New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The irony is that if Hall had been re-signed to big money here, fans would really REALLY be hating him now.  Imagine paying well over $8 million AAV on a long-term deal for these numbers, with Hall constantly being compared to his MVP season, and still having 5 years to go (assuming he'd been signed to max term)...and the below is the return through three seasons:

195 GP, 46 G, 84 A, 130 Pts 

Imagine if we were still rolling with big money deals for Taylor Hall AND Kovalchuk?   

Hall was like a perfect stock trade.  The Devils got in at the right time and cost and did the same on the way out.  Shero was smart not to lock us into a long term deal when the injuries started.     

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Imagine if we were still rolling with big money deals for Taylor Hall AND Kovalchuk?   

Hall was like a perfect stock trade.  The Devils got in at the right time and cost and did the same on the way out.  Shero was smart not to lock us into a long term deal when the injuries started.     

I think it became a case of mutual disinterest…Shero wanted to see if Hall would bounce back from his knee injury, and Hall wanted to see if the Devils were going to be any good.  Neither happened (Hall hasn’t come close to that MVP production in the seasons since), so no numbers exchanged.  And yeah Shero did make a solid deal to get assets…especially not waiting TOO long to make a deal.

And speaking of assets, of course Fitz nailed it on the first-rounder he got back (became Dawson Mercer) and dealt off the third-rounder from Arizona to Washington for Siegs.  And Bahl appears to be making a case to earn a spot.  So two regulars already in the Devils lineup, with potentially a third.  For a guy who's now on his fourth team since being dealt from NJ and looks more and more ordinary with each passing season.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Is it a new trend to terrorize ourself with alternate universe ? 
What if scenarios are coming so often these days (What if we didn't land Hugues & Nico ? And now .. what if we kept Hall ? Kovy ? ) 

Is the next What if will be "We could enjoy being a devils fans without looking what the Rangers are doing " ; ) 

Looking forward this one ! 

22 minutes ago, moustic said:

Is it a new trend to terrorize ourself with alternate universe ? 
What if scenarios are coming so often these days (What if we didn't land Hugues & Nico ? And now .. what if we kept Hall ? Kovy ? ) 

Is the next What if will be "We could enjoy being a devils fans without looking what the Rangers are doing " ; ) 

Looking forward this one ! 

Offseason talk.  Just not much going on right now, until Meier re-signs, Sharangovich is moved, and Fitz then starts re-signing some of the kids.  Those "What if" scenarios can be kinda fun sometimes, just because...they can make you realize just how lucky you are that a certain scenario didn't "work out".  For all we know there's dozen or so Coyotes fans lamenting "Dammit, imagine if WE had Mercer right now instead of making a deal for a guy who was only here for about half a season and didn't make much of a difference!  fvck!"

Rangers are especially fresh in our minds at the moment due to the playoff series against them...considering how long both teams have been in this area, they haven't really faced each other THAT much in the playoffs, so when it happens AND when the Devils beat them, it's a big deal and it adds serious fuel to the rivalry fire. 

And in fairness if you lived in this area, you'd see firsthand how annoying and stupid so many of their fans are...it makes it THAT much easier to hate their fanbase and that team and yeah, it makes keeping track of Lafreniere and Kakko's struggles that much more fun.    

Having been there for Games 1 and 2, watching them act like their team already had that series won, all the chest-beating that they were doing...with that team clearly in full-on "It's OUR time, we're going for it!" mode...yeah, their sweet failure's still on the brain.  Oh well, heh heh.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Offseason talk.  Just not much going on right now, until Meier re-signs, Sharangovich is moved, and Fitz then starts re-signing some of the kids.  Those "What if" scenarios can be kinda fun sometimes, just because...they can make you realize just how lucky you are that a certain scenario didn't "work out".  For all we know there's dozen or so Coyotes fans lamenting "Dammit, imagine if WE had Mercer right now instead of making a deal for a guy who was only here for about half a season and didn't make much of a difference!  fvck!"

Rangers are especially fresh in our minds at the moment due to the playoff series against them...considering how long both teams have been in this area, they haven't really faced each other THAT much in the playoffs, so when it happens AND when the Devils beat them, it's a big deal and it adds serious fuel to the rivalry fire. 

And in fairness if you lived in this area, you'd see firsthand how annoying and stupid so many of their fans are...it makes it THAT much easier to hate their fanbase and that team and yeah, it makes keeping track of Lafreniere and Kakko's struggles that much more fun.    

Having been there for Games 1 and 2, watching them act like their team already had that series won, all the chest-beating that they were doing...with that team clearly in full-on "It's OUR time, we're going for it!" mode...yeah, their sweet failure's still on the brain.  Oh well, heh heh.

Don't get me wrong.. it's totally fine to have these chats/topic.. i'm not judging a single second there ; ) 
And i was there for many offeseasons already.. i know how slow it will be ; ) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moustic said:

Don't get me wrong.. it's totally fine to have these chats/topic.. i'm not judging a single second there ; ) 
And i was there for many offeseasons already.. i know how slow it will be ; ) 

It’s a different kind of offseason in ways because it’s more of a “status quo”…mostly guys being re-upped.  Probably no blockbuster moves coming.  And obviously no first-round pick this year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t want Erik Karlsson going to Carolina.

They can have him...he's a cap-killer and who knows if he can repeat last season.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They can have him...he's a cap-killer and who knows if he can repeat last season.  

Also, based on their history of acquiring players who have had serious injuries in their past (patches) I would worry about them being cursed

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I hear ya. He could still end up helping them though. Last year’s Karlsson on that team would be dangerous.

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I hear ya. He could still end up helping them though. Last year’s Karlsson on that team would be dangerous.

Man that's SUCH a gamble...he's already 33, has four years left on his current deal, and heaven forbid you get the more meh-ish Karlsson of the previous four seasons.

I'm guessing on the plus side, the more of his cap hit that you're willing to take on, the less you have to give up in any real assets.  Even if SJ has to take on, say $2 million or so, you still probably don't have to give up THAT much...it's a cap hit that I'm sure the Sharks simply want to get off their books, even if Karlsson just won another Norris.  And his age and the seasons leading up to this one have to hinder his value some.  

• Like 1

Wow.  8.5 is a lot of money for a 60 point 2C 

Edit: Here's a shorter version of the tweet I tried to embed 

Chris Johnston

@reporterchris

·

25m

Hearing the eight-year extension for Pierre-Luc Dubois will carry an $8.5M AAV in the sign-and-trade with Los Angeles.

Edited by Lateralous

@Lateralous especially for a guy who seems like he can be, well, "difficult".  Glad it's not the Devils picking up the check.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ah well. Guess that ship sailed with getting Toffoli.

For all we know, Fitz made the same offer, but his 2nd is much lower (58OA).

• Like 1

I am now 100% in the f*ck Eklund camp now haha

Damn Damn Damn............I wanted this kid badly.

Alas, like it was noted above, yesterday's news ended this

I do believe he will be a UFA after this season tho...............

Edited by Jimmy Leeds

23 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Lol yeah Eklund kinda sucks.  Wouldn’t surprise me if this was in the works at some point, but then Colorado jumped in with a pick 21 slots higher.  

image.jpeg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Damn Damn Damn............I wanted this kid badly.

Alas, like it was noted above, yesterday's news ended this

I do believe he will be a UFA after this season tho...............

Haha I look at his trash every so often… when I’m really desperate for a hockey fix.

I honestly listen to NHL Rumors Daily podcast, it’s an okay listen if you ignore Merriman’s Buffalo homerism. Example: last week’s episode, he insisted the Sabres were “one piece away from being dangerous”

NRD isn’t bad himself, and he has been right a heck of a lot more than Eklund ever was.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lol yeah Eklund kinda sucks.  Wouldn’t surprise me if this was in the works at some point, but then Colorado jumped in with a pick 21 slots higher.  

image.jpeg

Only kinda? This board used to have a plugin that would put (2.3% accurate) after his name whenever anyone posted it 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Only kinda? This board used to have a plugin that would put (2.3% accurate) after his name whenever anyone posted it 😂

Yeah with that weird “E” at the beginning heh heh