New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

18 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

My best friend is a Sabres fan and we haven't been able to watch a series against each other yet, so I definitely hope so.

Dude same. That's the only reason I follow. And it's kind of addicting to watch struggling young team become good. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

Does anyone feel that defensemen are under represented for the all-star game? The Metro and Pacific have 1 each, the  Central has 3 and the Altantic has 0.  Also, does anyone hat the fact that the Rangers have 3 players representing them?  

I've over All-Star games in general...for one, in the case of football, basketball, and hockey, they're mostly playing at half-speed...and hockey's gotten to the point where they can't even "Play it straight"...they have to gimmick it up.  Baseball's ASG at least comes much closer to the regular season product.  And the HR derby is fun (though to be fair the NHL Skills competitions can be too).  

My issue with ASGs these days is heaven forbid one of your star players gets hurt in one...for all of the fun that this season has been, could you imagine if Jack was injured in a friggin' ALL STAR GAME and had to miss significant time?  I'm to the point where I'd just rather have an All-Star team in name only...the honor is still there, but at no risk to the player's health.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've over All-Star games in general...for one, in the case of football, basketball, and hockey, they're mostly playing at half-speed...and hockey's gotten to the point where they can't even "Play it straight"...they have to gimmick it up.  Baseball's ASG at least comes much closer to the regular season product.  And the HR derby is fun (though to be fair the NHL Skills competitions can be too).  

My issue with ASGs these days is heaven forbid one of your star players gets hurt in one...for all of the fun that this season has been, could you imagine if Jack was injured in a friggin' ALL STAR GAME and had to miss significant time?  I'm to the point where I'd just rather have an All-Star team in name only...the honor is still there, but at no risk to the player's health.   

I don't remember a player getting hurt at an ASG. Unless someone skating hard, falls and goes hard ito the boards maybe?  With 3 on 3 format no one typically gets hurt because there's no hitting. End to end rushes, no tight checking.  I like 3 on 3 format. They actually compete. 5 on 5 was a joke. No defense shot blocking (stuff that actually goes on in a regular game)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I don't remember a player getting hurt at an ASG. Unless someone skating hard, falls and goes hard ito the boards maybe?  With 3 on 3 format no one typically gets hurt because there's no hitting. End to end rushes, no tight checking.  I like 3 on 3 format. They actually compete. 5 on 5 was a joke. No defense shot blocking (stuff that actually goes on in a regular game)

I agree, for the ASG the 3 on 3 format makes sense. You are not getting a real game in an ASG. This format gets us the closest to that

7 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Tavares a few years ago. Missed over a month too.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Tavares a few years ago. Missed over a month too.

The other thing was back in the day when out-of-town teams and players were less accessible and you couldn't just dial up any given game's highlights on a phone, All Star Games gave you a chance to see those players...maybe your ONLY chance to really see them.  There's much less mystique with these players now...hell, some players consider having to go to All Star Games more of a hassle now than an honor...they'd rather take some rest days, and given how long these seasons are, I can't say that I entirely blame them.  The fans STILL get plenty of opportunities to see them do their thing, in games that matter and count. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The other thing was back in the day when out-of-town team and players were less accessible and you couldn't just dial up any given game's highlights on a phone, All Star Games gave you a chance to see those players...maybe your ONLY chance to really see them.  There's much less mystique with these players now...hell, some players consider having to go to All Star Games more of a hassle now than an honor...they'd rather take some rest days, and given how long these seasons are, I can't say that I entirely blame them.  The fans STILL get plenty of opportunities to see them do their thing, in games that matter and count. 

That was the draw to me. The all star games in the 80s and 90s felt like such a big deal, like who will Gretzky play with, can Hasek stop this guy, etc. It also didn’t hurt that we had 2-3 players as locks every year for a while between Marty, Stevens, Neids, Elias, Rafalski etc 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That was the draw to me. The all star games in the 80s and 90s felt like such a big deal, like who will Gretzky play with, can Hasek stop this guy, etc. It also didn’t hurt that we had 2-3 players as locks every year for a while between Marty, Stevens, Neids, Elias, Rafalski etc 

And Gretzky himself brought a certain urgency to that kind of event that no else has been able to since…and at one point, you had Gretzky AND Lemieux at these things.  As awesome as McDavid is, he’ll never have that “I just GOTTA see HIM” aura that Gretzky did.  And very likely of course that no one ever will.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Richter stepped on a puck during the rapid fire competition almost thirty years ago and completely derailed his career. After the cup, obviously, but its why his career went downhill

Friggin’ Canes…came into the third down 4-1 vs the Kings and have now tied it up with about 7 minutes left.  fvckers.

• Angry 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The other thing was back in the day when out-of-town teams and players were less accessible and you couldn't just dial up any given game's highlights on a phone, All Star Games gave you a chance to see those players...maybe your ONLY chance to really see them.  There's much less mystique with these players now...hell, some players consider having to go to All Star Games more of a hassle now than an honor...they'd rather take some rest days, and given how long these seasons are, I can't say that I entirely blame them.  The fans STILL get plenty of opportunities to see them do their thing, in games that matter and count. 

Maybe they should just do a skills challenge.  

A bit off topic, but I think it would be cool if they did a league wide prospect challenge to kick off the preseason.

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And Gretzky himself brought a certain urgency to that kind of event that no else has been able to since…and at one point, you had Gretzky AND Lemieux at these things.  As awesome as McDavid is, he’ll never have that “I just GOTTA see HIM” aura that Gretzky did.  And very likely of course that no one ever will.  

That’s a great point.  I feel that it applies to all sports.  There was a time where certain players were household names that even mom knew.  Jordan, Montana, Gretzky and Reggie Jackson, just as an example from each sport.  I think players want to live a private life, maybe do some regional commercials and that’s it.