New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

3 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I’ve just never been a fan.  To me, It seems like he causes just as many goals against as he creates.   I know +/- isn’t a perfect stat but even in Ottawa he was a minus player more often than not.   

Guess there is a reason he keeps ending up on terrible teams. 

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

100%, they play such boring hockey that is astronomically worse than the trap. I also don’t wish Palms or Parise (or any former Devil) any success, hope they keep choking

Also, hey Winnipeg, an you please put the final dagger in Nashville’s coffin and earn a point already?!

I don't really have anything against Palms...not just because I was fond of him (obviously I was), but because he was clearly starting to decline that final season here and Fitz not only chose to move on, but was able to get something back in a deal involving him.  Devils got his best and most cost-effective seasons, and Isles signed up for past-his-prime years...good enough for me.  Parise apparently talking to his pal Suter about where they could play together while the Devils' season was still in play...sure he's not the first guy to do something like that, but doesn't mean that I have to like it.  Or HIM.  I'll give him some credit in that he's produced more for the Isles (especially given that he's making pennies) than I ever thought possible.  Hasn't even missed a game for them.  

Yeah, Isles feel like a reflection of their GM, who in spite of his overall greatness just feels like he's becoming more and more of a "game's passing him by" fossil...and yeah, they're just DULL.  They've needed Vezina-level goaltending just to stay afloat in the WC hunt...and that might not even be good enough at this point.  

3 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I’ve just never been a fan.  To me, It seems like he causes just as many goals against as he creates.   I know +/- isn’t a perfect stat but even in Ottawa he was a minus player more often than not.   

He's like a rich man's Severson in some ways.

I see him as a guy who if he's on your bad team, he gives you a reason to see how high he might finish on the leaderboards...but he might simply be THE ultimate "bad team" player.  I'm curious to see if anyone ever actually even considers biting on the remainder of his deal; he still has FOUR years to go, for what will be his Age 33-36 seasons...not to mention as bloated as his offensive numbers are this year (along with several other players, in what's been a higher-scoring season than most NHL seasons recently), if I'm some GM thinking about trading for him, his prior four seasons are VERY fresh in my mind.  

Phil Housley had that reputation as a “bad team” defenseman too. It’s important to remember that these types of players are so good on the power play and that doesn’t show up in plus-minus. But Housley was one-dimensional and I suppose Karlsson is as well. 

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's like a rich man's Severson in some ways.

I see him as a guy who if he's on your bad team, he gives you a reason to see how high he might finish on the leaderboards...but he might simply be THE ultimate "bad team" player.  I'm curious to see if anyone ever actually even considers biting on the remainder of his deal; he still has FOUR years to go, for what will be his Age 33-36 seasons...not to mention as bloated as his offensive numbers are this year (along with several other players, in what's been a higher-scoring season than most NHL seasons recently), if I'm some GM thinking about trading for him, his prior four seasons are VERY fresh in my mind.  

this just made me realize I'm a full calendar year older than Palmieri. Ugh. 

3 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

this just made me realize I'm a full calendar year older than Palmieri. Ugh. 

I’m still young enough to play…

…as long as I’m Gordie Howe

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't really have anything against Palms...not just because I was fond of him (obviously I was), but because he was clearly starting to decline that final season here and Fitz not only chose to move on, but was able to get something back in a deal involving him.  Devils got his best and most cost-effective seasons, and Isles signed up for past-his-prime years...good enough for me.  Parise apparently talking to his pal Suter about where they could play together while the Devils' season was still in play...sure he's not the first guy to do something like that, but doesn't mean that I have to like it.  Or HIM.  I'll give him some credit in that he's produced more for the Isles (especially given that he's making pennies) than I ever thought possible.  Hasn't even missed a game for them.  

Yeah, Isles feel like a reflection of their GM, who in spite of his overall greatness just feels like he's becoming more and more of a "game's passing him by" fossil...and yeah, they're just DULL.  They've needed Vezina-level goaltending just to stay afloat in the WC hunt...and that might not even be good enough at this point.  

Oh it’s nothing against Palms, I just hate watching him dunk on us when we play him. I was bummed when we decided to cut the cord and set him free cause I REALLY wanted to attend the military ball he would host. Woulda been a cool opportunity for me and the wife, #ThanksCOVID, too

Parise and Lou I don’t want any success for, period. (Any more success in Lou’s case)

i went into this article prepared to make fun of McKenna for whining, but instead got some whining aboht how hard he worked to be more than journeyman but these few guys off the street get an ATO and handed a spot, with pointing out a large part out Toronto circumventing the cap to not waive anyone

5 hours ago, jagknife said:

i went into this article prepared to make fun of McKenna for whining, but instead got some whining aboht how hard he worked to be more than journeyman but these few guys off the street get an ATO and handed a spot, with pointing out a large part out Toronto circumventing the cap to not waive anyone

So, to be clear, he is mad that the NHL rules are in place in such a way that a team like TOR can, and has to, sign a G to an ATO rather than call up a minor league goalie that would make more money to sit on the bench for that one game? Some of the article makes it sound like he's mad the guys get to play at all, like for that one minute at the end of a game, and the other part he makes it seem like he has a legit point. I can't tell if he is salty about the sentiment or has some actual beef.

17 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

So, to be clear, he is mad that the NHL rules are in place in such a way that a team like TOR can, and has to, sign a G to an ATO rather than call up a minor league goalie that would make more money to sit on the bench for that one game? Some of the article makes it sound like he's mad the guys get to play at all, like for that one minute at the end of a game, and the other part he makes it seem like he has a legit point. I can't tell if he is salty about the sentiment or has some actual beef.

Oh the article is very all over the place, but he’s mad the leafs are cheating the system… and some no name person is getting a shot in the NHL on a regular basis cause teams are cheating the system…

Watching Leafs vs Lightning between periods.   Two things: 

1.   I think the Leafs are probably the better team at this point but in a 7 game series, how terrified to they have to be with the goaltenders being what they are?   

2.  If it goes 7, I think the Leafs would  actually be better off it the last game were in Tampa.   Too much pressure on these guys in the Mecca of Hockey.  

Isles - Canadiens underway.

Curious to see how hard the Canadiens play.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

3 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

Canadiens are legitimately trying to lose this game, they look atrocious.  I know they’re bad but they truly look like they’re giving this game away.

Actually I think they’re trying and they’re skating hard, but yeah, they’re not good.  They did just come close to tying it up a couple of times just now.