New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

@Satans Hockeyalso fair to point out that scoring is up and there’s a LOT of electrifying talent in the league at the moment.  PLENTY of guys worth promoting right now!  The NHL can absolutely do a much better job getting those names out there.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@Satans Hockeyalso fair to point out that scoring is up and there’s a LOT of electrifying talent in the league right now.  PLENTY of guys worth promoting right now!  The NHL can absolutely do a much better job getting those names out there.  

I also liked Jack’s point in the interview when he said 3 on 3 OT should go 10 minutes and that there would be a winner by the end of it. He also said the shootout robs the viewers of potential great plays 3 on 3

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Not sure if this was talked about here, I agree with a lot of his points, especially the current playoff format. I'd also bet that these awful digital ads and the nonstop betting sh!t made some people tune out as well... 

I agree with everything Colaiacovo says here. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Not sure if this was talked about here, I agree with a lot of his points, especially the current playoff format. I'd also bet that these awful digital ads and the nonstop betting sh!t made some people tune out as well... 

He’s right. How do we have 82 games and only 4 against the Rags? Only 28ish against our division? That leaves 54 games out of division or conference. In the 80s and 90s when there were huge rivalries, you played divisional opponents 6-8 times each per season. It built amazing rivalries, and then if you matched up in the playoffs there was already a storyline going into it.

The NHL acknowledges 8 teams and maybe 10 stars. They held a vote for the all star game and then just put whoever they want in it. 

And I miss the 1-8 playoff format with re-seeding every round. Why waste a matchup with the 2 best teams in a conference in round 2? Hell if it wasn’t for travel issues, a 1-16 format would be crazy. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

He’s right. How do we have 82 games and only 4 against the Rags? Only 28ish against our division? That leaves 54 games out of division or conference. In the 80s and 90s when there were huge rivalries, you played divisional opponents 6-8 times each per season. It built amazing rivalries, and then if you matched up in the playoffs there was already a storyline going into it.

The NHL acknowledges 8 teams and maybe 10 stars. They held a vote for the all star game and then just put whoever they want in it. 

And I miss the 1-8 playoff format with re-seeding every round. Why waste a matchup with the 2 best teams in a conference in round 2? Hell if it wasn’t for travel issues, a 1-16 format would be crazy. 

The Rangers and Islanders played their last game against each other for the season in December. DECEMBER. W.T.F.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I wouldn't be too upset. This has been mostly boring as hell.

I'm not really upset but it's silly that some arenas have been hosting it 2x since Prudential Center even got one.

There hasn't been one in our area since 94 at MSG. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm not really upset but it's silly that some arenas have been hosting it 2x since Prudential Center even got one.

They managed to make an ASG in Miami boring... Imagine how awful it would be in Newark? How many people are going to want to travel to be there? You think NJ fans are going to sell that out? The fact NYC is so close would probably be the only saving grace. I'm not even sure how they'd market it since it's not like they could use a Jersey Shore theme or anything, and not trying to be too negative but the food and presentation at the arena isn't great either.

This whole thing is a cash grab anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

And you know MSG will get one again before the Rock does.

13 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

They managed to make an ASG in Miami boring... Imagine how awful it would be in Newark? How many people are going to want to travel to be there? You think NJ fans are going to sell that out? The fact NYC is so close would probably be the only saving grace. I'm not even sure how they'd market it since it's not like they could use a Jersey Shore theme or anything, and not trying to be too negative but the food and presentation at the arena isn't great either.

This whole thing is a cash grab anyway.

I think it easily sells out, you don't need anyone to travel to it when we have 4 teams in a 90 mins area. 

Having one here is probably the only way I'll ever go lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

They threw us a draft and basically said “you’ll take this and like it”

5 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah but they always swing the pendulum too far in either direction.   The NHL went division heavy for a period of time and it absolutely sucked.   You beat the Rangers or Pens and you had bragging rights for like 5 days.   Meanwhile, Crosby and Ovi went several years between playing at certain Western conference arenas.  

Maybe they could get rid of the crossover games within conference in favor or more divisional games?  

Home and Home with 24 teams is 48 games.   That leaves 34 games for the 7 metro opponents which squeezes a 5th game for each “rival” minus one.   

37 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Yeah but they always swing the pendulum too far in either direction.   The NHL went division heavy for a period of time and it absolutely sucked.   You beat the Rangers or Pens and you had bragging rights for like 5 days.   Meanwhile, Crosby and Ovi went several years between playing at certain Western conference arenas.  

Maybe they could get rid of the crossover games within conference in favor or more divisional games?  

Home and Home with 24 teams is 48 games.   That leaves 34 games for the 7 metro opponents which squeezes a 5th game for each “rival” minus one.   

Maybe something where you only play 1 western division twice in a season? Like, we’d play home and away against all the Pacific teams and one game against each central team. Then the next year play central twice and pacific once. Kind of like the way the NFL rotates cross-conference games? I’m sure there’s some way to work it out.

It seems unbalanced to me that we didn’t play the Rangers until late November (game 22 for us) and Carolina until December 20 (game 31) but we had already played Calgary , Edmonton and several Atlantic division teams twice at least by then 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Maybe something where you only play 1 western division twice in a season? Like, we’d play home and away against all the Pacific teams and one game against each central team. Then the next year play central twice and pacific once. Kind of like the way the NFL rotates cross-conference games? I’m sure there’s some way to work it out.

It seems unbalanced to me that we didn’t play the Rangers until late November (game 22 for us) and Carolina until December 20 (game 31) but we had already played Calgary , Edmonton and several Atlantic division teams twice at least by then 

The NFL is a different animal because of how few games there are.  

Personally, if I had a say, I would never agree to anything that doesn’t have every team play at every arena every year.   I don’t want to wait to see McDavid every other year and Western conference fans will hopefully feel the same about Hughes.  

I don’t even think the number of games against the metro teams matters as much as the spacing of the games.  That seems like the main complaint.   If we play the Rangers once each in October, December, February and early April, is anyone upset?