New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

That's Gary.  "You don't know what you really want, I do!"  He and Roger are the commissioner kings of the arrogant double-down.

I'd rather just go back to 1-8 myself.  Curious to see how a fan vote would turn out.  I'm guessing at least 70% would favor 1-8.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's Gary.  "You don't know what you really want, I do!"  He and Roger are the commissioner kings of the arrogant double-down.

I'd rather just go back to 1-8 myself.  Curious to see how a fan vote would turn out.  I'm guessing at least 70% would favor 1-8.  

Give me 1-8 but just don't guarantee the top 3 slots for the division winners, they are guaranteed a playoff spot but if they are actually ranked 5th then they get 5th, etc. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I want a reporter to just call it like it is with that a$$hole for once. Just tell him he’s wrong to his face, tell him he’s an arrogant twat to his face and go from there. Let his fragile little ego get pummeled.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Give me 1-8 but just don't guarantee the top 3 slots for the division winners, they are guaranteed a playoff spot but if they are actually ranked 5th then they get 5th, etc. 

If the NHL were to stick with two division winners, then only the Top 2 slots would be for division winners.  Everyone else (3-8) would slot in behind.  I think the division winners should get the 1st and 2nd seeds in the first round.

I say after that first round though, re-seeding is based strictly on point%.  So if one division is weak and the division winner, has, say, the 5th-best record in the conference, then from the second round on, that team is treated like a 5th seed, even with having won its division and having earned 2nd-best seeding in the first round.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the NHL were to stick with two division winners, then only the Top 2 slots would be for division winners.  Everyone else (3-8) would slot in behind.  I think the division winners should get the 1st and 2nd seeds in the first round.

I say after that first round though, re-seeding is based strictly on point%.  So if one division is weak and the division winner, has, say, the 5th-best record in the conference, then from the second round on, that team is treated like a 5th seed, even with having won its division and having earned 2nd-best seeding in the first round.  

I don't hate it, I really hope they don't expand more, adding Houston and Atlanta would make the divisions uneven again, at that point just add 2 more and make it 36.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't hate it, I really hope they don't expand more, adding Houston and Atlanta would make the divisions uneven again, at that point just add 2 more and make it 36.

Is the bolded really a thing?  And call me nuts but why in actual fvck does Atlanta get a THIRD shot at having an NHL team?!  Maybe NHL hockey just isn't meant to be there?

Yeah I hope no more expansion too.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I'm not surprised at all.  They wouldn't want to scrap the bracket challenge with all the gambling sponsorships they have.

Then say that. Don’t blow smoke up our asses that everything is great and everyone loves the playoff format. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Is the bolded really a thing?  And call me nuts but why in actual fvck does Atlanta get a THIRD shot at having an NHL team?!  Maybe NHL hockey just isn't meant to be there?

Yeah no more expansion, and fvck Atlanta. Two strikes and you’re out. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Bucchigross and Weekes have both been talking about it so definitely some smoke here. From a viewership perspective Houston is one of the biggest markets in the country and Atlanta's population keeps growing so its becoming a bigger market too. I hope neither happens but I do understand why the league wants Houston at least. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Atlanta getting another shot is a joke.  The Flames weren't even that bad...they were competitive for most of their time there, and they only lasted 8 seasons.  Thrashers managed to make it 11 seasons and though they weren't all that great, they did have some bankable stars.

I'm just at a loss as to how anyone can ever spin this as a "Third time's a charm!" scenario.  Why is Atlanta now suddenly a great place for an NHL team, when it wasn't in the 1970s, and wasn't again in the 2000s?  And at the very least is it impossible to explore the idea of a Coyotes move?  Does Gary have to keep trying to make fetch happen in Arizona?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

9 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I feel the same way, the Canadian cities should definitely get first dibs for any future expansions at this point.

Well if Atlanta ever got a team, some Canadian city can look forward to that team eventually moving there in 10 years or so…

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well if Atlanta ever got a team, some Canadian city can look forward to that team eventually moving there in 10 years or so…

Atlanta getting another team is Quebec City’s best chance to get back in the NHL.

• Like 1

The other thing is even though they will be called Atlanta they will be out in Alpharetta in a new arena cause apparently the hockey base there doesn't wanna go downtown. This arena and area is more suburbs apparently. 

Not saying it's gonna work cause I have no clue but reading about that's what the consensus seems to be. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

9 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

What a sh!t non-apology. Would've rather they said nothing. What a complete insult. 

Yeah it’s really hard to give this guy much of the benefit of the doubt because what he did just flat-out sucked, but what can he really do or say that could repair his public image?  I gotta admit it…I don’t really have an answer for that.  The fact that he could even do what he did at all makes me wonder how much inherent “goodness” there really is to work with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah it’s really hard to give this guy much of the benefit of the doubt because what he did just flat-out sucked, but what can he really do or say that could repair his public image?  I gotta admit it…I don’t really have an answer for that.  The fact that he could even do what he did at all makes we wonder how much inherent “goodness” there really is to work with.

Exactly and if he didn't apologize that's a bad look too, it's a lose lose situation which he rightfully deserves since a 23 year old should know better. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

17 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Exactly and if he didn't apologize that's a bad look too, it's a lose lose situation which he rightfully owned since a 23 year old should know better. 

I’ve seen my share of “He’s a kid who made a bad mistake” takes out there, but I don’t consider a 23-year-old a “kid”.  And yeah I’m all about second chances, depending on the mistake…but man, I really gotta know what the fvck was going on inside his head.  I can’t imagine how that poor woman felt when she saw what happened to her wheelchair. 

• Like 2

Regarding Atlanta: Friedman talked about it last week on 32 Thoughts how none of the original ownerships ever wanted to keep teams there or something to that degree (since none were local or even in Georgia or something) but if there were to be a new team, it’s a different story causes it’s a grass roots effort and not in bad locations or something.

sorry, had a bad day today, had a couple pints, memory is a little hazy.

10 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Regarding Atlanta: Friedman talked about it last week on 32 Thoughts how none of the original ownerships ever wanted to keep teams there or something to that degree (since none were local or even in Georgia or something) but if there were to be a new team, it’s a different story causes it’s a grass roots effort and not in bad locations or something.

sorry, had a bad day today, had a couple pints, memory is a little hazy.

Hope all is better bro

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don’t want to see anymore expansion.  It would dilute the talent further.

40 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Hope all is better bro

Love ya bud, appreciate it. It will be eventually, thankfully it’s not me directly, just a good friend I’m worried about (feels wrong to put it that way but I do gotta prioritize #1).

Gonna pull a Ted Lasso, 10 second goldfish and be good in the AM

• Like 1