him useless or terrible.
  • I think the Devils should explore trading Jesper Bratt in the offseason for a guy that plays like a Fiala or Tkachuk
  • I don't want to throw Jesper Bratt away. If the Devils re-sign him, I'll eagerly cheer for him. I don't hate him. I just think his playstyle a redundancy in a team with massive holes.

For someone who is going to stop posting, you sure do keep posting. You might want to evaluate the whole “who needs to have the last word” thing. 

It’s as simple as saying you want to trade Bratt for a player you consider to be an upgrade, which again, is just common sense. But when I said that, you couldn’t just answer it. 

One of your reasons for wanting to trade him is that “he disappears”, which is a really poor argument given he is basically PPG for the last 2 seasons and has only gone on a streak or not scoring for more than one game on two occasions this season (2 and 4 games respectively), I brought up how your premise on that was flawed, and of course you never responded to that either. 

None of what I said could be construed at all as saying you want him cut, I’m not sure why you keep repeating that. 

Of course, as I pointed out (and SD referred to as a unicorn), what we’re left with is that you’re talking about an eventuality where one of the top 35 or so guys in the game suddenly becomes available. It’s possible, sure. Is it likely, though? 

Edited by mfitz804

6 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

100%,  good teams also do is actually play like a good team lol. So I am hoping the Devil's figure out how to be consistent down the stretch to hopefully be in form when it matters the most. 

Marino really is a difference maker, which is not something I was expecting when we acquired him.

Upgrading Smith really doesn't seem like it would be too difficult. Someone like Luke Schenn from Vancouver with cup experience could be a nice addition. Although his Advanced Stats aren't great and that seems to be something the Devil's front office focus on. 

Schenn is defensively solid, but you might be right.  I think what matter for the Devils is the D make great outlet passes and contribute in the O-zone.  I don’t know if Schenn is that type of player.

Also, All I want is for the Devils to trade for Timo Meier. I mean come on, it's perfect.

He's available.

He knows Nico.

Holtz knows Eklund (1st and Holtz go the other way)

As long as they figure out how to fit it under the cap this season, he can be extended along with Bratt fairly easily. 

He plays a tougher style than anyone in the top six. It's a no brainer. 

27 minutes ago, njdevil26 said:

Also, All I want is for the Devils to trade for Timo Meier. I mean come on, it's perfect.

He's available.

He knows Nico.

As long as they figure out how to fit it under the cap this season, he can be extended along with Bratt fairly easily. 

There’s no doubt about it, Meier fits the mold of what we need. If I were Fitz I would be focusing on a guy like that. 

27 minutes ago, njdevil26 said:

He's available.

He knows Nico.

We can just wait for the summer and sign Meier then. Why trade anyone? 

As for a pending UFA signing an extension with the team that trades for him ... I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not sure Meier would agree to do that. 

9 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

We can just wait for the summer and sign Meier then. Why trade anyone? 

As for a pending UFA signing an extension with the team that trades for him ... I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not sure Meier would agree to do that. 

He’s not a pending UFA, though. He’s still an RFA after this year. 

23 hours ago, MB3 said:

i don’t want jesper bratt on this team next year. i just don’t. when he decides to play with literally any effort he’s a top-10 player in the whole game.  he takes shifts off, he takes periods off, he takes games off. he’s an unwilling useless winger in the defensive end and his flashes of brilliance are not worth $8m to this team, period. 

trade him in the off-season for a player who competes.

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

According to your first quote. That's a lie lol

3 hours ago, MB3 said:

And you did call him useless.

Edited by SterioDesign

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

“in the defensive end” is the critical part of that sentence you dolt.

Well... it's still calling him useless. But even if we let that one slide.... You still can't defend that you lied about not saying you wanted to move him and that he was problematic lol

You can lie to yourself man all day long man. Just don't lie to us :P

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well... it's still calling him useless. But even if we let that one slide.... You still can't defend that you lied about not saying you wanted to move him and that he was problematic lol

You can lie to yourself man all day long man. Just don't lie to us :P

Or at least, don’t expect not to be called on it lol. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Or at least, don’t expect not to be called on it lol. 

We all read and saw what happened lol not sure why he's trying to back-pedal. It's still ALL THERE lol  This wasn't a conversation like we were talking about potential players to target like...

"man i'd kill to have a player like Fiala on this team, he's exactly what we need. He's likely not available and would cost a lot but depending on how the Bratt negotiations goes and if he wants too much we might be forced to make a move and then he'd be expandable for this kind of hockey trade, then it would be a good opportunity to get a different kind of player that fits our need"

like he's trying to pretend he was doing lol No it was...

* Bratt not doing "enough" to prevent a goal that cost us the game *

"i don’t want jesper bratt on this team next year. i just don’t. when he decides to play with literally any effort he’s a top-10 player in the whole game.  he takes shifts off, he takes periods off, he takes games off. he’s an unwilling useless winger in the defensive end and his flashes of brilliance are not worth $8m to this team, period.

trade him in the off-season for a player who competes.

I think paying a guy who takes off several shifts per game $8.5m is a paramountly idiotic thing to do."

This was a rage post wanting Bratt out through and through lol then he's claiming he never said things he straight up said. What a special special person