New Around The League Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

I live around the Yinzers, they are good people. 

Ok I’ll be more specific; the Yinzers that are Steelers fans and travel to away games in droves. In my experience they’re as bad as any fanbase out there. 

Edited by Nicomo

Leafs' goalie Ilya Samsonov awarded a one-year, $3.55 million contract in arbitration.  That puts the Leafs at well over $12 million OVER the cap at this point.

What's insane is all of the money that they'll have to spend during the 2024 offseason...right now according to Capfriendly they'll have over $46 million and change in cap space next season...but of course, there's a reason for that.  They have a TON of UFA after this season:

Matthews

Nylander

Bertuzzi

Domi

Lafferty

Gambrell

Brodie

Klingberg

Giordano

Murray

Samsonov

Muzzin

A couple of RFA too.

Basically, that franchise is going to have a LOT of room to completely makeover their team, if that's the direction that they choose to go in.  The big question will be do they entertain trading any of the Core Four and/or anyone else on this UFA-to-be list in trying to land some assets for the future?  They have no second round picks over the next three drafts.  

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Leafs' goalie Ilya Samsonov awarded a one-year, $3.55 million contract in arbitration.  That puts the Leafs at well over $12 million OVER the cap at this point.

What's insane is all of the money that they'll have to spend during the 2024 offseason...right now according to Capfriendly they'll have over $46 million and change in cap space next season...but of course, there's a reason for that.  They have a TON of UFA after this season:

Matthews

Nylander

Bertuzzi

Domi

Lafferty

Gambrell

Brodie

Klingberg

Giordano

Murray

Samsonov

Muzzin

A couple of RFA too.

Basically, that franchise is going to have a LOT of room to completely makeover their team, if that's the direction that they choose to go in.  The big question will be do they entertain trading any of the Core Four and/or anyone else on this UFA-to-be list in trying to land some assets for the future?  They have no second round picks over the next three drafts.  

They're in a real pickle.   

Due to the brilliance of Dubas, both Matthews and Marner now have full NTCs that just kicked in on July 1st of this year, so both can walk straight to UFA unless the Leafs hit their salary demands.    Tavares also has a full NTC and at this point, probably doesn't have that much value for the salary he makes.  That kind of leaves Nylander as the odd man out by default if they want to make any type of meaningful change.   That being said, you can make a lot of money in Toronto just running back the same 110-115 point regular season core of players every year so I'm not sure how aggressive they want to be.  

Personally, I would have Nylander on the block for either a comparable defensemen (Pesce?) to help balance out that roster or I would try and trade him for a package similar to what the Jets got for Dubois with a couple of good NHLers, a prospect and a pick to help replenish organizational depth.  The cap is set to finally go up significantly but because of the length of the RFA contracts Marner, Matthews and Nylander signed, the Leafs will be right back in the same position if they just re-sign them all at the expected salary increase each will demand.   I guess they could also just try to ride out the Tavares contract and then use that cap room to start patching the holes.  I mean with Tampa and Boston both a year older, Toronto has to be the favorite to finish 1st in the Atlantic, right?         

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

They're in a real pickle.   

Due to the brilliance of Dubas, both Matthews and Marner now have full NTCs that just kicked in on July 1st of this year, so both can walk straight to UFA unless the Leafs hit their salary demands.    Tavares also has a full NTC and at this point, probably doesn't have that much value for the salary he makes.  That kind of leaves Nylander as the odd man out by default if they want to make any type of meaningful change.   That being said, you can make a lot of money in Toronto just running back the same 110-115 point regular season core of players every year so I'm not sure how aggressive they want to be.  

Personally, I would have Nylander on the block for either a comparable defensemen (Pesce?) to help balance out that roster or I would try and trade him for a package similar to what the Jets got for Dubois with a couple of good NHLers, a prospect and a pick to help replenish organizational depth.  The cap is set to finally go up significantly but because of the length of the RFA contracts Marner, Matthews and Nylander signed, the Leafs will be right back in the same position if they just re-sign them all at the expected salary increase each will demand.   I guess they could also just try to ride out the Tavares contract and then use that cap room to start patching the holes.  I mean with Tampa and Boston both a year older, Toronto has to be the favorite to finish 1st in the Atlantic, right?         

Yeah they're not necessarily screwed from a "money to spend" standpoint (as I detailed, they'll have plenty of it, even if they extend Matthews), as much as they are trying to recoup much in the way of assets for the Core Four...Tavares, Matthews and Marner can all basically say "OK, I'll waive my NTC, but you either deal me to THIS team or you're stuck with me!"  And I don't blame them...if they're given that kind of leverage, they have every right to use it.

And you are right, in that it's a BIG a$$ cap hit some other team will have to take on.  Maybe some teams would be interested in one year or less of Tavares with the Leafs retaining at least 40% of his remaining dollars...maybe then the Leafs might get back a useful piece or two.

Maybe they do a little better in a Nylander trade, if Nylander's dealt AND his new team gets to negotiate a new deal with him prior to the trade.

I guess one big question is do those four ever dare say "OK, we made our big money and we didn't win a fvcking thing outside of one playoff round, maybe this time we take less in relation to the cap and that will gives us a better chance to stop being a meme?"  Do they care about actually WINNING enough to take less?  And if anything I don't even dream of extending Tavares, who's about to play his Age 33 and 34 seasons.  I guess if I'm DUmBasS and I want to keep some semblance of status quo, I keep Matthews, Marner, and Nylander...at least they figure to have a nice chunk of prime years left.  

41 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

fvcking losers. Hope they have an incredibly disappointing season.

@MadDog2020 called that one a mile away.  Yeah fvck the Canes.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

fvcking losers. Hope they have an incredibly disappointing season.

Yeah but unfortunately I think this is a really shrewd move by the Canes.   I was hoping they would acquire that boat anchor of a contract from San Jose.  

Would you rather pay a 27 year old guy that you know fits in your system 1.6 million on a 1 year term or trade assets for a 33 year old who probably gets you about 15-20 more points on the season while paying him 11.5 million minus retention for 4 more years?   

I know EK65 had about 60 more points last season but he was probably on the ice for 100 more goals against.  I don’t think he comes anywhere near that point total on a team that’s actually trying to win hockey games and is asking him to play a serious style of hockey.   

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Yeah but unfortunately I think this is a really shrewd move by the Canes.   I was hoping they would acquire that boat anchor of a contract from San Jose.  

Would you rather pay a 27 year old guy that you know fits in your system 1.6 million on a 1 year term or trade assets for a 33 year old who probably gets you about 15-20 more points on the season while paying him 11.5 million minus retention for 4 more years?   

I know EK65 had about 60 more points last season but he was probably on the ice for 100 more goals against.  I don’t think he comes anywhere near that point total on a team that’s actually trying to win hockey games and is asking him to play a serious style of hockey.   

Karlsson could’ve put up 120 points last season and I would still want no part of him.  Not at his age and cap hit…not to mention the previous seasons that were a FAR cry from his 2022-23 campaign.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Karlsson could’ve put up 120 points last season and I would still want no part of him.  Not at his age and cap hit…not to mention the previous seasons that were a FAR cry from his 2022-23 campaign.

Honestly, the only team that makes any sense to me for Karlsson is Pittsburgh.  They’ve already won their 3 cups with Crosby/Malkin and owe it to these guys to let them play it out for a few more years as Penguins while they’re still highly productive.   Why not add one of their peers who also still has a burning desire to win a cup?   We know it probably doesn’t lead to much more than 1st round playoff appearances but ownership is probably happy to push off burning it down for a full rebuild for 2-3 more years of exciting hockey, guaranteed sell outs and a round or two of playoff revenue.   I would.     

Edited by Lateralous

29 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Honestly, the only team that makes any sense to me for Karlsson is Pittsburgh.  They’ve already won their 3 cups with Crosby/Malkin and owe it to these guys to let them play it out for a few more years as Penguins while they’re still highly productive.   Why not add one of their peers who also still has a burning desire to win a cup?   We know it probably doesn’t lead to much more than 1st round playoff appearances but ownership is probably happy to push off burning it down for a full rebuild for 2-3 more years of exciting hockey, guaranteed sell outs a round or two of playoff revenue.   I would.     

Yeah probably won’t work as far as trying to win another Cup goes, but that’s the one team that might as well take a…well…”might as well” approach.  When the full crash-and-burn inevitably comes, sometime over the next 2-4 years, so be it.

6 hours ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

And bizarre by philly to boot him. Didn't he have a decent season?

Edit: 

42 points but a -27, ya I guess I'm wrong

and a real a-hole.
Not a guy you want to rebuild around or lead the locker room. 

20 minutes ago, aylbert said:

and a real a-hole.
Not a guy you want to rebuild around or lead the locker room. 

I think it's a situation in Carolina where there's firmly established leadership in their lockerroom, and it's a question of "OK pal, you show up, do your job, keep your mouth shut, and don't do anything stupid.  Because even though we know you can help, no one here is dealing with any sh!t from you."

There's a reason he's only there on a one-year deal @ $1.6 million.  If he screws up or pisses off his teammates, and they flat-out tell management "We don't need this guy, we'll figure it out without him, get him outta here!", $1.6 million is not that hard to eat for the rest of the year.  And as long as he behaves himself, that's how I'd approach it if I'm Carolina...one-year deals.  If he can get more elsewhere, go ahead pal...worked out well in Philly, didn't it?

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

lol

Still the hate for a one time run in with a teammate. Like it's never happened before

C'mon, this is not accurate.  A lot more baggage than that in his past (before he even went to the Rangers)...you can look it up.  He was even told as a Ranger that if there was one more incident before the whole Georgiev mess, that he'd be gone.  It's not like there was this one-time thing that happened and the Rangers booted him right out the door.  

Just now, RizzMB30 said:

Wow. Can't believe it. Boston is going to be in a weird place. 

Even with Bergeron done, there is huge competition for the Selke. Marner and Barkov are going to be up there with Nico every year. Has to stay on top of his game. 

At the very least, looks like Nico should be a Selke finalist a number of times if he can continue to stay healthy and keep being a 70-80 point guy.  Marner definitely puts up a lot of points...tough competition.

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

C'mon, this is not accurate.  A lot more baggage than that in his past (before he even went to the Rangers)...you can look it up.  He was even told as a Ranger that if there was one more incident before the whole Georgiev mess, that he'd be gone.  It's not like there was this one-time thing that happened and the Rangers booted him right out the door.  

Issues aside, he's betting on himself with this contract and he's still a good defensemen who you can shelter on your 3rd pair and let him rip, and can play top 4 defense if you can stomach his defensive awareness. There's a reason he was getting paid so much with his last contract.