Jump to content

New Around The League Thread


Colorado Rockies 1976
 Share

Recommended Posts

Rangers up 3-1 over the Panthers in the third…bleech.

Islanders season is really falling apart…losing 4-2 to the Leafs.  If that holds up they’ll be 8-13-5 in their last 26 games.  Yikes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Damn, Rangers have blown it open with a quick pair…up 5-1.  Boo.

Isles trailing 5-2 and haven’t scored a third-period goal in 9 games…quite possibly could be 10 games shortly. Damn that’s just brutal.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Damn, Rangers have blown it open with a quick pair…up 5-1.  Boo.

Isles trailing 5-2 and haven’t scored a third-period goal in 9 games…quite possibly could be 10 games shortly. Damn that’s just brutal.

I know it's still only January but if the season ended today we would play the Rangers in the first round. I'd like to not take a few years off my life and hopefully avoid that situation lol

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I know it's still only January but if the season ended today we would play the Rangers in the first round. I'd like to not take a few years off my life and hopefully avoid that situation lol

Yeah would rather not face them…Shesterkin would scare me a bit.  He can get hot.

Isles only four points up on the Flyers, with the Flyers having a game in hand.  Canning Trotz is looking like a sh!t move with every loss…

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I know it's still only January but if the season ended today we would play the Rangers in the first round. I'd like to not take a few years off my life and hopefully avoid that situation lol

Caps are right on the Rags’ tails. I’d rather face Washington. Although they have had our number for years, so maybe not lol

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm gonna be nervous no matter who we play, mostly because I want to get past the first round pretty badly.  I'll definitely be happy if and assuming we make the playoffs at all, since that's managed to escape us for many seasons in recent years. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Rangers up 3-1 over the Panthers in the third…bleech.

Islanders season is really falling apart…losing 4-2 to the Leafs.  If that holds up they’ll be 8-13-5 in their last 26 games.  Yikes.

If the Islanders continue to fall apart, do you think Lou would consider trading assets?Or, continue with this core and add, whether it would be by the trade deadline or the off-season?  The reason why I bring it up is if Timo Meier is not possible, maybe, Anders Lee or Brock Nelson could be the power forward the Devils need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Puckbuster said:

If the Islanders continue to fall apart, do you think Lou would consider trading assets?Or, continue with this core and add, whether it would be by the trade deadline or the off-season?  The reason why I bring it up is if Timo Meier is not possible, maybe, Anders Lee or Brock Nelson could be the power forward the Devils need.

Can’t see him trading to a division rival.

This is a bit of a crossroads for Lou…he does have a fine young goalie in Sorokin, and there’s some good pieces there…but he has simply not done much of a good job augmenting what he inherited.  Islander fans have been getting on his case and I can understand why…especially since he fired a coach that really didn’t deserve to be let go.  Yes, Lou oversaw three Cup winners, but 2003 was a long time (and two franchises) ago.  He’s simply not going to get the same leeway from that fanbase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Can’t see him trading to a division rival.

This is a bit of a crossroads for Lou…he does have a fine young goalie in Sorokin, and there’s some good pieces there…but he has simply not done much of a good job augmenting what he inherited.  Islander fans have been getting on his case and I can understand why…especially since he fired a coach that really didn’t deserve to be let go.  Yes, Lou oversaw three Cup winners, but 2003 was a long time (and two franchises) ago.  He’s simply not going to get the same leeway from that fanbase.

Yeah, he's not going to get leeway from a fanbase that he didn't help deliver 3 Cups to lol.  If I were an Islander fan, I'd look at his resume as confidence that he might be able to deliver based on past performance, but if/when he comes up short (kind of like he might be now), I wouldn't have any allegiance to him whatsoever since he hasn't really done too much for my franchise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Can’t see him trading to a division rival.

This is a bit of a crossroads for Lou…he does have a fine young goalie in Sorokin, and there’s some good pieces there…but he has simply not done much of a good job augmenting what he inherited.  Islander fans have been getting on his case and I can understand why…especially since he fired a coach that really didn’t deserve to be let go.  Yes, Lou oversaw three Cup winners, but 2003 was a long time (and two franchises) ago.  He’s simply not going to get the same leeway from that fanbase.

He did make two trades with the Devils, so he might be willing to make a trade to a division rival, again.

I do agree that he made a bad decision letting a great coach go and he really hasn’t done anything to build a team that was, essentially, built.  If remember correctly, however, he did decide to go a different route with the goal situation after his first year.  That did work out well.

I’m just thinking the Devils might need to look elsewhere for a solid power forward.  Time Meier will come at a high price, although, he is a great player and would help immediately. There are some good power forwards that are not, necessarily, bargain basement and think someone like Lee would be a big contributor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

He did make two trades with the Devils, so he might be willing to make a trade to a division rival, again.

I do agree that he made a bad decision letting a great coach go and he really hasn’t done anything to build a team that was, essentially, built.  If remember correctly, however, he did decide to go a different route with the goal situation after his first year.  That did work out well.

I’m just thinking the Devils might need to look elsewhere for a solid power forward.  Time Meier will come at a high price, although, he is a great player and would help immediately. There are some good power forwards that are not, necessarily, bargain basement and think someone like Lee would be a big contributor.

I want NJ to get Meier but I will admit this team still lacks needed toughness. I still can't believe Lou let Eberle get taken in the expansion draft. He lost a 40+ point guy for nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, he's not going to get leeway from a fanbase that he didn't help deliver 3 Cups to lol.  If I were an Islander fan, I'd look at his resume as confidence that he might be able to deliver based on past performance, but if/when he comes up short (kind of like he might be now), I wouldn't have any allegiance to him whatsoever since he hasn't really done too much for my franchise. 

If they don’t make the playoffs, that is two years wasted on a team that should make the playoffs.  As much as, I love what Lou did for the Devils, I think he is the problem for the Islanders.  I say this because, I think he  wants them to play that defensive style, that the Devils played, with all that talent.

Edited by Puckbuster
Grammar and spelling. Probably, still wrong.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I want NJ to get Meier but I will admit this team still lacks needed toughness. I still can't believe Lou let Eberle get taken in the expansion draft. He lost a 40+ point guy for nothing.

Oh, I want Meier too.  But, if it’s something that can’t be done, then they need to look elsewhere before they are left with scraps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Oh, I want Meier too.  But, if it’s something that can’t be done, then they need to look elsewhere before they are left with scraps.

I don't think it is out of the question. Holtz and a pick, and possibly a player, sounds reasonable.

As far as the cap, they hopefully only need another 2-3MM for Bratt's raise, but if I am reading Capfriendly correctly something like 19.5MM opening up, plus the 1MM for the cap raise next season, and Bernier falling off at 4.4MM.

Graves, Severson, Tatar, Wood, Haula and Johnsson UFAs // Sharongovich, Mcleod, Boqvist, Zetterlund, Blackwood, and Bastian RFAs to give qualifying offers to.

I don't know who the Devils re-sign off that first list. Hopefully just Tatar for a cheap 3rd line role and maybe Wood. One of Graves or Severson gets dealt at the deadline and the other one stays. There is a good chunk of money opening up....like 24MM(again I think, someone like CR or Nicomo can point out if I am way off). I don't think the RFAs NJ has to qualify are going to really eat up a massive amount chunk of money assuming they don't all get decent raises.

EDIT: Actually, idk if both Wood and Tatar can stay. One is going to have to go, but at that price range I would almost just rather NJ go to the UFA market and get someone with more toughness for the bottom 6. Zetterlund and one other young guy going to have to stick in the bottom 6.

Edited by NJDevils1214
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't think it is out of the question. Holtz and a pick, and possibly a player, sounds reasonable.

As far as the cap, they hopefully only need another 2-3MM for Bratt's raise, but if I am reading Capfriendly correctly something like 19.5MM opening up, plus the 1MM for the cap raise next season, and Bernier falling off at 4.4MM.

Graves, Severson, Tatar, Wood, Haula and Johnsson UFAs // Sharongovich, Mcleod, Boqvist, Zetterlund, Blackwood, and Bastian RFAs to give qualifying offers to.

I don't know who the Devils re-sign off that first list. Hopefully just Tatar for a cheap 3rd line role and maybe Wood. One of Graves or Severson gets dealt at the deadline and the other one stays. There is a good chunk of money opening up....like 24MM(again I think, someone like CR or Nicomo can point out if I am way off). I don't think the RFAs NJ has to qualify are going to really eat up a massive amount chunk of money assuming they don't all get decent raises.

Holtz, a pick and a player doesn’t sound unreasonable, but it all depends on the player they want.  I just think, they will want Mercer over Sharan and I can’t say that is an unreasonable ask for Meier.  Grier is going to need to ice a team with potential for a future core.  I can’t imagine that he sees Holtz and Sharan as part of a future core considering how both are playing this year.  If the Devils can pull off Holtz, Sharan and a pick, we will all look back at this as a fleecing, unless, the late first round becomes the second coming of Meier, Sharan becomes a solid middle six depth scorer and Holtz becomes a 40+ goal scorer.  I don’t see the latter two happening and the pick is a crap shoot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

EDIT: Actually, idk if both Wood and Tatar can stay. One is going to have to go, but at that price range I would almost just rather NJ go to the UFA market and get someone with more toughness for the bottom 6. Zetterlund and one other young guy going to have to stick in the bottom 6.

They will have a lot of option during the off-season.  Who knows what Fitz does with all the RFAs and UFAs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Holtz, a pick and a player doesn’t sound unreasonable, but it all depends on the player they want.  I just think, they will want Mercer over Sharan and I can’t say that is an unreasonable ask for Meier.  Grier is going to need to ice a team with potential for a future core.  I can’t imagine that he sees Holtz and Sharan as part of a future core considering how both are playing this year.  If the Devils can pull off Holtz, Sharan and a pick, we will all look back at this as a fleecing, unless, the late first round becomes the second coming of Meier, Sharan becomes a solid middle six depth scorer and Holtz becomes a 40+ goal scorer.  I don’t see the latter two happening and the pick is a crap shoot.

I said the same thing you are last week. If Grier has to have a roster player in the deal he is going to ask for Mercer and the Devils will say Sharon...but with Horvat on the market now too that helps NJ since they can just go talk to Vancouver if Grier wants to play hardball.

For what it is worth, the rumor from Frank Seravalli was that they wanted a prospect and 2 picks I think. No roster player. Elliot Friedman has been saying NJ for weeks and also said SJ wants to be aggressive, so not sure what that means for them wanting to play hardball or not.

Again, all of it hinges on the contract negotiation with the players. If that doesn't work out a trade is moot. NJ is in a good position cause there aren't a ton of teams that can afford these guys.

Edited by NJDevils1214
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I said the same thing you are last week. If Grier has to have a roster player in the deal he is going to ask for Mercer and the Devils will say Sharon...but with Horvat on the market now too that helps NJ since they can just go talk to Vancouver if Grier wants to play hardball.

For what it is worth, the rumor from Frank Seravalli was that they wanted a prospect and 2 picks I think. No roster player. Elliot Friedman has been saying NJ for weeks and also said SJ wants to be aggressive, so not sure what that means for them wanting to play hardball or not.

Again, all of it hinges on the contract negotiation with the players. If that doesn't work out a trade is moot. NJ is in a good position cause there aren't a ton of teams that can afford these guys.

Bo Horvat is a center.  Does he play wing?

A prospect and two picks for Meier sounds reasonable.

I know Meier has a $10m qualifying offer, but is that for 8 years?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Puckbuster said:

Bo Horvat is a center.  Does he play wing?

A prospect and two picks for Meier sounds reasonable.

I know Meier has a $10m qualifying offer, but is that for 8 years?

Qualifying offer is only a single year. Teams & players can negotiate a new deal with a QO offered, but once it’s signed, the player cannot sign an extension on a QO until, I think, 1 January.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Lmfao Rags

Yeah they give up a goal pretty late in the 3rd and then Marner with a hell of an OT goal.

Isles free-fall continues as they lose 2-1 to the Sens.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.