New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

Sharks seem like a team that just hasn't been able to put it all together to make a good run. At times they've had really good offense (Couture, Hertl, Meier, hell, they even had Cheechoo lead the league in goals back in the day!), good defense (Burns, Karlsson), and somewhat decent goaltending (Niemi, Jones, Dell).  

Definitely seems like their "window", if they really had one, is closing, if not already shut. Not sure what they can do besides a full tear down and rebuild, which has to be tough for their fanbase. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

They’re wasting a hell of a season from Karlsson, too. 

The good news is that Karlsson potentially flirting with 100 points makes him much more tradeable, even with the insane amount of money still due him.  No one was touching him based on his 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons; now maybe there's at least some kind of chance that the Sharks can get out from under that contract.

That being said, he's still not terribly desirable...any team that trades for him is paying absolute top dollar for his Age 33-36 seasons...and gotta think the Sharks will have to pick up some of that tab (at least $3 million AAV) before anyone even considers adding him to their payroll (and the Sharks already have dead space).  It could wind up being that whatever good seasons Karlsson has left do indeed wind up getting wasted on a bad Sharks team.   

5 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Flyers have fired Chuck Fletcher.  Too bad, he was doing a really good job of tearing that club apart.    

Good thing Torts has made them just good enough to not be the favorites to land Bedard. Cause that is basically an AHL roster. 

21 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Flyers have fired Chuck Fletcher.  Too bad, he was doing a really good job of tearing that club apart.    

Yeah seriously could he have done much worse?!

Will be interesting to see if the next guy decides to keep Torts on.  

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Good thing Torts has made them just good enough to not be the favorites to land Bedard. Cause that is basically an AHL roster. 

That seems to be over...they've been awful for a while now...4-10-4 in their last 18.  They were actually 20-20-7 at one point...obviously still bad, but not horrific.

I get the feeling that they'll keep sinking...but yeah, probably not enough to land in the bottom three.  Lots of sh!t teams down there along with them. 

35 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

That leaves Hextall as the front runner for the Peter Chiarelli "Dumbest GM of The Season" award then.

5 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Trades can be made after the deadline but any players included are ineligible for the playoffs.. but yeah this is an odd transaction 

I know ineligible for NHL playoffs but what abt AHL playoffs?

On 3/10/2023 at 8:26 AM, NJDfan1711 said:

Sharks seem like a team that just hasn't been able to put it all together to make a good run. At times they've had really good offense (Couture, Hertl, Meier, hell, they even had Cheechoo lead the league in goals back in the day!), good defense (Burns, Karlsson), and somewhat decent goaltending (Niemi, Jones, Dell).  

Definitely seems like their "window", if they really had one, is closing, if not already shut. Not sure what they can do besides a full tear down and rebuild, which has to be tough for their fanbase. 

They definitely had a window.  Going all the way back to Nabokov’s rookie year, they actually had a really good two decades and did make a Stanley Cup final against the Pens but yeah, it looks like they need to tear it all down and start over at this point.  

My understanding is that ownership wants a re-tool.   Good luck with that.  I think they’re beyond that point.   

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

should be a good game tomorrow. cause we know carolina ain't happy. we should beat them though. 

We should? If we win I’ll be happy but the Canes are an absolute wagon. I don’t expect to beat them. Feels like they haven’t lost back-to-back games very often this season. Hell, it usually feels like they never lose at all. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

We should? If we win I’ll be happy but the Canes are an absolute wagon. I don’t expect to beat them. Feels like they haven’t lost back-to-back games very often this season. Hell, it usually feels like they never lose at all. 

yea. i think this team should win tomorrow. time to put on the playoff pants. 

5 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Obviously a very small sample size, but Johnathan Quick is 3-0-0, .939 save percentage since coming over to Vegas....

image.thumb.png.437319ecc53698a8ae49e88951fc2c18.png

Good for him.  It’d be a hell of a story if it turns out that he actually has a little something left.

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Besides the one bad month we have been an absolute wagon too. We have almost the same record and in the past 10 we are 7-2-1 and they are 7-3. 

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Besides the one bad month we have been an absolute wagon too. We have almost the same record and in the past 10 we are 7-2-1 and they are 7-3. 

Since the Devils snapped out of that 1-7-1 funk (their only one this entire season, really, as far as banking points goes), they’re 21-5-4.  The Canes have gone 21-7-2.  It’s funny, as much as for us it’s “Geez do those guys EVER lose?!”, for them it has to be “We can’t friggin’ shake that team!”  21-7-2 is plenty great, and the Devils have managed to pick up two points on the Canes.

• Like 1