New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

What do you think LaFailure gets?  I'm guessing around $2.5 AAV for 2 years.  

EDIT:  According to Capfriendly, the Rangers don't have enough, though I'm guessing they could manage some kind of finagling...of course, they can simply try to sign LaFailure to a little less money:

New York Rangers Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

This is a few days old but I didn’t see it posted yet.  

Welp. I take back my comment from earlier then. If McLeod was in any way part of that sh!t, I honestly want him gone. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Welp. I take back my comment from earlier then. If McLeod was in any way part of that sh!t, I honestly want him gone. 

I’d like to think that Fitz and McLeod already had some kind of “Is there anything ya wanna tell me Mike?” conversation.  At least this is finally coming to a resolution, where we have some idea of who was involved, and how much.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 5:50 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That four-goal game came against the Rangers, in just his third NHL game…and right after a two-goal game against the Coyotes.  Six goals through three games…hell of a start.

Hertl and Timo are kind of similar, in that the promise of what people thought they could become hasn’t truly come to fruition.  Hard to believe that Hertl has only two 30+ goal campaigns to his name thus far, but that’s it.  And both Hertl and Timo have had some surprisingly lean years here and there…that’s why neither one is even close to a PPG for their careers.

Timo is an interesting case because now he’s been “freed”…there really is very little excuse for him not to start putting up consistently solid numbers as a Devil.  The complementary talent is in place here to bring out his very best; hell, as we all very well know, a guy he has terrific chemistry with in Nico appears to be completely hitting his stride.

To be clear, I have no issue with Timo being brought here, at all…Fitz wouldn’t just go all out in assets, AAV, and term if he didn’t fully believe Timo could thrive here.  And I give him a full pass for not exactly shredding it last year, because it was expected he’d have to make adjustments.  But no excuses…he can’t finish with, say, 25 goals or so, with 50-55 points…if he can manage 75+ GP, I need to see about 35-40 and 70-80 points.  I think those are reasonable expectations.  

I would agree. The expectations will be to hit those totals. Basically I would expect near ppg or at least chasing Jack Hughes in the points race. 

Especially for what he gets paid. We can't be at game 60 (healthy) and he only has 30 points. He can't be getting paid like Jack Hughes and putting up Palat or Haula numbers. 

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

I would agree. The expectations will be to hit those totals. Basically I would expect near ppg or at least chasing Jack Hughes in the points race. 

Especially for what he gets paid. We can't be at game 60 (healthy) and he only has 30 points. He can't be getting paid like Jack Hughes and putting up Palat or Haula numbers. 

I think a healthy Jack will be good for over 100 points…I really do.  Maybe even 110+…I feel like he’s THAT good.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hockey Canada is a joke organization. I would rather Hockey Canada just disband so this never happens again. 

No hockey Canada, no "incident". Simple as. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah, there really needs to start being more accountability for these types of events.   If he was involved, I hope the Devils just move on.  Maybe having a progressive management group with several women in important positions will mean we actually make better decisions (if necessary) than what we've come to expect in these type situations.  Aside from the morality part of it, there's too much other good stuff going on with this club to have this potential black cloud hanging over it.    

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’d like to think that Fitz and McLeod already had some kind of “Is there anything ya wanna tell me Mike?” conversation.  At least this is finally coming to a resolution, where we have some idea of who was involved, and how much.

Can he even do that?  I actually think not knowing how this is going to play out is the reason McLeod only received a 1 year deal.  That way management knows the full results before making any type of longer commitment.   

12 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Hockey Canada is a joke organization. I would rather Hockey Canada just disband so this never happens again. 

Yeah, they are the worst but sure enough, financially I think they are right back to where they were before this whole mess.  Pretty sure all the government funding is back, sponsors with short memories are back, etc.     

14 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Yeah, there really needs to start being more accountability for these types of events.   If he was involved, I hope the Devils just move on.  Maybe having a progressive management group with several women in important positions will mean we actually make better decisions (if necessary) than what we've come to expect in these type situations.  Aside from the morality part of it, there's too much other good stuff going on with this club to have this potential black cloud hanging over it.    

Can he even do that?  I actually think not knowing how this is going to play out is the reason McLeod only received a 1 year deal.  That way management knows the full results before making any type of longer commitment.   

Yeah, they are the worst but sure enough, financially I think they are right back to where they were before this whole mess.  Pretty sure all the government funding is back, sponsors with short memories are back, etc.     

It IS the players responsibility to walk away from "incidents" like that before it even starts, even at 17-18, but at this point we are going on 7-8 years here of "investigation". 

It's not right for the accuser or the accused to have it lingering around this long as unresolved. Could you imagine if it was an actual criminal investigation and the accuser is waiting this long for them to file charges or imagine if McLeod was 30 years old, instead of 26. Universities and Colleges don't take this long to "investigate" sh!t like this. 

That's why I don't think there will be any punishment regardless of the "verdict" on these players. Hockey Canada will simply clear itself of any wrongdoing as any gov't funded institution would after they "investigated" themselves. Punishing the players would be admitting that Hockey Canada did something bad being the responsible party for junior players. Frankly the players whose names have been involved in this will never fully repair their reputations regardless of what these investigators or Hockey Canada says. The investigation itself has likely been completely over for the last 5 years and they've spent this time trying to figure out how to put it out publicly because they are awful, terrible people who have to focus on the image of Hockey Canada. Do you think they care more about Hockey Canada's reputation or the individual reputations of these players? They will do what any gov't org would do. Pay the woman off and sweep it under the rug. Look at the United States Congress putting all of their sexual harassment cases/incidents into a little binder that they lock up and throw away the key after the woman has been sufficiently paid off.

The reporter who has been pushing Hockey Canada on this issue has been absolutely feckless in pushing them to put this issue to bed. Media wants it to stay alive for as long as possible because it's a story that once dead, is dead. 

Any of them who are still currently playing will simply be fired if is found/believed they did bad things. Pro athletes can have their contracts simply terminated if they break any laws or commit any unlawful acts. Look at how the NHL treated Voynov? How willing were the LA Kings or the NHL for that matter willing to honor that contract?  

That being said, I think you're right regarding McLeod's contract status, I think he gets 2 or 3 years like Bastian (if no incident), because they both were pretty vocal in their short presser about their new deals about coming back and being a part of this group. I hope McLeod's involvement was basically null and I hope the woman has found some level of peace.

34 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

It IS the players responsibility to walk away from "incidents" like that before it even starts, even at 17-18, but at this point we are going on 7-8 years here of "investigation". 

It's not right for the accuser or the accused to have it lingering around this long as unresolved. Could you imagine if it was an actual criminal investigation and the accuser is waiting this long for them to file charges or imagine if McLeod was 30 years old, instead of 26. Universities and Colleges don't take this long to "investigate" sh!t like this. 

That's why I don't think there will be any punishment regardless of the "verdict" on these players. Hockey Canada will simply clear itself of any wrongdoing as any gov't funded institution would after they "investigated" themselves. Punishing the players would be admitting that Hockey Canada did something bad being the responsible party for junior players. Frankly the players whose names have been involved in this will never fully repair their reputations regardless of what these investigators or Hockey Canada says. The investigation itself has likely been completely over for the last 5 years and they've spent this time trying to figure out how to put it out publicly because they are awful, terrible people who have to focus on the image of Hockey Canada. Do you think they care more about Hockey Canada's reputation or the individual reputations of these players? They will do what any gov't org would do. Pay the woman off and sweep it under the rug. Look at the United States Congress putting all of their sexual harassment cases/incidents into a little binder that they lock up and throw away the key after the woman has been sufficiently paid off.

The reporter who has been pushing Hockey Canada on this issue has been absolutely feckless in pushing them to put this issue to bed. Media wants it to stay alive for as long as possible because it's a story that once dead, is dead. 

Any of them who are still currently playing will simply be fired if is found/believed they did bad things. Pro athletes can have their contracts simply terminated if they break any laws or commit any unlawful acts. Look at how the NHL treated Voynov? How willing were the LA Kings or the NHL for that matter willing to honor that contract?  

That being said, I think you're right regarding McLeod's contract status, I think he gets 2 or 3 years like Bastian (if no incident), because they both were pretty vocal in their short presser about their new deals about coming back and being a part of this group. I hope McLeod's involvement was basically null and I hope the woman has found some level of peace.

Regarding the timeline of events.  I'm under the impression the step father went to Hockey Canada about this the morning after the alleged incident.  It was eventually quietly put to bed via a settlement so no charges were made, formal investigations stopped, etc.   Something happened years later where it came to light that Hockey Canada had a slush fund to make these types of occurrences go away and that's where all the attention started up again.  Public funds and sponsorship dollars were secretly being used to  get Canada's young stars out of trouble.  I'm pretty sure the victim doesn't have anything to do with this other than possibly cooperating with the investigators upon request.   

What frustrates me about this Hockey Canada scandal is all the other bullsh!t, not here cause almost everyone has a fully functional brain, but Reddit/Twitter/et Al.

The torches and pitchforks are out making assumptions and internet sleuths are out blanket shaming players.

The victim probably will never receive closure nor the absolute justice because it’s clear the London police aren’t going to do much of anything ESPECIALLY when they say “we have enough to charge 5 players” — then fvcking do it. Do your goddamn jobs, work with the Canadian equivalent of a DA and get it done.

we also have keyboard warriors dragging the NHL for it. These idiots think the NHL can release information before the police or conduct their own investigation and punish the players themselves.

Just release the damn findings already and at least that part be done.

• Like 1