New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

That's a shame.  That would have been a highly flammable situation sooner rather than later that I would have enjoyed watching.   

Big boom/bust potential with Roy. I want them to hire Hynes. That would be fvcking hilarious 🤣

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Big boom/bust potential with Roy. I want them to hire Hynes. That would be fvcking hilarious 🤣

Hilarious AND disastrous I would suspect.  Laviolette is obviously no sure thing but no way if my only choices are him or Hynes do I not go with Laviolette.  The best news would be that the Rangers are clearly rudderless under Drury…how long before Ranger fans start calling him Dreary?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

That's a shame.  That would have been a highly flammable situation sooner rather than later that I would have enjoyed watching.   

Man, they don't mind paying top dollar up in Canada based on projections.  The dude has a career high of 43 points.  I know they all fell in love with Caufield during their run to the cup finals but he hasn't played more than 67 games in his two seasons.   Seems like if you're locking him up long term now, this AAV should have been a lot lower.      

Calculated risk.  You can either sign a guy like him to a 3-to-5 year bridge deal and wind up potentially having to pay him a ton the next time around (if he flourishes), or go all-in on term and hope he becomes a bargain ASAP.  Pros and cons with both MOs obviously.  I think factoring in everything, I would’ve gone 5 years max for Caufield.  The injuries give me pause too.

BTW Caufield’s AAV for his new deal is $7.85 million.  I would gone $7.5 million or so for 4-5 years, but if he blossoms and stays healthy, his current deal will definitely feel like a steal down the line.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Calculated risk.  You can either sign a guy like him to a 3-to-5 year bridge deal and wind up potentially having to pay him a ton the next time around (if he flourishes), or go all-in on term and hope he becomes a bargain ASAP.  Pros and cons with both MOs obviously.  I think factoring in everything, I would’ve gone 5 years max for Caufield.  The injuries give me pause too.  

Right but given that they did bet on him for 8 years, shouldn't the number be lower for taking that risk?  Hintz got 8.45 coming off 70+ point seasons and he's a center.  Caufield has a career high of 43 points in 67 games which still only projects to 52.6 points over a full 82 games.   If you're making a bet on those numbers, I feel like the AAV has to start with a 6.   

Maybe I'm just becoming my DAD where I think everything is too expensive now.       

11 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Right but given that they did bet on him for 8 years, shouldn't the number be lower for taking that risk?  Hintz got 8.45 coming off 70+ point seasons and he's a center.  Caufield has a career high of 43 points in 67 games which still only projects to 52.6 points over a full 82 games.   If you're making a bet on those numbers, I feel like the AAV has to start with a 6.   

Pretty sure it was hinted last season that Caufield could have, and wanted, to play but MTL shut him down... Gary says no one tried to tank on purpose in this league though...

Jack and Nico had their injuries early on too, but they showed last year they have what it takes now to play the full season.

Caufield will show he's worth the money he just got once MTL builds a better team around him and Suzuki, and when he's fine tuned his game for the NHL just like Jack had to. MTL has been a dumpster fire over the last two seasons. I can totally see a Hughes-like breakout year coming for Caufield down the road.

51 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Depends on how you look at it.

His camp could take the "OK, maybe $6 - 6.5 million AAV for 3-4 years, and then we go for eight digits for the next one!" approach, or they can take a "OK, we'll sign for max term and potentially leave a lot of money on the table (we will lock ourselves into a LOT of money), but if we're doing that, you've gotta make it worth our while" tact.

Jack Hughes looks like a steal now, but at the time he signed his deal, he had just come off missing almost two months to injury, and at that point had just 120 GP, 20 G, 35 A, and 55 Points to his name.  Caufield currently has 123 GP and 84 points to his name, for whatever that's worth.  These deals are obviously risky as fvck (all long-term deals are), but I definitely understood Fitz doing it for Jack.  And even though I'm less bullish on the Canadiens doing it for Caufield, I get it.  

Basically, if the goal is to lock up a guy full-term before he's really done a lot (but you feel like he WILL, like Fitz did with Jack), you gotta find that "sweet spot" where the player doesn't feel tempted to try to get absolute top-end dough coming off a bridge deal.  Close to $8 million AAV is what it takes to get a Caufield type to forego a short-term "I'll get mine later!" deal...$6 million AAV over 8 years for a guy who scored at a 46 G per 82 GP pace last season (and is at 35 G per 82 GP for his brief career) simply isn't tempting enough.  Go that route and Caufield's camp will say "OK, screw it, 3-year $6.5 million AAV bridge deal it is, see ya in a few years!" 

Now, to be fair...Montreal could easily have gone that route and maybe by the end of such a hypothetical three-year deal, they would've looked like geniuses for not signing him to a full-term deal.  Like I said, pros and cons with both approaches.

One last thought:  I suspect this is what Fitz was trying to do with Bratt...offer 6+ years but at an AAV simply too low for Bratt's liking.  They couldn't find that sweet spot, so here we are again.  I get the feeling Bratt's camp wants a minimum of $8 million AAV to sign long-term.  We'll see if Fitz is willing. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Depends on how you look at it.

His camp could take the "OK, maybe $6 - 6.5 million AAV for 3-4 years, and then we go for eight digits for the next one!" approach, or they can take a "OK, we'll sign for max term and potentially leave a lot of money on the table (we will lock ourselves into a LOT of money), but if we're doing that, you've gotta make it worth our while" tact.

Jack Hughes looks like a steal now, but at the time he signed his deal, he had just come off missing almost two months to injury, and at that point had just 120 GP, 20 G, 35 A, and 55 Points to his name.  Caufield currently has 123 GP and 84 points to his name, for whatever that's worth.  These deals are obviously risky as fvck (all long-term deals are), but I definitely understood Fitz doing it for Jack.  And even though I'm less bullish on the Canadiens doing it for Caufield, I get it.  

Basically, if the goal is to lock up a guy full-term before he's really done a lot (but you feel like he WILL, like Fitz did with Jack), you gotta find that "sweet spot" where the player doesn't feel tempted to try to get absolute top-end dough coming off a bridge deal.  Close to $8 million AAV is what it takes to get a Caufield type to forego a short-term "I'll get mine" deal...$6 million AAV over 8 years for a guy who scored at a 46 G per 82 GP pace last season (and is at 35 G per 82 GP for his brief career) simply isn't tempting enough.  Go that route and Caufield's camp will say "OK, screw it, 3-year $6.5 million AAV bridge deal it is, see ya in a few years!" 

Now, to be fair...Montreal could easily have gone that route and maybe by the end of such a hypothetical three-year deal, they would've looked like geniuses for not signing him to a full-term deal.  Like I said, pros and cons with both approaches.

Dude you come in with these responses and then I bet no one even reads what I have to say....lower the bar ffs!!

Oh Come On Jim Carrey GIF

In all seriousness, I agree. He's going to grow into the deal and MTL doing this is a nod to Caufield that they believe in him and I'm sure goes some way to keeping him happy in the next negotiation.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Dude you come in with these responses and then I bet no one even reads what I have to say....lower the bar ffs!!

Oh Come On Jim Carrey GIF

In all seriousness, I agree. He's going to grow into the deal and MTL doing this is a nod to Caufield that they believe in him and I'm sure goes some way to keeping him happy in the next negotiation.

I read all your posts. :devil:

• EvilHeart 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And even though I'm less bullish on the Canadiens doing it for Caufield, I get it.

I guess this is my problem.   Even when Jack was posting 30 point seasons, I never had a doubt he would grow into a superstar.   I honestly don't watch Caufield that much but in general, I'm way less sure about a 5'-7" winger that is fairly one dimensional.  I know that one dimension gets you PAID, but still.   

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Caufield will show he's worth the money he just got once MTL builds a better team around him and Suzuki

He probably will.  I just feel like this seems high when you're committing this early.  Also, I really just wanted to quote you to prove I read your post.   😉 

• Like 1
  • EvilHeart 1

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I feel like it isn't common for trades to happen right now. It's like bonus entertainment.

The league doesn’t typically like trades and coach hirings during the Finals. I say fvck the league, because we aren’t in the Finals so I don’t give a sh!t lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I don't get what the Bluejackets are doing in the slightest. 

They've always been a bit of a rudderless ship.   You hear a lot about how young they are but most of their big names are 25 or older and you don't sign Gaudreau because you're targeting the '25-'26 season to turn the corner.    Now they are going to throw Bobcock in there to light a match?    Kind of amazing that Kekalienen is still calling the shots out there.    

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s like finding out you won 100 Grand- but it’s just a candy bar, and not money 🤣

• Haha 1